• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 3.0: The Thirsty Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

I'm about ready to cry. I don't have enough money for a new one.

I can't do job shit without it. And I just fucking lost my resume.

I feel so sorry for you :( *hugs*

I know it is useless now... but maybe it is useful for the future: Use an external harddrive for back-up of any and all files you want to keep.

Edit:

It won't turn on.

No lights, no sounds, nothing.

It might be the 'thing' (dont know the english word) that feeds the power to the computer and not the HD.

The_Poet

Banned
Yeh check the power cord/battery. Hardware issues usually show something to troubleshoot with.

Take it to a computer store and ask to see if they have any compatible batteries/cables. They also might be able to help you fix it

Chuckie

Check the power source just in case.

Lol. That is the term I was looking for.

When my PC seemed to be as dead as MJ, I exchanged the whole power source casing inside the computer (I had to duct tape it because it was a spare that didn't fit) and it worked again.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So apparently Maciej Kuciara, the fine person who did these

E3eZOTg.jpg
a6HTU0k.jpg

3DUQZFv.jpg
ghR4XGr.jpg

jeDmaxG.jpg
gQ1ina1.jpg

Potentially NSFW

... worked/is working as concept artist for Cyberpunk 2077.

Excuse me while I look for some fresh undies.

Chuckie

Does it change anything if it's a laptop?

Well it will be easier for you to go to a repair shop and ask them to put in a new battery.
With a laptop it is harder to try out stuff yourself because it is harder to exchange components.

Have you tried taking out the battery and then putting in the adapter? That worked for me once.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Not really. If any, it makes finding a solution much easier.

Go to a shop and tell them that you are looking for a new power source/adapter because you think yours may be broken. Find one with a compatible plug (there are hundreds of generic ones, unless you have an Apple computer) and the same output as yours and plug it in. If your computer works, you just had a fried brick.

Which brand and model are you using?

MutFox

Banned

If it's a laptop and it won't turn on it's most likely the power adapter is my guess.
It won't turn on cause the battery hasn't charged.

Is there anyone you know that you could borrow a universal power supply from to test it?
Another thing is buy a universal power adapter, test it, then return it.
Or what Funky said.

I just ordered a battery.

Hopefully this works. Otherwise, I am so totally fucked.

In the meantime, I can't finish the application I was working on. So yay.

If it's a laptop and it won't turn on it's most likely the power adapter is my guess.
It won't turn on cause the battery hasn't charged.

Is there anyone you know that you could borrow a universal power supply from to test it?
Another thing is buy a universal power adapter, test it, then return it.

The battery has been shitting out on me for months now, to the point where it won't last more than an hour without it being plugged in. And even if the AC cord blew, it would have still held a charge for just a little while.

I was using the computer to do an application and it just shut off without warning. And no, there's no one I can borrow an adapter from.

Oh and I am using a 2010 HP Elitebook 8440p.

Which, may I add, was originally sent to me with a fried motherboard. They replaced it. Apparently. But it's given me nothing but trouble since.

Chuckie

I just ordered a battery.

Hopefully this works. Otherwise, I am so totally fucked.

In the meantime, I can't finish the application I was working on. So yay.

The battery has been shitting out on me for months now, to the point where it won't last more than an hour without it being plugged in. And even if the AC cord blew, it would have still held a charge for just a little while.

I was using the computer to do an application and it just shut off without warning. And no, there's no one I can borrow an adapter from.

So does the laptop work without the battery (but adapter plugged in)

Uh... the laptop fired up with no battery (just AC power) and then shut down automatically?

It looks like your battery may be depleted *and* your power adaptor is half busted.

Welp

I think at this point I'm going to just save up for another laptop. Original plan was to build a PC, but that's going to take forever and I need something reliable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Welp

I think at this point I'm going to just save up for another laptop. Original plan was to build a PC, but that's going to take forever and I need something reliable.

If it's just for work, I like Toshiba and Lenovo's middle range. Good, hardy beasts.

Edit: Fujitsu ain't bad, either. And they have some semi-pro models with excellent screens.

MutFox

Banned
Oh and I am using a 2010 HP Elitebook 8440p.

Which, may I add, was originally sent to me with a fried motherboard. They replaced it. Apparently. But it's given me nothing but trouble since.

I have a bunch of 8440 power adapters here at work...
If you lived close by, I'd lend you one for sure... :/

So, if you leave the battery out, can you use the laptop with the power adapter only?
It could also be the power port, might have a loose connection and need some simple soldering.

If it's just for work, I like Toshiba and Lenovo's middle range. Good, hardy beasts.

Edit: Fujitsu ain't bad, either. And they have some semi-pro models with excellent screens.

I was looking at the Asus N550JV, but I'd have to save up for it.

I have a bunch of 8440 power adapters here at work...
If you lived close by, I'd lend you one for sure... :/

So, if you leave the battery out, can you use the laptop with the power adapter only?
It could also be the power port, might have a loose connection and need some simple soldering.

I haven't tried. I took the battery out and it lit up and died, put it back in and it booted up like nothing ever happened.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The ASUS NV550 makes me moist. The tiny subwoofer that comes with it makes a world of difference if you plan to use it without headphones. It's bananas.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Top of the line Asus lappies are indeed brilliant for games, as long as you don't require massive powah. Their NVIDIA GPUs are really nice. Mate screens, too! (because fuck that glossy BS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom