• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I don't understand who looks at a dead crab on the table and thinks it'd be a good idea to eat it. How do you do that for the first time?

There's no way to serve it that doesn't look horrifying.

pbcrabs3.jpg

This looks like something out of an Aliens movie

And you're telling me you'd eat that?

I'd eat it but I'm not gonna boil a crab alive. That's horrible.

the only Discworld stories I know involve Death.

zeemumu

What they do to pigs every day is more tragic fyi

Enjoy your bacon

Eh. It's not like I'd die if I could never have bacon again. Very few people can make good bacon.

Hmm..."The One Disney Villain that No One Talks About"...it's Frollo.

I don't know what world this person lives in where Frollo isn't brought up when Disney villains are discussed. He's one of the worst ones.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I don't understand who looks at a dead crab on the table and thinks it'd be a good idea to eat it. How do you do that for the first time?

There's no way to serve it that doesn't look horrifying.

pbcrabs3.jpg

This looks like something out of an Aliens movie

And you're telling me you'd eat that?
I would.

Symphonia

Banned
Now that GoT is slowly concluding, what show/genre/franchise should HBO tackle next?
I want a mini-series set in the Harry Potter universe.

Not specifically characters related to or featured in the Harry Potter films or books, but there should definitely be some throwbacks to them. But, yeah, a comedy-drama set at Hogwarts with an all-new cast.

Misha

Banned
I can't remember what it was but something turned me off of dis world in high school. Possibly a protagonist with a goofy name. Just can't get past that sometimes

marrec

Banned
I can't remember what it was but something turned me off of dis world in high school. Possibly a protagonist with a goofy name. Just can't get past that sometimes

Probably, there's lots of that stuff in Discworld.

You should give it another try though, they books have a maturity that's satisfying to unearth.

Pau

Small Gods is probably my favorite Discworld book. Maybe... I dunno it's really hard to choose.

I didn't ever give them more than disinterested read of the first two books before my Ex introduced me to Small Gods and I was like :O
It is really hard. I think my top ones are Night Watch, Small Gods, and A Hat Full of Sky. But there are so many more that destroy me.

My favorite Discworld book is no doubt one of the Lancre coven ones. It's impossible to choose.

I still have like eight books left in the series to read.
Wyrd Sisters was the first I read so I'm partial to that one.

I like the premise of the books but I'm not that into dragons tbh. I would prefer a take on magic that you find in 'Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange'. The mini series was well done
I wish though the part with elven king were more...creative and creepier, more out of place than depicted
. Another interesting universe would be Bartimaeus.
I never finished Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange. But I tried reading it in middle school. Need to try again. I only read the first Bartimeaus book and didn't like it too much. :/

Death's the best character in Discworld. His granddaughter Susan's pretty good too.
Sam Vimes is my favorite, but I love Death and Susan too. And Tiffany.

Favorite Death book is The Hogfather because it put to words my personal philosophy.

Misha

Banned
Probably, there's lots of that stuff in Discworld.

You should give it another try though, they books have a maturity that's satisfying to unearth.
Goofy doesn't play well with me. Silly sure but goofy is too much

Also books ruin my life.

Jobbs

Banned
How do you guys read so much stuff?¿?

I'm always amazed by this because I have so much trouble getting through a book. I can't stay focused on it. I had so much trouble in school.

marrec

Banned
Goofy doesn't play well with me. Silly sure but goofy is too much

But the goofiness works well within the bounds set by the world he created. People with goofy names get called out for having goofy names, for example. Unless they're master assassin's with goofy names...

Also books ruin my life.

You said that before and I let it slip without comment but what?

What's your philosophy?

I dunno about Pau but this exchange between Susan and her father DEATH is good:

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

It's a bit angsty but a great ending to a book about belief.

zeemumu

My elementary school used Accelerated Reading and assigning point values to books to boost interest in reading. small picture books were only worth half a point so if you wanted to get those real points you had to start reading bigger books (War and Peace was worth over 100 points). That's basically how I ended up reading so many things. I kinda fell out of it later on when things got busy but I've started getting back into it.

Misha

Banned
But the goofiness works well within the bounds set by the world he created. People with goofy names get called out for having goofy names, for example. Unless they're master assassin's with goofy names...
on the other hand I learned to like Rick and Morty so thats probably not entirely accurate anyway

You said that before and I let it slip without comment but what?
I have trouble doing anything else while reading a book and then a few days after. They actually hurt my grades in high school

Pau

Time to also mention that Sir Terry laughed at my jokes and then called me attractive. :O

I'm always amazed by this because I have so much trouble getting through a book. I can't stay focused on it. I had so much trouble in school.
I've been a bookworm since 4th grade. It's definitely a learned habit. It helps if you're reading something you just need to devour. (And that you have nothing else to do like interact with people. :p)

But Kark has the same issue as you. He's "reading" using the audio books and that seems to help.

What's your philosophy?
Human beings need fantasy and stories to function and grow.

Basically this scene:
Sir Terry said:
“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

marrec

Banned
My elementary school used Accelerated Reading and assigning point values to books to boost interest in reading. small picture books were only worth half a point so if you wanted to get those real points you had to start reading bigger books (War and Peace was worth over 100 points). That's basically how I ended up reading so many things. I kinda fell out of it later on when things got busy but I've started getting back into it.

That is my exact story.

I ended up where I am now with a giant library of books because I have more money than free time to read and I like be surrounded by books.

Trying to actually get back into proper reading though.

I tend to just set aside at least an hour a day to read a few chapters.

I don't tend to lose interest in a book unless it's a bad book of course and even then I'll usually force myself through it. Last year I managed to get through 54. This year I've only about hit 17 so far.

Pau

That is my exact story.

I ended up where I am now with a giant library of books because I have more money than free time to read and I like be surrounded by books.

Do you have a Goodreads account? A few years ago I pretty much stopped reading and that combined with Mumei jump started the habit again.

I tend to just set aside at least an hour a day to read a few chapters.

I don't tend to lose interest in a book unless it's a bad book of course and even then I'll usually force myself through it. Last year I managed to get through 54. This year I've only about hit 17 so far.
Yeah, also helps to carry the book with you everywhere! (Kindle is good for this.) Reading in between stuff adds up!

FloatOn

wow I feel like shit!

I didn't get enough sleep so I may bail on the rest of my work day

Confession time: I don't read books outside of my academical stuff.

same. academics is all consuming

but I did start this self-help book recently "the arist's way" by Julia Cameron

zeemumu

I dunno about Pau but this exchange between Susan and her father DEATH is good:

Human beings need fantasy and stories to function and grow.

Basically this scene:

That's a pretty good exchange. I might be silly and nowhere near as good as that conversation, but this line from the first Pokemon movie always stuck with me

“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”

That is my exact story.

I'd like to make things easier with audio books but that seems like cheating, or negating the point. I'm currently still making my way through Dracula while attempting to keep a quota of one chapter per day. I should be done sometime in July.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, also helps to carry the book with you everywhere! (Kindle is good for this.) Reading in between stuff adds up!

I'm starting to wonder if I have a serious ADHD type problem. I've long suspected I have some form of issue, but the distractions are just impossible for me. It's like my mind wants to jump to something else at any moment, and when I jump to something else it again wants to jump to something else.

I feel like it's getting worse. :eek:

Misha

Banned
Audio books don't do anything for me. Just can't concentrate on pure audio. Ends up getting jumbled with the things going on in my head

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
GoT:
Goddamn this setup. Cersei vs Daenerys vs Jon is fucking epic. I don't even know anymore who to root for 'cause everyone is fucking awesome.

marrec

Banned
When I was a teenage I'd base all my clothing purchasing decisions on whether the pants and/or jacket had big enough pockets to carry around a big paperback book.

If I couldn't carry around a copy of Dragons of Summer Flame then the pants/jacket weren't for me.

Which means I ended up wearing some truly awful shit lol

Misha

Banned
When I was a teenage I'd base all my clothing purchasing decisions on whether the pants and/or jacket had big enough pockets to carry around a big paperback book.

If I couldn't carry around a copy of Dragons of Summer Flame then the pants/jacket weren't for me.

Which means I ended up wearing some truly awful shit lol
I can't stand the idea of bending or tearing a book. Unless it can be on a table or some other flat surface it's staying in my hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom