• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
I can't stand the idea of bending or tearing a book. Unless it can be on a table or some other flat surface it's staying in my hands

I destroyed so many books in my voracious need to read them.

Once you get your own apartment, you should try reading again. When was the list time a book seriously affected your ability to get stuff done?

Audio books don't do anything for me. Just can't concentrate on pure audio. Ends up getting jumbled with the things going on in my head

It works best for me when I'm driving or working on something mundane. My day job is pretty mundane, so it's the perfect time to catch up on podcasts and get into new books. :)

Pau

That's a pretty good exchange. I might be silly and nowhere near as good as that conversation, but this line from the first Pokemon movie always stuck with me
No, it's cute! :3

My problem with audio books is that they are so expensive.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a serious ADHD type problem. I've long suspected I have some form of issue, but the distractions are just impossible for me. It's like my mind wants to jump to something else at any moment, and when I jump to something else it again wants to jump to something else.

I feel like it's getting worse. :eek:
But you manage to focus on game design. D:

I was reading a lot via Audible but it was mostly history or non-fiction books.

I may get some books on my iPad and see how that suits me. I do love the feel and smell of a physical book though.
So that's a no to Goodreads? I get it Marrec, you don't want to be my friend on social media. :mad:

When I was a teenage I'd base all my clothing purchasing decisions on whether the pants and/or jacket had big enough pockets to carry around a big paperback book.
I did this with purses. My current purse (Batman themed of course) holds books pretty well.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
When I was a teenage I'd base all my clothing purchasing decisions on whether the pants and/or jacket had big enough pockets to carry around a big paperback book.

If I couldn't carry around a copy of Dragons of Summer Flame then the pants/jacket weren't for me.

Which means I ended up wearing some truly awful shit lol
Owned a few pairs of jncos eh?

zeemumu

I'm starting to wonder if I have a serious ADHD type problem. I've long suspected I have some form of issue, but the distractions are just impossible for me. It's like my mind wants to jump to something else at any moment, and when I jump to something else it again wants to jump to something else.

I feel like it's getting worse. :eek:

I've had that feeling. I'm kinda there now. Depression makes it hard to generate motivation. ADHD makes it hard to focus motivation.

If you tend to multitask a lot, try getting away from that and focus on a single task. And don't force yourself to work on the task for longer than you can handle. Give yourself a set amount of time that you think you can hold your attention on a single task and complete that task in intervals of that amount of time. Then progressively increase the intervals by small amounts.

I'm almost fully digital when it comes to books now.

Last physical books I bought were the ASoIaF books in 2012. And the next physical book I'll buy will be The Winds of Winter when it releases in 2025.

FloatOn

I do miss reading for fun though

I was a massive nerd for Bukowski, Vonnegut and Palahniuk back in the day

and then I read far too much philosophy for my own good. It's probably why I'm such a mess now :0

Pau

Misha

Banned

Once you get your own apartment, you should try reading again. When was the list time a book seriously affected your ability to get stuff done?
You monster.

11th grade. But like I said it was really bad. I'd forget to eat or sleep.

zeemumu

Audio books don't do anything for me. Just can't concentrate on pure audio. Ends up getting jumbled with the things going on in my head

I'm fairly dependent on having earbuds on when I'm out of the house. I usually have music, podcasts, or audio books running through them. Or like Lilith said, when I'm in the car. SoCal traffic leaves you with a lot of downtime stuck in your car.

I cringe when I look at my old PS2 discs. I had 0 respect for my discs back in the day. The cartridges are fine, though. You can't scratch a cartridge.

Misha

Banned
I'm fairly dependent on having earbuds on when I'm out of the house. I usually have music, podcasts, or audio books running through them. Or like Lilith said, when I'm in the car. SoCal traffic leaves you with a lot of downtime stuck in your car.
I noticed today that I do this weird thing with music while in the car. So I'll slightly zone out and drift back and forth between the song and my thoughts and then when I eventually get on a train of thought that I don't care for I'll absentmindedly press the next button to change song or station. Annoys me sometimes cause I wanted to listen to the song but i just happens anyway

Also my friends used to complain that I would only play 30 seconds of a song before skipping to the next one
I cringe when I look at my old PS2 discs. I had 0 respect for my discs back in the day. The cartridges are fine, though. You can't scratch a cartridge.
At least tell me you didn't let your controller and console cords get all tangled

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
@trab
200.gif

zeemumu

I noticed today that I do this weird thing with music while in the car. So I'll slightly zone out and drift back and forth between the song and my thoughts and then when I eventually get on a train of thought that I don't care for I'll absentmindedly press the next button to change song or station. Annoys me sometimes cause I wanted to listen to the song but i just happens anyway

Also my friends used to complain that I would only play 30 seconds of a song before skipping to the next one

I'm picky about what music I'll play at what time. I'm not fond of listening to Santeria by Sublime when it's night outside, and I don't like Listening to Africa by Toto or the main theme of Night Trap while the sun's still up.

I also suck at jogging for extended periods of time without music. If I try to jog without music I won't get very far. I don't see myself faring well at the running portion of that PT test since I wouldn't have access to my earbuds.

At least tell me you didn't let your controller and console cords get all tangled

I would untangle them every so often. Right now all of my cords that aren't in use are folded up and stored neatly into their own shelves on the stand underneath my television, and I fed the power and HDMI cables through the back so they didn't have to wrap around each other. It helps that all of my current gen controllers are wireless.

Misha

Banned
I could see a lot of things changing about my lifestyle once I move out. I probably won't feel so trapped anymore and have room for relaxing and self expression. Maybe I won't need escapism as much and won't need to keep my brain occupied with the Internet.

Maybe someday I'll find out *sigh*

marrec

Banned
You monster.

11th grade. But like I said it was really bad. I'd forget to eat or sleep.

I could see a lot of things changing about my lifestyle once I move out. I probably won't feel so trapped anymore and have room for relaxing and self expression. Maybe I won't need escapism as much and won't need to keep my brain occupied with the Internet.

Maybe someday I'll find out *sigh*

I'm rooting for you, once you're able to just be you in your own space things will get better I promise.

That's too many kittehs

It's what all the cool kids are using: https://www.goodreads.com/

Really nice way to keep track of what you've read and what you're reading. But the best part is seeing what your friends are reading or adding to their to-read lists. Really good for finding new books.

If any of you have an account, feel free to add me: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3745368-pau-toro :3

Oh man this is going to take me forever to set up but I like rating things so this is also fun, will add you once I'm done randomly rating books I've read.

zeemumu

I was reading that "Ronald McDonald shot in front of Sonic" thread, and the other guy involved had the last name Drummond. Drummond is also the last name of Ryan Drummond, who used to voice Sonic, and also had a small role in Bring it On.

I guess we're playing 6 degrees of Bring it On now.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Grocery shopping for tacos right now and I'm pretty sure I could stock my entire pantry with Frozen related goods. There is even Frozen fucking sweet corn and green beans and cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom