• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out about a Halloween thing being hosted at the Long Beach Convention Center next week. Halloween Horror Nights, Knotts Scary Farm, Six Flags Fright Night, and Disneyland are supposed to be having panels. I'm supposed to be somewhere else on the day of the Knotts panel but I can still make the Halloween Horror Nights one.

Aww, that looks like so much fun. I wish I had known about it sooner. Gonna be busy both days :(

Halloween is my favorite holiday by far.

I just sat through the 3 hour version of BvS. It is definitely an improvement, but still very, very flawed.

It was mostly a lateral move IMO. Superman's not nearly as interesting to me as batman, so I was fine with most of his content being cut.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
sIKlraz.png

99a1fe6f58.png

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Aww, that looks like so much fun. I wish I had known about it sooner. Gonna be busy both days :(

Halloween is my favorite holiday by far.

It was mostly a lateral move IMO. Superman's not nearly as interesting to me as batman, so I was fine with most of his content being cut.

Zack Snyder not understanding Superman AT ALL is still the movie's biggest flaw. Batman killing is a big one as well but I can almost let it slide.

Jobbs

Banned
Zack Snyder not understanding Superman AT ALL is still the movie's biggest flaw. Batman killing is a big one as well but I can almost let it slide.

My feeling is that Superman being in the movie at all was its biggest flaw. I just want a Batfleck film already.

Yeah. I think if you start with the premise of Batman fights Superman, you have to bend one or both of their characters. It's not an organic consequence of the characters as previously established. Same thing with Marvel Civil War. To that end, it's mostly a matter of if you enjoy the warped characters or think the end justifies the means or not.

My feeling is that Superman being in the movie at all was its biggest flaw. I just want a Batfleck film already.

I'm hype on that Batffleck Arkham Asylum rumor! :D

FUME5

Tons of bundles I got when I worked plus SteamGAF giveaways. As for sugar daddies I got maybe 10 games?

Suuuuuure.

Not that I care, but a friend just tweeted: Hey, @hottoysofficial! Thanks for not one, but TWO huge spoilers for #SuicideSquad! #PreviewNight #SDCC2016

With the spoiler image attached of course.

Jobbs

Banned
I was floored by how dumb Civil War is. I don't understand audiences or reviewers.

The movie is based around a play fight. They're fighting, but kinda not really. One of them gets hurt and they call time out. I hated it. I want real stakes, not a gimmick.

I find Batfleck so immensely entertaining I can't even rightly explain it. Ben Affleck and Zack Schneider for whatever his part was get nowhere near enough credit for nailing Batman so hard -- And doing it for the first time in live action.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah. I think if you start with the premise of Batman fights Superman, you have to bend one or both of their characters. It's not an organic consequence of the characters as previously established. Same thing with Marvel Civil War. To that end, it's mostly a matter of if you enjoy the warped characters or think the end justifies the means or not.

SO, that's not true. Batman's built in paranoia is the perfect reason why they have always clashed. The two have a history of clashing post-crisis.

Same with Civil War, it worked perfectly if you really know the characters. Captain America has always held true to his personal values, to the point where he has dropped the shield and ran around as the Nomad for awhile. Same with Tony, he has always been an opportunist, and him using this as a reason to put himself into power makes sense. I don;t know that the movies will do it, but in the books Tony used Civil War as a vault into politics and to become SecDef

I was floored by how dumb Civil War is. I don't understand audiences or reviewers.

The movie is based around a play fight. They're fighting, but kinda not really. One of them gets hurt and they call time out. I hated it. I want real stakes, not a gimmick.

So, these guys don't want to kill each other. They do want to stop each other, but there is a lot of kinship there. There are legitimately hurting to be on opposite sides. Civil War was fantastic and written very smartly IMO. The Russos are phenomenal

FUME5

That's my secret Jobbs, I think all superhero movies are stupid, just to varying degrees.

SO, that's not true. Batman's built in paranoia is the perfect reason why they have always clashed. The two have a history of clashing post-crisis.

Same with Civil War, it worked perfectly if you really know the characters. Captain America has always held true to his personal values, to the point where he has dropped the shield and ran around as the Nomad for awhile. Same with Tony, he has always been an opportunist, and him using this as a reason to put himself into power makes sense. I don;t know that the movies will do it, but in the books Tony used Civil War as a vault into politics and to become SecDef

Really? Because I've always gotten the impression that Cap is supposed to be a good guy, but in Civil War he's so obviously the selfish, confused, evil one. He goes from "I just don't like bullies" to "well there's this one bully I'm pretty cool with, and I'm okay with starting a team of bullies." It's far more confused and errant than BvS.

I didn't realize Batman was paranoid of Superman before. It doesn't really make sense unless Superman actually is less than perfect. In which case it's not mere paranoia.

Jobbs

Banned
There are legitimately hurting to be on opposite sides. Civil War was fantastic and written very smartly IMO. The Russos are phenomenal

I didn't buy any motivations in the movie or find anything about the plot interesting or believable. The movie also didn't really have a consistent tone. I didn't know what to think or feel except that I didn't like anyone (except for Spiderman kinda).

By far the best thing about the movie was CG young Tony Stark. After that it's all down hill.

That's my secret Jobbs, I think all superhero movies are stupid, just to varying degrees.

They are. There are only a very select few superhero movies that I actually like, and BvS is one of them, and part of the reason is precisely because it's the right kind of stupid.

The Marvel crap is mostly completely insufferable, occasionally soaring to the heights of "decently constructed movie" with Winter Soldier.

Vazra

Suuuuuure.

I could try looking through my history and count the stuff that was gifted to me but I aint really gonna waste my time looking through all the games to get which ones were gifted or not. Also Im cool with sugar daddies if they wanna buy me shit but sadly I dont go looking for em and the only time I had one (Pretty racist guy from Texas) he got me like 4 games before spewing a lot of racist, transphobic and homophobic shit. I need a kind hearted sugar daddy.
cm-vi1.gif

FUME5

I could try looking through my history and count the stuff that was gifted to me but I aint really gonna waste my time looking through all the games to get which ones were gifted or not. Also Im cool with sugar daddies if they wanna buy me shit but sadly I dont go looking for em and the only time I had one (Pretty racist guy from Texas) he got me like 4 games before spewing a lot of racist, transphobic and homophobic shit. I need a kind hearted sugar daddy.
cm-vi1.gif

I wasn't being serious bro...

cm-vi1.gif

How did you have a homophobic sugar daddy? Were you catfishing him?

tumblr_nv7v34eQvb1si3tc1o1_540.gif

Jobbs

Banned
I'm kind of a sugar daddy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think I meet some of the qualifications, scarily

going to watch London Has Fallen for some reason... I saw it on the list and remembered being entertained by the first one

Vazra

How did you have a homophobic sugar daddy? Were you catfishing him?

tumblr_nv7v34eQvb1si3tc1o1_540.gif

Selfhating gay actually. At the beginning he seemed nice but after a few days he started saying extremely dumb shit about gay people being sick and how people shouldn't be nice to transgender people because that is just hedonism and they should just embrace what god gave them. He was also religious which was fucking hilarious coming from a gay person if you ask me. As for the racist thing he was fetishizing me which annoyed me and more when he was saying that all latinos are pretty aggressive. Also went saying how black people are all liars and thugs and a lot of stereotypical racist bullshit. I called him out on all that and asked me if I was a "liberal fag". I then acted in the worst behavior telling him that no matter how much he prays for his gayness to go away it wont go away and how judging people and doing all that shit was going to get him to hell and not for being gay but being a shit person. I blocked his ass on growlr and steam and havent heard of him ever since. I tried telling him his wrongs but he would just doubled down on his dumb shit so I didnt take it really.

Vazra

What a fucking idiot.
Im surprised I didnt snapped earlier than I did to be honest cause I have pretty low tolerance for that shit but yeah it wasnt worth it to keep trying to see the good in him when he often showed more his fucked up views of the world.

Selfhating gay actually. At the beginning he seemed nice but after a few days he started saying extremely dumb shit about gay people being sick and how people shouldn't be nice to transgender people because that is just hedonism and they should just embrace what god gave them. He was also religious which was fucking hilarious coming from a gay person if you ask me. As for the racist thing he was fetishizing me which annoyed me and more when he was saying that all latinos are pretty aggressive. Also went saying how black people are all liars and thugs and a lot of stereotypical racist bullshit. I called him out on all that and asked me if I was a "liberal fag". I then acted in the worst behavior telling him that no matter how much he prays for his gayness to go away it wont go away and how judging people and doing all that shit was going to get him to hell and not for being gay but being a shit person. I blocked his ass on growlr and steam and havent heard of him ever since. I tried telling him his wrongs but he would just doubled down on his dumb shit so I didnt take it really.

Oh, wow. What a mess. Well, that's what you get when you ascribe to a sect of a religion that both changed its holy text and then immediately went on to say that the text is sacred and inerrant, except for the parts about being nice to people. All the not important things become important and it messes you up inside.

I'm kind of a sugar daddy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think I meet some of the qualifications, scarily

going to watch London Has Fallen for some reason... I saw it on the list and remembered being entertained by the first one

I believe it. Retail employ isn't exactly the luxurious life of an indie dev. :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It is 21 degrees Celsius outside at 5:30 in the morning.

I just drove an hour in a car with no AC

Cold beer without alcohol

My first car was without AC. It was metallic green first gen Renault Clio. Dash and steering wheel turned into blazing rubber during the summer.

jb1234

Oh, wow. What a mess. Well, that's what you get when you ascribe to a sect of a religion that both changed its holy text and then immediately went on to say that the text is sacred and inerrant, except for the parts about being nice to people. All the not important things become important and it messes you up inside.

I know a gay Catholic and he takes his religion very seriously (and has a partner). I'm not really sure how he makes it work, honestly.

Jobbs

Banned
Whenever I see the religion or politics dudes who are particularly anti-gay (like Mike Pence, incidentally) I automatically just assume they're gay.

Rollin in all that dev money.

I believe it. Retail employ isn't exactly the luxurious life of an indie dev. :)

I had something in the bank before all this, but yeah, I've had good fortunes. When the publisher was courting me (which went on for like 6 months before I signed) I was apparently just sort of in the right place at the right time, because they for whatever reason really wanted the game in their lineup. It came to "What would it take to get you to sign?" and I thought about it and said "advance me this much" (and gave a number that, to me, sounded really high) and they fairly promptly said yes.

FUME5

I had something in the bank before all this, but yeah, I've had good fortunes. When the publisher was courting me (which went on for like 6 months before I signed) I was apparently just sort of in the right place at the right time, because they for whatever reason really wanted the game in their lineup. It came to "What would it take to get you to sign?" and I thought about it and said "advance me this much" (and gave a number that, to me, sounded really high) and they fairly promptly said yes.

Haha, nice work / luck!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Milo?

I know a gay Catholic and he takes his religion very seriously (and has a partner). I'm not really sure how he makes it work, honestly.

I don't have a thorough understanding of the Catholic faith so I won't go up to bat for it, but I do know that understandings of sexuality and perversions have changed wildly over the last 2000 years in both the secular and religious communities. There are many valid interpretations of biblical texts that don't consider homosexual behavior to be sin, and there's also the idea that most of the biblical authors were biased and even wrong at points, even if you consider the bible to be mostly true or valuable. You can't just do a straight reading of the text with a modern-day lense because it wasn't written with modern day context, nor with a consistent and universal context.

For example, a lot of the books in the New Testament are named different things like Ephesians, Galatians, Colossians, et cetera. That's because these books weren't written to followers of The Way at large, they were written to specific churches in specific places (Ephesus, Galatia, Colossae respectively). And at one church there was a particular group of women who were causing trouble—not because they were women, just because they were trouble makers. So Paul wrote to that church and said don't let those women hold ruling positions. He wasn't saying women can't teach, he was saying those specific women were bad teachers. Yet it's such a common modern interpretation to believe that women can't hold high positions in ministry.

Another casualty of this twisting of instruction has led to the persecution of homosexual people and it makes me so sad. That's not the movement the historical Jesus was trying to start.

jb1234

I don't have a thorough understanding of the Catholic faith so I won't go up to bat for it, but I do know that understandings of sexuality and perversions have changed wildly over the last 2000 years in both the secular and religious communities. There are many valid interpretations of biblical texts that don't consider homosexual behavior to be sin, and there's also the idea that most of the biblical authors were biased and even wrong at points, even if you consider the bible to be mostly true or valuable. You can't just do a straight reading of the text with a modern-day lense because it wasn't written with modern day context, nor with a consistent and universal context.

For example, a lot of the books in the New Testament are named different things like Ephesians, Galatians, Colossians, et cetera. That's because these books weren't written to followers of The Way at large, they were written to specific churches in specific places (Ephesus, Galatia, Colossae respectively). And at one church there was a particular group of women who were causing trouble—not because they were women, just because they were trouble makers. So Paul wrote to that church and said don't let those women hold ruling positions. He wasn't saying women can't teach, he was saying those specific women were bad teachers. Yet it's such a common modern interpretation to believe that women can't hold high positions in ministry.

Another casualty of this twisting of instruction has led to the persecution of homosexual people and it makes me so sad. That's not the movement the historical Jesus was trying to start.

I think there's definitely grounds for a pro-homosexual interpretation in the Bible. At the very least, we know Jesus didn't say a single word about it. It's just that you have to ignore what the officials at the church are saying and kinda forge your own path.

Jobbs

Banned
People have been twisting and cherry picking religious texts to their preferred meaning for ages. You can't function and not.

I grew up utterly immersed in religion and stories from the bible (we had our own cartoons about bible shit!) and as I got a bit older I always found it very odd whenever I met someone who didn't know much about it. I thought everyone was like me.

I think there's definitely grounds for a pro-homosexual interpretation in the Bible. At the very least, we know Jesus didn't say a single word about it. It's just that you have to ignore what the officials at the church are saying and kinda forge your own path.

It's a stretch. And while Jesus didn't specifically address the topic, He cited Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of Godly justice on multiple occasions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom