• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Apparently I am perpetually angry. No fucking shit, HM2

image.php

Misha

Banned
Have to wait another week for my new set of bloodwork.

*sigh* I like being thorough and getting things done but so much waiting!!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Melancholia is my favourite by far, and one of my favourite films straight up. Dogville is pretty amazing too. Antichrist is if anything visually astounding.

Antichrist is really really good. Melancholia is alright but felt mediocre compared to the rest of his films, and Nymphomaniac is just boring.

HOW IS NYMPHOMANIAC BORING! IT HAS EVERY EMOTION
okay I'm out. I can't do movie discussions anymore because I'm always right and everyone else is wrong and it damages my glass spirit

Well now I don't know what to think

who do you trust more? who has he better taste in music? think hard.

marrec

Banned
HOW IS NYMPHOMANIAC BORING! IT HAS EVERY EMOTION
okay I'm out. I can't do movie discussions anymore because I'm always right and everyone else is wrong and it damages my glass spirit

I knew going in that it probably wasn't a movie I'd enjoy, probably because I'm dead inside, but it was very well filmed I guess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well now I don't know what to think

His films are visually unique and stimulation, and almost always thematically confronting and personal. They're very committed to an often uncomfortable or unusual direction, pacing, and storytelling that combine both traditional linearity with symbolism, sometimes aiming to emotionally resonate simply via sequences of visual and audio stimuli. Tonally his work covers a broad range of topics and styles, so it's very easy to love one movie and hate another. Lars succeeds, if anywhere, in at least making original, emotionally provoking films that'll stay with you one way or another.

Melancholia resonated with me in very specific and personal ways, whereas Dogville I loved more for its originality. Antichrist leans more towards Melancholia, but is bleak in its own peculiar way. Nymophmaniac is a hell of a slog but a pretty on point emotional rollercoaster with a fucking awesome ending and I appreciate it for that.

His films are visually unique and stimulation, and almost always thematically confronting and personal. They're very committed to an often uncomfortable or unusual direction, pacing, and storytelling that combine both traditional linearity with symbolism, sometimes aiming to emotionally resonate simply via sequences of visual and audio stimuli. Tonally his work covers a broad range of topics and styles, so it's very easy to love one movie and hate another. Lars succeeds, if anywhere, in at least making original, emotionally provoking films that'll stay with you one way or another.

Melancholia resonated with me in very specific and personal ways, whereas Dogville I loved more for its originality. Antichrist leans more towards Melancholia, but is bleak in its own peculiar way. Nymophmaniac is a hell of a slog but a pretty on point emotional rollercoaster with a fucking awesome ending and I appreciate it for that.

it's not a slog X( I've heard people say that about Melancholia..which I can understand since it's a very slow movie...but Nympho? it's funny, it's exciting, it's dramatic, it has great music, great visuals and a very human story. if anything I think it's the least slog-y film of his.

EatChildren

I didn't mean slog in a negative way. More that it's a 4+ (nearly 6 if you watch uncut) hour emotional rollercaoster that requires a significant time investment from the viewer to see the narrative arc go through its many beats and come to its conclusion. I agree with everything else.

Misha

Banned
I've avoided nymphomaniac because from the description I'm not sure if I would be able to understand and that makes me feel uncomfortable

marrec

Banned
I didn't mean slog in a negative way. More that it's a 4+ (nearly 6 if you watch uncut) hour emotional rollercaoster that requires a significant time investment from the viewer to see the narrative arc go through its many beats and come to its conclusion. I agree with everything else.

I couldn't keep my attention invested enough over the entire movie, which I realize is a failing of my own viewing rather than the movie itself, but others have said much the same of it.

I need to rewatch Dogville and Antichrist now though.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Here I come with a solution to all of your problems

tumblr_o9mh2cWSMt1rdes1jo1_500.gif

Sounds good. Sold

EatChildren

Only two days left of this fucking garbage before the weekend. Applied for a couple of new jobs tonight. Fingers crossed.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
There was a cute American chick putting out strong vibes towards me today but I didn't want to fuck her because she didn't seem very charismatic does that make me a bad person

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Eh, some girls'll do that. Ain't like boys aren't constantly playing games too.

At a certain age men and women stop playing games tho.
I don't think so. So many divorces are pretty late age.
People just pretend they're mature.

People just follow trying to be happy.

No one is really happy. There are people who are content. Nothing else

marrec

Banned
I don't think so. So many divorces are pretty late age.
People just pretend they're mature.

I mean, they get tired of games as they age cause games are dumb.

There's nothing the predisposes boys and girls to play games around dating and fucking besides social learning and pressure, at a certain point it gets tiresome.

It's always been tiresome for me.

Misha

Banned
I mean, they get tired of games as they age cause games are dumb.

There's nothing the predisposes boys and girls to play games around dating and fucking besides social learning and pressure, at a certain point it gets tiresome.

It's always been tiresome for me.
Eh I think that's just because of your perspective
Older people definitely don't stop with other games. In fact their seniority allows them to go further with it

A Fish Aficionado

Yeah, I'm pessimist. Not because of some angst, just life experience.

And it isn't just me. Being happy isn't scientifically reasonable.

marrec

Banned
Yeah, I'm pessimist. Not because of some angst, just life experience.

Your life experience is anecdotal though and filtered through the lens of whatever social pressures have shaped you into the human you are now.

Eh I think that's just because of your perspective
Older people definitely don't stop with other games. In fact their seniority allows them to go further with it

I'm sure, it seems to me, based on my limited experience, that these games become less common over time rather than more common.

A Fish Aficionado

Your life experience is anecdotal though and filtered through the lens of whatever social pressures have shaped you into the human you are now.
That's what I said. It isn't just me.

The happiness trap is real.

People are content. Not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom