• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

krae_man

The beginning of the game is definately very frustrating if you're a really good player because your characters stats suck, and you won't have unlocked homing shots and whatnot.

It really sucks to hit the flag with super backspin and for nothing to happen.

So where is the Singleplayer campaign in this. Only see online modes. (unless there isn't any and that's fine)

THere's a separate tent in the home area for single player. You unlock everything that way.

Prepare to play the first course A LOT before getting anywhere decent. lol.

Griss

4 and a half hours until my digital copy unlocks but I have a ton of work and then a pizza party after-work thing to get through. Can't bloody wait though! The second 7pm hits I will be dropping my beer and pizza and sprinting for the door, lol.

Haven't been this excited for a game in ages. Definitely my 2nd most anticipated game of the year after Zelda: BotW.

Loving it so far....I do def miss the advanced shot mode from OoB but it's not a deal breaker for me at all.

I wish it wasn't a deal breaker for me, but it is... I went back and tried to play Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational on Sunday, using the standard, non-real-time, horizontal 3-click swing meter and it just didn't inspire me. It's well done and looks good, but it simply feels disconnected from the moment for me.

I'll keep watching for news of Advanced Swing, as an update, or I'd even settle for it as premium DLC and board the EG train when that happens.

v1lla21

Hope I git gud soon so I know when and how to use backspin and all that shizz. All I do is account for wind and the topography.

v1lla21

Press up on the dpad when selecting power and down on the last hit to get backspin
How does it help? I know how to do it but I don't know why I should. Serious question lol. Idk anything about golf and I bought the game because it seemed fun and it is.

In what situations should I be using top or backspin?

Snoopycat

Banned
Despite my concerns about the micro transactions and unnecessary grind, I went ahead and pre-ordered. I read the reviews and watched some streams. I always liked the games, but I really wanted the rabbit costume.

RS4-

How does it help? I know how to do it but I don't know why I should. Serious question lol. Idk anything about golf and I bought the game because it seemed fun and it is.

Backspin adds height and less bounce, but you get less distance. So if you're approaching the green, back spin would stop close to the initial landing spot to some extent, and maybe roll (and roll badly depending on where it lands).

Uhh, I guess sticking it would be a better way to say it?

Voorhees

You should be using Topspin with every drive off the tee. It'll account from 5-30 extra yards of distance once the shot hits the fairway.

Backspin when you are approaching the pin. Assuming you are good about getting the meter lined up with the flag, it'll help you not overshoot the pin.

krae_man

You should be using Topspin with every drive off the tee. It'll account from 5-30 extra yards of distance once the shot hits the fairway.

Backspin when you are approaching the pin. Assuming you are good about getting the meter lined up with the flag, it'll help you not overshoot the pin.

Sometimes backspin works better in a tailwind(if landing area is uphill or flat) since it gives your shot more height this impacted by the wind more.

Also you might need the extra carry to clear bunkers and whatnot.

Griss

Most of your approach shots to the green should be hit with backspin. This is because it stops the ball closer to where it lands, which makes it easier to get close to the hole.

You can use topspin in situations where you want the ball to roll more than usual. So off the tee, for example, or if you have a flat chip shot you might want it to be rolling so that you have a chance to actually sink it, whereas a chip with backspin will stop dead and have no chance of going in the hole (unless you knock it straight in the cup).

RiverKwai

I'm still confused on the difference of level and rank. I'm still a rank 1 after a couple hours of playing. What makes rank go up?

I might have this backwards, but Rank increases the further along in the single player mode you get. I beat 2 tournament npcs (a girl and a little kid) and then had a "boss" challenge vs some european lady to get to rank 2.

Sloane

Banned
So, uh, what's the fastest way to unlock all the courses and how long does it take? I only care about local multiplayer, don't want to suffer through the single player but apparently that's not an option?

RiverKwai

So, uh, what's the fastest way to unlock all the courses and how long does it take? I only care about local multiplayer, don't want to suffer through the single player but apparently that's not an option?

It kind of seems like the point of the game is to go through the single player and unlock the courses as you go.

W Hudson

I just watched a video review saying it can take anywhere from 20-40 hours to unlock all the courses. Hopefully that's a bit of a reach but seems like it can take some time.

ukas

I could have swore that all of the courses are open for local multiplayer. Except DLC courses you may not own.

I could have swore that all of the courses are open for local multiplayer. Except DLC courses you may not own.
That was not the case when I tried to play with someone yesterday. I thought maybe it was just installing, but now I think you actually have to unlock them. The only one available to me was that same city course and the first 9 holes.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn I was wondering about the courses and how they unlock. I've probably put close to 4 hours into it and I just now unlocked the second course after hitting rank 3. I guess I don't mind too much but I know that's going to annoy the shit out of some people who don't have the time to play hours and hours to unlock courses.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You guys are forgetting about the control stat.

When your control stat sucks, you don't hit the ball square and your ball goes off course.

Look at the bottom left of the screen right after the impact press and see where the ball connects with the club.

I bet when the shots go off course, that's why.

This is what I figured and its good to know its not my game acting up

Damn I was wondering about the courses and how they unlock. I've probably put close to 4 hours into it and I just now unlocked the second course after hitting rank 3. I guess I don't mind too much but I know that's going to annoy the shit out of some people who don't have the time to play hours and hours to unlock courses.
It's a little funny since people originally thought this was going to be almost exclusively an online MP game, and it turns out you have to spend a significant amount of time in SP anyway.

BSpot

Am I misremembering a different older game or can you have your spin shots like, hit the ground and roll backwards, etc? Is that something that comes with leveling up, or a technique of button presses I am not recalling?

Levelling up and I'm finally hitting par 4s and 5s like I should be.

The other golfers appearing in challenge mode is cute but how do I turn them off? They can block crucial views

Ruruja

Am I misremembering a different older game or can you have your spin shots like, hit the ground and roll backwards, etc? Is that something that comes with leveling up, or a technique of button presses I am not recalling?

In previous games you had to push up on dpad on backswing, down on dpad on downswing and get perfect contact to get backspin upon landing on the green. You also need good spin stats.

My copy doesn't arrive until tomorrow so unsure how it works on this one but I guess it'll be the same.

JJShadow

I've never played a Hot Shots game before, but the reviews have caught my attention. Would you guys recommend it for someone who is not really into golf like me? Is there a story mode, or is it mainly focused on multiplayer?

Regarding backspin, in previous games you could do regular backspin and super backspin.

Regular backspin is holding down on the d-pad at impact. Super backspin is holding up at setting power and then down at impact.

Topspin is opposite, and sidespin works in a similar way. Get used to using diagonal super topspin on drives and diagonal super backspin on long approaches on the harder courses.

Just be careful with super spins when the spin goes in the same direction as the slope of the landing area or green. For example, if the green is sloping back toward you, you usually don't want to use super backspin since it will hit the green and race backwards off the green. Can work in your advantage though. If the fairway is sloping away from you downhill, use super topspin to get some really good bounces down the fairway.

Heel

Regarding backspin, in previous games you could do regular backspin and super backspin.

Regular backspin is holding down on the d-pad at impact. Super backspin is holding up at setting power and then down at impact.

Topspin is opposite, and sidespin works in a similar way. Get used to using diagonal super topspin on drives and diagonal super backspin on long approaches on the harder courses.

Just be careful with super spins when the spin goes in the same direction as the slope of the landing area or green. For example, if the green is sloping back toward you, you usually don't want to use super backspin since it will hit the green and race backwards off the green. Can work in your advantage though. If the fairway is sloping away from you downhill, use super topspin to get some really good bounces down the fairway.

giphy.gif

i hit ball make go far

The Splatoon-style "buy this characters gear" from your home base is pretty awesome. Didn't know you could get different voices and gestures this way. Too bad they're so expensive.

Edit: Had a Turf War game set in Balata, even though I don't have that course. That's a fun way to get people to try course. Haven't been able to play one yet though. Always gets 3-4 people before disconnecting.

Spy

My character doesn't perform a backspin when I hold down on the d-pad on impact. Am I missing something?

I've never played a Hot Shots game before, but the reviews have caught my attention. Would you guys recommend it for someone who is not really into golf like me? Is there a story mode, or is it mainly focused on multiplayer?

I don't play golf or really watch it. I love this series, though. It's like Rocket League and soccer. You don't have to like soccer/football to enjoy Rocket League.

Get Everybody's Golf if you a) like chill games that still allow you to be competitive, and b) like easy to learn games that take a while to really master.

There's no real story mode, but there is a lengthy--some would say grindy--single-player mode where you play tournaments and vs matches against the CPU to unlock stuff and abilities. The online multiplayer is still a work in progress. Right now, you can play together in small 4-player groups. And there's a daily tournament that uses an asynchronous leaderboard.

Once they have real-time graded tournaments (kind of like a ranked mode), it will be a lot of fun to play in 50-100 player events. Winning an event like that feels really special. In the last game you could walk around the lobby with your trophy to show it off lol.

My character doesn't perform a backspin when I hold down on the d-pad on impact. Am I missing something?

I'll test it tonight, but you might have to unlock that ability. I'm pretty sure you have to unlock super spin, but regular spins might be dependent on how you've leveled your club (they have a separate backspin rating/level) and whether you got perfect impact.

mike6467

I'm three holes in. Can I turn off the other golfers running around? This is single player and while I'm really, really psyched for this game, that's going to drive me nuts.

Sh0k

If it is like the other Hot Shot Golf games you have to hold the dpad down during the up swing and a second time during the down swing through impact. Also helps to unlock back spin clubs. Can't try it now, waiting for the download to finish.

Draft

anyone without psn+ playing this game yet? what isnt playable?
debating if i need to pick up that subscription as well or just grind the single player part for awhile and add psn+ on later.
Also curious. Had gotten used to the offline life but this seems like a good game.

BSpot

My little list of questions:

1) How do I golf cart?

2) How do I fish?

3) When I went online in free course mode I got some message about an item being near one of the holes. I played them all and found nothing. What's the tactic, here? (I am alone, online, btw...)

Griss

Note that backspin works totally differently depending on how the ball lands on the green. If it's a 5-iron coming in with a lot of forward momentum, all backspin can possibly do is slow the ball's bounce forward. You can't actually spin a 5 iron backwards in golf, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be applying backspin to the ball to help it stop quickly.

Where you'll actually see the ball land, stop, and spin backwards is with your wedges. These land almost directly straight down on the green from a great height, and therefore the backspin can cause them to spin backwards. However even this effect is rarely more than minor unless you use super backspin, which requires you to hold up on the d-pad while setting your power and down on the d-pad while taking your shot AND to get a perfect impact.

EDIT: Or it may simply be about levelling your clubs up.

My little list of questions:

1) How do I golf cart?

2) How do I fish?

3) When I went online in free course mode I got some message about an item being near one of the holes. I played them all and found nothing. What's the tactic, here? (I am alone, online, btw...)

Rank 3 for the first 2

If you go near the hole mentioned you can actually see items you can pick up. Usually coins.

Top Bottom