• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

WolfStark

I would say:
Sharp > Pixel

or

Smooth lines > staircase effect

Really, I think still supporting the 3DS is a mistake, it simply makes the games worse and hurts the experience. The Switch would've been a way better choice, especially for a Remake. It's a joke when they say something like "We want to reimagine the game on modern hardware" if they chose the 3DS for the Remake. It's like remastering an old movie in VHS quality, instead of at least HD.

I would say:
Sharp > Pixel

or

Smooth lines > staircase effect

Really, I think still supporting the 3DS is a mistake, it simply makes the games worse and hurts the experience. The Switch would've been a way better choice, especially for a Remake. It's a joke when they say something like "We want to reimagine the game on modern hardware" if they chose the 3DS for the Remake. It's like remastering an old movie in VHS quality, km
instead of at least HD.

Truth. Game looks bloody horrible. Still, I'm a consumer pig and want me Limited Edition!

WolfStark

Truth. Game looks bloody horrible. Still, I'm a consumer pig and want me Limited Edition!

Yeah me too, I grudgingly accept this but boy do I hope that the 3DS era is ending as soon as possible. I really want to see a classic Metroid in modern quality either drawn in 2D or 2.5D like Samus Returns. Until then I am glad we at least got something after all those years.

WolfStark

I kinda dig it looks way better than Bloodstained that Castlevania spiritual succesor.

Fast paced 2D Metroid is my Jam even if it had N64 grapics or 8 bit i am always in lol.

I think that's true for most of us^^ Still though, the graphical quality of this game is pretty low and barely if at all comparable to Bloodstained. I mean the 3DS simply can't deliver the same quality in terms of details, polygon count, effects, layers.

I also think Samus Returns looks better than Bloodstained, but that's largely because I prefer the art direction. As excited as I am for it, Bloodstained is sterile looking and an example of how art direction > HD, or whatever technical terms you want to use - the game lacks a pleasing,cohesive look. But then I am one of those people who thinks certain PS1/N64 games still look great, so obviously this being on 3DS doesn't bother me even a little. And I get it in stereoscopic 3D! Something the Switch doesn't offer. And I don't have to pause to look at the damn map. Excellent.

Hopefully this does well and then maybe we can get a brand new 2D Metroid on Switch in the future, but as of now I don't care. Just very excited for SR, because hey, we're actually getting a 2D Metroid after 13 years MIA.

GeekyDad

Reggie needs to step it up. I know 'Murica can be obnoxious, but don't take it out on the children! We want the good shit too!

I get it in stereoscopic 3D! Something the Switch doesn't offer. And I don't have to pause to look at the damn map. Excellent.

This is why I'd always prefer 2D Metroids on the 3DS to the Switch, it's still the perfect console for that style of game.

The 3DS really deserves a great Metroid game in its library and I hope this will deliver.

e968293926.png

BOOYAH

Signed up to MyUKMailbox this morning. Hopefully this all works out!

Thanks. Finally. I think I have at least four pre-orders now so time to relax. Got some free stickers :S

I better remember to cancel some of these pre-orders or I'm going to be awash with SNES classics and Metroid Legacy editions, Rettbone style.

Got the LE and both amiibo.

As ever, it's irritating that Nintendo Store offer cool T-shirts, but only if you buy the standard edition.

Big thanks to all the people in this thread keeping on top of this stuff. Dumb that Nintendo are always so late emailing and tweeting when things like this become available for pre-order.

I had a £5 credit in points with game. So I'm keeping my order with them.

Shame that the amiibos are £12.99.
I would have bought them if they where £10.99 like the fire emblem ones.

XaosWolf

Snagged everything I need. That shirt is proper boring though.

Look forward to going through all this preorder waiting nonsense again with Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.

Top Bottom