• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

This is going to absurdly philosophical but how do you all find meaning? I am kind of at this point in my life where I feel like I am lacking and it's scaring the ever living fuck out of me.
I just do what my parents conditioned me to do which is to find meaning and self worth in academic pursuits.

If I actually sit down and think about it though it does feel like I'm just going through the motions. Keeping busy helps.

This is going to absurdly philosophical but how do you all find meaning? I am kind of at this point in my life where I feel like I am lacking and it's scaring the ever living fuck out of me.

I don't find meaning.

An7pSFA.png

Embrace dat nihilism. My plan is just to obtain financial security and carry on living my life doing what I enjoy.

zeemumu

My plan right now involves just trying to help myself stay above that infinite sadness line until I finish college. Everything past that point has been figured out. This is the hard part.

My plan right now involves just trying to help myself stay above that infinite sadness line until I finish college. Everything past that point has been figured out. This is the hard part.

It's just one of those things that varies person to person. I've been sad, but my natural state is more neutral. I've known so many people going through depression whose lives really aren't bad at all, it's just some aspect of their brain fucking them over.

Do you have any goals in your life you want to achieve?

I thought I did, but I lost faith in my abilities and feel like I need to do something else out of necessity that I particularly don't care for.

[EDIT] I fucking detest nihilism but it seems to be the only logical endgame in terms of beliefs.

zeemumu

It's just one of those things that varies person to person. I've been sad, but my natural state is more neutral. I've known so many people going through depression whose lives really aren't bad at all, it's just some aspect of their brain fucking them over.

Pretty much. My life isn't a trainwreck, but I tend to go into a weird hollow feeling when I'm not occupied with something engaging. I start finding it difficult to find things interesting and just acknowledge stuff's existence. I have hopes that I'll figure it out someday.

[EDIT] I fucking detest nihilism but it seems to be the only logical endgame in terms of beliefs.

The trick is not to take it to mean that therefore nothing matters. Instead, it means that we get to decide what matters, and make our own meaning in the world instead of finding the meaning and purpose prepackaged for easy consumption. It's equal parts scary and liberating.

zeemumu

As for the nihilism thing, I'm more of an anti-nihilist which basically just means that I know that most of the stuff you do doesn't matter on a huge scale but I think you should do your best to improve the lives of those around you in the meantime, even if it's just a little improvement. Seems kind of ironic considering the lack of interest thing.

dralla

This girl on Bumble wants to meet up on Sunday night but I said no because Sunday is finals day for Evo. #priorities

She's booked up the rest of the weekend tho

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I invented my own belief structure called 'nihilistic hypocrisy'. Life is pointless and suicide is just as pointless and you can't lie on the ground and not move because they will take you to a hospital and then a mental hospital and you will get bedsores so you've just got to keep putting mince in your mouth and go to work and eventually your telomeres will get short enough and you will die.

As for the nihilism thing, I'm more of an anti-nihilist which basically just means that I know that most of the stuff you do doesn't matter on a huge scale but I think you should do your best to improve the lives of those around you in the meantime, even if it's just a little improvement. Seems kind of ironic considering the lack of interest thing.

That's secular humanism. Or as Fumes said, "not-being-a-cunt-ism".

I think that's my problem is that I find it incredibly difficult to find meaning in things right now. I thought I had all my faculties in order but for the better part of the last 2 years, that waned considerably. Honestly, I just want to absolve the futility and cynicism that I have built up over the years and feel better again.

FUME5

My head hurts ;___;

Everything went well.

Good to hear!

Bae absolutely crushed me in bowling

My family is so ashamed

I haven't been bowling in ~25 years.

Alright who wants any of the following:

Party Hard

Lethal League

Viscera Cleanup Detail + DLC

Door Kickers
Skullgirls

Sir you Are Being Hunted

Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition

Reus

Get 'em while they're hot, I'll offer them to the PTMYL thread in a bit.

Good to hear!

Party Hard

Lethal League

Door Kickers

Skullgirls

Sir you Are Being Hunted

Reus

I'll take Party Hard and Viscera Cleanup Detail with the DLC

Jobbs

Banned
Hey Jobbs. 2 of my nurses were hotties.

And a doctor. Win.

I had so many hot nurses at my hospital stay but it was very emasculating because of them seeing my penis in a non sexual context and scolding me about not peeing into the container instead of the toilet + only one of them flirted with me even a little the rest treated me like a baby

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Good to hear!

Party Hard

Lethal League

Door Kickers

Skullgirls

Sir you Are Being Hunted

Reus

Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition if I can pick again that is.

dralla

Good to hear!

Party Hard

Lethal League

Door Kickers

Skullgirls

Sir you Are Being Hunted

Reus

Skullgirls plz.

This is going to absurdly philosophical but how do you all find meaning?

I enjoy my life. I take pleasure in small moments and feel no great desire to 'live life to the fullest'. I am content. I do not expect to find a bigger purpose; occasionally I donate my time to worthwhile projects.

I have the few I want from that list already, but TDM might like Door Kickers.

FUME5

I enjoy my life. I take pleasure in small moments and feel no great desire to 'live life to the fullest'. I am content. I do not expect to find a bigger purpose; occasionally I donate my time to worthwhile projects.

I have the few I want from that list already, but TDM might like Door Kickers.

Door Kickers is reserved for TDM if he wants it.

Anyone read Iain Banks's Culture novels? On my vacation this week I have re-read several to my great delight— Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Excession, Inversions, and have just started Look to Windward.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I find meaning in...

Meandering through life.

I'm not gonna kill myself so I just kind of accept that I exist. It bothers me sometimes. But there's nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes I do something well and it feels good. Sometimes I get drunk. Those two things are nice. I like pizza too

FUME5

Sure. Won't be able to redeem it until tonight though

Kick in the door waving the 44

All you heard was Tiddums don't hit me no more

Anyone read Iain Banks's Culture novels? On my vacation this week I have re-read several to my great delight— Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Excession, Inversions, and have just started Look to Windward.

I'm taking the longest time to get through Use of Weapons, since when I'd normally read I've been fucking around on here lately. Will stick on a Culture kick when I finish it, try and get one I haven't read this time.

EDIT

Sorry Vaz, Ubermatik got Another World. Party Hard is a fucking dope little game though.

I may try and embark on Wasp Factory next in lieu of the the three last, massive, Culture novels— I have read most of his other books but this one has always intimated me by how dark it is purported to be.

FUME5

It's aight bro

Reminds me of a C64 game I can't quite put my finger on, so I give it extra marks.

Who's getting the new Monhun tomorrow?

I may try and embark on Wasp Factory next in lieu of the the three last, massive, Culture novels— I have read most of his other books but this one has always intimated me by how dark it is purported to be.

Have you read The Crow Road? Could be good for a change of pace if you haven't.

zeemumu

Got some fresh air. Took a gym. Then several people from rivals teams came and tried to take it out from under me. Retook it and left my Vaporeon there since everyone in the area uses fire and Rock/Ground types. He should be fine for a while. This random guy came up and starting talking to me while I was sitting there, and I was a little cautious at first because he was red team and I thought he'd try to take the gym from me but he just seemed like he was trying to meet other trainers.

FUME5

Got some fresh air. Took a gym. Then several people from rivals teams came and tried to take it out from under me. Retook it and left my Vaporeon there since everyone in the area uses fire and Rock/Ground types. He should be fine for a while. This random guy came up and starting talking to me while I was sitting there, and I was a little cautious at first because he was red team and I thought he'd try to take the gym from me but he just seemed like he was trying to meet other trainers.

Should have fucked his shit up and deleted the app from his phone.

Team Mystic, bitch.

zeemumu

Should have fucked his shit up and deleted the app from his phone.

Team Mystic, bitch.

Me and a good majority of my friends are Mystic.

I try to keep my team rounded out as far as types go. This far inland, you don't see many water types aside from Vaporeon, and people love their Arcanine and Rhydons because they look formidable (and they are) but I can sweep a gym with just my Vaporeon because of it. The only threat is a Jolteon and they aren't that tough. No one trains any good grass types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom