• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

since nobody is actually talking about what makes zelda OMGSOGREAT....

I did some research

•There are shrines scattered around the world, over 100, each have trails of puzzles or combat. Treasures and sometimes new skills are found within. These are not the full dungeons you will also find.

padding

•There are enemy base camps, some have a treasure chest that only opens when you clear the camp.

padding

•There will be towns and NPCs but most have been removed for the demo.

I hope they do something cool with this

•Giant physics based playground, everything is governed by physics. See a boulder, roll it down a hill, it may crush enemies. Can cross a chasm but see large trees, chop it down to create a bridge.

this sounds promising

•One item is called stasis it freezes an object in time. See gears moving some platforms or a bridge, freeze it. See giant metal spikes rolling around, freeze it. See a seesaw bridge that doesn't let you cross when too much weight is put on one side, freeze it.
•Stasis can be used to freeze any static object then you can hit the object with your sword or another object which transfers kinetic energy to the frozen object so when the stasis wears off that object will explode in the direction you were hitting it. This can be used to launch boulders into the air like a cannon at enemies.

I did this in dead space

•You can hop on the shield and use it to sled down mountains.

this sounds fun

•Enemies have alert states that are shown with classic MGS ? ! icons. They will investigate sound, which you can keep track of with the sound meter. You can sneak up on enemies and do a stealth kill.

hand holding

•With the arrow you can do some jump slow motion attack that freezes you in the air to aim and shoot.

I did bullet time in max payne

•These shrines have great puzzles, one is a gigantic spinning gear with spikes, you need to freeze the gears in time to jump around. Another had a series of rooms with giant boulders which needed to be pushed. At one point you take control of a giant hammer to smack the boulder. You can use all your skills to solve these, no set solution, multiple ways to solve all puzzles.

this sounds fun

Apparently my local rad cinema is doing a 35mm screening of Ghost World tonorrow. Do I go? I have never seen it

I did some research

padding

padding

this sounds promising

I did this in dead space

this sounds fun

hand holding

this sounds fun

Why does it matter that other people think something looks good

Also I'm amused by your thing of "other game did thing so this game doing it is dumb"

FloatOn

Apparently my local rad cinema is doing a 35mm screening of Ghost World tonorrow. Do I go? I have never seen it

Why does it matter that other people think something looks good

Also I'm amused by your thing of "other game did thing so this game doing it is dumb"

It's a good movie. I would.

I just want to have a conversation about this game. If you think it looks good, let's actually talk about it instead of just gushing. If you are more critical let's talk about that too. I actually have some free time on my hands at work today and would like to talk about things.

And I never said it was dumb. I guess my thing is when I play a game I want to experience something new. Life is too short to play reheated mechanics.

how the heck is encouraging gameplay padding?

Hundreds of of the same type of mini-event is the definition of tedium. It may be fun at first but it gets so boring by the end.

if these events were taken out of the game, you would still have a game, you just wouldn't have all the little distractions that are ultimately meaningless.

SystemBug

if these events were taken out of the game, you would still have a game, you just wouldn't have all the little distractions that are ultimately meaningless.

they aren't really meaning less. they are supposed to offer something to do in the open world. they are supposed to be fun and a break between the more puzzle heavy dungeon sections of the game.

FloatOn

I'm confused. You called shrines both padding and fun sounding

when they described what the shrine was it sounds like this type of thing could be fun if each of them were different enough. I thnk they could be fun at first but like all repeating content will probably wear out their welcome pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed climbing the radio towers in far cry 3. (The first 20 times or so)

they aren't really meaning less. they are supposed to offer something to do in the open world. they are supposed to be fun and a break between the more puzzle heavy dungeon sections of the game.

oh I get the intent. just like the 40 insurance fraud events in saints row were meant to give you a break between the story missions. I understand why these types of things are in open world games. I'm just saying that they become super tedious after a time.

zeemumu

I did some research

padding

padding

this sounds promising

I did this in dead space

this sounds fun

hand holding

this sounds fun

Having random events scattered across your massive map isn't padding if the alternative is having a big empty map with nothing

An alert system isn't hand-holding. All games with a stealth mechanic have some form of alert system that is visible to the player.

You know what they're going to do with the towns. It's Zelda. A majority of the games have towns

Dead Space is not the first or only game to use stasis, and it certainly won't be the last.

Max Payne also does not own bullet time. I don't look at SUPERHOT or Enter the Matrix or F.E.A.R. and dismiss them as ripping off Max Payne due to bullet time.

Luna, Cho, Padma and some other Ravenclaws fought the battle of Hogwarts!

That's why I was confused. I don't remember anyone but Slytherin being barred from the fight.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I did some research

padding

padding

this sounds promising

I did this in dead space

this sounds fun

hand holding

this sounds fun

So rich coming from a huge Blizzard fan, the master in reusing proven gameplay concepts. :p

marrec

Banned
I bought more avocados and made damn sure they were firm. If these all suddenly rot tomorrow I'm calling a priest

If they go bad but not too bad just make some dark guac and call it a day. Mmmh, dark guac.

Reminds me a lot of early 20th century Western history, what's going on now.

I dunno what Vaz was hearing but the new Tegan and Sara is at least as good as the last one.

It's not The Con, but what is?

FloatOn

So rich coming from a huge Blizzard fan, the master in reusing proven gameplay concepts. :p

yo who said I was a huge blizzard fan?

I just like overwatch

rts games and WoW can suck on my balls

Having random events scattered across your massive map isn't padding if the alternative is having a big empty map with nothing

An alert system isn't hand-holding. All games with a stealth mechanic have some form of alert system that is visible to the player.

You know what they're going to do with the towns. It's Zelda. A majority of the games have towns

Dead Space is not the first or only game to use stasis, and it certainly won't be the last.

Max Payne also does not own bullet time. I don't look at SUPERHOT or Enter the Matrix or F.E.A.R. and dismiss them as ripping off Max Payne due to bullet time.

dark souls has big open maps with non-repeating events. there are subtle questlines and covenant objectives you can do if you don't want to do the main quest. it's fine if you like it but by it's very defintion these repeating events scattered on the map is padding

having a "?" or a "!" pop over their head is fucking hand holding. if the game animations are not good enough to clue you in to an enemy being alerted to you and has to hold your hand with these icons telling you... it's pretty sad

and like I said, I'm not saying that using these unoriginal mechanics is exactly a horrible thing. I'm sure they will be well implemented. What I am saying is that they are not all that exciting to me since I've already used them to death. I'd like to see something new sometimes

I like the huge open air design of the new Zelda. The "tighter" design has always felt really cramped to me, destroying the facade that it's an actual world people live in, and not just a fantasy-skinned puzzle box.

:: veggie tofu stir fry ::

~baaacoooonnnnnn~

bXj8PTw.jpg

Misha

Banned
I like the huge open air design of the new Zelda. The "tighter" design has always felt really cramped to me, destroying the facade that it's an actual world people live in, and not just a fantasy-skinned puzzle box.
(Ignoring the fact that it's Zelda)

One thing I've always wanted from medieval open world games is more farms. Always bothered me that there was a lack of them. Wonder if that's something that could happen with this larger map

Got this guy mostly dialed in. Spent all day so far on particle effects, pretty much.

WEBM

He has a number of more interesting moves but I can't fit them all in a gif plus they're not all particled up yet

That looks great!

(Ignoring the fact that it's Zelda)

One thing I've always wanted from medieval open world games is more farms. Always bothered me that there was a lack of them. Wonder if that's something that could happen with this larger map

Yeah, farms are laughably small or nonexistent. OoT has the ranch, but nowhere actually growing crops IIRC. The village at the beginning of TP herds goats and grows pumpkins on a tiny personal garden, but that's about it.

The game I'm making has huge farms in it (mostly seen in the background) and lots of farmer NPCs.

Misha

Banned
That looks great!

Yeah, farms are laughably small or nonexistent. OoT has the ranch, but nowhere actually growing crops IIRC. The village at the beginning of TP herds goats and grows pumpkins on a tiny personal garden, but that's about it.

The game I'm making has huge farms in it (mostly seen in the background) and lots of farmer NPCs.
I meant more in like elder scrolls games that already have large worlds. They somewhat addressed this with skyrim but not nearly enough

Weirdly Zelda actually seems to get city size to feel better than elder scrolls games. Either they do this by not showing the whole city of by just make it a medium sized village instead

What'd ya do? Give up meat?

ah, the debates you miss when you're banned ;)

I meant more in like elder scrolls games that already have large worlds. They somewhat addressed this with skyrim but not nearly enough

Weirdly Zelda actually seems to get city size to feel better than elder scrolls games. Either they do this by not showing the whole city of by just make it a medium sized village instead

Really? When I think of "games where the cities are implausibly small" my mind first goes to Zelda. Maybe something about the more creatively designed characters makes them feel busier and more populous than they actually are.

marrec

Banned

Open world games even today seem to be limited by design decisions made when the hardware was much more limiting than it is now. One reason I generally don't enjoy open world games is the facade of grandeur usually falls away pretty quickly and you start to see the shallow design.

I'm worried as hell that this new Zelda will do that :(

I just saw a mouse!!!!! Casually running around in the city. Today was a good day.

I love seeing urban wildlife traversing cities like they're just another commuter waiting to cross the street or waiting for a bus.

See my skunk crossing the street post last night, it was the most adorable thing I've seen in months.

FloatOn

the powers that be shut down westboro baptist church showing up this saturday :D

Open world games even today seem to be limited by design decisions made when the hardware was much more limiting than it is now. One reason I generally don't enjoy open world games is the facade of grandeur usually falls away pretty quickly and you start to see the shallow design.

I'm worried as hell that this new Zelda will do that :(

this. I think games like dishonored and deus ex get it right.

have a hub world as a "home base" and then have larger open-ish but well crafted levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom