• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwoijzacxoi

Neo Member
For someone who doesn't follow Melee, can you tell me a little about the notable players?

Is there someone who is favored to win heavily? Are there any unexpected new comers that qualified for Top 8? Anyone using a underused/underpowered character?

Any past rivalries between these players?

Thanks.

Winners
Mew2King - The "robot", Mew2King is by far the most methodical and scripted-feeling of the lot - no one's playstyle even comes close to being so robot-like. He's well known for being the only player most comfortable at the edge of the stage, when others would consider the edge a major positional disadvantage. From roughly 2007-2009, Mew2King and his style was thought to be unbeatable until Mango started taking matches from him.

At first, the excuse was that M2K only lost because he was poor against Jigglypuff players, and so he had a continuing rivalry with Mango and Hungrybox (who are Jigglypuffs). Eventually when Mango started using other characters, it became clear that M2K was actually just being outplayed, although M2K still is a steady Top 5 in the World (and a massive favorite against everyone who's not Top 5). It would be a slight upset to see him defeat Dr. PP or Armada, but his fans expect him to have a decent chance to beat his rivals Hungrybox and Mango.

Dr. PP - Dr. PP's dominance is relatively new, since only a few years ago he was known as a very technically skilled but positional mistake-prone player. After smartening up his game, he rose to fame when things looked hopeless for the USA against Armada, and suddenly he had a dream tournament run to upset Armada and win it where Mango, M2K, and others failed. Since then he's had a close rivalry with Armada, losing to him (but taking sets, a rare thing) in a couple of major tournaments. PP's known for having the best and scariest dash dancing, as his is especially fast but very erratic-looking, something not seen from other players.

Hungrybox - One of the Top 5 and the only player favored to beat Armada's Peach very consistently, more than even Dr. PP and Mango. He did so until Armada came up with a completely unexpected way to defeat Hungrybox - switch to very low-tier Young Link whenever against Hungrybox (Armada doesn't use YL against anyone else). And it worked! Hungrybox has lost consistently to Young Link since Armada thought of the strategy. He was once thought to be the favorite against everyone except Mango, but in recent years M2K and Dr. PP have started catching onto his play and defeated him.

Although he's a very nice guy, Hungrybox is hated by many for taking full advantage of Jigglypuff's back-air, and spamming that move in a "cheap" but highly effective manner. Ironically, the former Jigglypuff Mango is one of his biggest critics on this point, and so they have a big rivalry (Mango always puts down HBox's skills, and wants to see him lose).

Wobbles - Wobbles is well known for being exceptional at doing his namesake technique, wobbling. It's basically an infinite damage grab/kill, so long as he grabs the opponent at a decent % (more than 10?) and his AI-controlled Ice Climbers' partner is nearby. He doesn't have any prominent rivalries, and because of Ice Climbers isn't top or very top tier, Wobbles probably feels fortunate to be in the Top 8 Winners (having upset Mango). He stands a feasible chance against any player except probably Armada, just because Peach is heavily favored against the IC's.

Losers
Mango - At one point, from 2009-2010 thought to be the undisputed best in the world and unbeatable after first upsetting, then consistently beating, M2K. He then defended the USA against Armada in Armada's first US tournament in probably Melee's best set in history. Armada had all but surely taken the tournament, knocking Mango to losers and then being up another 1.5 games - when Mango shockingly switched to old-school Jigglypuff and managed to win game after game in an incredible fashion. However, since then Mango's luck has been down, and his placings very inconsistent (so more players generally agree Armada has been the better player now).

Mango is actually famous for playing badly, whether through drunken foolishness, or just trolly-foolishness. He often cared more about style than results, leading to absurd deaths but awesome victories when the style did come. However, on a positive note his wacky "drunken master"-like play has made him a very difficult-to-read player, and at one time allowed his recovery game with Fox/Falco to be innovative and exceptional (although other Foxes/Falcoes have since caught on). As a former best-in-the-world, Mango has a major rivalry with the one who dethroned him, Armada (although at this point him winning would be a slight upset). He also hates Hungrybox.

Armada - The Final Boss, Armada is the one to beat and the player with the best modern tournament record. When he first arrived in the USA scene, no one expected much past Top 16 from him, because Peach was viewed as a sub-par, hopelessly flawed character. Armada has basically re-defined Peach, shocking everyone at one time with innovative off-the-edge play and never-before-seen combos (his two major strengths still). Ever since neutralizing Hungrybox with his Young Link secondary, Armada only has a true rivalry with Dr. PP, who still comes off as Armada's biggest threat. The two had a very close grand finals set in Europe among others, although Armada has come off on top more often than not.

Ice - A German Shiek player, Ice is one of the best from Europe but not really thought to be a contender to break or eliminate any of the Top 5. The USA players don't know too much about him, but he has lost pretty handily against Dr. PP in the past and lost against SilentWolf (an A-level Fox who didn't make it to the Top 8) in this tournament. Ice has won some close matches to make it to where he is now and it would be a surprising upset to see him progressing against anyone other than Shroomed.

Shroomed - A Dr. Mario player who seems to surprise everyone each time with Top 8 finishes, despite playing a underused and underpowered character. However, in recent years his finishes have really cemented him as the best player for that Dr. Mario character. Shroomed doesn't have any rivalries with the rest of the Top 8, and is disfavored against most of them (having lost to many of them in the past).

Why don't we get to see yipes, chrisg etc in the pool matches.................. And this commentary blows get Combo on...

edit: Lol the moment I post see Chris Jesus on..

El Sloth

Banned
Same here. As a kid you mess around with fighting games but you really didn't know anything. When SF4 came out I decide to learn how to properly play (going off players in streams)
Yeah, exactly. Watching streams really helped in motivating me to get better. It also gave me a better idea of how characters worked and what they want to be doing.
True, it's a common story.

Last gen I had Xbox 1 only, so naturally, I had a period where I thought Dead or Alive was a good game. I was still a big fighting game fan and always wanted more, but was pretty misguided (arguing DoA was better than Tekken, for example.) Before that I played a bunch of CVS2, but was still content to scrub it out online and play arcade mode, while being scared of training mode. Before that, I had a big break from video games which started right after beating FFVII lol
I remember thinking training modes were completely worthless lol. Fast forward something like 10 years later and I spent the first week of SCV release just exploring what Natsu could do. There was a long period where I thought 2D fighters were all trash too.

ChrisG's Magneto is...God's Beard tier
KuGsj.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Thanks for the melee summary, as someone who isn't that familarized with many of the Melee players I learned a lot of things. Including many of the top 8 players hate each other lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom