• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelobruno30

Neo Member
We will show the WORLD how GREAT WE ARE!!!

Portuguese National Athem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98P2Kqz-tg

In English:

Heroes of the sea, noble people,
Valiant and immortal nation,
Now is the hour to raise up on high once more
Portugal's splendour.
From out of the mists of memory,
Oh Homeland, we hear the voices
Of your great forefathers
That shall lead you on to victory!

CHORUS:
To arms, to arms
On land and sea!
To arms, to arms
To fight for our Homeland!
To march against the enemy guns!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Can't wait for the inevitable jay-z remixxx:

Heroes of the S-wubwubwubwubw
I watch football now I am cool.
wubwubwubwubw
I am a millionaire.
wubwubwubwubw

Andrefpvs

It's pretty epic sounding but I never liked the war theme behind the anthem.

I guess it fits with Portuguese history, but yeah.

IceCold

It's pretty epic sounding but I never liked the war theme behind the anthem.

I guess it fits with Portuguese history, but yeah.

You have to understand the context in which it was written which was after the British Ultimatum (Pink Map). In fact, the last verse of the chrorus was originally "Against the Britons, march on, march on!" but was changed to "Against the cannons, march on, march on!" later on.

I actually like the previous anthem a lot too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63w1ES6VEjI

bjaelke

official-line-up.jpg

Actually, the pro-republic side were the liberals, not the pro-monarchy.

in Spain yah, not in Portugal. The Monarchy was veiled in Liberalism at the end of the 19th and early 20th century

The weak King wanted to give away colonial land to England (debts lol)

Republican nationalists said fuck no

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Yup. Balague just twitted it.

Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Piqué, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva and Negredo.

so same players, just negredo instead of cesc?

to VDB: width motherfucker how does it work!?

Everytime I look into national anthems I am always not so surprised to learn that Britain have always inspired a line or two somewhere.

We're real sorry guys :(

Visceir

I'm wondering how many resources are the spanish going to put into locking down Ronaldo and ruining his appetite for the game. And how of that are the Portugese taking into consideration while planning out their tactics...

I'll be rooting for Portugal and Ronaldo as well.

Don't care who wins tonight. If Spain win the tournament, I win £5. Still hope either Italy or Germany win it though, and I think the final will be shite if Spain are in it. Then again, I'd be happy for Reina and Alonso to win it, even though Reina hasn't played

jtb

Banned
Yup. Balague just twitted it.

Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Piqué, Jordi Alba; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva and Negredo.

what the fuck, that's a ridiculously narrow midfield. I can see a defeat on the cards for Spain... playing Silva and Iniesta wide is def a big mistake, I think.

don't really care who wins though, just hope Ronaldo and Torres score for the lulz.

read into Italy's anthem die, die, die LOL
had probably a different significance during unification and defending against neighbors in today's context

leadbelly

Banned
True, sponsors are serious business. But is it just me or has there been more fines this year compared to the previous tournaments?

I just found this beauty in the web:

Pic from La Gazzetta dello Sport of Balotelli after Italy beat England.

RZ5kQ.png

Wow! I'm curious to know what their excuse was. It's just that, it is so hard for me to believe no one at the magazine understood how potentially offensive that image was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom