• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiao Hu

Elder Scrolls was a mistake. It is nothing but trash.

Elder Scrolls games were never great tho.

That's it. I'm not having that threesome with people like you ever :mad:

what's up with gays hating Elder Scrolls?
I'm not really a fan either

Just some bi-shaming against Tamriel's best screenwriter and author: Crassius Curio, the man behind 'The lusty Argonian maid.

But yeah, Elder Scrolls has become a lackluster series...

Elder Scrolls games are largely mediocre but notable because, at least for a very long time, were offering an experience no one else was offering.

And while they're weak in many individual respects, they (at least Oblivion and Skyrim -- I forget if this was the case with Morrowind) had absolutely gorgeous music. Like this is the area where it's never mediocre. I only wish the games themselves could ever reach the soaring heights of the soundtracks.

Skyrim's OST is deadass gorgeous tbh.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Witcher 3 won especially in terms of interesting quest writing.
Witcher 3 works as a way to show how lazy ES series and Bethesda FO has been. You get interesting characters, a good story and the sidequests are treated mostly like mini stories. The world is populated appropiately and it doesnt feel copy paste like Bethesda games do with the dungeon designs that are boring as heck.

Jobbs

Banned
Skyrim's OST is deadass gorgeous tbh.

Two individual tracks that stand out were one of the overworld tracks in Oblivion (I don't know the name but it was so memorable) and Streets of Whiterun in Skyrim which is just absolutely gorgeous. I was actually tweeting about it the other day, by chance.

Timu

I'm glad there are people here bashing the Elder Scrolls series, I thought I was the only one here who has problems with those games!!!

Witcher 3 also won in having controls and combat so frustratingly bad (after just coming off of Bloodborne) I couldn't even hang with it. I plan to try again sometime just to see if the story ends up making it worth it.

I'm playing with mouse+keyboard and it took some time to get used to combat etc. but now it feels pretty good

Witcher 3 works as a way to show how lazy ES series and Bethesda FO has been. You get interesting characters, a good story and the sidequests are treated mostly like mini stories. The world is populated appropiately and it doesnt feel copy paste like Bethesda games do with the dungeon designs that are boring as heck.

Even what could be seen as a fetch quest doesn't feel that way because of all the backstory. Unlike in Bethesda games where the backstory for most quests boils down to "Go here and get X and bring it back to me for reasons" or "Go here and kill X because of reasons"

Jobbs

Banned
I'm playing with mouse+keyboard and it took some time to get used to combat etc. but now it feels pretty good

Yeah, like, it's not that it's hard -- It's just that it's.. Not fun combat. I've been spoiled by Bloodborne and Souls and stuff. :O

But I respect a lot of what they've done and I want to hook up with some elf women or whatever it is they do in that game, so I'll make time to try it sooner or later.

I'm glad there are people here bashing the Elder Scrolls series, I thought I was the only one here who has problems with those games!!!

I like how every one of your posts has exclamation points. it makes you always seem enthusiastic :D

Xiao Hu

Elder Scrolls games are largely mediocre but notable because, at least for a very long time, were offering an experience no one else was offering.

And while they're weak in many individual respects, they (at least Oblivion and Skyrim -- I forget if this was the case with Morrowind) had absolutely gorgeous music. Like this is the area where it's never mediocre. I only wish the games themselves could ever reach the soaring heights of the soundtracks.

Jeremy Soule despite being a horrible businessman and according to some of his FB posts a cringeworthy weirdo, is a very talented composer. Skyrim's OST is extremely well done and one of the very few points about Skyrim you can not critize. It is just as atmospheric as it is spiritual, in a way that only works with open world games that convey 'true' adventures.

Witcher 3 also won in having controls and combat so frustratingly bad (after just coming off of Bloodborne) I couldn't even hang with it. I plan to try again sometime just to see if the story ends up making it worth it.

It is, believe me. Funny enough I enjoined Witcher 3's combat.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh man when I get back home I will play Breakdown. Such an underrated game no one talks about 😥

Yeah, like, it's not that it's hard -- It's just that it's.. Not fun combat. I've been spoiled by Bloodborne and Souls and stuff. :O

But I respect a lot of what they've done and I want to hook up with some elf women or whatever it is they do in that game, so I'll make time to try it sooner or later.

I like how every one of your posts has exclamation points. it makes you always seem enthusiastic :D

it has fun combat it just takes a while. also with leveling. it's really fun once you reached the level breaking point

Jobbs

Banned

And this is the one that makes me nut

It's soooo evocative but nothing in the game is that evocative. It's just such a disconnect... But at times the music manages to elevate the game when the game isn't getting too in its own way

An example of a game with beautiful and highly memorable orchestral music where the game actually manages to live up to it is Dragon Quest 8 -- It's light hearted/silly at times but somehow the soundtrack works

Sexcake.jif

sex who in the what now?

FloatOn

13882188_10153957117268515_234013470764263389_n.jpg

Timu

I am a very, very enthusiastic person, don't forget that, know what I'm saying yo!

Also Souls combat dominates Elder Scrolls like it's nothing!!!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just got to Skellige in Witcher 3 and it's basically Skyrim but actually enjoyable

FloatOn

for a long time I wanted a Souls + Elder Scrolls mashup

but now that I've beat witcher 2 and got my toes wet in witcher 3 I'll say that if CDprojectRed can improve their combat just a little more and add some co-op moments and better bosses they will be king of all things video games.

also my lust for Cyberpunk is at critical mass... getting kind of tired of the fantasy setting tbh

Jobbs

Banned
Matt, I assume you haven't been to Skellige yet. King Bran's Final Voyage and Fields of Ard Skellige will make your panties wet.

aGXFKST.gif

I think one of my problems (aside from the combat which I kinda didn't like in the first hour or so) was the set character. I didn't really want to be this gravely voiced elf guy. Gravelly voiced, scars, tough guy stuff, all a cliche. I kinda don't find myself caring what happens to him.

MGWT2AWh.jpg

I'm irresponsible with my money

adopt me

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Witcher series is fucking phenomenal. Geralt is a wonderful, complex character. And 3 has the most real, vibrant, world in any video game.

But the thing is it is HIS story, the books, TV series, games, etc. So if you aren't interested in the story of Geralt then you aren't going to dig the game. I will say despite that, Witcher is very female positive. Triss, Yennefer, Ciri etc are all very strong complex characters who drive the world as much and more than Geralt. Where it excells is that while Geralt is very much a part of their world. He does not define them. And there are real consequences for him. For example when his memory is gone he fucks around on Yen, she doesn't forget or forgive that. She doesn't go back to him. She will still fool around, but it is clearly on her terms. She is not victimized

FloatOn

Witcher series is fucking phenomenal. Geralt is a wonderful, complex character. And 3 has the most real, vibrant, world in any video game.

But the thing is it is HIS story, the books, TV series, games, etc. So if you aren't interested in the story of Geralt then you aren't going to dig the game. I will say despite that, Witcher is very female positive. Triss, Yennefer, Ciri etc are all very strong complex characters who drive the world as much and more than Geralt. Where it excells is that while Geralt is very much a part of their world. He does not define them. And there are real consequences for him. For example when his memory is gone he fucks around on Yen, she doesn't forget or forgive that. She doesn't go back to him. She will still fool around, but it is clearly on her terms. She is not victimized

well said

And from what I gather from the little I've played of witcher 3 you can also play as a female character at times

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Street Fighter 2 is still the second best SF behind Third Strike, IMO. Ys III on SNES is a hard as balls game and I haven't ever gotten the gusto to beat it. My friend owns it, we tried it multiple times, never got far at all. Killer soundtrack tho

FloatOn

I have serious decision paralysis when it comes to games. I have a ridiculous steam library but deciding which game to sit down and play gives me intense anxiety.

and then the guilt comes in.... "you should be studying instead" is the voice I hear pretty much every time.

SolVanderlyn

I need Ys III!!!
Just get Felghana on Steam

I have serious decision paralysis when it comes to games. I have a ridiculous steam library but deciding which game to sit down and play gives me serious anxiety.

and then the guilt comes in.... "you should be studying instead" is the voice I hear pretty much every time.
Lay out your backlog bro. We'll help you choose

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Finally two days of freedom. Oh and I managed to trim the hedge, it took me almost 3 hours and now I am so tired....

Yep. And both DLCs for third part are fantastic

FloatOn

Lay out your backlog bro. We'll help you choose

Okay so of games that I'm extremely interested to play:

Dark Souls 3 (I have about 17 hours played on this)
Witcher 3
Transistor
Alien Isolation
Starbound
Stardew Valley
XCOM EU (need to restart this after spending about 20 hours getting wrecked)
Life is Strange
Undertale
Wolfenstein New Order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom