• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaGe_pt

What have Portugal ever accomplished to make their fans so confident?

At least Spain and Italy and Germany you can kind of understand the fans being a bit cocky given the history. But...Portugal?

ಠ_ಠ

Come at me PortugalGAF!

Maybe because we love our country and because, for a small country like we are (11 million people), having arguably one of the best players of all time (Cristiano Ronaldo) and arguably one of the best coaches of all time (Jose Mourinho) make us damn proud... Being able to be one of the best teams in Europe feels good, specially when we are getting through such hard times economically. The only thing we are missing is a Euro title or a World Cup title and that's what really matters, and it can happen soon. We are confident because of that. At least, while there's an Euro going on, we stop talking about fuckin Troika!

I believe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9TsRJYBZNvw

Alx

It would have been strange to refuse a minute of silence for a player, when they made one for the death of Thierry Roland (commentator) a few days ago...

At least Spain and Italy and Germany you can kind of understand the fans being a bit cocky given the history. But...Portugal?

ಠ_ಠ

Come at me PortugalGAF!

you sound so Torontonian. Spain is like 4 times the size of Portugal while Italy and Germany's population is ginourmsly so much bigger than tiny Portugal's

if a country of 10 mil can produce quality players and stand up to bigger European footballing nations, than that is a great feat on its own

Wilbur

Banned
SuperÑ;39287000 said:
Do you get dizzy trying to follow the ball?

Paul Wilson of the Guardian made a good point earlier that Spain are almost turning the game into a non-contact sport. Not necessarily a criticism in itself, but interesting nevertheless.

Noshino

SuperÑ;39287000 said:
Do you get dizzy trying to follow the ball?

No, but watching Spain play makes me fall asleep faster than any pill.

Paul Wilson of the Guardian made a good point earlier that Spain are almost turning the game into a non-contact sport. Not necessarily a criticism in itself, but interesting nevertheless.

I would agree....but then I remember that Busquets is on their team

RaGe_pt

bnc_cr1.gif

I would love to watch him do this today!

RaGe_pt

SuperÑ;39287223 said:
He won't even score. Have you ever seen him doing anything relevant besides Copa del Rey final against Barça?

Is he playing against Barcelona today? It's Portugal vs Spain, not Barça vs Real...

Wilbur

Banned
SuperÑ;39287316 said:
He just vanishes at important matches. And i support Real Madrid, but that's the truth.

PS: Not too long ago i could read LOLNALDO in the thread title..

Yeah that's true, he didn't score against them a few months ago effectively giving Madrid the title.

you sound so Torontonian. Spain is like 4 times the size of Portugal while Italy and Germany's population is ginourmsly so much bigger than tiny Portugal's

if a country of 10 mil can produce quality players and stand up to bigger European footballing nations, than that is a great feat on its own
What does population size have to do with anything? A country of 10 million can produce a few great players. How is that special? Honest question. Not being sarcastic.

I never questioned why PortugalGAF is so proud of their country. That doesn't need explaining. Everyone should be proud of their country playing in the Euro.

I was more reffering to some of the over-confidence we've seen from PortugalGAF which is usually seen by fans of countries that have actually won something in the past. Portugal has mostly failed on the big stage so hence my question: why so confident/cocky?

Everyone likes to rub in a loss to their friends so it would be fun to go over my neighbors house and rub a Portugal loss in their face (god knows they do it to us when Italy blows) but I honestly do not care who wins today. Either way I just want a good match and some lol worthy moments.

Guess I will have to support Portugal today, not much for it but oh well.

What does population size have to do with anything? A country of 10 million can produce a few great players. How is that special? Honest question. Not being sarcastic.

I think the point is that Uruguay is the best national team in the world.

Noirulus

ಠ_ಠ

Come at me PortugalGAF!

Because we've always been counted out in EVERY Major tournament the past decade ('cept 08 maybe), and made up for that by outperforming everyone's expectations.

Lo and behold, we've done the exact same thing this tournament as most people expected Germany and Netherlands to go through.

Maybe that's not a reason to show confidence, but it's always better go in with confidence than without.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
this will either be a fantastic game to watch, or a horrible one. i also predict that the winner will advance to the next round.

go sports team go!

Melfice7

I never questioned why PortugalGAF is so proud of their country. That doesn't need explaining. Everyone should be proud of their country playing in the Euro.

I was more reffering to some of the over-confidence we've seen from PortugalGAF which is usually seen by fans of countries that have actually won something in the past. Portugal has mostly failed on the big stage so hence my question: why so confident/cocky?

Because we KNOW we can do it, we have the talent the will and the confidence that drives us into thinking that while not superior we can also win against anyone (no disrespect to other teams) if we can play the way we know how

Sorry my dear neighbours, you won't make it.

ÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑÑ

Pctx

Banned
2 Red Cards (Pepe will get both) and at least 2 goals by Super Sayian Ronaldo. Seriously, this game is going to be epic!

IceCold

Guess I will have to support Portugal today, not much for it but oh well.

I think the point is that Uruguay is the best national team in the world.

In terms of titles and per capita they are the most successful team. They have the most international titles in the world with a population of 3 million. Pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom