• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord was in development for about 8 years

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It sucks that people are going to get fired when this game fails. But I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping, just a little, that this game does even worse than Suicide Squad.
It will have WAY lower player count than Suicide Squad. But I don’t think it can possibly lose as much money as Suicide Squad because it’s not as big of an investment.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You guys should stop arguing and go play concord

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

BigBeauford

It sucks that people are going to get fired when this game fails. But I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping, just a little, that this game does even worse than Suicide Squad.
It sucks that the technical folks are at risk. Frankly it's a really nice looking game, great animations, and what appears to be solid mechanics. Whomever decided on the characters, that's where the blame should lie.

StereoVsn

PR? Come on, Heisenberg, you're better than that. If you have read any of the official information I've presented, you'd see that those are Firewalk's studio head and ProbablyMonsters CEO making those very clear statements about the studio having been founded and the project started in 2018.

Now who has more credibility on the overall timeline of Concord's development? The top-level executives responsible for setting up the entire operation and getting the project off-the-ground? Or an artist from the trenches making a twitter post and who even acknowledges that he's only been involved for the past five years, that being from 2019 (one year after the founding of the studio) onwards?
The one thing you never do is believe top executive. Here is an exhibit for you out of video game industry.

phil-spencer.gif

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PR? Come on, Heisenberg, you're better than that. If you have read any of the official information I've presented, you'd see that those are Firewalk's studio head and ProbablyMonsters CEO making those very clear statements about the studio having been founded and the project started in 2018.

Now who has more credibility on the overall timeline of Concord's development? The top-level executives responsible for setting up the entire operation and getting the project off-the-ground? Or an artist from the trenches making a twitter post and who even acknowledges that he's only been involved for the past five years, that being from 2019 (one year after the founding of the studio) onwards?
My bad believing a dev who worked on the project vs corporate PR machine

Oh No What GIF by Tennis TV

Founded in 2018, Firewalk Studios is led by studio head Tony Hsu, previously GM and SVP of Destiny at Activision, game director Ryan Ellis, previously creative director at Bungie, and executive producer Elena Siegman, previously at Harmonix, Irrational Games and Bungie. The team includes a deep roster of highly talented developers who have helped deliver top-selling culturally impactful titles, including the Destiny franchise, where all the leads worked successfully together on both development and publishing, as well as Call of Duty, Apex Legends, Mass Effect and Halo. This collected expertise allows this team to focus on delivering a rich multiplayer game experience rooted in great core gameplay and inspired art.”
– ProbablyMonsters (April 22nd, 2021) / Official Website

“With ProbablyMonsters’ support, we were able to really focus on a game concept we’ve been excited about and we met Sony in 2018. And since that first meeting with them, they’ve been incredibly excited and huge supporters of not just the team, but also the project that we’ve been working on.”
– Tony Hsu, Firewalk Studios studio head (April 22nd, 2021) / IGN

Firewalk Studios was founded in 2018 with [Tony] Hsu as the studio head. The first office was in [Harold] Ryan’s garage.
When Sony signed the [publishing] deal, they wanted the Firewalk Studios team to operate separately from the others. And so Ryan obliged by building a 1,500 square-foot building, [which] helped create a secure space at the beginning for the team to operate privately.”

– VentureBeat (May 28th, 2021) / VentureBeat

Over five years ago, we jumped at the chance to set up a new studio and build a new IP from the ground up. Recalling our own favorite times with games, we founded Firewalk Studios around the idea of delivering memorable moments – those amazing, had-to-be-there times shared with other people.”
– Tony Hsu & Ryan Ellis, Firewalk Studios studio head & game director (April 20th, 2023) / PS Blog

Fucking read and don't reply back.

giphy.webp

Bombolone

Gold Member
moe-awkward.gif

I do sincerely hope those currently playing and future players enjoy the game.
I don't see how Sony would want to keep this going for long, financially speaking. If it ever goes f2p I may dip my toes in to see what the game is all about. Regardless, Concord is an interesting case study of the sorts for me. Someone should do an investigative piece on the making of 'Concord'. Would be interesting to see and understand how it got from idea & conception to where we are at the moment.
Eight years to make. It is so easy for a game to become stale and oversaturated before it even launches. That's a very difficult trap to avoid with these longer dev times.

Last edited:

peish

So is it really really good or really bad? Are they using their own game engine? I don’t understand how this works? How do their staff feed themselves?

Herman should be investigated for kickbacks. Sony should never pay this much to buy a developer that will beg and offer themselves to a big publisher like Sony

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel sick to my stomach knowing this turd has stained the immaculate PlayStation First Party Portfolio

I haven't felt this much emotional distress since the death of my parents. I'm going to sleep to cope

If it's any consolation, it's seemingly already been forgotten by most of the fanbase after Gamescom.

f4eKvyA.gif

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Seriously who the heck designed these characters , and worse still , who even greenlit them .

For a hero shooter to work , you need iconic and cool characters . Like Blizzard they don't make the best decisions all the time , but they always hit their mark in presentation . They create lovable characters which generates millions and millions of clicks , views , fanfics and drawings .

Just compare these

C3C1A17DC639DFCA6790974365FE69547C43B0D3

mei.gif

gALtSl.gif

B9B1B409B86DA523DA2F8D160E8FC23D47647D39

To these

960x0.png

concord-it-z.jpg

Honestly , I couldn't even bring myself to watch Concord introduction CGI trailer because it looks terrible from the first frame .

Last edited:

DruWepro

Banned
Uh huh.....

Look man, we're just not excited for your the game, and in fact the majority of folks think it looks less pleasant than fermented camel shit, but taste is subjective at the end of the day, and we have a right to our opinions just as you have a right to your hustle unique viewpoint.

the majority of folks think it looks less pleasant than fermented camel shit

The majority of folks people who haven't played the game think it looks less pleasant than fermented camel shit.

I corrected that for you :)

PeteBull

Why do they all have the same haircut?
Its to show how brave and independend(super silly from guys perspective, since we never brag of being independed rofl, its basis of human adult after all;p) they are, longhair is sign of weakness/feminity and ofc we cant have that :messenger_dizzy:

The thread on Resetera is hilarious with glorious pearls like

The secret true answer is that the majority of people driving the hatred against this game can intuit its self-evident high quality and for whatever reason feel personally threatened by it. That their identities are tied up into something that this game is perceived to be threating to somehow. Because why else would there be such visceral negativity unless people feel personally attacked?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gameplay is decent. Game was doomed when they put politics and tried to please their leftist employees when designing those horrible characters.

PeteBull

Gameplay is decent. Game was doomed when they put politics and tried to please their leftist employees when designing those horrible characters.
lets not forget 40$ pricetag for mtx infected gaas arena shooter, its like they delibaretely saying- plz dont play our game, we dont give a damn :p

StueyDuck

The thread on Resetera is hilarious with glorious pearls like

:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Everything with those people is always a threat, or being attacked, always a victim.

For people who are meant to be so liberal and progressive their brains can only operate on violence.

Sometimes a thing can be shit and people can all call out the shit thing for being shit 🤣. I don't think anyone here feels threatened by the fart in the wind that is concord

Literally no one will talk of this game in 3 months

Last edited:

PeteBull

Tbf Helldivers 2 has the same business model.
not an expert here but afaik helldivers2 is doing missions in coop vs mobs, not team 5vs5 like so many we have on the market already f2p?
Its like gt7 being gaas it is ofc but first thing we think of gaas is multiplayer shooters, not singleplayer(for the most part;p) racing genre ;D

Last edited:

Hudo

Seriously who the heck designed these characters , and worse still , who even greenlit them .

For a hero shooter to work , you need iconic and cool characters . Like Blizzard they don't make the best decisions all the time , but they always hit their mark in presentation . They create lovable characters which generates millions and millions of clicks , views , fanfics and drawings .

Just compare these

C3C1A17DC639DFCA6790974365FE69547C43B0D3

mei.gif

gALtSl.gif

B9B1B409B86DA523DA2F8D160E8FC23D47647D39

To these

960x0.png

concord-it-z.jpg

Honestly , I couldn't even bring myself to watch Concord introduction CGI trailer because it looks terrible from the first frame .
I agree. You can shit on Blizzard for many, many things (and rightfully so). But the character design in Overwatch was one of its strongest aspects by far. They were memorable, easily recognizable by their silhouette and color palette during gameplay and you could get the feel of what a character's general gameplay feel would be like just by looking at them.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

not an expert here but afaik helldivers2 is doing missions in coop vs mobs, not team 5vs5 like so many we have on the market already f2p?
Its like gt7 being gaas it is ofc but first thing we think of gaas is multiplayer shooters, not singleplayer(for the most part;p) racing genre ;D
Was talking more about the €40 pricetag and MTX.

Concord follows the same principle as HD2, ie paid cosmetics, but all content is free and in case of Concord free new Freerunners as well.

I don't think one being PvE and the other PvP has much relevance in that regard.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Was talking more about the €40 pricetag and MTX.

Concord follows the same principle as HD2, ie paid cosmetics, but all content is free and in case of Concord free new Freerunners as well.

I don't think one being PvE and the other PvP has much relevance in that regard.
I meant one was breath of fresh air, and concord forces u to fork up 40$ for stuff other similar games offer for free(just talking about gameplay similarities).

Top Bottom