• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggy

If ChrisG doesn't want to be the heel anymore then all he has to do is go back to his Ryu team, most people don't like watching Morri/Doom because it's like watching paint dry (regardless of how hard it is to execute)

Beckx

He sees it that he has nothing to gain. To him if he loses, he gets blown up. If he wins, he was expected to win.

So the risk/reward to him isn't worth it.

Which is a cover for another story entirely.

Put it this way: no QB with great stats had "everything to lose, nothing to gain" by making it to the Super Bowl, because no one remembers great stat QBs who never made the SB.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If ChrisG doesn't want to be the heel anymore then all he has to do is go back to his Ryu team, most people don't like watching Morri/Doom because it's like watching paint dry (regardless of how hard it is to execute)

I'll never respect stream monster sentiment.

Beckx

If ChrisG doesn't want to be a heel he can stop blaming all his losses on his stick, the monitors, the TOs, the rings of Saturn, and stop using slurs on twitter.

If ChrisG doesn't want to be a heel he can stop blaming all his losses on his stick, the monitors, the TOs, the rings of Saturn, and stop using slurs on twitter.

This.

He shouldn't have to switch teams to be legitimate. Look how hard he worked since he created his team. Go from Final Round in 2012 compared to now. He's worked his ass off to be the best.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think the main reason is just pressure and confidence issues. He became a sensation overnight basically when he started doing so well in many games. And people always expect better and better from him. If he truly didn't care, he wouldn't spend so much time with various games and going to so many locals. I honestly would say as a player he puts more work into it than anybody. He travels more than anybody and plays more games than anybody.

ScOULaris

Yeah. People don't hate him for simply winning a lot. Everybody loves a winner. They hate on him for everything you mentioned above.

And if he drops out of EVO, people will hate him even more for being a cowardly asshole. And he'll absolutely deserve it.

He doesn't like being the heel of the Marvel community.

He is not too fond of the payout of EVO.

He doesn't like people blowing up his losses yet ignoring all his wins because it's "expected".

He feels the game will "die out" if he wins EVO because of his team and playstyle. He thinks people don't like that sort of stuff and it will put off people from the game resulting in less people competing and less money in the pot.

And finally he does not feel having an EVO title is that big of a deal.

Meh...He's more than likely gonna enter, despite what he said. But he needs some sense talked into him or he's gonna def lose Marvel. Winning all the time or a lot never stopped Justin Wong, did it? It only forced other players to level up which indeed happened (In Marvel and SF4). What's wrong with being The Heel of the Marvel community?

Also, I feel like People are sleeping on the fact Chris G perhaps has a good chance in winning SF4 and Injustice. He's really become one the best SF4 players in Murica and he won Injustice at recent majors. Tho obviously winning those games are gonna be much harder than winning Marvel for him.

Meh...He's more than likely gonna enter, despite what he said. But he needs some sense talked into him or he's gonna def lose Marvel. Winning all the time or a lot never stopped Justin Wong, did it? It only forced other players to level up which indeed happened (In Marvel and SF4). What's wrong with being The Heel of the Marvel community?

Also, I feel like People are sleeping on the fact Chris G perhaps has a good chance in winning SF4 and Injustice. He's really become one the best SF4 players in Murica and he won Injustice at recent majors. Tho obviously winning those games are gonna be much harder than winning Marvel for him.

I can't see Chris G winning SF4. SFxT, maybe, and a definite chance at Injustice, but not SF4. Infiltration won't allow that.

I won't deny him Marvel and borejustice... but AE?

I think this will be the first year I will try to watch this. But not really watch it since I'm going to study and work while it streams. I'm hoping I can catch Persona 4, Tekken, and Street Fighter. Maybe melee.

I won't deny him Marvel and borejustice... but AE?

Yes, tho I admit him beating Infiltration or Daigo is highly unlikely...The chances of Chris G getting top 8 in SF4 are pretty high IMO. Im telling you, Chris G has really become one of the best SF4 players this year in USA. His Sakura super leveled up.

Haunted

Isn't this the time when we get some first pictures and videos of the venue, even if the official streams only start tomorrow?

Malice215

I don't see anyone who plays in the amount of tournaments that Chris G does not being motivated to win EVO, especially with how dominate he has been on this road to EVO. I know Chris and judge him by his actions, not the wild stuff that he says at times.

It's possible that he may not win Marvel,
because Marvel is a terrible fighting game for various reasons and allows for random stuff to happen
but I don't buy this not motivated to win crap. The man loves trophies. He'll be fine once he starts playing matches. Plus he just won CEO.

All this heel crap makes for interesting conversation, I just don't buy Chris not being motivated to win with the amount of work he's put in. He has a great chance in making top 8 in 4 games.

Horseress

What are the chances that the AE panel is about or announcing AE 2013/14?

This makes me wish there was a fighting game with the Acronym JA.

"Where's JA" should be brought back to the common consciousness.

It will be about the new SFIV version, it's confirmed, but what they will show and talk about it is a mistery

El Sloth

Banned
Sako's not coming this year is he? I vaguely remember someone posting a tweet from his wife saying he wouldn't be able to make it, but I don't recall whether it was in reference to EVO or another major.

Just saw his name in the OP. Sorry, Kadey. I wonder if him and Kazunoko will enter the Skullgirls side tourney. I remember him saying he liked how the game played during a pre-release event and I believe Kazunoko was the one that was playing it during one of those casual GodGarden streams.

I think Tokido played it a bit too.

Anyone know where I can find, if there even is one, a comprehensive list of all the international players attending this year without having to slog through the brackets myself?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
He also excels at killing people early because he can knock you off the side of the stage and use his Reflector (down+b) to knock you away from the stage. Fox/Falco both have them and they can reflect projectiles, but they can also hurt people if you're close enough to them when you first activate them. Fox's is notorious because it sends the victim flying sideways even at a low percentage.

Also the reflector (usually referred to as the/a "Shine") is a 1 frame move. If it hits while the opponent is on the ground they are always sent a set distance, it is not effected by the damage the character has.

Shine can only be cancelled by one way, by jumping (usually done with a button, not the analog stick). You can let the jump come out and do an air attack or you can follow the opponent after hit and shine them again by wavedashing, since wavedashing in this game starts with a jump.

G7NV7yG.gif

Fox can just do this across the stage.

Instead of letting the jump come out you can cancel it within its startup (for Fox, that's 3 frames) and do whatever ground move you want. Here it's easiest to use a move that requires you to hit up on the analog stick (Up Smash, Up+B) since that also a way to perform a jump. Some Foxes do fancy shit and just Shine in place. Seeing 2-3 in row pretty impressive since it's so god damn hard to pull off.

6VsVLS3.gif

Gif is at 1/4 speed.

Multiple shines combined with low to the ground aerials lead to disgusting shield pressure.

NsnxUQB.jpg

Shields in this game form a big bright bubble around your character that depletes over time/by getting hit. To gtfo of pressure, you have the same option like as in the Shine to jump out of shield. It's not very commonly used but Marth has a dragon punch like move with his Up+B to get out of pressure.

In addition to jumping there's built in defensive options. Rolling/Dodging in place. Rolling, depending on whether you rolled in the direction you character was facing or not, grants you different amounts of invincibility. I think it's rolling backwards that gives you all of the invincibility up front.

and idk other shit

I disagree. Video games can help you with perception, reflexes, ability to process information in a fast paced environment and various other things. A lot of people learn many things from video games. Many people admit to learning vocabulary from playing games.

Unless you're playing an educational game there is hardly any value that comes from video games. Knowing the term triforce doesn't do shit for you unless you're interviewing with Nintendo.

I don't see anyone who plays in the amount of tournaments that Chris G does not being motivated to win EVO, especially with how dominate he has been on this road to EVO. I know Chris and judge him by his actions, not the wild stuff that he says at times.

It's possible that he may not win Marvel,
because Marvel is a terrible fighting game for various reasons and allows for random stuff to happen
but I don't buy this not motivated to win crap. The man loves trophies. He'll be fine once he starts playing matches. Plus he just won CEO.

All this heel crap makes for interesting conversation, I just don't buy Chris not being motivated to win with the amount of work he's put in. He has a great chance in making top 8 in 4 games.

I agree. The dude's nervous. Simple as that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Unless you're playing an educational game there is hardly any value that comes from video games. Knowing the term triforce doesn't do shit for you unless you're interviewing with Nintendo.

Of course I'm looking at the overall scope of video games. You are a moron if you think video games doesn't help in teaching people things. Little kids these days have their own playschool type laptop filled with all sorts of games to help in their learning development. People learn random tidbits about every day life in various video games. The Army, Nascar, Police, etc, all have some sort of simulation video game they use to help them. No value from video games? That's pretty hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom