• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Open world games even today seem to be limited by design decisions made when the hardware was much more limiting than it is now. One reason I generally don't enjoy open world games is the facade of grandeur usually falls away pretty quickly and you start to see the shallow design.

I'm worried as hell that this new Zelda will do that :(

I love seeing urban wildlife traversing cities like they're just another commuter waiting to cross the street or waiting for a bus.

See my skunk crossing the street post last night, it was the most adorable thing I've seen in months.
I didnt see that 😯 Can you link it?

ty :: watch dogs 2 smiley eyes ::

9n4xrZP.png

Misha

Banned
ah, the debates you miss when you're banned ;)

Really? When I think of "games where the cities are implausibly small" my mind first goes to Zelda. Maybe something about the more creatively designed characters makes them feel busier and more populous than they actually are.
Well what I was saying is that Zelda cities are more like villages and feel like that's all they need to be. Elder scrolls cities are supposed to have large economic and cultural impact but have 20 people in them. A Zelda city with 20 people usually doesn't seem like it does much in terms of trading and is just self sufficient. A much more primitice kind of city. And like I said with the larger cities they hide off parts of them in the background like in oot and tp.
Open world games even today seem to be limited by design decisions made when the hardware was much more limiting than it is now. One reason I generally don't enjoy open world games is the facade of grandeur usually falls away pretty quickly and you start to see the shallow design.

I'm worried as hell that this new Zelda will do that
Well if the new Zelda is limited by something it will be time considering they seem to not need a facade of grandeur

marrec

Banned
I quit mainly on moral grounds originally, and I've gotten used to it
Did you find it extremely difficult at first? I've been thinking about doing it tbh

I didnt see that �� Can you link it?

This one:

Saw a lady wait patiently to cross the road, and 10 feet down from her a skunk also waited patiently to cross. They both went at the same time, sauntered across the road, and went their separate ways.

It made my freakin' night, I was just inexplicably happy after that.

Well if the new Zelda is limited by something it will be time considering they seem to not need a facade of grandeur

I have hopes that Nintendo is the first company to actually get an open world RPG right.

Hot damn I love the sound of The Bundys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57D5DWqTxrk

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Zelda has good towns... sometimes.

I liked Wind Waker's island towns.

Kakariko in LttP was cool, especially how it had a dark world counterpart that was not so friendly.

OoT's castle town and Kakariko were well done. I liked how they were compact, yet full of life and very individualized characters. The mini-game shops were great fun in castle town and had a nice game-y atmosphere to them, where Kakariko also had a lot personality to it in its sleepy atmosphere. The lurking Death Mountain and the nearby graveyard, the Skulltula house, and later the well, gave the town a sense of terror lurking beneath its ordinary facade.

Majora's is objectively well designed as you spend a lot of time there, but I didn't like that game so meh

Minish Cap's was good but way too small

Jobbs

Banned
It made my freakin' night, I was just inexplicably happy after that.

And yesterday I saw a cat that was flattened on the road. Let's trade animal in the street stories please

Did you find it extremely difficult at first? I've been thinking about doing it tbh

Nah it's not that hard. I buy lots of tofu and avocados and walnuts. I make lentil soup almost every day. Fruits/veggies/berries too. And other things

Almond milk is baller and a more than suitable milk replacement

If you want to pack in lots of protein it's undoubtedly more simple a task if you eat meat, and that may be partly why I don't have a lot of muscle mass. There are still ways to get it though if you are motivated but I'm not trying to build mass so I don't care.

Ck7TKFwUUAEnpii.jpg

Well what I was saying is that Zelda cities are more like villages and feel like that's all they need to be. Elder scrolls cities are supposed to have large economic and cultural impact but have 20 people in them. A Zelda city with 20 people usually doesn't seem like it does much in terms of trading and is just self sufficient. A much more primitice kind of city. And like I said with the larger cities they hide off parts of them in the background like in oot and tp.

Eh... I don't see it. In Zelda it's always "the great, long-storied kindom of Hyrule" or whatever and the kingdom is just fifty to a hundred people, split into three or four towns of a dozen characters each or one big town in the center. It raises the question of how did all of these huge castles and dungeons get built? Why are Ordon and Lon-Lon ranch so renowned if they barely have enough animals to feed themselves, let alone produce domestic product?

Also, ironically, the largest actual town in Twilight Princess is the sheikah ghost town.

marrec

Banned
dark souls franchise and witcher 3 get it right imo

I don't consider any of the DS games I've played to be "open world" in the same way that something like Skyrim is and Witcher 3 ain't that much better than Skyrim in that regard.

The design of the DS worlds is really nice though.

Red dead redemption?

Didn't enjoy it, especially in retrospect. Suffered from all the problems that open world games have been suffering from for a decade. The game would have been much better as a more guided experience like DS.

And yesterday I saw a cat that was flattened on the road. Let's trade animal in the street stories please

No thank you to that trade :(

Nah it's not that hard. I buy lots of tofu and avocados and walnuts. I make lentil soup almost every day. Fruits/veggies/berries too. And other things

Almond milk is baller and a more than suitable milk replacement

If you want to pack in lots of protein it's undoubtedly more simple a task if you eat meat, and that may be partly why I don't have a lot of muscle mass. There are still ways to get it though if you are motivated but I'm not trying to build mass so I don't care.

I already drink Almond milk and I can't eat eggs

Problem would be cheese though, needs my cheese.

Symphonia

Banned
Today is Anything Can Happen Thursday, a day in which my routine is shaken to the very core as I abandon my organisational needs and do something crazy/boring. Monday is Chinese, Tuesday is KFC, Wednesday is McDonalds, Friday is fish and chips, and the weekend is anything that I have in the freezer and cupboards. Anything Can Happen Thursday doesn't apply to food only, of course, it affects my entire plans for the night. After throwing the die, it looks like tonight I'm...reading Game Of Thrones and eating crackers, washed down with wine.

Misha

Banned
Yep, it does, though I it lacks the RPG part, I don't mind that but would be nice to have it.
How is it less of an rpg than Zelda? If we're accepting jobbs calling Zelda an rpg I think it's fair to also call rdr and rpg
Didn't enjoy it, especially in retrospect. Suffered from all the problems that open world games have been suffering from for a decade. The game would have been much better as a more guided experience like DS.
I very much disagree. You need open world to nail the tone of the west. And it's pretty well guided. You follow the roads on your horse and as you go the quests keep telling you to go further and further out. It's really not a game that particularly rewards going off the beaten path unless you just enjoy doing that on your own.

marrec

Banned
Aw❤️
I just saw a duck on a roof!!!!

At first I inexplicably thought "does that lady have a pet skunk that she walks off leash?!" that's how natural they looked standing basically next to each other. I don't think she saw him/her.

I wanna see a duck on a roof!

Lucky. :( Ducks are awesome.

FloatOn

I hate to be a curmudgeon but as I get older I becoming more and more skeptical of games.

The same old tricks don't wow me anymore and it sucks.

Slowly morphing into derrick01 mk.2 it seems

Timu

How is it less of an rpg than Zelda? If we're accepting jobbs calling Zelda an rpg I think it's fair to also call rdr and rpg
Ok, fair enough. I was going to bring up the level up system, but even non rpgs have it so I got nothing, lol.

FloatOn

Zelda ain't an RPG and Dark Souls ain't open world

wrong and wrong

in zelda you dungeon crawl, level up (heart container upgrades), learn new abilities, interact with NPCs and assume the identity of a blank avatar

dark souls has you exploring a somewhat large map in pretty much whatever order you choose.

Jobbs

Banned
If you didn't think Zelda was an RPG before I don't know any other way of describing beasts of the wild or whatever it's called

it has every RPG trope and then some!

SystemBug

RDR would have been better if its linear.

what, how.

how.

riding on your horse from mission to mission or just for the sake of it is such a huge part of RDR

Timu

If you didn't think Zelda was an RPG before I don't know any other way of describing beasts of the wild or whatever it's called

People to this day will argue that for Zelda. Many don't consider it an RPG compared to the likes of Final Fantasy and such.

Yeah, Breath of the Wild is a odd name.

marrec

Banned
RDR would have been better if its linear.

what, how.

how.

riding on your horse from mission to mission or just for the sake of it is such a huge part of RDR

Ya, and riding your horse from mission to mission in the world they made was not fun. It made the game worse.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like Breath of the Wild because it's the first title since Link to the Past to not be "thing that is in game"

Misha

Banned

Zelda is typically called "action adventure" and has very few rpg mechanics
Ya, and riding your horse from mission to mission in the world they made was not fun. It made the game worse.
Next you're going to tell me that the mako made mass effect worse

zeemumu

Most LoZ games don't classify as an RPG. You technically don't have stats beyond damage counters that you can't see for different weapons, upgrades are bare bones, and you have no control over what your character is aside from the name. But Breath of the Wild is definitely an RPG. There's no doubt about that.

Jobbs

Banned
I may be wrong but I think that's the direction Jobbs is going with Ghost Song

IIRC there will be NPCs and such

it's not a hardcore RPG but it's more of an RPG than metroid is. there are npcs you can talk to and stats and levels and a pet you can feed and make it evolve

SolVanderlyn

E3 Thread Locking Rules:
During E3, we have a standing policy against "5 second reaction threads". What is a 5 second reaction thread? It's a thread that you make immediately after an announcement, or in some cases after a lack of an announcement, where you are really just blowing off steam. These threads include things like: "Wow Sony just won E3!", "Where's Rare's game???", "How will the other conferences match Ubisoft's?!?!", "Wow every game had playable female characters", "Was GAF's hype for Fallout premature?", "Damn how will Microsoft match the PS4Neo?", "Are you buying an NX?". Mostly if your thread is a question that popped into your head a few seconds ago, you shouldn't be posting it right now.

During E3 lots of news and announcements are breaking and it can be hard to keep track of it all. Low content reaction threads make it hard for users to find what they're looking for, and because passions are running hot they also tend to lead to messes. If you just wanted to make a quick comment, try to make it in reply to the relevant thread.

If you still believe this requires a thread, polish it up a bit and re-post when stuff cools down no earlier than next Friday. Thanks. You can check this policy post from E3 2015 for more information.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234249

Total bullshit, I played the demo and put some decent thought into this thread. It was a legitimate point of discussion with well reasoned points. 5 second reaction my ass. I am offended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom