• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Mechanically, or just plot-wise?

How do you mean mechanically?

But, really, the two are kinda inexorably linked. The bond between player and character is cultivated by a shared struggle. If I'm working at something -- Anything -- Battling enemies, avoiding spike pits, or just pushing QTEs in a story game -- Sharing some kind of struggle with the protagonist is part of what forms a connection to the character in a way that is different from non-interactive media.

Incidentally I always loved how in Arkham Asylum Batman's costume would become increasingly messed up and shredded as the game went. That was so effective. It felt like you'd been through some shit. That's another thing I wanna do.. I want the character's appearance to wear down (whether it's a beat up costume, injuries, or just some kind of sickness taking hold) over the course of the game. That could be cool.

How do you mean mechanically?

But, really, the two are kinda inexorably linked. The bond between player and character is cultivated by a shared struggle. If I'm working at something -- Anything -- Battling enemies, avoiding spike pits, or just pushing QTEs in a story game -- Sharing some kind of struggle with the protagonist is part of what forms a connection to the character in a way that is different from non-interactive media.

Incidentally I always loved how in Arkham Asylum Batman's costume would become increasingly messed up and shredded as the game went. That was so effective. It felt like you'd been through some shit. That's another thing I wanna do.. I want the character's appearance to wear down (whether it's a beat up costume, injuries, or just some kind of sickness taking hold) over the course of the game.

um

so like in Symphony of the Night or Darksiders or really any game where you start out with all the mega skills, but then they get taken away from you, and you have to redeem them. That's one way of doing it mechanically.

Because like in Dishonored the whole thing is about redeeming your name, but nobody gives a shit about Dishonored's story. It's just fun (or not) to play through the puzzles.

the deteriorating character model seems like it would be really hard to pull off the way you're currently doing character art. And I wonder if anyone else doing it is just going to look like they're copying batman.

Jobbs

Banned
I recognized Spine 2d (or a similar system) as the future quite a while ago. I'd be using it in the next project. I have a Spine 2D professional license already.

I'm talking about more of a story redemption... Protagonist (or possibly another character) does or becomes something horrible, and by the end redeems themselves.

The game stories you remember (which are rare) tend to be the ones that for whatever reason have strong emotional resonance so it's always something I'm angling for.

BTW, did you know that the characters/enemies/etc in Ori ATBF aren't rendered in real time 3D? They're 2D sprites from prerendered 3D. It's still not clear to me why it was done that way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Eternal Darkness has the best deteriorating character model.

BTW, did you know that the characters/enemies/etc in Ori ATBF aren't rendered in real time 3D? They're 2D sprites from prerendered 3D. It's still not clear to me why it was done that way.

yeah Thomas mentioned it a while ago. Everything else in the game is 2D so it just makes things easier

kind of annoying though because it means the anims play at a different rate than the game. 30hz specifically

I recognized Spine 2d (or a similar system) as the future quite a while ago. I'd be using it in the next project. I have a Spine 2D professional license already.

I'm talking about more of a story redemption... Protagonist (or possibly another character) does or becomes something horrible, and by the end redeems themselves.

The game stories you remember (which are rare) tend to be the ones that for whatever reason have strong emotional resonance so it's always something I'm angling for.

okay so it's at the bottom of a lake

and there's a day and night cycle

and you have deterioratering c̓lͥo̽t͒h͎e̶s̮

and you do something awful that gets to possibly be redeemed eventually in the end

I know, make it about an awful oil spill or similar environmental disaster
haywardx-large.jpg

Maybe it's a ploy by your bf to pick up Emma Roberts' mannerisms.

ugh, no. If anything he thinks I'm doing it too much already.

okay so sad talk time. He said he thinks I need some space to figure things out. What does that even mean?

I really fucked up, didn't I?

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
By saying that he's basically saying he needs to do the same too. And he's probably partially right, or just not taking it well. And no matter the reasoning it's hardly your fuckup. Your not at fault for honesty in your feelings and thoughts and trying to discuss them.

im drunnnnnnnnk ama

I'm on the way back from a brewery. How good are breweries?

AcridMeat

Banned
Also, you go Lucian ;o

okay so sad talk time. He said he thinks I need some space to figure things out. What does that even mean?

Oh no! Last I think I saw you moved in together didn't you?

I don't have any context for this recent stuff. Did he specifically say you need space, or he needs space?

Could it be too much too fast? Again, not having much context I can't really comment.
im drunnnnnnnnk ama
How come I won't ever be as cute a Janna cosplayer as you? I try so hard.

By saying that he's basically saying he needs to do the same too. And he's probably partially right, or just not taking it well. And no matter the reasoning it's hardly your fuckup. Your not at fault for honesty in your feelings and thoughts and trying to discuss them.

Yeah but I was almost perfectly happy and things were easy. Why didn't I just let things be?

nonetheless I appreciate you saying that <3

Too much Emma Whatsoever or that lesbian thing?

It's more than that, best I can tell. But he was super vague and not helpful when I tried to talk him out of it or at least get an explanation.

Ah sorry to hear that. How are you processing this? Were things kind of leaning this way or is this a big shock?

my friends are awesome and took me out to a dance but I managed to fuck even that up and rolled my ankle. So now I'm processing by keeping ice on it and watching AHS and drinking. I didn't expect anything like this. I thought he was just going to be like huh, that's weird, and then move on with it. Maybe make some jokes. I don't know. I just want this to blow over soon so I can be back with him as soon as possible.

Oh no! Last I think I saw you moved in together didn't you?

I don't have any context for this recent stuff. Did he specifically say you need space, or he needs space?

Could it be too much too fast? Again, not having much context I can't really comment.

It was probably too fast. I think part of it is that he thought some of our recent decisions might be kind of rash, and then my brother getting married kind of spooked him, and then me confessing to being bicurious was another straw. There are a lot of straws I'm glossing over which only seem obvious in retrospect.

im drunnnnnnnnk ama

what is five time seven plus eighteen?
who was the sixteenth president of the United States of America?
how many times have the San Francisco 49'ers won the Superbowl game?
what is the current price of gold in Yen?
how many keys are there on a piano?
whose name is written on the capstone of the Washington Monument?
who is DB Cooper?
how did the Zodiac killer get away with it?
is a hotdog a sandwich?

AcridMeat

Banned
if u cant hide your raging boner then u lose
Who said I had a boner yet. ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)
It was probably too fast. I think part of it is that he thought some of our recent decisions might be kind of rash, and then my brother getting married kind of spooked him, and then me confessing to being bicurious was another straw. There are a lot of straws I'm glossing over which only seem obvious in retrospect.
Certainly right on this front, hindsight is 20/20 and all. Granted I'm from a different area and don't know his background but I wouldn't have expected being bicurious to be an issue. The wedding soon after moving in together probably did way more. At least as a guy it would for me.

Regardless we're around if you want to talk about it more, pm if necessary. :D

Oh lord it's late I'm going to bed so I can go get a haircut tomorrow as a feeble attempt to look more like Gosling (friend from game night said I should get a haircut like his).

yeah Thomas mentioned it a while ago. Everything else in the game is 2D so it just makes things easier

kind of annoying though because it means the anims play at a different rate than the game. 30hz specifically

okay so it's at the bottom of a lake

and there's a day and night cycle

and you have deterioratering c&#787;l&#869;o&#829;t&#850;h&#846;e&#822;s&#814;

and you do something awful that gets to possibly be redeemed eventually in the end

I know, make it about an awful oil spill or similar environmental disaster
haywardx-large.jpg

If you only told him you've been having dreams he probably wants you to figure out what they mean to you, because it is potentially very significant.

If it doesn't mean anything to you then it should matter little for your relationship. It is just that it may be difficult to convince someone of that.

Otherwise he might be wondering how much it affects you and what you are trying to say with it. Whether you want to experiment or that you might change your mind about your relationship.

I don't think you necessarily fucked up by telling him, even when not telling is easier/safer. The problem might have been that you might not have given a good explanation or how it affects you while it could possibly have a big effect on the relationship. I think he probably wanted a good answer on that when you told him.

I might be completely off, but that is how it looks to me from the bits and pieces, but good luck.

what is five time seven plus eighteen?
who was the sixteenth president of the United States of America?
how many times have the San Francisco 49'ers won the Superbowl game?
what is the current price of gold in Yen?
how many keys are there on a piano?
whose name is written on the capstone of the Washington Monument?
who is DB Cooper?
how did the Zodiac killer get away with it?
is a hotdog a sandwich?

abe lincoln

dont know dont care, fuck the 49ers (my dad is a fan tho)

who kows

??

???

he was cute

no

Jobbs

Banned
my friends are awesome and took me out to a dance but I managed to fuck even that up and rolled my ankle. So now I'm processing by keeping ice on it and watching AHS and drinking. I didn't expect anything like this. I thought he was just going to be like huh, that's weird, and then move on with it. Maybe make some jokes. I don't know. I just want this to blow over soon so I can be back with him as soon as possible.

Ah damn sorry Lili. :( Just going by what you've said I don't think you've done anything wrong, sometimes people just react to things in their own way. I hope it works out - sooner the better!

It's so easy to take things for granted and I wonder if I'm doing that at this exact moment

Anyway I'm going for a run. Hope I don't roll anything.

EatChildren

Yeah but I was almost perfectly happy and things were easy. Why didn't I just let things be?

If letting things be equates to repressed discussion of topics that are otherwise healthy and harmless then things aren't as perfectly happy and easy as they seemed to be.

It stinks, and his decision may not have been malicious, but impulsiveness with unwillingness to explain speaks volumes on him over you.

Chin up. If you can't be you then you're not with the right person.

sorry lili i just read through it

if you ever wanna talk about it you know where to reach me, i went through the whole questioning the sexuality thing too recently and i might be able to help. don't have much experience with the other stuff

up toyou though, no pressure

wait what happened lili

my boyfriend thinks I'm copying you so we're going on a break so I can sort out my feelings :(

If letting things be equates to repressed discussion of topics that are otherwise healthy and harmless then things aren't as perfectly happy and easy as they seemed to be.

It stinks, and his decision may not have been malicious, but impulsiveness with unwillingness to explain speaks volumes on him over you.

Chin up. If you can't be you then you're not with the right person.
yeah. Yeah. This definitely makes sense. But that doesn't make it easier right now

EatChildren

yeah. Yeah. This definitely makes sense. But that doesn't make it easier right now

Yeah, it wont. Dance/drink/buy expensive pretty things seems to be a tried and true formula if my buddies are anything to go by. You're halfway there.

Xiao Hu

If Justin is half the decent man Lili pictured him to be everything will be fine. If not, well, fuck him. Better to find out that side of your partner sooner than later tbh.

How old is he? How much relationship experience has he had?

"Needing time to figure things out" sounds like:
- he doesn't know how to discuss something with you
- he doesn't realize he should

But it could just be yet another untrue variation of "it's not you, it's me".

Is there a expiration date for this limbo status? If not you should make one so you can get on with life, because limbo sucks.

Help

I'm starving but don't want to get out of bed

What do

And Lili, that sucks, I hope things get sorted out. I would offer advice but fuck if I know anything about that sort of thing

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As much as I love to jokingly hate on this Justin I've never met, I sincerely hope the situation turns out for the best and everyone is happy in the end. I doubt you "fucked up" in any capacity, sounds like he is having his own issues right now, whatever those may be. That doesn't make the situation any better, but I wouldn't put any blame on yourself, at least.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
This beer is balls. Ugh it even smells like ass.

Good music though.

Running on about 4 hours sleep since yesterday. FML.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I had some shitty white wine yesterday. It tasted like literal garbage. I left half of my glass unfinished, even. It's hard to ruin even cheap wine, but somehow they did it. Like it had been sitting out in an opened bottle for weeks.

Nothing is worse than bad liquor.

EatChildren

Coopers is delicious. Lisa is cooked.

EatChildren

will i like scream queens

Jobbs

Banned

aghhhh nice catch haha

we used to practice in my friend's bedroom and it looked kinda like that. even had a 90s mac I'm pretty sure

Watching Now You See Me with the querlfrend.

It's not a very good film.

Shanarah Chronicles has some surprisingly nice FX but it ultimately very campy and has some solid unintentional comedy

Also Poppy Drayton is really something else :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom