• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
*compares what Bob said about BvS to what Lili said*

Yeah, I can see why now.

I stopped paying attention to that crybaby years and years ago, so I can only speculate on what his BvS opinions were. I think it's healthy to tune out people who spew toxicity and hate. Denying them an audience deprives them of their power. :)

I haven't watched the show in a long time but I remember it getting to a point where it seemed like most episodes were just a vehicle for them to deliver their libertarian sounding point of view on something

Well if you haven't watched the show in ten years you really have no place criticizing its modern incarnation. The show has changed and improved significantly.

But then again so did Uncharted 4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

alright, I gotta run. This wedding needs its maid of honor :O

Jobbs

Banned
I stopped paying attention to that crybaby years and years ago, so I can only speculate on what his BvS opinions were. I think it's healthy to tune out people who spew toxicity and hate. Denying them an audience deprives them of their power. :)

Well if you haven't watched the show in ten years you really have no place criticizing its modern incarnation. The show has changed and improved significantly.

But then again so did Uncharted 4 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

alright, I gotta run. This wedding needs its maid of honor :O

I didn't say otherwise. I just stated my experience with it. It became too political and too saturated in political opinions that kinda felt to me like college freshman libertarian stuff

if it's changed that's cool

have fun =]

I didn't say otherwise. I just stated my experience with it. It became too political and too saturated in political opinions that kinda felt to me like college freshman libertarian stuff

if it's changed that's cool

have fun =]

like when exactly? of course there is political commentary but I never felt like it was blindly in favor of anything really. they just point out absurdity where it's necessary. normally it's varied and has a legit point + poop and fart jokes of course.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
After being let down by Man of Steel, he didn't really have that much high hopes towards BvS, though he was curious of its aesthetics, because from a design point of view, it seemed to resemble the somewhat goofy look of '90's comic visuals, which as he pointed out was something that hasn't really been emulated in the medium of film...then the movie came out and just tore it a new one.

Speaking of, the first Justice League trailer just came out..."desperate" would be the word to describe it.

zeemumu

Still don't like BvS that much because it tried to do too much in a single movie. It's multiple comic plots stacked on top of each other until it becomes a mess and characters start getting lost in it. It's like if Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier both happened in the same film as Age of Ultron, with Black Widow having the same level of presence that she did in Iron Man 2, and all of the other Avengers being relegated to cameos that Black Widow sees when she's looking through a file. You'd get a bad sequel and a meh crossover, but at least there was a good Captain America in there somewhere.

Jobbs

Banned
like when exactly? of course there is political commentary but I never felt like it was blindly in favor of anything really. they just point out absurdity where it's necessary. normally it's varied and has a legit point + poop and fart jokes of course.

I haven't really watched the show in almost a decade, so it's going to be hard for me to talk about it. Plus, as ya'll have said, it may have changed. I'd have to watch it again to see if my opinion is still valid.

One example I can remember of opinions that annoyed me were the show's repeated attempts to lambast global warming. Yeah, I get it, Al Gore is an easy target and liberals can be easy targets -- But climate change is a scientific fact and remains a forefront concern.

I don't think I've watched south park in like ten years. I got tired of their libertarian crap

There was a show about electric cars and the people driving them smelling their own farts. Oh, hilarious. Dumb idiots

Libertarianism is a nice idea to believe in until you see the assholes spewing backwards and myopic vitro to troll "libs" and other marginalized people who have done nothing but exist.

You see libertarianism as the high octane fuel that drives GG and the alt right assholes on the social media.

You will see many libertarianism spout about social darwinism. Many libertarianism either are not aware or absolutely ignore that there are many people who would suffer awfully through social darwinism. In real life, there is more on the line then "e-cred" amongst your peers. There are lower functioning people who will never achieve what you or me take for granted.
These are the people who should be helped not thrown into the streets, like what many internet libertarian belief. It is not just lower functioning that would suffer under social darwinism. Many disabled go through life just barely scrapping by and many of the times it's not their fault.

Libertarianism is the macabre mask of the alt right edgelords, the faulty promise to those who are sick of conservatives and the outrage culture of left, the imaginary idea that you can pick and choose from the political buffet, the shitty belief system that fits right in with the young adults who are alienated because they aren't the special snowflake they thought they once were.

The South Park school of satire is old, crusty and problematic now. They make fun of the people in pop culture, but not once do they recognize the systemic failures that enable the toxic jackasses in pop culture. That kind of offend everyone satire is the blindfire from cover of amateur hour satirist who lead cushy lives and is very bougie with no thought of how their shitty actions effect everyone around. It is old, tired and shitty. This kind of satire enables the pools of slop and slime that breeds assholes that support Trump.

"Both political parties are the same." is an excuse of the intellectually lazy at best and at worst the mindset of people who never vote. It is goddamned infuriating to see smart people bandy this out as though this absolve of their shitty beliefs and non participation in general/mid terms elections. The Democratic party (despite the actions of cowards like the blue dog democrats) has repeatedly in the last 10 years has attempted to drag America into 21st century despite the cowardly establishment and their underlings. No thanks to Republicans kow towing to the theocratic wing of their party.

South Park sucks no matter how you slice it.

Misha

Banned
Not a huge fan of how south park handled their episodes on trans people. They aren't straight up negative or anything but they come across more as the average supporter who's kinda ignorant but is still trying to educate people. Kinda cringey and probably gives off the wrong idea to a lot of people but I think they meant well

I didn't watch the parts where they made fun of the pc culture or w/e tho so couldn't say for sure how I feel about that

Libertarianism is a nice idea to believe in until you see the assholes spewing backwards and myopic vitro to troll "libs" and other marginalized people who have done nothing but exist.

You see libertarianism as the high octane fuel that drives GG and the alt right assholes on the social media.

You will see many libertarianism spout about social darwinism. Many libertarianism either are not aware or absolutely ignore that there are many people who would suffer awfully through social darwinism. In real life, there is more on the line then "e-cred" amongst your peers. There are lower functioning people who will never achieve what you or me take for granted.
These are the people who should be helped not thrown into the streets, like what many internet libertarian belief. It is not just lower functioning that would suffer under social darwinism. Many disabled go through life just barely scrapping by and many of the times it's not their fault.

Libertarianism is the macabre mask of the alt right edgelords, the faulty promise to those who are sick of conservatives and the outrage culture of left, the imaginary idea that you can pick and choose from the political buffet, the shitty belief system that fits right in with the young adults who are alienated because they aren't the special snowflake they thought they once were.

The South Park school of satire is old, crusty and problematic now. They make fun of the people in pop culture, but not once do they recognize the systemic failures that enable the toxic jackasses in pop culture. That kind of offend everyone satire is the blindfire from cover of amateur hour satirist who lead cushy lives and is very bougie with no thought of how their shitty actions effect everyone around. It is old, tired and shitty. This kind of satire enables the pools of slop and slime that breeds assholes that support Trump.

"Both political parties are the same." is an excuse of the intellectually lazy at best and at worst the mindset of people who never vote. It is goddamned infuriating to see smart people bandy this out as though this absolve of their shitty beliefs and non participation in general/mid terms elections. The Democratic party (despite the actions of cowards like the blue dog democrats) has repeatedly in the last 10 years has attempted to drag America into 21st century despite the cowardly establishment and their underlings. No thanks to Republicans kow towing to the theocratic wing of their party.

If I slice it as a often satiric comedy I think South Park can be pretty good.

And I don't think anyone watches the show because they agree with the messages, it is almost always pretty shallow when it comes to that.

Not a huge fan of how south park handled their episodes on trans people. They aren't straight up negative or anything but they come across more as the average supporter who's kinda ignorant but is still trying to educate people. Kinda cringey and probably gives off the wrong idea to a lot of people but I think they meant well

I didn't watch the parts where they made fun of the pc culture or w/e tho so couldn't say for sure how I feel about that

That's them with pretty much everything. I felt the same

so just because jobbs said he vaguely remembers some old episodes southpark=strictly libertarian agenda?

they just present all kind of things critically and that's a good thing imo. it's a clever show.

____
also I don't think they ever denied climate change, they just made fun of how people made it a puplic affair at the time. the show always picks up current topics

Jobbs

Banned
so just because jobbs said he vaguely remembers some old episodes southpark=strictly libertarian agenda?

they just present all kind of things critically and that's a good thing imo. it's a clever show.

____
also I don't think they ever denied climate change, they just made fun of how people made it a puplic affair at the time. the show always picks up current topics

They had an episode where Al Gore warned of "manbearpig" a threat he invented that was never seen

Anyway, I didn't say the show had a libertarian agenda, all I said was I remember their opinions getting annoying last time I watched it a decade ago. I could be wrong/misremembering or the show could have changed in that time.

Die Antwoord's new jam is bananas.

Speaking of those right wing people, I think they need their own slogan and I think i have it: If It's White, It's Alt-Right!™. I better get royalties for this shit.

They had an episode where Al Gore warned of "manbearpig" a threat he invented that was never seen

Anyway, I didn't say the show had a libertarian agenda, all I said was I remember their opinions getting annoying last time I watched it a decade ago. I could be wrong/misremembering or the show could have changed in that time.

I think that's more of a parody of Al Gore and how people who didn't believe in climate change reacted at the time. if anything I think you're reading too much into this

plus I actually agree with a lot of the messages they put out there. there's dumb shit too but that's mostly not to be taken seriously.

Jobbs

Banned
I think that's more of a parody of Al Gore and how people who didn't believe in climate change reacted at the time. if anything I think you're reading too much into this

plus I actually agree with a lot of the messages they put out there. there's dumb shit too but that's mostly not to be taken seriously.

Yeah, it's also possible that 24 year old me was dumb :D

Is the show on any streaming service? Like recent seasons?

That is what she is talking about, they are making fun of how much of an affair Al Gore made of it. I doubt they think climate change isn't real. But it often difficult to say what they are joking about or what there beliefs are. If they don't agree with people making a big deal of climate change either I disagree with them, but I'm not trying to figure out what their beliefs are.

That is what she is talking about, they are making fun of how much of an affair Al Gore made of it. I doubt they think climate change isn't real. But it often difficult to say what they are joking about or what there beliefs are. If they don't agree with people making a big deal of climate change either I disagree with them, but I'm not trying to figure out what their beliefs are.

but that's the clever thing!! it actually makes you think. so again, it's really hard to paint the show black or white in a political sense.

Jobbs

Banned
The show also had the ability to be viciously unfunny. Like -- They devoted an entire episode (or, I think a two parter, actually) to why Family Guy isn't funny.

Now -- I'm not a big Family Guy fan, I kinda think the show's tone is too mean for my liking, but they wrote whole episodes about Family Guy not being funny while not being funny. I think that may have been when I stopped watching all together.

But if it's improved since then then I'm definitely curious. I honestly forgot the show existed.

but that's the clever thing!! it actually makes you think. so again, it's really hard to paint the show black or white in a political sense.

Shit, now I see I used there instead of their.

Personally I don't pay that any thought. But I don't think it would be very clever either. If it's their beliefs I think they would want to communicate it as some sort of "lesson". Which they sometimes make obvious. But when you need to wonder whether it is just a joke or a lesson, well, they probably haven't succeeded very well.

And if they just mean it as a joke it doesn't seem very clever either.

The show also had the ability to be viciously unfunny. Like -- They devoted an entire episode (or, I think a two parter, actually) to why Family Guy isn't funny.

Now -- I'm not a big Family Guy fan, I kinda think the show's tone is too mean for my liking, but they wrote whole episodes about Family Guy not being funny while not being funny. I think that may have been when I stopped watching all together.

But if it's improved since then then I'm definitely curious. I honestly forgot the show existed.

It hasn't really changed in that regard. There are definitely changes to the show, but it is still mean most of the time and probably as unfunny if you thought that.

EDIT: And personally I preferred season 18 over 19.

Jobbs

Banned
It hasn't really changed in that regard. There are definitely changes to the show, but it is still mean most of the time and probably as unfunny if you thought that.

EDIT: And personally I preferred season 18 over 19.

I said Family Guy is too mean spirited for my liking. I actually think one of the redeeming qualities of South Park is that it sort of has an emotional core.

I said Family Guy is too mean spirited for my liking. I actually think one of the redeeming qualities of South Park is that it sort of has an emotional core.

Right sorry, I was reading it wrong. If anything I think they have done a bit of a better job of that in the last few seasons. Don't expect wonders though.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

Ehhh, I'd have to disagree with that one. Yeah, they showcased that they don't think Family Guy is funny, but the real message underneath is if it was possible to tell those kinds of jokes that were in question in a post-9/11 world. That's the South Park that I liked. It's just a shame that now they're just jogging in place these days, while they understand the changes going on around them, it's not a world that they wish to live in. And Series 19 just seems to be lashing out at the new cultural normal.

So how about that justice league and Wonder Woman trailer?

Both look so much better than BvS imo

Wonder Woman looks to have cool action. Although I think that other guy there has the personality of a paper bag. The setting also seems kind of cool.

Justice League had a kind of funny conversation. You would expect a whole lot more of hype with a freaking Justice League trailer though.

Still a bit hesitant on both, I don't have a whole lot of confidence anymore.

FloatOn

Wonder Woman looks to have cool action. Although I think that other guy there has the personality of a paper bag. The setting also seems kind of cool.

Justice League had a kind of funny conversation. You would expect a whole lot more of hype with a freaking Justice League trailer though.

Still a bit hesitant on both, I don't have a whole lot of confidence anymore.

By far the most intersting thing about BvS was the setup for justice league.

Now that all the brooding emo "ermahgerd it's superman fighting batman" is over we might actually be able to get a fun movie.

I'm not even a comic super fan but some degree of levity is needed in these flicks and I'm glad DC is course correcting now

Misha

Banned
So how about that justice league and Wonder Woman trailer?

Both look so much better than BvS imo

Considering wonder woman was the best part of bvs that's not surprising. They seem to be doing a pretty faithful origin story too (just hopefully they dont make a big deal about Zeus). Its about time we get a huge action movie where a woman is the main protagonist and is awesome the entire time.

zeemumu

She never was but some people have a hard time imagining that women can have motivations outside of romance.

That always felt a little weird. Did they get that assumption from the damsel in distress trope? Because most women protagonists who become heroes don't do it for romantic reasons.

I identified so much with this episode. it summed up all my feelings about family guy. #sorrynotsorry
I fucking love watching South Park and that means it's a good and clever show because I only like good stuff, better accept it now.
giphy.gif

also I just started watching Scream Queens :D

Jobbs

Banned
I identified so much with this episode. it summed up all my feelings about family guy. #sorrynotsorry
I fucking love watching South Park and that means it's a good and clever show because I only like good stuff, better accept it now.
giphy.gif

#teamamericandad

Scream Queens is great :D

Misha

Banned
You know I'm starting to like all the criticism for bvs. I don't think its issues were the end of the world but its looking like the criticism made them move more towards more stylized films when I was worried it would make them go for a more marvel approach.

Pumped for all three movies when I'm kinda tepid on marvel going forward.
Of course I'm biased though

zeemumu

I couldn't get into that show. I like Jamie Lee Curtis but for some reason I really don't like Emma Roberts. Maybe it's just dislike of her aunt combined with her playing an unlikable character in most shows.

You know I'm starting to like all the criticism for bvs. I don't think its issues were the end of the world but its looking like the criticism made them move more towards more stylized films when I was worried it would make them go for a more marvel approach.

Pumped for all three movies when I'm kinda tepid on marvel going forward.
Of course I'm biased though

It would've been fine if they had paced themselves.

FloatOn

Considering wonder woman was the best part of bvs that's not surprising. They seem to be doing a pretty faithful origin story too (just hopefully they dont make a big deal about Zeus). Its about time we get a huge action movie where a woman is the main protagonist and is awesome the entire time.

I liked batfleck too and I think he will be good in justice league. Cool to see him actually crack some jokes

But yeah Wonder Woman is 🔥

I'm starting to hate on this big superhero movie machine. I so don't see the appeal anymore. everything is the same more or less.
I might see Wonder Woman though. I just hope they don't make it too much about her relationship with that dude from the trailer because it kinda looked like it :(

I couldn't get into that show. I like Jamie Lee Curtis but for some reason I really don't like Emma Roberts. Maybe it's just dislike of her aunt combined with her playing an unlikable character in most shows.

for me it's more like it's weird seeing her in this type of role. feels like a weird casting choice.

Misha

Banned
I liked batfleck too and I think he will be good in justice league.

But yeah Wonder Woman is ��

Oh absolutely. Batfleck is best live action bat so far. Still nothing he did compared to the wonder woman action sequence.

Also i think having flash (and cyborg?) will help balance out the ultra serious other characters since that's really an issue they have. That's one huge reason for sidekicks too. Given me nightwing, oracle and tim drake robin in solo bat movie please

Also Jason momoa still looks amazing
I might see Wonder Woman though. I just hope they don't make it too much about her relationship with that dude from the trailer because it kinda looked like it :(

He's her vehicle to the world of man so unless they want to spend more time in Themyscira, he's going to play a decent part. They didn't show any actual love scenes though so that's good

What was the last thing you saw her in? Because for me it was Coven. I could imagine this being weird if the last thing you saw her in was something like Unfabulous.

I actually think that might have been it lol.
but she also has such an innocent face...idk, I'm not really buying the mean bitch here :D

zeemumu

Oh absolutely. Batfleck is best live action bat so far. Still nothing he did compared to the wonder woman action sequence.

Also i think having flash (and cyborg?) will help balance out the ultra serious other characters since that's really an issue they have. That's one huge reason for sidekicks too. Given me nightwing, oracle and tim drake robin in solo bat movie please

Also Jason momoa still looks amazing

I haven't seen much criticism for Wonder Woman aside from lack of screen time, and me complaining that the jet she was in was CLEARLY visible.

Misha

Banned
I haven't seen much criticism for Wonder Woman aside from lack of screen time, and me complaining that the jet she was in was CLEARLY visible.

They criticized the casting choice but beyond that its been mostly praise. But the criticism was like a mini Ghostbusters. Was pretty bad

zeemumu

I actually think that might have been it lol.
but she also has such an innocent face...idk, I'm not really buying the mean bitch here :D

If you jump straight from Coven to Scream Queens and the only thing you saw her do in between those is We're the Millers it starts becoming all you can see. To me she's pretty much typecast as bitch. I know Julia Roberts is known to be somewhat unlikable in person but I haven't heard much about Emma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom