• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

_machine

Consolation boobies are not the worst boobies i guess.
:lol:

I should probably get back to football a bit more; I didn't know Henke quite almost 3 years ago (not that I'm interested in team Swedes much, but he was probably my favorite player of the team) and I don't even currently have any favorite teams in club football. Also need to participate in FootballGAF more :)

bolbronx

eusebio A.K.A "the black pele"

iLDmU7KbhPRi3.gif

Swedes are showing Lustig how to guard the post on corners, top trending subject on swedish twitter.

['IMG]http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/220/220539/22053934/jpg/active/978x.jpg[/IMG]

As terrible as it was, someone should show Zlatan how to mark a man and not just let him run free too.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it'll be anywhere near as large a gap as some people might think. I think Russia might get a bit complacent and draw.

Oh god, I hope not. I want a Poland Czech draw.

Kem0sabe

Pepe is the player with most fouls... on himself...

Pepe,Cristiano,%20Marcelo%20laughing.jpg

Fouls on: Pepe (Portugal); Karagounis (Greece) – 6

National teams:

Shots on target: France - 15
Shots off target: Holland – 20
Possession: Spain – 39 min
Fouls committed: Poland - 22
Fouls suffered: Ukraine; Greece - 20

Perkel

Banned
Poland good points :

- Top level right side staring Blaszczykowski and world class Piszczek.
-Good striker Lewandowski

Bad:

Everything else with defence being the worst.

Rusia mlooks good on paper don't see any bad sides.

Raist

Banned
This is the problem right here. "Fans" think that the team who is pressing forward and making lots of passes that never seem to go anywhere should win over the team who sits deep but vigorously holds their shape as they think it looks better and the pressing team has more of the ball.

Fact is they are both legitimate tactics which have both been proven to have high levels of success. If you are pressing high up the pitch and making runs to create space you also have to problem of your rear being exposed and you are creating gaps to run through or for the opposing striker to beat the offside trap with a well timed pass. If you sit deep (Or park the bus.) and let the opposing team pass the ball about in front of you it doesn't look pretty but it makes you extremely hard to break down and you can take advantage of any gaps and quick through balls that are on.

The real problem is when your tactics no longer work and the game becomes open and desperate which can look great to the fans as the game goes backwards and forwards but this is the definition of bad football and for England that did not happen last night, when in tournaments it usually does.

If Chelsea were not disciplined they would not have won the CL final as their main strength is their defensive unit, if they let their defence lose shape Bayern would have cut through it like butter. You win a football match by scoring more goals then the other team, you don't win it by making more passes or having more shots from 30 yards out simple as that my friend.

There's good defending, and then there's packing two lines of 4 players withing 10m of the goal. This is football, people want to see action, not a game of tetris.

Wilbur

Banned
There's good defending, and then there's packing two lines of 4 players withing 10m of the goal. This is football, people want to see action, not a game of tetris.

Who are you speaking for when you say people? I don't think Stoke or Chelsea fans are going to complain. I can't remember many more times I've been wowed equivalent to the tactical masterclass Inter put out against Barca.

Maybe neutrals, but I want my team to win. Ask any Chelsea fan if they care how ugly they played in the ECL and then ask Barca fans if they would rather their team play pretty or win.

If England went through the tournament winning 1-0 and playing ugly like Chelsea but came away with the trophy no England fan would care that they played ugly to win. Football, above all else, is about getting the win and Chelsea have proved time and time again that playing ugly is no barrier to winning.

Raist

Banned
Who are you speaking for when you say people? I don't think Stoke or Chelsea fans are going to complain. I can't remember many more times I've been wowed equivalent to the tactical masterclass Inter put out against Barca.

The vast majority that found the game quite dull (here, eslewhere on the net and irl), which was a direct consequence of England's tactics.

Wilbur

Banned
The vast majority that found the game quite dull (here, eslewhere on the net and irl), which was a direct consequence of England's tactics.

I don't think it was just England. Like I said before, Denmark played very similar to us. It was Holland and France that set up differently.

Maybe true, but ask England fans (most of whom expected to get beaten) if they care about what anyone else thinks and you should know what answer to expect. England got a point that they never thought they would get, that is a good result and France couldn't break them down. Chelsea are the champions of European club football, they beat Barca to get there and played ugly to do so, it doesn't matter to Chelsea fans that they played ugly to get the trophy, they have the fucking trophy in their cabinet now. Go and ask Arsenal fans what they would rather have, the ECL trophy in their cabinet or to play pretty one touch football and get knocked out in the QF every single time.

Wilbur

Banned
Maybe true, but ask England fans (most of whom expected to get beaten) if they care about what anyone else thinks and you should know what answer to expect. England got a point that they never thought they would get, that is a good result and France couldn't break them down. Chelsea are the champions of European club football, they beat Barca to get there and played ugly to do so, it doesn't matter to Chelsea fans that they played ugly to get the trophy, they have the fucking trophy in their cabinet now. Go and ask Arsenal fans what they would rather have, the ECL trophy in their cabinet or to play pretty one touch football and get knocked out in the QF every single time.

don't ask meus

Clegg

And?

England picked the tactics that best suited the players at their disposal. They were against a technically superior side so adopting a deep line was always going to be the best option to take.

England should be applauded for their performance imo. Not many people gave them a hope of getting anything from France.

I'd take a dull, boring approach all day long if it meant my side got a good result.

Wilbur

Banned
Confuses me when people think England should be playing fantastic free flowing football against a superior side. I repeat, our midfield consisted of Mr Graft Scott Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain (who did try to do some attacking things to be fair), a repressed Gerrard and James fucking Milner.

Clegg

If this thread turns into a repeat of the Champions League final thread then I'm out of here.

So much complaining about anti football and posters making complete fools of themselves.

You play to win. It doesn't matter how you do it. I'll never be able to understand why people think Chelsea were undeserving winners against Barcelona and Bayern.

Wilbur

Banned
If this thread turns into a repeat of the Champions League final thread then I'm out of here.

So much complaining about anti football and posters making complete fools of themselves.

You play to win. It doesn't matter how you do it. I'll never be able to understand why people think Chelsea were undeserving winners against Barcelona and Bayern.

I'm hoping when the other games come on people won't cry about England all the fucking time.

CassSept

untitled-3r9xxf.gif

my reaction to this tournament so far.

For the first round of the group stage it wasn't that boring. Quite on the opposite, relatively it was pretty exciting, group stages tend to be absolute snoozefests as the best teams just screw playing the game and defend at all cost to avoid losing.

Raist

Banned
I understand you England fans' points, but there is a shitload of people who don't have a bias or think "who cares if it was shit, we won/got a good result", and want to see a nice game.
If all you care about is the result, then you might as well check the score in the newspaper. People want to see 22 guys putting on a show, so dull games like this is bound to be a disappointment.
That's the point, no need to be overly defensive (no pun intended).

Yup, Chelsea had the right game plan to win those games. Barca were unable to deal with it just like France couldn't deal with England.

Wilbur

Banned
I understand you England fans' points, but there is a shitload of people who don't have a bias or think "who cares if it was shit, we won/got a good result", and want to see a nice game.
If all you care about is the result, then you might as well check the score in the newspaper. People want to see 22 guys putting on a show, so dull games like this is bound to be a disappointment.
That's the point, no need to be overly defensive (no pun intended).

Nope... the people who don't have a bias, the casual fans, tuning in and expecting 4-4 in every game and some breathtaking attacking play are doing football wrong. There's as much brilliance in a great defensive performance as there is Messi running past 5 players and scoring. I didn't think it was dull because I appreciated that the England defence were doing a good job. I'd understand if you think its boring if you watch Barcelona 4 times a season and thats it.

zonezeus

Our motto for this tournament so far seems to be "We suck at the field, but at least we didn't fuck up the organization!". So yeah, morale in Poland is low, but frankly we never ever win anything in football anyway and I seriously don't understand why is it still considered national sport, when we have top-notch volleyball and handball teams.

Ultimately fans have the right to demand a certain style of winning football, and if it can't be done right now then their demands will assure that style is at least pursued by youth coaches. Fans pay good money to watch a spectacle. I don't see how you can be a fan if the only thing you truly care about is the result. The only person who can truly care just about the result is the manager whose livelihood depends on it.

Anyway, I don't think England played bad yesterday though. When they did get the ball, they wanted to go forward; they weren't any less threatening than France. England were actually positive

P.S. I will never, never, ever understand neutrals who defend the 'scoreline > gameplay' mantra. SMFH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom