• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I liked the original Gameboy Advance. Too bad it was ergonomically awful.
100860_2.PNG

I can't go back to hiding under my covers with a worm light to see the screen

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I put an ungodly amount of hours on mine. Thanks, Advance Wars.

I spent a lot of hours on the Castlevania Double pack of Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance and Riviera The Promised Lands. Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones probably on third spot.

Timu

I would be okay if the NX is something like those laptops with the detachable keyboard. The graphics are already not going to be doing more than PS4 or XB1 but Nintendo usually knows how to work within their limitations. (Third Party Support will suck ass and I expect poorly optimized titles like the Wii U did at launch from the 3rd Party Devs)
It's already confirmed by Digital Foundry to be weaker than PS4!!!=O

MutFox

Banned
And probably not stronger than X1 looking the little specs so far. Still for an hybrid should be interesting

Exactly, it's a hybrid.
and the Tegra is no slouch.
images

It's the smartest thing Nintendo could do, since they own the handheld market.
They'd get that demographic and the console demographic.

They're going to do well.
Yes handhelds are on decline due to mobile, but it's still doing very well.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Exactly, it's a hybrid.
images

It's the smartest thing Nintendo could do, since they own the handheld market.
They'd get that demographic and the console demographic.

They're going to do well.
Yes handhelds are on decline due to mobile, but it's still doing very well.

Considering the 3DS still did way better than Wii U I think Nintendo is still cool with Handheld stuff. It will be interesting to see the full development and how people work with those tools.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I missed this post.

I've always wanted to try soldering. I just think it's expensive to do :(

Right now I'm doing some electronics tinkering due to building my arcade cabinet and some other crazy stuff. It's not really *expensive*; they key is not to purchase crap.

You can start with a simple but high quality JBC soldering iron for €30 or so. The wire itself is as inexpensive as it comes. Then you can graduate towards something hobbyist grade like a Hakko FX-888D, which costs around €120 but offers more control for delicate work.

Just make sure not to purchase garbage like €40 Chinese soldering stations that may crap out on the spot or even zap you.

Exactly, it's a hybrid.
images

okay so let's clear something up because people always herald the Tegra line but it never delivers. This is like the OUYA and a half dozen other disasters all over again (speaking as someone who tried to develop on two of those disasters before giving up completely). I mean, I understand why you want to be hyped about it, but that doesn't mean you should

everything on that bullet point list is basically just fancy names for its instruction set. It doesn't tell you anything important about stuff like how it handles vertex deformation, its cache speed, nor polys and fill rate. For example, just because it knows how to do tessellation doesn't mean that it's going to do tessellation well. The PS4 and XB1 both know how to do tessellation but you rarely see this significantly implemented because it's so expensive to do, and the Tegra currently in dev kits is less than half as powerful as an XB1.

animation of characters is done with something called vertex deformation. Basically, using matrices and 3D math to move all the vertices around based on the positions of the bones in the animation. A lot of times this is done on the CPU instead of the GPU because the GPU isn't generalized enough. With a big beefy CPU this is no problem, but it brings mobile CPUs to their knees weeping. So either simple characters or very few animated characters.

texture fill rate is another big hurdle. Even if you can draw a billion polys per second, if your memory cache speed isn't fast enough then looking up texels for every point gets super expensive. This is often a flaw in cheap and mobile GPUs. What it means in practice is that you want to eliminate as much overdraw as you can, which is very hard to do without making simplistic and sparse worlds.

I really want to be wrong about this but there's nothing exciting me so far

MutFox

Banned
Considering the 3DS still did way better than Wii U I think Nintendo is still cool with Handheld stuff. It will be interesting to see the full development and how people work with those tools.

Yep, 3DS did awesome numbers.
As long as their pricing is good, they'll have very good sales.

Also want to see how it looks.
It's gotta have a nice aesthetic to have mass appeal.

MutFox

Banned
okay so let's clear something up because people always herald the Tegra line but it never delivers. This is like the OUYA and a half dozen other disasters all over again (speaking as someone who tried to develop on two of those disasters before giving up completely). I mean, I understand why you want to be hyped about it, but that doesn't mean you should

everything on that bullet point list is basically just fancy names for its instruction set. It doesn't tell you anything important about stuff like how it handles vertex deformation, its cache speed, nor polys and fill rate. For example, just because it knows how to do tessellation doesn't mean that it's going to do tessellation well. The PS4 and XB1 both know how to do tessellation but you rarely see this significantly implemented because it's so expensive to do, and the Tegra currently in dev kits is less than half as powerful as an XB1.

animation of characters is done with something called vertex deformation. Basically, using matrices and 3D math to move all the vertices around based on the positions of the bones in the animation. A lot of times this is done on the CPU instead of the GPU because the GPU isn't generalized enough. With a big beefy CPU this is no problem, but it brings mobile CPUs to their knees weeping. So either simple characters or very few animated characters.

texture fill rate is another big hurdle. Even if you can draw a billion polys per second, if your memory cache speed isn't fast enough then looking up texels for every point gets super expensive. This is often a flaw in cheap and mobile GPUs. What it means in practice is that you want to eliminate as much overdraw as you can, which is very hard to do without making simplistic and sparse worlds.

I really want to be wrong about this but there's nothing exciting me so far

It won't be an OUYA, since it'll have good software support. (1st Party)
Has that going for it, we'll know more in Sept anyways, all this is just rumours.

Though being a hybrid is something that has to happen.

Jobbs

Banned
I would be okay if the NX is something like those laptops with the detachable keyboard. The graphics are already not going to be doing more than PS4 or XB1 but Nintendo usually knows how to work within their limitations. (Third Party Support will suck ass and I expect poorly optimized titles like the Wii U did at launch from the 3rd Party Devs)

NX is gelatin based

I already told you

I would like to see you dye your hair red Lilith.=O

there's not even a small chance of that happening again haha

It won't be an OUYA, since it'll have good software support. (1st Party)
Has that going for it, we'll know more in Sept anyways, all this is just rumours.

Though being a hybrid is something that has to happen.

yes, it ought to have better first party support than the Wii U if this means they cease 3DS dev, but that's not certain and that still wouldn't be enough for most people.

if you're the kind of person who automatically wants everything Nintendo, then none of this matters. But that's not most people, at least not anymore.

why does it have to be a hybrid? The mobile audience isn't asking for the home console experience, otherwise Vita would have been a bigger success. Say what you will about the current dearth of Vita titles, but its original lineup was quite impressive.

plus the fact that games are coming on cartridges can't be cheap at all.

I'm going to keep repeating this: I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen enough to suggest otherwise.

Timu

I don't mean to be rude but I color my hair blue because I like it. I'm not seeking external validation. Thanks though haha
Oh yeah, that reminds me, thinking about blue hair makes me think of Coraline which I still need to see before the summer ends! I forgot about it, lol.

Misha

Banned
liliththepale said:
why does it have to be a hybrid?
I think the idea is that they're getting away from home console without getting away from it.
Seems like there would be too much to it for the average person to use it but we'll see

zeemumu

Oh yeah, that reminds me, thinking about blue hair makes me think of Coraline which I still need to see before the summer ends! I forgot about it, lol.

Blue hair just reminds me of that blooper from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World where Brie Larson couldn't stop staring Mary Elizabeth Winstead's hair and ends up laughing halfway through her line with

"Oh, I was just there. Played the Chaos Thea-ffffuckin' blue hair...."

Timu

I think the idea is that they're getting away from home console without getting away from it.
Seems like there would be too much to it for the average person to use it but we'll see
So they make it portable enough to let you go places with it yet allow you to use it at home like any other console for convenience. Makes sense.

Virtual Boy was both portable and home and failed at both, but this will do a lot better obviously, though it'll be interesting on how this is done.

Timu

Blue hair just reminds me of that blooper from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World where Brie Larson couldn't stop staring Mary Elizabeth Winstead's hair and ends up laughing halfway through her line with

Ha, ha, yes. Also, love that movie.=p

Misha

Banned

The cast in that movie was impressive

MutFox

Banned
why does it have to be a hybrid? The mobile audience isn't asking for the home console experience, otherwise Vita would have been a bigger success. Say what you will about the current dearth of Vita titles, but its original lineup was quite impressive.

Can be a home console experience on the handheld,
but it can also be a handheld experience on the home console.

Pokemon for the NX will probably sell even more now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't wait to totally ignore this and be vindicated when it's bad.
Tales from the Borderlands was their best game yet, so I have high hopes

this happens all the time, doesn't it

A couple times a week usually

Can be a home console experience on the handheld,
but it can also be a handheld experience on the home console.

Pokemon for the NX will probably sell even more now.
Neither of those seem like good things.

I'm probably super biased by my personal dismissal of mobile games and my despising working on Tegra hardware, but I'm also having a hard time thinking of a single person I know IRL who would want this.

Jobbs

Banned
I want it because it's a Nintendo player. It'll have the next smash, the next splatoon, the next mario kart, etc -- The only way they could dissuade me from getting it is if it had super gimmicky controls (like Wii, which completely alienated me).

And it doesn't

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I want it because it's a Nintendo player. It'll have the next smash, the next splatoon, the next mario kart, etc -- The only way they could dissuade me from getting it is if it had super gimmicky controls (like Wii, which completely alienated me).

And it doesn't
Yeah, those first two are likely gonna have ports from the WiiU version.

zeemumu

And it doesn't

I feel like that's the primary motivation for most people to buy Nintendo consoles. As long as there are games.

And it doesn't
I thought Sakurai didn't want to make another Smash? I don't like Splatoon nor Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom