• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

so now that Clinton is finally in the clear Trump is basically done for yeah?

that was like his one big thing he had against her.

Now to investigate her political history to see if she actually deserves my vote.

Jobbs

Banned

Now to investigate her political history to see if she actually deserves my vote.

if you think truth or reality or facts have any bearing on what trump says you haven't been paying attention

I'd vote for lisa's hobo boyfriend if he was running against trump. I'd vote for the stain on my carpet if it was running against trump (and I hate that stain). I don't know what research you need to do

oh thank the gods!

is anything on the planet creepier than taxidermy? one of those things that makes me wonder about humanity as a whole

Misha

Banned
haha :D there should be different movesets with a bunch of terms like this. that way you could comment it like some sports event.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=peAtB_dFUh0
Kinda the same?

She's very liberal and tends to do what she says though she says it in the most scripted way possible. If you look at stuff from 20 years ago you might not like what she did entirely but she's consistently moved in the same direction and has only flipped but hasn't flopped. Personally I find being willing to evolve is an admirable trait though others don't seem to agree
Research is definitely the best thing possible since there has been a lot of propaganda put there on her

Jobbs

Banned
Uhhh guys who cares what Hillary says or does?

Trump is openly a bigot and a racist, and that's only one of the many many many things wrong with him

What's to think about? It's the responsibility of any educated or civilized person to vote against him

FloatOn

if you think truth or reality or facts have any bearing on what trump says you haven't been paying attention

I'd vote for lisa's hobo boyfriend if he was running against trump. I'd vote for the stain on my carpet if it was running against trump (and I hate that stain). I don't know what research you need to do

I used to be of the mind of "vote against the person I don't like". There is no way I would ever vote for Trump, that much is obvious. However, I'm not going to vote for someone just because they are not Trump. I need to know if they actually deserve my vote.

Since Bernie didn't make it I was just planning on not voting but now that Clinton is in the clear I may end up standing beside her. Seems she did quite a bit of work for children and their healthcare. That's kind of a big deal

Jobbs

Banned
I used to be of the mind of "vote against the person I don't like". There is no way I would ever vote for Trump, that much is obvious. However, I'm not going to vote for someone just because they are not Trump. I need to know if they actually deserve my vote.

Since Bernie didn't make it I was just planning on not voting but now that Clinton is in the clear I may end up standing beside her. Seem she did quite a bit of work for children and their healthcare. That's kind of a big deal

you live with what we have not with what you wish we had

we have trump vs. not trump

if you don't vote against trump and he wins florida, please don't complain about racist in chief

Misha

Banned
Uhhh guys who cares what Hillary says or does?

Trump is openly a bigot and a racist, and that's only one of the many many many things wrong with him

What's to think about? It's the responsibility of any educated or civilized person to vote against him
There are people who believe in accelerationism and Hillary proving to be a good candidate would help convince them not to root for it all burning down.
Not to say that floaton is for that but the point is there are reasons it can help and I'm confident that it can't hurt

FloatOn

you live with what we have not with what you wish we had

we have trump vs. not trump

if you don't vote against trump and he wins florida, please don't complain about racist in chief

my vote is my conscience

I am not okay with compromising on that, even if it is for the greater good of voting against Trump.

I'm slightly embarassed that I don't know more about Hillary but after I do some research and determine that she is a worthy candidate, then and only then will I feel good about voting for her.

Jobbs

Banned
my vote is my conscience

I am not okay with compromising on that, even if it is for the greater good of voting against Trump.

I'm slightly embarassed that I don't know more about Hillary but after I do some research and determine that she is a worthy candidate, then and only then will I feel good about voting for her.

I would argue strongly that abstaining in an election between a great evil and someone who's just kinda boring is a violation of conscience. Have you been paying attention to what Trump says? How can you do nothing to push back against that?

Your call, but your reasoning is not sound IMO

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hmmm...looking through the people who responded to me, I feel as though it is my genetically predetermined destiny to respond to this, so apologies for being a few days late on this, I didn't see it the first time.

I can't put in words how much I hate these movies. Lilith is totally right when saying the Amazing ones are better, pretty much everything is. I'd rather watch more japanese Spider-Man or Spidey and his amazing friends than those Tobey bullshit movies.
Better? How so? The main character is an absolute prick who does not understand the meaning of the word "responsibility", there's no real story throughout because they're far too busy setting up its own sequels to do so, the other characters are shallow as hell very much as a result of that, various plot threads are abandoned for no good reason, moments that should have been emotional as all hell end up being executed it the most anticlimatic way possible with those moments going as far as to absolve Peter from any and all responsibility, those two movies are like American Hustle in a way, where the entire appeal seems to hinge on you enjoying what these characters are doing in the moment, and once that appeal fades away, the movie just falls apart at the seams. It's surface level competence masking complete ineptitude.

They also finally help me understand what Star Wars fans were going through when they saw the Prequels, except even those three movies had a better understanding on setting up a chosen one story for its lead than the ASM movies did throughout. Amazing Spiderman 1 + 2 just didn't get Spiderman as a character outside of those surface qualities. And even then they don't work because Peter is by and large the same character underneath the mask. Spiderman in the ASM movies is by and large a fundamentally broken character. And if all it takes for anyone to like a hollow character like Andrew Garfield's Spiderman is just pull some quips and have good chemistry with his best girl with little depth to show for it, then I don't know what Spiderman is anymore.

FloatOn

I would argue strongly that abstaining in an election between a great evil and someone who's just kinda boring is a violation of conscience. Have you been paying attention to what Trump says? How can you do nothing to push back against that?

Your call, but your reasoning is not sound IMO

of course I've been paying attention to the fuckery of Trump. Can't stand it. But I vote for what I believe in, nothing less. I am not okay with compromise. It's fine that you are okay with voting for "not Trump" but I need something more.

I defer to the wisdom of the monks during the time of Roman Empire. When they saw the state of things, they left, they refused to play their game and stuck to their convictions.

The probability is high that I will vote for Clinton, but in order to do so I need to believe in her.

edit - and btw I've been pushing back by way of supporting the Bernie Sanders campaign

Jobbs

Banned
of course I've been paying attention to the fuckery of Trump. Can't stand it. But I vote for what I believe in, nothing less. I am not okay with compromise. It's fine that you are okay with voting for "not Trump" but I need something more.

I defer to the wisdom of the monks during the time of Roman Empire. When they saw the state of things, they left, they refused to play their game and stuck to their convictions.

The probability is high that I will vote for Clinton, but in order to do so I need to believe in her.

edit - and btw I've been pushing back by way of supporting the Bernie Sanders campaign

bernie sanders is irrelevant unfortunately

you have a civic duty to vote in a way that is best for your community. if you think trump would be better or that it would make no difference, then don't vote for hillary, it's that simple

FloatOn

bernie sanders is irrelevant unfortunately

you have a civic duty to vote in a way that is best for your community. if you think trump would be better or that it would make no difference, then don't vote for hillary, it's that simple

I don't think things are that binary.

It's clear that Trump is a racist asshole that is no good for anyone. But let's say that Clinton is just as bad just in different and less obvious ways, would you feel good about voting for someone like that?

I wouldn't.

Misha

Banned
I liked the prequels overall plot better than the ot but the directing is the difference
Pt: good general plot, questionable script, bad directing
Ot: really not much in the way of plot, fairly straight forward script, good directing and acting

Jobbs

Banned
333.gif

333.gif

333.gif

I liked the prequels overall plot better than the ot but the directing is the difference
Pt: good general plot, questionable script, bad directing
Ot: really not much in the way of plot, fairly straight forward script, good directing and acting

333.gif

Cheryl Cole is getting a workout today

FloatOn

ITT: Jobbs being condescending for someone wanting to vote for their convictions

edit - how about instead of being obnoxious about the "not Trump" argument. let's talk the pros and cons of Clinton. What has she done politically that you allign with? what makes you think she is a good candidate for presidency?

"not Trump" isn't an accolade btw

I can understand Float. it's not like Hillary is just "boring". I wouldn't feel good voting for her either. but it's like..either way y'all are fucked.

Jobbs

Banned
I can understand Float. it's not like Hillary is just "boring". I wouldn't feel good voting for her either. but it's like..either way y'all are fucked.

Hillary would continue Obama's policies. Trump wouldn't. Plus he's an open racist/bigot. It's actually a stark difference

Most important of all, the next president will establish the configuration of the supreme court for a generation. It will affect many many many people and the character of our country.

FloatOn

a cursory look at the google results are interesting

- Even though her major initiative, the Clinton healthcare plan, failed (due to Republican obstruction), you cannot deny that it laid ground for what we have today, the Affordable Healthcare Act, something Clinton supports and would continue.
- She played a leading role in the development of State Children’s Health Insurance Program, which provides the much-needed state support for children whose parents cannot afford nor provide them with adequate healthcare coverage.
- She was also instrumental in the creation of the Adoption and Safe Families Act and the Foster Care Independence Act.
- Successfully fought to increase research funding for prostate cancer and asthma at the National Institute of Health (NIH).
- She spearheaded investigations into mental illness plaguing veterans of the Gulf War; we now have a term for it – Gulf War Syndrome.
- At the Department of Justice, she helped create the office on Violence Against Women.
- She was instrumental in securing over $21 billion in funding for the World Trade Center redevelopment.
- Took a leading role in the investigation of health consequences of first responders and drafted the first bill to compensate and offer the health services our first responders deserve (Clinton’s successor in the Senate, Kirsten Gillibrand, passed the bill).
- Was instrumental in working out a bi-partisan compromise to address civil liberty abuses for the renewal of the U.S. Patriot Act.
- Proposed a revival of the New Deal-era Home Owners’ Loan Corporation to help homeowners refinance their mortgages in the wake of the 2008 financial disaster.
- Was a major proponent of sensible diplomacy which brought about a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel, and brokered human rights with Burma.
-Oversaw free trade agreements with our allies such as Panama, Colombia, and South Korea.
- Was the most traveled Secretary of State to date.
- The Clinton Foundation, founded by her and her husband, has improved the living conditions for nearly 400 million people in over 180 countries through its Initiative program.
- These are not all of her accomplishments. Her activism on behalf of women a children across the world is renowned. Her activism for raising the minimum wage and combating climate change is stellar.

I can get behind this. She may not be the revolutionary that Bernie Sanders is but it seems that she has taken up some worthy causes.

Plus, finally having a woman president would be pretty awesome :D

Hillary would continue Obama's policies. Trump wouldn't. Plus he's an open racist/bigot. It's actually a stark difference

you're saying that like it's a good thing in everyone's eyes. I was never a fan of Obama tbh. not that I have anything to say in this anyway but I still understand the frustration here.
and of course there's a difference between Trump and Hillary but when you don't really agree with either of them it still sucks.

Jobbs

Banned
Democracy is about holding your nose and voting for the best outcome. The only itme I ever felt good about it was Obama.

And, again, the supreme court is so incredibly important. The next president will establish the balance of the supreme court right at the outset.

you're saying that like it's a good thing in everyone's eyes. I was never a fan of Obama tbh. not that I have anything to say in this anyway but I still understand the frustration here.
and of course there's a difference between Trump and Hillary but when you don't really agree with either of them it still sucks.

the supreme court, trabby!!

Misha

Banned
a cursory look at the google results are interesting

I can get behind this. She may not be the revolutionary that Bernie Sanders is but it seems that she has taken up some worthy causes.

Plus, finally having a woman president would be pretty awesome :D
Plus when she finally gets arrested for the email thing we can have our second woman president when VP Elizabeth warren takes office :p

Jobbs

Banned
Trump is an open racist who endorses torture and says we should be chopping off heads and drowning people in cages like isis does. I just don't understand how you can say it's no different -- How anyone can say that. This is about the character of our country as well as the lives of vulnerable people who would be hurt by trump directly

Democracy is about holding your nose and voting for the best outcome. The only itme I ever felt good about it was Obama.

And, again, the supreme court is so incredibly important. The next president will establish the balance of the supreme court right at the outset.

the supreme court, trabby!!

the best outcome can still be bad. anything would be better compared to Trump but that's not a get out of jail free card for Hillary nor a compliment to her politics. it actually disturbs me how careless people talk about this. celebrating Obama and Hillary only because they may seem like the least shitty thing. you should still be critical.

FloatOn

Trump is an open racist who endorses torture and says we should be chopping off heads and drowning people in cages like isis does. I just don't understand how you can say it's no different -- How anyone can say that. This is about the character of our country as well as the lives of vulnerable people who would be hurt by trump directly

we get it. it's obvious what we should all be against.

but what are you for?

does clinton represent that?

the best outcome can still be bad. anything would be better compared to Trump but that's not a get out of jail free card for Hillary nor a compliment to her politics. it actually disturbs me how careless people talk about this. celebrating Obama and Hillary only because they may seem like the least shitty thing. you should still be critical.

bingo

Jobbs

Banned
we get it. it's obvious what we should all be against.

but what are you for?

does clinton represent that?

There is no perfect candidate, but Trump makes every hair on my neck stand up, I have to do what is right by making a choice between what we have available to us.

I would rather have Bernie Sanders as president too. I seriously would. But he's not going to be in the general election. The choice will be Trump or Clinton, and the choice between those seems clear to me

There is no perfect candidate, but Trump makes every hair on my neck stand up, I have to do what is right by making a choice between what we have available to us.

I would rather have Bernie Sanders as president too. I seriously would. But he's not going to be in the general election. The choice will be Trump or Clinton, and the choice between those seems clear to me

I'm not saying you're doing the wrong thing here. I see what you mean. but I was just trying to say that I would be just as torn as Float in this situation. it's not just a match between good/evil or boring/evil. there's corruption and weird stuff going on on both sides. even though Trump takes it to a cartoon villain extreme of course. I definitely understand that and it's scary as shit.
oh Bernie :,(

marrec

Banned
ITT: Jobbs being condescending for someone wanting to vote for their convictions

edit - how about instead of being obnoxious about the "not Trump" argument. let's talk the pros and cons of Clinton. What has she done politically that you allign with? what makes you think she is a good candidate for presidency?

"not Trump" isn't an accolade btw

She has long advocated for the kinds of economic change we need in America re: increasing minimum wages, affordable healthcare, reducing income inequality, regulating wall street in a sweeping but sensible manner.

She has long advocated for the kinds of social change we need in America re: racial inequality, discrimination, and the school to prison pipeline.

She has long advocated for the kind of gun control we need in America re: sensible laws restricting certain types of weapons, expanding background checks, enforcing existing laws, closing loop holes.

She has long been admired and respected by the international community re: all her work as first lady and senator and secretary of state

She has made many extremely tough decisions throughout her public service to America re: her tenure as Sec of State. (You may disagree with some of those decisions, but she made them and has not skirted the responsibility of those decisions.)

She literally has ZERO qualities that would make me think twice in voting for her. In 2008 she was my perfered candidate and she is in 2016.

The better question is, what are her negatives besides "I don't trust her" and "Voted for Iraq, advised on Libya"?

I would have voted for Bernie, but I prefer Clinton. Bernie at best is a benevolent idealist but at worst (and what's he's proven to be) is an ideological zealot who's willing to burn anyone who gets in his way.

Even with the many parties I get to pick from here it still feels like I am voting for the least worst. And that is just based on their statements before they are elected, even when I know it will be even worse in practice. Pretty much everyone is critical of politics, doesn't mean we don't care about that by voting for specific parties. With the two party system in the US it is even worse though.

When I am voting, what else is there to do than to vote the least worst? I can not vote, meaning it is interpreted as being uninterested and more chances for a party to win that aligns less with my wishes. I can go vote and vote nothing, which is basically ignored.

There is no good reason to not vote instead of voting for the party that aligns the most with your wishes. Saying that you don't completely agree with anyone and not voting is pointless.

Misha

Banned
Complimenting Hillary happens way less often than criticizing her. Her achievements are never brought up and from every side she's painted as undesirable.
Celebrating Hillary is definitely not an issue

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not saying you're doing the wrong thing here. I see what you mean. but I was just trying to say that I would be just as torn as Float in this situation. it's not just a match between good/evil or boring/evil. there's corruption and weird stuff going on on both sides. even though Trump takes it to a cartoon villain extreme of course. I definitely understand that and it's scary as shit.
oh Bernie :,(

Trump is vile. I can't say Hillary is perfect but there's a clear distinction here. He's a cartoon character.

BTW did snake guy reply?? :)

marrec

Banned
To add to her positives since I just remembered one:

She's and her husband both have proven to be savvy and intelligent politicians willing to reach across the aisle to get common sense legislation passed re: Working with a Republican held House and Senate during her Husband's presidency.

FloatOn

She has long advocated for the kinds of economic change we need in America re: increasing minimum wages, affordable healthcare, reducing income inequality, regulating wall street in a sweeping but sensible manner.

She has long advocated for the kinds of social change we need in America re: racial inequality, discrimination, and the school to prison pipeline.

She has long advocated for the kind of gun control we need in America re: sensible laws restricting certain types of weapons, expanding background checks, enforcing existing laws, closing loop holes.

She has long been admired and respected by the international community re: all her work as first lady and senator and secretary of state

She has made many extremely tough decisions throughout her public service to America re: her tenure as Sec of State. (You may disagree with some of those decisions, but she made them and has not skirted the responsibility of those decisions.)

She literally has ZERO qualities that would make me think twice in voting for her. In 2008 she was my perfered candidate and she is in 2016.

The better question is, what are her negatives besides "I don't trust her" and "Voted for Iraq, advised on Libya"?

I would have voted for Bernie, but I prefer Clinton. Bernie at best is a benevolent idealist but at worst (and what's he's proven to be) is an ideological zealot who's willing to burn anyone who gets in his way.

this was the kind of insight I was looking for. Thanks :D

"not Trump" is an okay argument but not one I feel good about.

Jobbs

Banned
I think "Not Trump" is an exceptionally strong argument actually...

But if you care about gun control and the myriad other things Marrec mentioned then I don't know why you would ever abstain. It's not a revelation that a liberal would be for most of those things

Misha

Banned
this was the kind of insight I was looking for. Thanks :D

"not Trump" is an okay argument but not one I feel good about.
I can't remember your stance on gun control but if you're for it keep in mind that she's more left than Bernie on that.

"As Barack Obama’s secretary of state, she presided over the expansion of illegal drone attacks that by conservative estimates have killed many hundreds of civilians, while reaffirming US alliances with vicious dictatorships."

"Clinton herself is widely recognized to have been one of the administration’s most forceful advocates of attacking or expanding military operations in Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria and of strengthening US ties to dictatorships in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Bahrain, Morocco, and elsewhere."

"She ensured that Palestine’s UN statehood bid “went nowhere in the Security Council.” Though out of office by the time Israel launched its savage 2014 assault on Gaza, she ardently defended it in interviews. "

"As confirmed in her 2014 book, she effectively supported the 2009 military overthrow of left-of-center Honduran President Manuel Zelaya "

among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom