• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
How do you draw braids?

Hair's funny and I don't know any magic trick to just instantly draw it well. Took me a while to figure out my approach to drawing hair and it still can be a bit of a battle.

I'm trying to think of I've drawn braids before. I feel like I have. But it's really just like anything else.. Establish the outline then fill in the details. Use a reference if needed.

We're just shadows and dust, Maximus

Misha

Banned
Hair's funny and I don't know any magic trick to just instantly draw it well. Took me a while to figure out my approach to drawing hair and it still can be a bit of a battle.

I'm trying to think of I've drawn braids before. I feel like I have. But it's really just like anything else.. Establish the outline then fill in the details. Use a reference if needed.

We're just shadows and dust, Maximus

I guess I was thinking more how much detail would you put into them. Can't say I entirely like the kind where you just use a bit of shading to show it but I think any more would make it too busy for what I'm doing

5 hours in already and not even 24 hours since I bought it.
wow30tjos.gif

Whew

What is this

wait, EDF on PC? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Did they make the armor sets universal instead of per class in 4.1 though? because having to it per class in the 4.0 version got old too fast.

I think that level shown is about level 25 or something? The early maps are basically rethreads of EDF3 with a twist, until you pass level 40-ish. Sadly the giant Godzilla things were only in 3.

What is this

The Most Awesome Thing Known To Man.

Though I got more of a kick out of EDF3's "story", but the exchange at the end of 4 is good too.
It does miss EDF3's "we call them... the Ravagers" intro though. So imagine my surprise when a professional movie, the Fifth Wave, started with: "we call them... the Others". That's when you know just how stupid something is going to be, when it's literally quoting a parody.

Jobbs

Banned
I like the first two, the third not so much :p

agreed

also good braids aren't easy to draw. was just trying to scribble something out. I could do it but it would take more than a minute

messy hair is so much more fun to draw than orderly hair.

Really? I love drawing hair. It's probably my favorite thing to draw on people. Braids, ponytails, locks, bangs, curls, tresses, pins, clips, barrettes, flowing, wavy, short, long, I love it all.

Jobbs

Banned
Really? I love drawing hair. It's probably my favorite thing to draw on people. Braids, ponytails, locks, bangs, curls, tresses, pins, clips, barrettes, flowing, wavy, short, long, I love it all.

Oh I love drawing hair. It's tremendously fun trying to figure out the right shapes, shadows, and highlights to make it look like you can reach out and touch it. It's just more fun if it's at least somewhat messy so I can have strands going in any which way as it suits me.

I think this applies to everything though. Organic masses like forests where anything can go in any direction and anything can be anywhere are always more fun to draw than, say, an office building.

This is my favorite post. There's also a kickass band called braid :3
<3

Oh I love drawing hair. It's tremendously fun trying to figure out the right shapes, shadows, and highlights to make it look like you can reach out and touch it. It's just more fun if it's at least somewhat messy so I can have strands going in any which way as it suits me.

I think this applies to everything though. Organic masses like forests where anything can go in any direction and anything can be anywhere are always more fun to draw than, say, an office building.
Well "a little messy" is realistic unless you have an hour to get your hair done. There are always going to be at least a few stray strands and some frizz.

Misha

Banned
Now I can't find my reference photo :(

I dislike drawing guys simply because guys have boring hair

FloatOn

I enjoy braid

(The band and game)

Also I hate trimming my beard because I always take too much off but too long a beard and you begin to look homeless so I'm going to look like shit for a couple days until this grows out some

Jobbs

Banned
My least favorite thing to draw are eyes above a certain size (in other words, closeups). They can be so incredibly hard to get right, as any tiny fluxuation can completely change the expression and meaning of the piece

Misha

Banned
My least favorite thing to draw are eyes above a certain size (in other words, closeups). They can be so incredibly hard to get right, as any tiny fluxuation can completely change the expression and meaning of the piece

closeup eyes are the best. you can put a ton of detail into them and still have them fit most artstyles

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I had to yell at some of my sailors and marines about racing the mower and gators.

It's thundering hard outside, this is my fave weather to fuck in but I got nobody;(

So...I'm gonna play some Shenmue 2

The smaller groups Tuesday included a Tamir Rice group, a man carrying an AR-15, a man with a sign saying "Jesus Vapes," a woman doing yoga with a pro-police and anti-bullying sign and another person asking folks to tell their best Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump joke. The West Ohio Minutemen are there, too, they call themselves a constitutional militia group.

#justOhiothings

Jobbs

Banned
closeup eyes are the best. you can put a ton of detail into them and still have them fit most artstyles

the way I'm comfortable representing eyes works best at a certain size, if I try to draw them much bigger and need much more detail I have to translate it somehow and it always results in a lot of time spent tinkering

FUME5

the way I'm comfortable representing eyes works best at a certain size, if I try to draw them much bigger and need much more detail I have to translate it somehow and it always results in a lot of time spent tinkering

When I used to draw I'd ALWAYS fuck up the second eye.

Misha

Banned

my midterm for my one drawing class was just a large drawing of my eye. I was the only one who passed that midterm on the first try and got a perfect grade. it was pretty good tbh

Jobbs

Banned
I just like scribbling and keeping everything loose. The minute I have to impose neat singular lines and absolute order I become endlessly frustrated

5yTZdka.png

Misha

Banned
I just like scribbling and keeping everything loose. The minute I have to impose neat singular lines and absolute order I become endlessly frustrated

I'm generally against lineart but I feel I need to in order to make the things I draw fit for games. I'd have issues with random parts being transparent otherwise

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What is this
Earth Defense Force 4.1

wait, EDF on PC? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Did they make the armor sets universal instead of per class in 4.1 though? because having to it per class in the 4.0 version got old too fast.

I think that level shown is about level 25 or something? The early maps are basically rethreads of EDF3 with a twist, until you pass level 40-ish. Sadly the giant Godzilla things were only in 3.

The armor still the same IIRC. The giant Godzilla monster is in.

Jobbs

Banned
I can't stop watching Stranger Things.it's so good! sorry jobbs I can't really write a report other than that rn. I'm too hooked 8D

yeah it's awesome. it's so beautiful to look at too :D

I'm generally against lineart but I feel I need to in order to make the things I draw fit for games. I'd have issues with random parts being transparent otherwise

this is one of the things I hated about doing comic art, but later in my "career" started doing it looser and finding some satisfaction there.

the game art can be challenging because it goes against my natural style, but over time I've come to an understanding with it

Misha

Banned
this is one of the things I hated about doing comic art, but later in my "career" started doing it looser and finding some satisfaction there.

the game art can be challenging because it goes against my natural style, but over time I've come to an understanding with it

at least with comics you can do whatever you want even if people might not like it. with games they need to be made to be solid so you can put it on top of backgrounds and junk. guess its the same for animation too unless you do it a not so great way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom