• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchlol

Agreed.... Smash games go on long enough as is, making it 3/5 is ridiculous. Given how much hassle smash community brings with complaints Evo would be better off just dropping the game entirely. Smash exists for it's own viewers/players and nothing really outside of that. At least with the other games their is cross interest. Smash is too foreign to appeal to anyone else.

Biolink

I think this is the only action people really want in this. No need for buffing characters.

But getting max damage on a missed DP has always been there on all versions

It has, but you could make a sandwich with all the time a CC gives you compared to any of the other games. The counter hit state also eats you up. Counter hits are very strong in this game.

Alucrid

Banned
I'd just as soon see Smash cut from EVO entirely. The rest of the FGC has crossover, Smash is its own thing. Yeah, Revelator is a much smaller game, but it appeals to the same people who play SF.

Meanwhile Smash players are demanding 3/5 sets for a game that already runs much longer than any SF-derived fighter.

Given the choice between space and stream time for tiny scenes like GGXrd or KI, and appeasing Smash fans, I go with the former.

pretty much. after the second year, and one rough patch, they're ready to boycott evo. okay.

Nose Master

This Evo is pretty atrocious from a viewer at the venue. Wayyyyy more attendants and less projectors than last year in the main room giving less focus to the games you're showcasing. Jesus, give some places a 60" tv to spectate and they would be ok.

Great job, Mr. Wiz. Lmao.

Stream experience isn't much better. Constant fuck ups with scores and names, constant breaks on the three streams showing SFV and not mentioning the other matches/results on any of them, conflicting information about what the actual bracket looks like. Garbage all around.

bryt

I'm glad there's a 4 hour block of Smash before SFV though. I can go eat without having to worry about missing anything.

mbpm1

Stream experience isn't much better. Constant fuck ups with scores and names, constant breaks on the three streams showing SFV and not mentioning the other matches/results on any of them, conflicting information about what the actual bracket looks like. Garbage all around.

It was one of the lesser stream experiences in recent memory.

nowhere near as bad as G league but not as good as CEO or combo breaker

Neonep

what if there's a rock paper scissor tournament hosted by both of the top 8 of smash 4 and melee to decide which game gets to be on the main stage
Personally I think the game with the higher amount of entries deserves to be on the main stage. I also think that Melee should have been dropped from EVO years ago.

BiggNife

None of us have even watched the games. There aren't enough chairs in the center and I'd rather just walk around and check out stations and booths than stand there. The anime section was fantastic.
This was my first Evo, so I don't have previous years to compare it to, but it seems like the convention room just wasn't big enough this year to compensate for the massive increase in attendance.

The exhibitor section was super duper cramped and hard to navigate. They only had two registers for the merch booth so the line took over an hour and a half for me to get a shirt and a hat. The stage area didn't have nearly enough seats, and only the sound for the main stage game was being piped, so tough shit if you want to hear daigo vs jwong because ki top 8 is on the main stage.

I still had a fun time, and seeing li Joe win in person was amazing, but I really hope they continue to expand. The space they got just barely cut it.

Neoxon

EVO won't cut Smash, Melee & Smash 4 combined make them too much money.
Melee, assuming how tomorrow pans out, will likely stay. Smash 4 however is in question. If the rumored NX port doesn't happen and the current situation doesn't get better between EVO & the Smash 4 scene, the game could very well die with the Wii U.

Sayad

What's the point of donkey kick

Like what is its purpose
WALL BOUNCE COMBOS!!!

They should make it like Sol Badguy's Fafnir, slow startup, +on block and combo-able on counter hit or in the corner. Make it Ryu's forward walk:
tmZujP1.png
Probably more suitable for Evil Ryu. :3

This Evo is pretty atrocious from a viewer at the venue. Wayyyyy more attendants and less projectors than last year in the main room giving less focus to the games you're showcasing. Jesus, give some places a 60" tv to spectate and they would be ok.

Great job, Mr. Wiz. Lmao.

I agree. It was a kinda a mess in there. Hopefully they learn for next year.

Any gaf casual rooms? I wanna play some sf before knocking out for the night, haha.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Give the smash games their own dedicated streams. That way they can take turns delaying each other's brackets 2 hours at a time.

RocBase

I'd just as soon see Smash cut from EVO entirely. The rest of the FGC has crossover, Smash is its own thing. Yeah, Revelator is a much smaller game, but it appeals to the same people who play SF.

Meanwhile Smash players are demanding 3/5 sets for a game that already runs much longer than any SF-derived fighter.

Given the choice between space and stream time for tiny scenes like GGXrd or KI, and appeasing Smash fans, I go with the former.

honestly i agree. i think a separate event for them will only be for the best at this point

Vex_

Banned
WALL BOUNCE COMBOS!!!

They should make it like Sol Badguy's Fafnir, slow startup, +on block and combo-able on counter hit or in the corner. Make it Ryu's forward walk:

Probably more suitable for Evil Ryu. :3

E. Ryu has the grown man stomp now tho. Let good ryu get joudan.

Wallach

what if there's a rock paper scissor tournament hosted by both of the top 8 of smash 4 and melee to decide which game gets to be on the main stage

actually maybe you should just put both games in the same bracket and they RPS to see which game they play

BiggNife

Melee, assuming how tomorrow pans out, will likely stay. Smash 4 however is in question. If the rumored NX port doesn't happen and the current situation doesn't get better between EVO & the Smash 4 scene, the game could very well die with the Wii U.
Smash 4 had more people than melee. Zero being pissed isn't going to cause them to drop the game with the second most entrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom