• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Just got done walking my dog/clearing my head and I ran into a Pokemon hunter in my neighborhood.

I'm glad people are walking but what does it say about our culture that we need fake digital creatures to motivate us?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Friday Night in San Francisco is must have for classical guitar
Al-DiMeola-edit.jpg

Jobbs

Banned

Puckishness.

btw there's definitely way more than 8

Just got done walking my dog/clearing my head and I ran into a Pokemon hunter in my neighborhood.

I'm glad people are walking but what does it say about our culture that we need fake digital creatures to motivate us?

it says life was boring before technology. Kids rolled tires around with sticks in old movies ostensibly because that's all there was to do. If they had a little screen that could show them anything and let them do almost anything that tire wouldn't be rolling. It would go unrolled. It would be long burned in some Neogaf OT topic.

FloatOn

I fully believe in the saying "boring people are bored".

It's fine that people are having a new way to entertain themselves and I like that there are health benefits to be gained as a side effect. But I think there is something sad about someone who NEEDS something like this to motivate them to experience nature and excercise.

FUME5

Glad to hear your brother should be OK Float.

About to drive for a few hours to do some country jobs and stay overnight at what I'm sure will be a classy motel.

I've left the dog with the parents neighbours since they are in Spain (say high to them Funky) for their first proper holiday in a long time. She's a sweetheart, but they're in their 70s so I hope she doesn't try to pull any shit when they take her for a walk.

Off to Disneyland Shanghai o/

ooh, have fun! That should be pretty neat. I haven't been to that one yet.

Fitness is a weird word. Like we think of muscular people with toned bodies and healthy cardiovascular systems as fit, yet as a society most of us are long past the point of so-called "fitness" being the most fit state for our personal environments.

As our environment changes, so should change what survives. That's only natural.

For me, being fit means making people laugh and wearing the right clothes and doing enough creative work/game playing to keep myself happy and energized. That's how I fit in and garner the support of systems around me. That's my survival pattern as applied to my environment. And it's beautiful :)

zeemumu

Let's see what you can do

bruce-willis-unbreakable-spencer-treat-clark.jpg

I always assumed that it was either a strong immune system from survive on nothing but orange juice for decades or that my body is too stubborn to die.

I was the Gym Leader of Mickey's Fun Wheel in California Adventure for a while. I'm so proud.

FUME5

Fitness is a weird word. Like we think of muscular people with toned bodies and healthy cardiovascular systems as fit, yet as a society most of us are long past the point of so-called "fitness" being the most fit state for our personal environments.

As our environment changes, so should change what survives. That's only natural.

For me, being fit means making people laugh and wearing the right clothes and doing enough creative work/game playing to keep myself happy and energized. That's how I fit in and garner the support of systems around me. That's my survival pattern as applied to my environment. And it's beautiful :)

Put the word "physical" in front and your cognitive dissonance disappears.

I'll tell you later how many locals pooped on the lawn or generally in public :p

"The most magical place in the world".

FloatOn

Thanks for the thought Fumes. It's been a rough day.

Cancelled coffee with that girl btw so that I can see my brother after work. She seemed okay about it but said that "I'll let you know when I can hang"

I'm probably getting ghosted.

zeemumu

I'll tell you later how many locals pooped on the lawn or generally in public :p

I think they've gotten on top of that a bit better since the soft opening incident. That new park looks amazing. I'd love to visit Tron world. Let me know if they have souvenir data discs.

Jobbs

Banned
Semantics!

I don't know what point you're making. Being physically fit carries benefits but it's not the primary means of surviving and thriving in the modern world.

I'd argue strongly that my nieces being so tech savvy from using devices and video games throughout their childhood will make them much more successful in life than if they forewent all of that in favor of extra physical fitness (incidentally, they are fit and healthy nonetheless).

Pau

I walk at least an hour every day commuting, usually more, but Pokemon Go has added about two to three hours to that. Walking isn't my preferred method of entertaining myself or getting exercise. I don't blame people for not going being motivated for long walks - especially in suburbia.

Jobbs

Banned
I walk at least an hour every day commuting, usually more, but Pokemon Go has added about two to three hours to that. Walking isn't my preferred method of entertaining myself or getting exercise. I don't blame people for not going being motivated for long walks - especially in suburbia.

3 hours? That's some serious Pokemanning. :)

I definitely see it as a good thing. I think the app is fascinating -- Even if I'm not quite sure why I'm collecting them.

Jobbs

Banned
My friend lives on a Pokestop somehow. Mine is like a couple streets away. Ain't fair.

That said, the whole idea remains intriguing and I like getting caught up in the zeitgeist.

Halcyon

I downloaded Pokemon and I don't think my phone can handle it currently. I'm gonna try it at work tomorrow where i can walk around more.

I want to see one.

FloatOn

Yes well it's not survival of the physically fittest is it? ;)

People being motivated by Pokemon is fine.

As a proponent of holistic health I agree that "fitness" should include mental health. And that to some degree escapism benefits both imagination and catharsis. But to ever completely rely on a thing outside yourself for anything is folly imo

this isn't "no fun allowed", by all means have your fun getting caught up in the zeitgeist but I would caution not losing yourself in it.

I downloaded Pokemon and I don't think my phone can handle it currently. I'm gonna try it at work tomorrow where i can walk around more.

I want to see one.

Is that with the new phone or not yet?

As a proponent of holistic health I agree that "fitness" should include mental health. And that to some degree escapism benefits both imagination and catharsis. But to ever completely rely on a thing outside yourself for anything is folly imo

this isn't "no fun allowed", by all means have your fun getting caught up in the zeitgeist but I would caution not losing yourself in it.

Yeah, I agree. I've always been a proponent of having a healthy balance in life. I'm just not going to assume to know about someone's situation. :)

zeemumu

I do have some issue with the gym battling system because there's a bug where the opponent will remain at 1HP despite being KO'd. Nothing like the feeling of booting a rival out of their own gym, though. You're not holding a gym with anything less than a 500CP Pokemon, and even that's pushing it.

It's basically a massive scavenger hunt using Pokemon that anyone can join, and the AR camera allows for some interesting pictures. No need to dump on it for being popular.

Jobbs

Banned

I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are you criticizing? Who is having an unhealthy obsession with Pokemon? I don't understand. It's a game people are having fun with and it's perfectly harmless

zeemumu

I don't even know what you're talking about. Who are you criticizing? Who is having an unhealthy obsession with Pokemon? I don't understand. It's a game people are having fun with and it's perfectly harmless

You could argue that it's beneficial in causing previously reclusive people to go outside and make friends. If you want to catch 'em all you need to communicate. I've had random strangers point me in the direction of rare Pokemon.

Jobbs

Banned
You could argue that it's beneficial in causing previously reclusive people to go outside and make friends. If you want to catch 'em all you need to communicate. I've had random strangers point me in the direction of rare Pokemon.

Oh it's absolutely beneficial as well as somewhat fascinating. I don't understand what Float's talking about. I'm trying to understand.

FloatOn

I've had several friends complain just today about how people were walking around the student union looking like zombies glued to their phone. Or at a bar not socializing and hunting pokemon instead. I see the potential for it to become unhealthy in the way world of warcraft became unhealthy for those that played it for days on end.

also

M7V6xGN.png

FloatOn

Students looking at their phone a lot? Okay, I didn't know it had come to that.

sarcasm gets you nowhere.

it's like, fuck it, one more reason to detach from real life can't hurt anything right?

and once again, I'm completely misunderstood. It's like you want to not get what I'm saying. So let me be perfectly clear, everything is fine in moderation but there are things out there that intentionally try to get you hooked. I think pokemon go is one of them and it would be extremely unfortunate if someone sacrificed real life experiences for catching fake digital creatures

zeemumu

I've had several friends complain just today about how people were walking around the student union looking like zombies glued to their phone. Or at a bar not socializing and hunting pokemon instead. I see the potential for it to become unhealthy in the way world of warcraft became unhealthy for those that played it for days on end.

also

Float, WoW was unhealthy because people spent an unusually large amount of time confined to their homes and/or internet cafes without moving or speaking to anyone because they had no self-control. Pokemon Go requires you to go outside.

Jobbs

Banned
sarcasm gets you nowhere.

it's like, fuck it, one more reason to detach from real life can't hurt anything right?

=] Just being puckish.

Because anecdotally students were using their phones more than usual at X place according to your friend, you see fit to warn against the dangers of the game? It's just a reaction I continue to not understand.

I think the game is great. It's really cool seeing the community aspect. I just don't see the downside that you do. People are going to be paying a lot of attention to their phones -- This is a reality I've come to accept. If phone usage spikes a bit when something like this comes out I don't think it's going to ruin any lives.

Ironically this phenomenon that draws people to their phones is also causing people to meet eachother who would otherwise never interact. That's genuinely interesting.

FloatOn

Float, WoW was unhealthy because people spent an unusually large amount of time confined to their homes and/or internet cafes without moving or speaking to anyone because they had no self-control. Pokemon Go requires you to go outside.

you are still glued to a screen correct?

idk, maybe my extremely shitty day is making me cynical :/

I tend to get in these moods when real life occasionally sucks

zeemumu

They can be but I'm hoping to get some Eevees.

As I've leveled up, Eevees have been getting replaced by Growlithes. I need both because I want to evolve a 2nd Eevee and I want my Growlithe to become an Arcanine.

haha

I still want Psyduck.

Found one in Frontierland today along with a few Krabby and a Squirtle on the pier in California Adventure :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom