• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord was in development for about 8 years

Portugeezer

mwlud32.jpeg

PeteBull

Yes, but the f2p games have different business models as well.
Exactly my point, cant compare helldivers2 to concord, even tho both are gaas, their business models should be different coz they offer different value.
I compare concord to other arena based team vs team shooters since they compete for same players, aka gotta offer something different/more or players wont chose it over other similar games.

Last edited:
Exactly my point, cant compare helldivers2 to concord, even tho both are gaas, their business models should be different coz they offer different value.
I compare concord to other arena based team vs team shooters since they compete for same players, aka gotta offer something different/more or players wont chose it over other similar games.
I think a lot of GaaS started to launch at 40$ these days. Even the rumored game from The Finals developers (or something).

I guess pure F2P is too risky today unless you are launching in the chinese market. So at least with 40$ they can recoup some costs and then some with MTX. Though even older games like Sea of Thieves are not F2P either.

Killjoy-NL

No, both have the same business model.

F2p games have different business model, because they have to rely exclusively on MTX, whereas HD2 and Concord do not due to the cost of entry.

And Playstation is primarily focused on Playstation consoles, where there is much less competition for a game like Concord.

The big issue with Concord, is the Woke bs they push.
If it weren't for that, the situation would be very different.

The only serious competitor is Overwatch.
Valorant is meh and I dont see it being that popular on PS5 either.
Apex Legends is basically a BR, completely different genre.
Marvel Rivals is 3rd person, which already makes it different from Concord, which is a FPS.

Last edited:
And Playstation is primarily focused on Playstation consoles, where there is much less competition for a game like Concord.
Almost every GaaS game on PS no? Marvel Rivals are coming, Overwatch 2 is there, Apex etc. Valorant is actually not bad too. Allegedly Concord plays like Destiny and we have Destiny....

Like look at top 10 played on PS

GVgiuatawAAEixI

It is pretty similar on Xbox and we can expand further there at Valorant is at 11th spot now, Apex is on top 10 etc.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Almost every GaaS game on PS no? Marvel Rivals are coming, Overwatch 2 is there, Apex etc. Valorant is actually not bad too. Allegedly Concord plays like Destiny and we have Destiny....

We can always use Xbox most played and on PS the chart will be basically similar.
I literally addressed this in the part you left out of the quote.

Last edited:

PeteBull

No, both have the same business model.

F2p games have different business model, because they have to rely exclusively on MTX, whereas HD2 and Concord do not due to the cost of entry.

The big issue with Concord, is the Woke bs they push.
If it weren't for that, the situation would be very different.

The only serious competitor is Overwatch.
Valorant is meh and I dont see it being that popular on PS5 either.
Apex Legends is basically a BR, completely different genre.
Marvel Rivals is 3rd person, which already makes it different from Concord, which is a FPS.
My point is- concord devs/publisher chosing same model as helldivers2 fucked up majorly, coz it doesnt have enough incentive for it to be succesfull, probably even f2p it wont be succesfull either but 40$ upfront is literally telling the game to die on arrival.
Woke shit is one thing, that basically offputs 90%+ of their customers (lets not lie to ourselfs here, its mostly teenage boys or young adult males who play that genre;p) but even w/o it, it has basically all things that increase the risk of bombing in one single game, its like devs took all the risky shit and put it into one basket,

made explosive/bomb, already hearing it ticking but pretend to not notice not to mention diffuse it :)

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

My point is- concord devs/publisher chosing same model as helldivers2 fucked up majorly, coz it doesnt have enough incentive for it to be succesfull, probably even f2p it wont be succesfull either but 40$ upfront is literally telling the game to die on arrival.
Woke shit is one thing, that basically offputs 90%+ of their customers (lets not lie to ourselfs here, its mostly teenage boys or young adult males who play that genre;p) but even w/o it, it has basically all things that increase the risk of bombing in one single game, its like devs took all the risky shit and put it into one basket,

made explosive/bomb, already hearing it ticking but pretend to not notice not to mention diffuse it :)

I dont know about that.

The Woke bs is the #1 issue, because most people who actually played the game changed their mind and didnt think it was bad at all.
The biggest problem is getting people to play, which starts at the Woke bs.

Helldivers 2 proved that having to pay for a Gaas title is no problem at all. You just have to deliver something people want to play and that's ultimately the reason Concord is in trouble.

Yes, but the point is that Concord will have to compete with other GaaS game and so far I don't see it hitting the same zeitgest that HD2 reached.
Sure, but that's a given.

That's what they need to sort out, if they ever manage to turn the negativity around.

Killjoy-NL

The problem with the negativity around Concord is that the characters themselves are just too obnoxious.
Yes and I fully agreed with that ever since the gameplay reveal.

That's exactly my point, the Woke bs is their #1 problem and if they can't (or won't) turn that around, then yes, this game is 100% a flop long-term.

At launch, it will do poorly for sure.

Last edited:

PeteBull

There's just no way this is real.
her official twitter account, ofc all her tweets are hidden but u can see her description/job, it even has "prof" (aka professor pronoun) in there, just click on it rofl ;D

That is what was making concord for 8 long fricken years, and making sure it is what it is today :p
Not even ur bottom dwelling programist who is just told to do his/hers damn job no questions asked, but person in power that decides about direction of the game, with such ppl at the head ofc game had to end up miserable- some1 had to promote her/agree with her train of thoughts, hell even encourage it ffs :messenger_confounded:
Another proof of total insanity and mental disorder, she calls herself prof in there

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I’ve been reading some of the discussion regarding the validity of the ‘8 years’ part of the statement being inaccurate. I just want to add to what adamsapple adamsapple has already said.

ProbablyMonsters is a company that guides and invests in new studios in which it is a majority owner, those studios operate as standalone businesses under their own respective management. ProbablyMonsters helps with business planning while also helping its studios flesh out initial creative vision for games and offers on going development. ProbablyMonsters has been operating in stealth from 2016 up until 2019 before it announced its existence publicly. After they help lay the foundation for a new studio which includes an IP, they raise funding to develop the projects, and then are tasked with the responsibility of finding a publisher for the game. ProbablyMonsters operates as an umbrella company and understands that the studios they create and mould aren’t destined to remain under its umbrella. Firewalk Studios was one of two studios that started out this way.

Harold Ryan (former Bungie CEO and president) left Bungie in 2016 and formed ProbablyMonsters that same year. Ryan Ellis (former Creative Director at Bungie) the Creative Director of Concord left Bungie in 2016. The dates line up and everything we know about Firewalk and ProbablyMonsters indicates that Concord started development to some capacity in 2016.

I dont know about that.

The Woke bs is the #1 issue, because most people who actually played the game changed their mind and didnt think it was bad at all.
The biggest problem is getting people to play, which starts at the Woke bs.

Helldivers 2 proved that having to pay for a Gaas title is no problem at all. You just have to deliver something people want to play and that's ultimately the reason Concord is in trouble.

Sure, but that's a given.

That's what they need to sort out, if they ever manage to turn the negativity around.
I played the game and I thought it was shit.

peish

960x0.png

concord-it-z.jpg

Honestly , I couldn't even bring myself to watch Concord introduction CGI trailer because it looks terrible from the first frame .

People who designed these have furry fetishes, yet somehow their fetishes are inclusive but they will outraged at the likes of stellar blades

Its no wonder more are sick the woke movement. People tried to be understanding and helpful to these minorities but they keep overstepping the boundaries, going on the offensive smearing and attempting to cancel other projects they feel offended about… enough is enough!

PeteBull

That's fine. Most people don't seem to share that sentiment, after playing the game.
But not everyone has to like the game, just like with other games.

The issue for Firewalk is getting people to even try the game.
Solution is simple, make it f2p and rehash whole hero lineup, 100% of them should be either sexy or cool best ofc both, none should be offputing/boring, but that would srsly enrage alphabet and transformers crowd so never gonna happen, those woke devs wouldnt wanna try in the first place obviously even if sony told them to make the character lineup more likeable.

Kokoloko85

I played the game and I thought it was shit.
Before you said you played it and thought it was ok, nothing special. Did you play it again?
How long did you play for?

I find it weird how people who hate the look of the game and froth at the mouth about it, but were willing to try it lol.
I wouldnt play a game I despise

Killjoy-NL

Solution is simple, make it f2p and rehash whole hero lineup, 100% of them should be either sexy or cool best ofc both, none should be offputing/boring, but that would srsly enrage alphabet and transformers crowd so never gonna happen, those woke devs wouldnt wanna try in the first place obviously even if sony told them to make the character lineup more likeable.
I fully agree, but I don't see f2p happening if they want to somewhat recoup investment.
Monetization in the game doesn't lend itself for that.
(Unless Sony writes off the game).

PeteBull

I fully agree, but I don't see f2p happening if they want to somewhat recoup investment.
Monetization in the game doesn't lend itself for that.
(Unless Sony writes off the game).
Lets be super generous and assume game sells 100k copies, thats 400k usd, peanuts vs 100m usd+ budget of the game. I bet the professor alone sucked off higher than 400k usd salary over those 8 years :p

Killjoy-NL

Lets be super generous and assume game sells 100k copies, thats 400k usd, peanuts vs 100m usd+ budget of the game. I bet the professor alone sucked off higher than 400k usd salary over those 8 years :p
Then it's definitely fucked. Lol

Last edited:
There are more people in this thread discussing this game than the game itself will have in playerbase in a few months. (hopefully)

tommib

The thread on Resetera is hilarious with glorious pearls like

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yes, we all feel personally attacked by identities that only exist on Twitter and Instagram. Take a step outside and look around. These identities are hyper fringe and exist as terminally online people that I just don’t see anywhere - or barely - in real life. And I live in the Netherlands.

Your representation is a fairytale and it doesn’t threaten anyone - it does make us cringe to death.

Before you said you played it and thought it was ok, nothing special. Did you play it again?
How long did you play for?

I find it weird how people who hate the look of the game and froth at the mouth about it, but were willing to try it lol.
I wouldnt play a game I despise
Why are you playing Concord then?

DruWepro

Banned
I don't think it will reach anywhere near those numbers.
Even when the game was free for anyone to try, in the open beta, it only managed to get a peak of 2,388 players.
Now, with a price tag of 40$, I doubt many people will take the plunge.
too bad, they're missing out on a really good game

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’ve been reading some of the discussion regarding the validity of the ‘8 years’ part of the statement being inaccurate. I just want to add to what adamsapple adamsapple has already said.

ProbablyMonsters is a company that guides and invests in new studios in which it is a majority owner, those studios operate as standalone businesses under their own respective management. ProbablyMonsters helps with business planning while also helping its studios flesh out initial creative vision for games and offers on going development. ProbablyMonsters has been operating in stealth from 2016 up until 2019 before it announced its existence publicly. After they help lay the foundation for a new studio which includes an IP, they raise funding to develop the projects, and then are tasked with the responsibility of finding a publisher for the game. ProbablyMonsters operates as an umbrella company and understands that the studios they create and mould aren’t destined to remain under its umbrella. Firewalk Studios was one of two studios that started out this way.

Harold Ryan (former Bungie CEO and president) left Bungie in 2016 and formed ProbablyMonsters that same year. Ryan Ellis (former Creative Director at Bungie) the Creative Director of Concord left Bungie in 2016. The dates line up and everything we know about Firewalk and ProbablyMonsters indicates that Concord started development to some capacity in 2016.

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

You have put it eloquently what I was attempting to say with dates and stuff.

Last edited:
8 years down the drain. I want to see it flop harder than anything has flopped before. When you even give a robot pronouns, you can fuck right off into the dumpster where you belong.

Point is that gaas allows games to change a lot over time.

And a bad start doesn't have to be the end, depending on how developers react.

I edited my previous post to address the competition.

Valorant won't be much competition on Playstation at least.
I didn't include Apex Legends as it's pretty much a BR, so basically a different genre.

Forgot about Marvel Rivals, so incl that you'd only have 2 games (MR and OW2) that offer real competition and that will make it very difficult for Concord to find it's place unless they make some drastic changes (primarily irt appeal).

You don't think VALORANT is going to be competition for Concord? How? They're both hero shooters, to my knowledge, and VALORANT already has a large dedicated fanbase. Meaning it has relevant cache it can build upon. Concord doesn't.

Same with Apex Legends; I mean even if it's a BR, I think there's enough crossover in demographics for that and a hero shooter to where most players may choose one or the other rather than play both. And again like VALORANT, it has cache, which means it has a strong friend network which will keep other players locked in to it as they want to stay where their friends are playing (and are comfortable playing skill-wise & community-wise).

Honestly, no matter how you slice it Concord has a rough road and tall order ahead of itself. I mean we can disregard VALORANT and Apex if you'd like, but even you admit there's still Overwatch 2 and Marvel Rivals. Those two alone are going to basically crowd Concord out because the former has the advantages of the other two games while Marvel Rivals has the advantage of the Marvel entertainment brand (which is huge). SIE aren't delaying the game to do one of the few things that'd give it a better shot (better character designs), so they're basically sending it out to die.

IMO, what Sony did is stock pumping. Promise the world and billions of gaas money instead of the “old” way of making a little less (guaranteed) money.

Times like this make me wish SIE were a privately-owned subsidiary :/

Killjoy-NL

You don't think VALORANT is going to be competition for Concord? How? They're both hero shooters, to my knowledge, and VALORANT already has a large dedicated fanbase. Meaning it has relevant cache it can build upon. Concord doesn't.
I meant that I don't see Valorant being that popular at all. It's kinda rubbish, imo.
Then again, both will be in the same boat.
Same with Apex Legends; I mean even if it's a BR, I think there's enough crossover in demographics for that and a hero shooter to where most players may choose one or the other rather than play both. And again like VALORANT, it has cache, which means it has a strong friend network which will keep other players locked in to it as they want to stay where their friends are playing (and are comfortable playing skill-wise & community-wise).
Maybe, but I think BR and Hero shooters are different enough to coexist.

Honestly, no matter how you slice it Concord has a rough road and tall order ahead of itself. I mean we can disregard VALORANT and Apex if you'd like, but even you admit there's still Overwatch 2 and Marvel Rivals. Those two alone are going to basically crowd Concord out because the former has the advantages of the other two games while Marvel Rivals has the advantage of the Marvel entertainment brand (which is huge). SIE aren't delaying the game to do one of the few things that'd give it a better shot (better character designs), so they're basically sending it out to die.
Not disagreeing with you there.
Why do people keep thinking that I'm saying the game will do fine starting from launch, if at all?

What I'm saying is that the hero shooter genre isnt nearly as crowded as people claim, certainly not on Playstation, and all that a new game requires is that it gets into players' game rotations.

I go back and forth between different gaas titles all the time, for periods at a time.
That's all gaas titles really need.
I'm certain that goes for most gamers, similar to backlogs for singleplayer fans.

Concord will definitely have a shit launch and I'm curious to see how Firewalk handles it's support post-launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom