• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

EVO tried to showcase as many top matches on stream as humanly possible. Job well done IMO. They finished a 2200 man bracket (plus a few other games as well) into a 8 man bracket within the span of a day... that's an amazing feat.

Sblargh

Banned
I guess I'm rooting (but not really believing) for PRBalrog now. I love his playstyle of just very solid fundamentals; he's like, the best button presser in the busisness. I think he deserves it.

But yeah, man, this tournment was stacked. Getting to top 32 alone, wow, kudos to everyone who did it. People were hungry today, no free matches on the semifinals.

I-hate-u

I guess I'm rooting (but not really believing) for PRBalrog now. I love his playstyle of just very solid fundamentals; he's like, the best button presser in the busisness. I think he deserves it.

But yeah, man, this tournment was stacked. Getting to top 32 alone, wow, kudos to everyone who did it. People were hungry today, no free matches on the semifinals.

It pains me to say, but Filipinoman vs Latif was super free.

Ikon

Kazunoko v PR Balrog was the most intense match for me. The last two of my picks before hand to make losers top 8 and it was so incredibly close. Glad one of them is in and I hope PR takes the whole thing now.

Some really nice surprises otherwise - especially Nemo and Ai Ai. Momochi isn't really a surprise but very pleased to see him anyway.

KingBroly

Banned
Ai Ai's Juri is like...the Juri everyone imagines they should be able to play like, but can't. I've never seen a Juri player come close to the play he was displaying today.

I went 2-2 in Smash and Persona and 1-2 in Ultra so I'm really happy

Also, Vulva, Soakrates and I and others went to the Bacchanal and holy shit

Also I got a selfie with Yuka Kuramoti and she recognized I was dressed as Ness and I met friends

Evo is awesome

Csr

I wanted Daigo to win, but I'm really happy for Gamerbee. Losing to Daigo again would have broken him mentally.

Even if Daigo went into top 8, he probably wouldn't win. Winning from losers is just too difficult at evo which is why what Luffy did last year was really impressive. Having said that, I'm hoping for a Nemo or Gamerbee win.

The game was so new back then that it felt like everything that was happening in general was a lot more random because of the lack of knowledge from players.

That's a fucking nice top 8. Aiai the gawd been blessing Black Vegeta subs since day.

It's crazy how underutilized Juri is. Especially when you consider someone recently figured out how to get 410 meterless in Feng Shui off an overhead by using a couple delays. Wonder if he's practised those...

That's a fucking nice top 8. Aiai the gawd been blessing Black Vegeta subs since day.

It's crazy how underutilized Juri is. Especially when you consider someone recently figured out how to get 410 meterless in Feng Shui off an overhead by using a couple delays. Wonder if he's practised those...

She's not that underutilized in Japan.

There's Younashi, Yossan, Aiai, Tsuna, and Shin. It's just that they don't do well in tournaments. In the US she is very rare outside of Kreymore.

What part of that "low percentage option" landing cleanly was not random (as in unlikely) again? Every random ultra is meant to land...

I would have rather he had smaller exchanges to get back into it...he's certainly good enough to have done so, but it didn't play out that way. He played his ass off the rest of the match.

Random means thoughtless, not unlikely. Ultra was his best option, even if it's low percentage chance. He was going to get chipped out by blocking anything or even trying a blockstring. "Smaller exchanges" weren't a viable option. He either needed a solid read into a combo or a punish. He missed his read and put himself into a situation where he was going to die so he did ultra with the expectation that it wasn't going to work.

That's not random.

ShinMaruku

She's not that underutilized in Japan.

There's Younashi, Yossan, Aiai, Tsuna, and Shin. It's just that they don't do well in tournaments. In the US she is very rare outside of Kreymore.

I think Juri is too skill capped for the US tbh. Either that or just the wrong mindset is here.

Unlucky

Might as well throw the top 32 best players in a random number generator and that will be closer to what the actual top 8 would be than if you predicted it yourself.

I did that myself and got this:

Kazunoko
PR Balrog
Smug
Gamerbee
Bonchan
Poongko
Tokido
Justin Wong

Aside from Justin Wong it's not even that bad of a top 8.
RNG correctly predicted 3/8, also that Daigo would not make top 8.
Not bad.

I'm gonna assume this post is inferring Daigo got eliminated off screen again?

Daigo got knocked into Losers offstream which sparked the usual discussions.

To summarise day 1:

* Why do we have only one stream for SF4? All of these amazing players are being knocked out offstream!
* Why do we have no updated brackets/meh paper is the only way to organise thousands of people.
* Americans are losing, this EVO sucks
* P4U finals are hype!
* Fuck P4U finals.
* Daigo didn't make top 8.
* Smug got mentioned a couple of hundred more times than he deserves to.
* Random guys talking about jigglypuffs or something that must have been watching the smash stream, I don't even know.

So basically same old, same old.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Daigo got knocked into Losers offstream which sparked the usual discussions.

To summarise day 1:

* Why do we have only one stream for SF4? All of these amazing players are being knocked out offstream!
* Why do we have no updated brackets/meh paper is the only way to organise thousands of people.
* Americans are losing, this EVO sucks
* P4U finals are hype!
* Fuck P4U finals.
* Daigo didn't make top 8.
* Smug got mentioned a couple of hundred more times than he deserves to.
* Random guys talking about jigglypuffs or something that must have been watching the smash stream, I don't even know.

So basically same old, same old.
Ah okay, thanks. Yeah I imagined there would be a few crazies that think Smug would make it far in a tournament like EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom