• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense, Italy played well, Spain played well as did Germany.

Russia where fantastic as well (not a big football nation I know).

Hahahaa! Germany did not play well, they just about beat a poor Portugal team and were sliced open on more than one occasion. A better side would have put them to the sword (the same goes for England and France for that matter), but Portugal don't have any decent strikers.

Italy and Spain played well, and even though the Dutch got beat they had signs of life in the game. Russia looked great, but they might not be as good against better opposition.

Yen

yeah that was good. fuck these draws though, it's devastating for my gambling damnit.

I really hope Germany/Netherlands can deliver the fireworks.

I'm awaiting a followup to the Battle of Nuremburg, whenn Portugal play the Netherlands.

bjaelke

No idea. But he can't be as good as Mikael Mangod Antonsson.

You naive man child
KuGsj.gif

Now bring on Elmander!

Clegg

I don't see what was so bad about England. They sat deep and held their defensive shape well.

They did what they had to do. They played against a technically superior opposition and got a point. I think thats a good result.

It doesn't matter if they were "boring", they got the result they needed.

Sanjay

France played a defensive 4-5-1 formation and had one forward who rarely went in the penalty box. Actually most the french players never made runs into the penalty box.

At least England when going forward they got players in the box. When England had the ball we attacked and made runs into the penalty box and looked dangerous.

France tried to play like Barcelona having no forwards and an army of midfielders passing sideways and doing one two's and that went no where because they don't have the players.

Kozak

Banned
nah according to kozak it was pure luck and england had amazing play throughout and france were lucky to get the draw against such a stellar side. truly a display for the ages and it's a shame they only got the draw but such is classical tragedy

lol what

I didn't even say it was pure luck. I said it was brought upon by defensive mistakes and it was. The defence allowed far too much space for Nasri and Hart should have stopped it. What chances did France have that weren't outside the box?

England played a reasonably tight and solid game with a few mistakes here and there but I guess you're one of those who believe the attacking side with more possession deserves to win the game.

England deserve a lot of credit. What chance do they have on paper against France? None and so was expressed by England supporters before the match. A point well deserved.

squicken

When will UEFA decide on whether to dock Russia points? I don't see how they can't. The only way to truly stop the hooligans is to make them self-police or risk costing their side

painey

Looks like our entire tournament strategy is 'wait for Rooney'. We are awful today, 2 real shots.. one wasted by Milner and one set piece. Not good enough.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks like our entire tournament strategy is 'wait for Rooney'. We are awful today, 2 real shots.. one wasted by Milner and one set piece. Not good enough.

It was enough to avoid defeat. That's the best we can hope for playing a strong team without Rooney on our side.

leadbelly

Banned

Actually, considering the way England have played in recent years, I don't think we were that bad really. We defended well, we broke up the pitch when we had the chance. If we were a bit more precise when in the final third we could have had one or two good chances.

Don't get me wrong though, we need to improve (we always need to improve) but considering previous England teams have been abysmal, it certainly wasn't the worst performance from them.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't see what was so bad about England. They sat deep and held their defensive shape well.

They did what they had to do. They played against a technically superior opposition and got a point. I think thats a good result.

It doesn't matter if they were "boring", they got the result they needed.

Yep. We had our best player missing and we played against a much technically superior team, and all they did was take long shots.

I'm happy. The people saying England are boring, they need to not listen to the media and the rest of the world, including English media and players, and think we're a big team. We're not. We executed our game plan well. It's the only way we're going to do well.

Sanjay

The assumption that every football game should be open-ended and action packed is so stupid.

Have to agree fuck this Fifa Street mentality and to quote Beckenbauer:-

"That was no magic trick, that was real man's football. With tackles, with passion, with hunger for the fight. That was always the basis of all Germany's European and world titles. Otherwise you win nothing."

after Germany's performance beating Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom