• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable - hands-on, new(?) pics

Redbeard

Banned
From Kikizo

05.jpg
07.jpg
08.jpg
09.jpg
27.jpg
30.jpg

There are more new screens littered throughout the preview.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
While the game looks impressive for an X-Box title, these screenshots make me thankful for the FSAA capabilities of a moderately powerful PC.

pilonv1

Fable has five AI systems running simultaneously, governing the world and its economy, non-player characters and their relationships with you, and enemy monsters. The malleability of these was ably demonstrated during quality control by a teenage tester at Lionhead who sought to determine the depth of the economic system. He moved into a town, and subsequently went on to kill every resident. This caused a severe drop in property prices, which he took advantage of to buy up every building in town. Once people started to move back in, he - as sole landlord for the entire village - simply raised the rent on all his property and proceeded to make a fortune. Albion - the setting for Fable - is imbued with a full economic system, and this is just an example of what's possible.

Every one of these types of weird Fable stories multiplies my frothing demand for this game.

jedimike

Nice find Redbeard... from all the impressions of seen so far (so what if it's only been 2 or 3) this game is worthy of the hype.

akascream

Banned
can we please, for the love of God, have an Xbox thread without someone pissing on about their PC?

I agree. At least until a PC version is announced and the platform is at all relevant to the discussion.

pilonv1 said:
Every one of these types of weird Fable stories multiplies my frothing demand for this game.

They always seem to involve people being evil. I want to be good. Goddammit if I can't walk through the towns while people look at me in reveranced awe, and small children bring me gifts, this game is worthless.

pilonv1

Die Squirrel Die said:
They always seem to involve people being evil. I want to be good. Goddammit if I can't walk through the towns while people look at me in reveranced awe, and small children bring me gifts, this game is worthless.

Being good is no fun and very, very dull.

jedimike

about voice acting...

What's more impressive is that each of the 22,000 lines that make up Fable's script is fully voiced. While it's fairly common these days for a game to have voice acting, most of them only take around ten hours to compete. Fable, on the other hand, clocks in at an impressive 20-30 hours, and that's if you ignore every non-essential facet of the story and speed your way through as fast as you can. Surprisingly, British voice actors have been used throughout. While this would seem fairly obvious, considering the birthplace of the game, it's still an impressive leap of faith on the part of the developer in an industry currently dominated by North America. Despite the paucity of big-name talent, the quality is impeccable and complements the detailed script to a T.

nice

ToyMachine228 said:
These screens don't really do Fable justice. But do screens do any game justice any more?

about graphics...

In a game filled with so much to do, it almost seems an insult to discuss how it looks. There have been some rumblings to suggest that the game is looking worse over time. Let me allay your fears. Fable looks great. It is not the best looking game on the Xbox, but at the same time the production design speaks of a focused team with a vision of how their world should look. There is consistency and vibrancy in every item and person in the world. Character models are detailed and animate superbly, even during the fast-paced battle sequences. There is no slowdown evident in the near-final release candidate we played, and despite the massive scale of the world, there's no popup either.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
very nice, did kinda read like a PR statement though.

Im so glad they found a way to incorporate the amazing 2d art work they made for fable into the game, everyone should have a chance to see it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
He moved into a town, and subsequently went on to kill every resident. This caused a severe drop in property prices, which he took advantage of to buy up every building in town.
Unless they're just being ironic, it's very funny that he still had to pay for the property.

pilonv1

Well he could have only killed the residents, not those who own the property (who may live in another village or something), but I get your point.

Tellaerin

pilonv1 said:
Being good is no fun and very, very dull.

Being good is quite a bit of fun, actually. For me, there's a much bigger emotional payoff when I can go into a game like Fable and open an economy-sized can of whup-ass on the characters that deserve it, rather than torturing and exploiting innocent NPC's for entertainment or personal gain. I see enough of that crap happening in the real world every time I turn on the TV or pick up a newspaper--at least in a game, I can get out there and do something about it.

Any word on play time? Are we talking a monstrous 150+ hour affair like Morrowind or a 50+ hour affair like KOTOR?

The economic system sounds awesome.

akascream

Banned
These guys could make one hell of an MMORPG. Not like the crap out there today.

I dunno. Most of the work is in balancing your races/classes (skills, tradeskills, magic, stats, ect, ect) for pve, pvp.. creating content for a huge interactive world, mobs, citites, npc's. This is the core stuff that is most important, and I dunno how well they would do there.

Not to mention how long its taken them to make an offline RPG. Could you imagine the development time if they tried an MMO? :p

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Any word on play time? Are we talking a monstrous 150+ hour affair like Morrowind or a 50+ hour affair like KOTOR?

The economic system sounds awesome.

Um, the answer was quoted a few posts up. If you skip all sidequests and plow from point A to point B, it's about 30 hours. The article didn't say how long doing 'everything' would take, but I've read elsewhere that it would be on the order of 60 hours. But with the flexibility you have to alter events and quests, I can see myself going through it several times.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I was going to be good until I saw the dumbass clothes the good guy was wearing in those screens a while back, so now it's bad all the way.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ahh i see what you mean, i think that was an aura (from being so damn nice) rather than a glowing suit, but you can wear any clothes you want though(think you might be limited to sets (no mix and match))

Just read the whole article. I pretty much knew or had heard of everything stated in it. But, when you put all that into one game it just sounds unbelievable.

Finally a game this generation that can truly be called revolutionary. I might call in sick for this one too.

totoro'd

Sounds so cool, I really can't wait. Guess my character will have to be a gay male slut since you can't play females now though. At least there's gay marriage...

olimario

Banned
The world sounds excellent. All of the wonderful AI running, the fantastic character building, and the loads of side quests. Great news.

I'm still so skeptical that the combat in the game is fun. It looks like such a poor button masher. Like Starfox Adventures sped up with spells.
And I'm worried about control. I know it's hard to judge in videos, but the characters don't look like they have any weight to them and the the precision in control isn't very good.

Just so glad I won an XBOX a couplew months back. I'll get to play this and hopefully psychonauts.

MaddenNFL64

I like being the good guy, so it's probably what i'll go for first, but I always go bad the second time around :). In Morrowind though, I was more pragmatic than anything else. I killed, stole, saved, and helped whoever when it served my purposes. So it's not always being the good hero for me :p.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I still dislike the art-style & the horrific fur shading this game has implemented. They could learn a thing or two from GDS/Squenix (FF:CC) & Rare. (CBFD) Some screens look good, while others very poor. (Even when the game is seen running/being played, I noticed visual inconsistencies) However these gripes are minor considering the size & depth of this game, & the sheer amount of possibilities it presents to the player.

trippingmartian said:
Is this coming to PC? If not, I'm getting an Xbox. (I've been saying this for months)

Pretty sure that MS wants this to be an XBOX-only deal, especially considering how long it has taken to release and the amount of hype it has.

jett

D-Member
Some screenshots look nice, others not so much. I really don't like the abuse of bloom lighting and the weird ass skin the characters have, though. P

MightyHedgehog said:
Pretty sure that MS wants this to be an XBOX-only deal, especially considering how long it has taken to release and the amount of hype it has.

I heard Kikizo will report on this in the next week or so...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
jett said:
Some screenshots look nice, others not so much. I really don't like the abuse of bloom lighting and the weird ass skin the characters have, though. P

I forgot to mention those, I agree jett.

Am I excited about this game yes. Probably one of the handful of games on xbox in its life to date that has me caring. That's all.

Hope it releases soon and meets the hype.

Project Ego was the better name though :|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i liked project ego better myself too.

the word project in front now makes it seem like it's something huge :)

Project Gotham, Project ego

damn damn

Prine

Banned
Every impression i've read so far has been overwhelmingly positive. im pretty confident this will turn out to be another AAA title for Xbox.

Or another Sudeki.... nahhhh

September right? Right!?

Prine said:
Every impression i've read so far has been overwhelmingly positive. im pretty confident this will turn out to be another AAA title for Xbox.

Or another Sudeki.... nahhhh

September right? Right!?

It's a winner, trust me.

Prine

Banned
Lionhead have forgone the storytelling mechanisms of current CG-obsessed development houses and have instead attempted something much more stylized. Important plot points are played out via static, 2D art. While this might sound a little boring compared to the cinema sequences from, say, Final Fantasy X, the gorgeous artwork and excellent accompanying narration will win over any detractors. And these sequences have an in-game effect as well. These 2D images form part of frescoes that adorn a physical shrine in the game world. This shrine will change as you progress through the game, incorporating your most recent travails.

OMG, like Mark of Kri!?

Danny Elfman working his magic too, sounds like a winning package to me :)

Top Bottom