• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
you're a narrowviewitarian

Not saying women don't have it worse but it's not like the 65% of women who are victims are street harassment are being harassed by 65% of all men. More like a really douchey 1% of men.

Jobbs

Banned
Not saying women don't have it worse but it's not like the 65% of women who are victims are street harassment are being harassed by 65% of all men. More like a really douchey 1% of men.

Women aren't just street harrassed, they face extra barriers at every level of society, and that isn't mitigated because your friend has a crazy ex any more than racism is mitigated because your friend might know a black guy who is a jerk.

But I'm moving on I have to take a shower, I'm vile

FloatOn

like I said, women can be crazy/psycho too but the extend to which women/men have to deal with abusive/manipulative/shitty behaviour is still different due to the way our society raises and shapes both sexes.

not.what.any.of.us.said.

don't take this the wrong way, you're cool but sometimes I feel like you're just trying to find something to be offended about.

I certainly agree that men have historically been more shitty to women than the opposite. But that doesn't mean women can't be shitty too, which I think was transhuman's point.

And to the point about me trying to be offended. That isn't the case at all. More than anything I enjoy playing devils advocate and giving people something to think about. Nothing is more boring than an echo chamber.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
We never said women were incapable of being shitty. Fucking hell, let it go.

giphy.gif

Jobbs

Banned
I certainly agree that men have historically been more shitty to women than the opposite. But that doesn't mean women can't be shitty too, which I think was transhuman's point.

Even saying this is stupid, though. It's needless obfuscation. You can find anecdotal evidence of anyone doing anything. It's irrelevant to the topic. Again, try bringing up "but black people can be jerks too" if police brutality against minorities is the topic. If you like playing devil's advocate, go do it, and be assumed a knitwit.

And to the point about me trying to be offended. That isn't the case at all. More than anything I enjoy playing devils advocate and giving people something to think about. Nothing is more boring than an echo chamber.

What's the point of playing devil's advocate about an issue that seriously affects and harms women on a very regular basis? It may spark debate for you but for others it's very real and very serious. Let it go.

Jobbs

Banned
So... I'm legit going to take a bath. I bought bath bombs. My journey towards being a woman is nearly complete.

No sandwich though :( I'm not advanced enough yet to pull off that maneuver

Granadier

So... I'm legit going to take a bath. I bought bath bombs. My journey towards being a woman is nearly complete.

No sandwich though :( I'm not advanced enough yet to pull off that maneuver

Good call. Save the sandwich for next time.

FloatOn

What's the point of playing devil's advocate about an issue that seriously affects and harms women on a very regular basis? It may spark debate for you but for others it's very real and very serious. Let it go.

I just think it was pretty unfair for everyone to pile on TH when he told a story about something that he actually had experience with.

Instead of calling names perhaps a better methodology would have been something along the lines of "sorry to hear about your friend but...."

I'm not disagreeing with any of you btw, I was really just attempting to be empathetic to TH point, which I don't think was intentionally sexist or misogynistic at all.

Jobbs

Banned
I just think it was pretty unfair for everyone to pile on TH when he told a story about something that he actually had experience with.

Instead of calling names perhaps a better methodology would have been something along the lines of "sorry to hear about your friend but...."

I'm not disagreeing with any of you btw, I was really just attempting to be empathetic to TH point, which I don't think was intentionally sexist or misogynistic at all.

There's no point there though. Do you see? When someone says women are discriminated against and treated poorly across the board and systemically, it doesn't mean we're denying that any woman has individually ever behaved badly. Bringing that up is pointless and can even seem hostile.

When we say the temperature of the planet is rising we're also not saying it's never cold anywhere. Saying it's cold in your town right now in response to a climate change discussion brings nothing to the table and such input would rightly be ignored or shouted down.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I swear I'm gone for like half an hour and now look at this mess.

Xiao Hu

Yesterday there was a topic where a guy was upset because a girl he was going on a date with had short hair when he preferred long hair so he didn't know what to do...

And today there's a thread about whether men or women are better looking and please avoid like the plague

I just hate men. I'm a man hater.

Don't hate me or my mother please.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hate men and women

zeemumu

Birthday present shopping is stressful. I'm not looking for something expensive but I'd like to get something meaningful. I'm not gonna regift something from Lootcrate. That's lazy. I can't just pop over to Disneyland and get something from the parks that I know she'd like. Odds are she already has it or has seen it before. I think that Linkin Park Gundam officially exhausted my ideas for music-related gifts. There are a few rare Pop Vinyl Figures that I know she'd like and doesn't have yet but they're all in the $100 value.

I mean, I guess I could trade this for one at the local collectible show.

latest

They were exclusive to a Disney Interactive panel and go for $150+ online. Damn it, I always hit a wall with presents when I've known someone for a while.

FloatOn

There's no point there though. Do you see? When someone says women are discriminated against and treated poorly across the board and systemically, it doesn't mean we're denying that any woman has individually ever behaved badly. Bringing that up is pointless and can even seem hostile.

When we say the temperature of the planet is rising we're also not saying it's never cold anywhere. Saying it's cold in your town right now in response to a climate change discussion brings nothing to the table and such input would rightly be ignored or shouted down.

I understand your point but I still believe there is a kinder and more effective way to have discussion than to call names. Whatever the issue.

If your hope is to educate someone on something, ignoring or getting angry at someone's view is the last thing you would want to do.

You bring up valid points and I think bringing in the racism or climate change comparisons at first would have been more effective than calling TH a narrowviewitarian.

I actually said about two times how women can also be psychos. directly after TH's story too. why any of you would even try to paint a picture of us denying this is beyond me. that's what I meant by trying to find stuff to be offended about.
that being said TH's point was rather useless. we know there a individiual cases of women being abusive but we also know that there's a whole different and bigger pattern going on here regarding men. social circumstance can't be denied.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Filing my nails is so fucking annoying. Also need to pick up black nail polish cause I see yellowing on one of my nails and its probably because of the seasonings that leave color residue. FML

Granadier

giphy.gif

---

Yesterday while I was out I walked past a guy who had his pet chinchilla with him. It was adorable.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I like ferrets better

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Am I truly insane enough to drop $84 on this as a birthday present?

No. I mean you're not insane. If you think it's a great present it's all good. Don't buy it _because_ it's expensive though, I'm sure she wouldn't want that.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Women aren't just street harrassed, they face extra barriers at every level of society, and that isn't mitigated because your friend has a crazy ex any more than racism is mitigated because your friend might know a black guy who is a jerk.

I'm not diminishing sexism. Sometimes people act like pricks and it's not always because of deeply ingrained views of male superiority (though it often is the case). Sometimes people just have no empathy for the feelings of others. Sometimes people are just really, really stupid. Sometimes people are just selfish.

Those aren't traits unique to sexism and they're not unique to men. Chalking up every instance of debauchery between the sexes to sexism discounts all the other factors involved in why people do shitty things.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Blanket. It's funny and useful and cuddly. The fuck is she supposed to do with the map.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Form follows function. Blanket does things but the map just is a thing.

Jobbs

Banned
Speaking of birthdays, some of the stuff I got for my niece for her birthday this week

NefA7e0.png

There's a bit more too

Jobbs

Banned
aaaaaaawwww
so many presents! I wanna be your niece too!

The PVZ ones lower on the stack are actually hardcover comic books. I don't know what stories there are to tell in the PVZ universe, but apparently there are some.

And yes me too, I'd spoil you rotten!

They sound like stuffy rich assholes with ultimate 1st world problems.

I'd defy them tbh.

Well that's not far off, but they're normally some of the most nicest people I know. I think my best bet at this point is to play to their naïveté re how quickly dye fades if untreated. It really won't do me any good to bold-face antagonize them, nor is that something I'd find interesting. It's very important to me that the wedding goes well.

Same. Wear a brunette wig and then take it off once the wedding has started.

Haha maybe if I thought I could get away with it. All the bridesmaids are wearing flower coronets in the wedding.

FloatOn

Well that's not far off, but they're normally some of the most nicest people I know. I think my best bet at this point is to play to their naïveté re how quickly dye fades if untreated. It really won't do me any good to bold-face antagonize them, nor is that something I'd find interesting. It's very important to me that the wedding goes well.

For what it's worth, I'm really proud of you for thinking this. It sucks that they are not as open minded as you and your choice of expression but it speaks to your character that you are willing to take the high road.

Jobbs

Banned

That wasn't a nice thing of them to do. It kind of wreaks. It's the sort of thing that would damage my relationship with them unless and until it's addressed and resolved. I can understand family obligations and eating shit sandwiches, but I would be upset about it.

FWIW you can come to my wedding wearing whatever offensive stuff you want. The bride has a tattoo on her forehead, though, so it may be hard for you to outdo her.

That wasn't a nice thing of them to do. It kind of wreaks. It's the sort of thing that would damage my relationship with them unless and until it's addressed and resolved. I can understand family obligations and eating shit sandwiches, but I would be upset about it.

FWIW you can come to my wedding wearing whatever offensive stuff you want. The bride has a tattoo on her forehead, though, so it may be hard for you to outdo her.

this.
I think I'd be way too proud to change my appearance. maybe take out my piercing but that's also all I could do really. I couldn't cut out my tattoos or even let my dye fade that quickly. they need to know that it makes someone feel kinda shitty when they're expecting stuff like this. I can totally understand Lili taking the non-confrontational road but I don't necessarily think it's the best or right thing to do. it's not like a wedding entitles you to being a shithead ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom