• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

Oh man I actually really like the Nolan films. Best super hero movies in my eyes
They are (usually) competently made films. But I don't like Bale's Bruce so that ruins it for me already considering he's my favorite fictional character.

He also really dropped the ball with The Dark Knight Rises as far as themes go. At least he didn't ruin Selina considering he usually can't make female characters.

Jobbs

Banned
Nah. Leto Joker has those crazy joker eyes down 100%

It's gonna be hard to follow Ledger but everyone thought the same thing after Nicholson.

Also - Nolan is film Jesus. the man can do no wrong in my eyes. Interstellar was my everything.

eh?

interstellar had some baseline entertainment value because I like space mission movies, but it was so full of dumb shit and so... unintellectual and unserious that I want to jump into the cosmos and explode

I pretty much outright hate nearly everything Nolan has made

Go watch Europa Report for a good space mission movie that doesn't assume its audience are children

Misha

Banned
They are (usually) competently made films. But I don't like Bale's Bruce so that ruins it for me already considering he's my favorite fictional character.

He also really dropped the ball with The Dark Knight Rises as far as themes go. At least he didn't ruin Selina considering he usually can't make female characters.
I don't like Anne Hathaway so that really didn't work for me.
Tho definitely much worse someone could do with cat woman. ...

Pau

Oh you guys just wanted the derivative comic but in the big screen.

Super hero comics are such a shit form and to me killed the full potential of comic books.

Image comics is literally saving comic books right now
The derivative comic?

Superhero comics aren't perfect and have a lot of issues, but there is a lot of good in there. I too wish they didn't cannibalize the market, but superhero stories can be good while still being superhero stories.

I'm not as hard on the Marvel movies because they aren't trying to be anything different and also because they don't tend to feature my favorite characters.

FloatOn

SystemBug

eh?

interstellar had some baseline entertainment value because I like space mission movies, but it was so full of dumb shit and so... unintellectual and unserious that I want to jump into the cosmos and explode

I pretty much outright hate nearly everything Nolan has made
the way you constantly shit on good stuff really makes me want to try ghost song.

How am I kidding it's probably going to be a shitty metriod clone

Pau

Nolan does best when he's playing around with narrative structure. The one film I really like from him is The Prestige. I wish he had brought that sensibility to Batman but he didn't.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
ugh, rain caught me during my evening walk, so I ended drenched to my underpants. Now I am going straight to bed.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ugh, rain caught me during my evening walk, so I ended drenched to my underpants. Now I am going straight to bed.

Let me take care of your drenched clothes and body.
clock-eyebrow.gif

Misha

Banned
Nolan does best when he's playing around with narrative structure. The one film I really like from him is The Prestige. I wish he had brought that sensibility to Batman but he didn't.
I still need to see that one. I've heard a lot of good things.

His other movies are definitely fun but they're more spectacle and trying to dazzle you with being smart than actually being well made
I still need to see Memento.
It's one of my favorite movies. I'm a sucker for non chronological narratives though.

Pau

His other movies are definitely fun but they're more spectacle and trying to dazzle you with being smart than actually being well made
It has that issue where women aren't actually characters but plot devices but otherwise I think it's really neat!

Timu

It's one of my favorite movies. I'm a sucker for non chronological narratives though.
I'm seeing it this summer then.=p And The Prestige.

Jobbs

Banned

The scientists played a role in the movie's conclusion? I didn't love the ending.

Also nasa astronauts explaining to eachother simple concepts they should already understand for the sake of the audience is so fucking annoying

Also the movie had about 10,000 things in it that made no plausible sense but it's been 2 years and I can't go point by point - suffice it to say it was a mess where core motivations of characters simply weren't believable. characters behaved in ways that were so implausible to me that I didn't buy them as human beings, and that alone severed my connection to the movie

the way you constantly shit on good stuff really makes me want to try ghost song.

How am I kidding it's probably going to be a shitty metriod clone

That's basically it, you shouldn't buy it.

everyone needs to watch europa report then watch interstellar and reflect on the differences in approach

Misha

Banned
I'm seeing it this summer then.=p And The Prestige.
It's definitely very artsy compared to his other films. Still pretentious but not in a mainstream way. Could definitely see it being a hard watch for a lot of people.

For reference I also like usual suspects and eternal sunshine for the spotless mind that also sorta skip around in narrative. They definitely have more blockbuster polish though
I still need to see the rest of Memento. Bleedin' brother had to delete it off of the programming guide when I recorded it to watch.
That's definitely not a good movie for that to happe :p
At least you didn't start up halfway

Pau

everyone needs to watch europa report then watch interstellar and reflect on the differences in approach
They feel like they're trying to do two different things.

Nolan just dropped the ball with the characterization, dialogue, and emotional bits.

Timu

It's definitely very artsy compared to his other films. Still pretentious but not in a mainstream way. Could definitely see it being a hard watch for a lot of people.

For reference I also like usual suspects and eternal sunshine for the spotless mind that also sorta skip around in narrative. They definitely have more blockbuster polish though

That's definitely not a good movie for that to happe :p
At least you didn't start up halfway

I have a lot of movies to watch then!!!

FloatOn

The scientists played a role in the movie's conclusion? I didn't love the ending.

Also nasa astronauts explaining to eachother simple concepts they should already understand for the sake of the audience is so fucking annoying

Also the movie had about 10,000 things in it that made no plausible sense but it's been 2 years and I can't go point by point - suffice it to say it was a mess where core motivations of characters simply weren't believable. characters behaved in ways that were so implausible to me that I didn't buy them as human beings, and that alone severed my connection to the movie

You are missing the point.

The reason why Interstellar and movies like 2001: Space Odyssey are so special is because they are poetic movies that touch on greater themes than just the science that is in them.

Europa Report was a found footage monster movie with no greater message.

Interstellar was a meditation on the nature of life and love with some science in the background.

You are missing the point.

The reason why Interstellar and movies like 2001: Space Odyssey are so special is because they are poetic movies that touch on greater themes than just the science that is in them.

Europa Report was a found footage monster movie with no greater message.

Interstellar was a meditation on the nature of life and love with some science in the background.

I agree with this. I liked Interstellar

Jobbs

Banned
They feel like they're trying to do two different things.

Nolan just dropped the ball with the characterization, dialogue, and emotional bits.

I just like to be treated, as a member of the audience, with a baseline level of respect. Interstellar showed me no respect. It has nice visuals and sounds and acting, but characters behave nonsensically and implausibly to push along a half baked plot. Characters aren't relatable and I don't even buy the main guy as a human being because there's nothing about him I can understand.

All this would be fine but it asks to be taken very seriously. When a movie begs you to take it utterly seriously but can't bring the goods it makes it very hard for me to maintain immersion.

Europa Report respected me so I hold it as a high example of a good space mission movie.

I have some concerns about the final act of Sunshine but on the whole I liked that movie very much as well.

Timu

I don't hate Interstellar, I enjoyed it, but I was definitely disappointed in various aspects of it.

but characters behave nonsensically and implausibly to push along a half baked plot.
This as well, this is notable in the 2nd half.

Pau

I just like to be treated, as a member of the audience, with a baseline level of respect. Interstellar showed me no respect. It has nice visuals and sounds and acting, but characters behave nonsensically and implausibly to push along a half baked plot. Characters aren't relatable and I don't even buy the main guy as a human being because there's nothing about him I can understand.

All this would be fine but it asks to be taken very seriously. When a movie begs you to take it utterly seriously but can't bring the goods it makes it very hard for me to maintain immersion.

Europa Report respected me so I hold it as a high example of a good space mission movie.

I have some concerns about the final act of Sunshine but on the whole I liked that movie very much as well.
Right I think the talking down could have been fixed with different dialogue. Characterization is not one of Nolan's strong points so I dunno about that.

Misha

Banned
My top 10 films:
500 days of summer
UP
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Mad Max Fury Road
Princess Bride
Groundhog Day
Inside Out
Memento
Scott pilgrim vs the world
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
(Last one isn't normally one I say but I can't remember what I do normally mention so it will do)
Hm catch me if you can, Truman show, finding nemo

FloatOn

Once again you are letting your lack of suspension of disbelief ruin things for you Jobbs.

Believability should never be such a thing that ruins your enjoyment of a fictional thing.

It would be different if someone took insane liberties with a biopic or a documentary but this isn't that.

It's fine that you don't like it but I seriously feel bad that you can't suspend disbelief enough to enjoy so many things.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't hate Interstellar, I enjoyed it, but I was definitely disappointed in various aspects of it.

This as well, this is notable in the 2nd half.

Right I think the talking down could have been fixed with different dialogue. Characterization is not one of Nolan's strong points so I dunno about that.

The whole plot is also hung around something I didn't buy. I didn't buy this guy rushing off to space at the drop of a hat to never see his kids again. His little girl is sobbing hysterically and he leaves things that way. He regrets it later, sure, but this original action isn't plausible.

A loving parent would be incapable of doing this. They'd let the world burn first. In a better constructed plot, he'd be physically dragged away by crazy Nasa people who force him to do this for humanity.

We must conclude that he's either a terrible person or an implausibly written character. Either way I don't relate to him.

..And that's just the beginning of the movie. It's rife with issues galore throughout.

Timu

My top 10 films:
500 days of summer
UP
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
Mad Max Fury Road
Princess Bride
Groundhog Day
Inside Out
Memento
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Finding Nemo
(Last two aren't normally the ones I say but I can't remember what I do normally mention so they will do)
Yes, Finding Nemo is epic, I want to see Finding Dory as well. Yes, Mad Max Fury Road is the best Mad Max movie.

I like Inside Out but I prefer a few other Pixar movies to it.

Risgroo

My top 10 films:

Hot Fuzz
A New Hope
Hot Fuzz
The Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Hot Fuzz
Hot Fuzz
The Fast and the Furious
Hot Fuzz
2 Fast 2 Furious
fSZWD.gif

Pau

Once again you are letting your lack of suspension of disbelief ruin things for you Jobbs.

Believability should never be such a thing that ruins your enjoyment of a fictional thing.

It would be different if someone took insane liberties with a biopic or a documentary but this isn't that.

It's fine that you don't like it but I seriously feel bad that you can't suspend disbelief enough to enjoy so many things.
Believably in human actions and characterization is a thing in fiction though. I enjoyed all the science fiction parts of Interstellar but it was the human drama that I wasn't sold on. Seems like Jobbs wasn't either. That's okay. I mean, there are people aren't sold on Batman being a dad in the comics and while I really don't get it, people are gonna enjoy different things.

SystemBug

Oh yes all these immigrant dads who leave their families behind in order to get money to send back home are all monsters.

thanks for letting me know my dad was a monster all along!!!!!

Because you like Nolan's Batman movies and hate superhero comics? Okay.
Im woke because I'll die making the world a better place for EVERYONE.

How many people in here will give up their on safety to do that? How many of you all protest and attended a BLM rally?

FloatOn

The whole plot is also hung around something I didn't buy. I didn't buy this guy rushing off to space at the drop of a hat to never see his kids again. His little girl is sobbing hysterically and he leaves things that way. He regrets it later, sure, but this original action isn't plausible.

A loving parent would be incapable of doing this. They'd let the world burn first. In a better constructed plot, he'd be physically dragged away by crazy Nasa people who force him to do this for humanity.

We must conclude that he's either a terrible person or an implausibly written character. Either way I don't relate to him.

..And that's just the beginning of the movie. It's rife with issues galore throughout.

Did you miss the part where he tried to make it right before he left? Did you miss him breaking down as he left?

Did you miss the part where he expressed disappointment with humanity for not aspiring to the stars or the nightmares about him being a failed pilot and wanting to redeem himself?

What about the emotions he expressed during the video messages that was sent to him? Or his time in the tesseract trying to communicate through time to his daughter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom