• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That outfit would look super cute on a different person.

ariana-grande-dangerous-woman-videos-compressed.jpg

jb1234

Yeah. It's not worth getting into, but there were pretty big problems in our relationship that both of us were choosing to ignore for different reasons. It wasn't really until I had a whole lot of time to think about it today that I started being honest with myself, and then honest with him. But it ended well, all things considered. We're probably going to go back to the level of friendship we were before dating.

But now my mind is asking "what now?" Last time it took me over a month to switch back out of relationship mode and accept being single. Now I don't know if I want to. It's all very confusing.

It's probably best if I duck out and boot up Headlander because this is starting to depress me again.

Deeply sorry. :(

FUME5

Yeah. It's not worth getting into, but there were pretty big problems in our relationship that both of us were choosing to ignore for different reasons. It wasn't really until I had a whole lot of time to think about it today that I started being honest with myself, and then honest with him. But it ended well, all things considered. We're probably going to go back to the level of friendship we were before dating.

But now my mind is asking "what now?" Last time it took me over a month to switch back out of relationship mode and accept being single. Now I don't know if I want to. It's all very confusing.

It's probably best if I duck out and boot up Headlander because this is starting to depress me again.

One of us is a smart and beautiful young lady who I'm sure is going to be just fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chad is such an American frat name. It stinks of obnoxious college footballer with rich hypocrite conservative parents.

How and why does music affect us so powerfully? How did this feature of being human evolve? Anyone know?

Because music has intention and humanity. We've evolved to see significance in things that are distinctly human, and you don't find music in nature. That's why you don't find a single note or or chord moving on its own, but paired with others in sequence it becomes something signifying part of the human experience.

We do this with tons of other things. The letters in the alphabet aren't that special to look at, but arranged in the right way and they become very powerful. A tooth and an eyeball and a lock of hair don't impress because lots of things have teeth, eyes and hair, but arranged into a human face or human-constructed face it becomes something of beauty.

There's more to it besides that, but that's a basic gist of the current leading theory.

Chad is such an American frat name. It stinks of obnoxious college footballer with rich hypocrite conservative parents.

College football is just four years of that person's life. He's still Chad for all the other eighty or so years of his life.

Jobbs

Banned
Because music has intention and humanity. We've evolved to see significance in things that are distinctly human, and you don't find music in nature. That's why you don't find a single note or or chord moving on its own, but paired with others in sequence it becomes something signifying part of the human experience.

We do this with tons of other things. The letters in the alphabet aren't that special to look at, but arranged in the right way and they become very powerful. A tooth and an eyeball and a lock of hair don't impress because lots of things have teeth, eyes and hair, but arranged into a human face or human-constructed face it becomes something of beauty.

There's more to it besides that, but that's a basic gist of the current leading theory.

Like that's a pretty good explanation but I don't really feel satisfied by it... It seems like there's something much more elemental about the way we experience music, like so many other elemental things we experience, only this seems to defy explanation

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Continuing my trend of watching oddly overrated films, American Hustle was kind of mediocre. I guess Amy Adams' skimpy dresses elevated it a good couple of points.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Music as a concept of artistic expression is inherently abstract and arguably limitless on the spectrum of vibrations relative between source and receiver. Music absolutely occurs in nature depending on perspective, and composition of music can defy classical conventions quite readily again based on perspective of the performer.

The psychology behind human interpretation of music, or how we define music, is certainly more complex, but at its guts it seems simply that human beings are mentally geared for complex pattern recognition irrespective of the source of those patterns, and are thus cognitively stimulated by receiving patterns of vibration (or abstractly disruption of patterns).

The humanity aspect is absolutely true, and also an interesting point of discussion as it explores significance from cultural conditioning. Melodies make us feel a certain way largely because we've been conditioned to respond to certain melodies through cultural use, though this is a duality with development of melodies with intention to resonate with particular emotions. Simplest example being psychedelic music. It's a feedback loop of melodies and audio stimuli created with intent to simulate and/or compliment the effects of psychoactive compounds, but the culture of psychedelic music trends born from this naturally reinforced the idea that these sounds are associated with trips.

Music, man.

My computer has crashed five times in the past eight hours. If this isn't a Windows 10 thing and rolling back to 8.1 doesn't fix it then I'm going to have to get a new computer :(

Jobbs

Banned
My computer has crashed five times in the past eight hours. If this isn't a Windows 10 thing and rolling back to 8.1 doesn't fix it then I'm going to have to get a new computer :(

dang I hate computer shit :(

edit: haha I just realized this is like the perfect example of feeling verses thinking or whatever from that personality test -- "When someone has a problem, do you first offer emotional support or try to come up with a practical solution?" you can see our personality types play out

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
dang I hate computer shit :(

edit: haha I just realized this is like the perfect example of feeling verses thinking or whatever from that personality test -- "When someone has a problem, do you first offer emotional support or try to come up with a practical solution?" you can see our personality types play out

Fuck those. Just more ignorant as hell pseudoscience as Myers-Briggs.

Who is afraid of peer review?
Replication.

Can I hear it again?

We want evidence?

When?

After peer review and replication

or real world data.

When do we want it?

As, soon as we get our grants on.
Science is broken.

I'm not really interested in diagnosing it, but it's a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p. During random tasks it starts locking up, first one program and then another until eventually all the processes come to a halt. It doesn't even have the dignity of an error message. So anyway I'm backing up my files right now and the thing says eight hours left, so I guess I might as well sleep on it.

I did some research earlier after the fourth crash and think this might be the one I want. I dunno. If I order in the next thirty eight hours I can get it on Tuesday, so that's nice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GHQOKO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm just ready for this day to be over.

A Fish Aficionado

As a laptop gamer/power user I approve. The MSi might be cheaper.
I got mine at a $300 discount at the time because the box was scuffed, through amazon.

I did some research earlier after the fourth crash and think this might be the one I want. I dunno. If I order in the next thirty eight hours I can get it on Tuesday, so that's nice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GHQOKO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fixing would be preferred considering how close we are to Pascal Mobile chips coming out (August release date expected).

This thread is always up to date with the latest stuff if you wanted a second opinion about which specific one to buy assuming you can't wait.

EatChildren

Man I must have gotten lucky with Win 10. Of all the OS swaps I've done it was by far the quickest and easiest with no glaring software incompatibilities or major bugs. Meanwhile for a friend the upgrade BSOD'd.

Fixing would be preferred considering how close we are to Pascal Mobile chips coming out (August release date expected).

This thread is always up to date with the latest stuff if you wanted a second opinion about which specific one to buy assuming you can't wait.

oh... good looking out!

Honestly I'm kind of at a point where I'm just looking for the least downtime. I couldn't get any work done tonight because the computer kept crashing, and I don't want to go a month or whatever without getting any work done. But I'll read through all that and do some more research.

Thanks, Adam.

A Fish Aficionado

Man I must have gotten lucky with Win 10. Of all the OS swaps I've done it was by far the quickest and easiest with no glaring software incompatibilities or major bugs. Meanwhile for a friend the upgrade BSOD'd.
None of my or my family's computers had any problems upgrading.

And other than mine, they aren't current machines.

Man, I'm just awful in dental care , forgot to brush my teeth again and it's happened on and off for the past month , I just did but blah smh at me

My senior self must be hating me now

EatChildren

Friend A is having a narky, neurotic breakdown because she's still on the rebound after the collapse of her 7 year relationship. She put all her chips in the first guy she rebounded with, who surprise surprise turned out to be a petulant, childish douche. Despite advice otherwise she is giving him a second chance.

Friend B continues to alter his brain chemistry through weekend long benders, continually risking termination from his job as he shows up either late or, in the case of this weekend, smelling of alcohol. He surprise visited today at lunch after a weekend bender, unslept and coming down, armed with more booze and basically sat around my apartment marathoning pop videos while getting progressively drunker. After leaving he realised he had no money for rent and asked me to loan, unable to clear it up with Friend A who he lives with due to her unfavourable behaviour.

I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I thought you were with notjobbs.. </3

you're like phoebe in that episode of friends haha

fumes is the jock and I'm the sensitive guy

she was literally just in bed with him like 6 hours ago...
I was. But we had this planned for a few days. NotJobbs was unplanned lol.
Bro let it go, it has been loooong over with notjobbs.
Nope
Oh. Damnit why does she have to date so many people.
Because of reasons.

Friend A is having a narky, neurotic breakdown because she's still on the rebound after the collapse of her 7 year relationship. She put all her chips in the first guy she rebounded with, who surprise surprise turned out to be a petulant, childish douche. Despite advice otherwise she is giving him a second chance.

Friend B continues to alter his brain chemistry through weekend long benders, continually risking termination from his job as he shows up either late or, in the case of this weekend, smelling of alcohol. He surprise visited today at lunch after a weekend bender, unslept and coming down, armed with more booze and basically sat around my apartment marathoning pop videos while getting progressively drunker. After leaving he realised he had no money for rent and asked me to loan, unable to clear it up with Friend A who he lives with due to her unfavourable behaviour.

I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

A bit of second hand drama here too.

An old friend and his roommate got relocated as part of their job, which moved to WA. Either they followed, or got made redundant. They decided to move. Then, it turns out the roommate was sleeping with some other person's fiance for months and the fiance just found out and is ready to murder him and my old friend (who he apparently holds partially responsible for not stopping it). So yesterday they did like emergency evacuation from their apartment and went to stay at different family member's places. They're pushing up the timetable on leaving for WA too, which was already ridiculously short!

Jobbs

Banned
Out of NotJobbs and notfume5-1?

Umm notfume5-1. Just.

I haven't slept with NotJobbs. We just snuggled and stuff

notjobbs sounds like the keeper. he's all sensitive and shit. dude I gotta stop and write a song about you real quick before I forget.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
notjobbs sounds like the keeper. he's all sensitive and shit. dude I gotta stop and write a song about you real quick before I forget.
Ehhhhh. He's sweet and all but also mad. Hadn't spoken to him in over a week until Friday.

Notfume5-1 is probably a better fit but we have differing music tastes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom