• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case anyone thought posts in this thread were bad:

I want Francois Sagat to pound my asshole raw

rEKvLrw.gif

TQV7J9X.gif

Just applying doesn't mean you're agreeing to it. Go for it and see what happens. :)

It's actually a good idea to apply at multiple places at the same time. At the very least you aren't wasting time when waiting. At best you have the opportunity to negotiate more and you don't feel as bad about threatening to back out with a fallback plan

you're right. thanks! :)

___

do cover letters usually refer to the motivational text at the start of the cv?

jb1234

(I do listen to top 40 as I drive around town though)

I only listen to orchestral music when driving, which is often counterproductive as it has such dynamic range. This worked better yesterday with the Fellowship of the Ring score because it gets so bombastic.

(I should put on some Fleetwood Mac on my next road trip. I have an affection for them still...)

FloatOn

I only listen to orchestral music when driving, which is often counterproductive as it has such dynamic range. This worked better yesterday with the Fellowship of the Ring score because it gets so bombastic.

(I should put on some Fleetwood Mac on my next road trip. I have an affection for them still...)

my main reason for listening to top 40 is to kind of keep tabs on what is passing for music these days and to judge it as such. basically it legitimizes my snobby attitude towards music.

also pop music is completely mindless and so it kind of has this soothing effect as I deal with rage inducing traffic.

I'm good with all of that but what puts me off of pop music is the gossip culture that surround s it. I don't care who is throwing shade or who is fucking who.

(I do listen to top 40 as I drive around town though)

Yeah, I feel you. I pretty much ignore all that.

I only really follow a few major pop stars anyway. And I've gotten to the stage where I pretty much hate all of top 40 with some exceptions.

jb1234

my main reason for listening to top 40 is to kind of keep tabs on what is passing for music these days and to judge it as such. basically it legitimizes my snobby attitude towards music.

also pop music is completely mindless and so it kind of has this soothing effect as I deal with rage inducing traffic.

Hahaha. I can't listen to it. Once I realized that most pop music revolves around very obvious chord progressions, I found it too predictable to listen to. My training doesn't help this as it makes me automatically desire music with more complexity.

FloatOn

Hahaha. I can't listen to it. Once I realized that most pop music revolves around very obvious chord progressions, I found it too predictable to listen to. My training doesn't help this as it makes me automatically desire music with more complexity.

totally. are you familiar with math rock? if complexity is your thing I think you might dig it because of all the weird time signatures and time signature changes

jb1234

totally. are you familiar with math rock? if complexity is your thing I think you might dig it because of all the weird time signatures and time signature changes

There's a line, though. I like complex but I don't like too complex because at that point, it just becomes an exercise. Classical composers discovered this with twelve-tone music in the mid 20th century. I still desire a good tune just like everyone else, haha.

There's a line, though. I like complex but I don't like too complex because at that point, it just becomes an exercise. Classical composers discovered this with twelve-tone music in the mid 20th century. I still desire a good tune just like everyone else, haha.
Some math rock isn't too discordant, like Tubelord (though I wouldn't be surprised if you don't like them)

I love Tubelord :3

you're right. thanks! :)

___

do cover letters usually refer to the motivational text at the start of the cv?

No, it is your introduction (likely the email you send). The part in your CV is good stuff about yourself. Your cover letter should be personalized per company. How you found the position, why you want it, what makes you a good fit etc.

Xiao Hu

Music of the devil ::sprinkles holy water on you::

jb1234

Music of the devil ::sprinkles holy water on you::

I had to study that shit a lot in college. I thought I was dying. I can get on board with some atonal music (depending on how rhythmic it is) but twelve-tone is a no go. I just can't connect to it.

Xiao Hu

I had to study that shit a lot in college. I thought I was dying. I can get on board with some atonal music (depending on how rhythmic it is) but twelve-tone is a no go. I just can't connect to it.

I'm glad we spent only one hour on that torture in high school. My body is averse to it somehow.

Btw, I wanted to start learning to play cello but I don't know how I will be able to fit it into my schedule.

jb1234

I'm glad we spent only one hour on that torture in high school. My body is averse to it somehow.

Btw, I wanted to start learning to play cello but I don't know how I will be able to fit it into my schedule.

I'm in shock that it was covered in high school at all.

jb1234

Well, German education isn't that messy after all. We also dealt a little bit with the Asian tonal system but I forgot almost everything :/

Yeah, it makes sense that it would be covered in Europe schools for sure as that's where most of the focus of twelve-tone was. Most of its composers were Austrian.

Yeah, it makes sense that it would be covered in Europe schools for sure as that's where most of the focus of twelve-tone was. Most of its composers were Austrian.

I remember a class on twelve-tone in which everyone acted as if their ears were to fall off. they were so shocked by the lack of recurring melody/harmony lol. such simple minds

jb1234

I remember a class on twelve-tone in which everyone acted as if their ears were to fall off. they were so shocked by the lack of recurring melody/harmony lol. such simple minds

One of my favorite music school vignettes was during 20th century music history class. We were listening to a record player recording of Debussy's "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun" but there was something wrong with the record and it was making this really bizarre warping and distorting sound. One of my fellow students joked that it sounded like the prelude to the slaughter of a faun and the whole class busted up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom