• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not defending douchebags

I'm encouraging being authentic

An attractive woman in a bar acting pleasant is going to have drinks bought for her. I'm not sure what you want her to do... If free stuff is being offered, take it. You want her to turn all the drinks down? Why? There's no transaction, there's no "deal" to break. If something is offered feel free to take it.

I'm not big on the bar scene but if someone wants to go hang out and have drinks bought for them I just don't see the problem. Some of the buyers of those drinks will be the EC types just being merry and having a good time, others will be shitheads feeling like they might be owed something in return -- either way I don't see how the woman did anything wrong.

I can't imagine what's posessing you to take this bizarre position but I'm going to have to stop commenting on this topic because it's going around in circles

Bar guys are stupid. Fuck em, take their money.

This is more or less my feeling on it, too

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Bar guys are stupid. Fuck em, take their money.

Meanwhile...

Yeah, when I used to bar, I definitely abused men for free drinks. Male entitlement is very easy to manipulate.

You're behaving like a sociopath, right down to assuming that you're smarter than the men buying you drinks. If a woman is attractive they'll get drinks bought for them, sure. BUT COME ON with this active leeching mentality, that's not healthy.

I'm pretty much done with this topic as a free drink is obviously not a contract to have sex or anything (those guys are assholes), but yeah, pretending you're interested when you're not for free drink after free drink is scummy. That's not a controversial opinion either. None of them are owed anything of course, but to lead them on as a way to get free liquor is poor form.

marrec

Banned
It's all social interaction tho right?

Pretending you're interested when "you're not" for a free drink is also a social interaction and exposes yourself to their advances which may or may not actually make you interested, depending on the situation/person.

Whatever.

Dudes should buy drinks for other dudes/ladies with zero expectations of reciprocation.

I once had a friend who would buy me steam games and LoL skins and then would beg me for nudes (I mean straight up half of my steam library is from him alone) and I never asked for a single one. He fucking offered to buy me a computer if I would send him pics.

I did not agree to any kind of contract with him, I just said "thanks but I'm not sending you shit" and he was all "okay that's cool!" and then would keep doing it. Eventually I had to tell him to cut it out completely because I felt guilty for his shitty behavior.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It's all social interaction tho right?

Pretending you're interested when "you're not" for a free drink is also a social interaction and exposes yourself to their advances which may or may not actually make you interested, depending on the situation/person.

Whatever.

Dudes should buy drinks for other dudes/ladies with zero expectations of reciprocation.

I agree with the bolded one hundred percent. I'm simply stating that it is somewhat scummy to go to the extent of leading a guy on for those free beverages. It's not what usually happens or anything, but leading someone on isn't good form and that's not really a controversial opinion or anything.

I just don't think Ceallach has a very healthy outlook here and that's the only poster surrounding this whole issue I really take issue with. "Fuck 'em" is dismissive. I don't have an issue with women being bought drinks, it's just a social gesture..I'm purely saying that leading someone on is pretty scummy.

Pau

I once had a friend who would buy me steam games and LoL skins and then would beg me for nudes (I mean straight up half of my steam library is from him alone) and I never asked for a single one. He fucking offered to buy me a computer if I would send him pics.

I did not agree to any kind of contract with him, I just said "thanks but I'm not sending you shit" and he was all "okay that's cool!" and then would keep doing it. Eventually I had to tell him to cut it out completely because I felt guilty for his shitty behavior.
You'd think guys like this would realize their money could be better spent elsewhere.

Jobbs

Banned
what is this foreign language on the screen

memory testing tool

where do people like this come from? I don't understand it

haha you guys :p

That actually sounds rather useful, especially if you think the issue is RAM related.

My impression of how useful it is is going to depend on whether it actually finds any errors :p

My computer keeps locking up and I can't isolate the issue, so I've been testing everything. Going back to Windows 8.1 didn't fix it, doing tests on the hard drives didn't fix it, and so now I'm testing the RAM. RAM actually would be a pretty easy and relatively cheap fix in theory, but I'm not just going to buy a couple sticks on a whim!

I'm growing increasingly impatient though. I already have the new computer in my Amazon cart :O

Jobbs

Banned
haha you guys :p

My impression of how useful it is is going to depend on whether it actually finds any errors :p

My computer keeps locking up and I can't isolate the issue, so I've been testing everything. Going back to Windows 8.1 didn't fix it, doing tests on the hard drives didn't fix it, and so now I'm testing the RAM. RAM actually would be a pretty easy and relatively cheap fix in theory, but I'm not just going to buy a couple sticks on a whim!

I'm growing increasingly impatient though. I already have the new computer in my Amazon cart :O

Just buy the new computer and forget this whole mess.. That's what I'd do. That's what I think you're already going to do. I have so little patience for computer problems.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Meanwhile...

You're behaving like a sociopath, right down to assuming that you're smarter than the men buying you drinks. If a woman is attractive they'll get drinks bought for them, sure. BUT COME ON with this active leeching mentality, that's not healthy.

I'm pretty much done with this topic as a free drink is obviously not a contract to have sex or anything (those guys are assholes), but yeah, pretending you're interested when you're not for free drink after free drink is scummy. That's not a controversial opinion either. None of them are owed anything of course, but to lead them on as a way to get free liquor is poor form.

I agree with the bolded one hundred percent. I'm simply stating that it is somewhat scummy to go to the extent of leading a guy on for those free beverages. It's not what usually happens or anything, but leading someone on isn't good form and that's not really a controversial opinion or anything.

I just don't think Ceallach has a very healthy outlook here and that's the only poster surrounding this whole issue I really take issue with. "Fuck 'em" is dismissive. I don't have an issue with women being bought drinks, it's just a social gesture..I'm purely saying that leading someone on is pretty scummy.
I never said shit about leading any guy on. These shit heads buy the drinks without ever saying one fucking word to women, thinking I am gonna swoon over a fucking $8 cocktail or a fucking Corona or some shit.

So yeah, fuck them

Edited because I was way too harsh

Just buy the new computer and forget this whole mess.. That's what I'd do. That's what I think you're already going to do. I have so little patience for computer problems.

I know. I'll click the order button as soon as this mem test is finished (probably ~45m left).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

tofu-main.jpg

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Having the fucking stupid ass snapchat dog bullshit should be at least a bankable offense if not worthy of public execution

Was just put in a situation where an acquaintance wanted me to sing for someone they knew who's in the music business. It did not go very well. I'd already been drinking a bit, and my nerves got to me, and there were a bunch of people around. It shouldn't be possible for me to constantly screw up opportunities like these. :(

Jobbs

Banned
I run 5 miles every morning and sometimes it's hard only for how bored I get. Even though I'm outside and listening to music my mind starts to wander and I get ideas and I want to go move on to other stuff.

If I had to I could probably run much further, and I'm curious to see how far I could run one of these days.

On the upside, I almost always have an elevated mood after running. I'd recommend it for that reason alone.

i love the snapchat dog and it makes me look cute :(

No you look cute without it and the dog is getting in the way

No, you make you look cute, if anything the dog is just hiding some of it.

I'm in a super bitchy mood tonight, maybe I should just go to bed
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i see what you did there

I run 5 miles every morning and sometimes it's hard only for how bored I get. Even though I'm outside and listening to music my mind starts to wander and I get ideas and I want to go move on to other stuff.

If I had to I could probably run much further, and I'm curious to see how far I could run one of these days.

On the upside, I almost always have an elevated mood after running. I'd recommend it for that reason alone.

podcasts are more entertaining than music for this purpose

Jobbs

Banned
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i see what you did there

podcasts are more entertaining than music for this purpose

Music helps me get lost in the whole thing and space out (which is a good approach to running, I feel) but maybe I should try a podcast next time and see if the continuity of it helps push things forward.

Music helps me get lost in the whole thing and space out (which is a good approach to running, I feel) but maybe I should try a podcast next time and see if the continuity of it helps push things forward.

I'm going to equate my biking experience to your running one because I took up riding to work as a hobby this summer, and it's about a forty-five minute round trip. I started out listening to music on the way and will still do so sometimes, but it tends to make the trip feel much longer than podcasts.

I'm assuming part of this is because I'm more familiar with the material and so spend less brain power processing it (and distracted), but also because music is pretty quantifiable. It's pretty easy to think "well I've listened to five songs, so it's been about sixteen minutes" or whatever. Whereas the metric is much less apparent in a continuous media.

The OC Fair? I've never been but I really want to go

Yeah. I go pretty much every year. A lot of my friends live right next to it.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm going to equate my biking experience to your running one because I took up riding to work as a hobby this summer, and it's about a forty-five minute round trip. I started out listening to music on the way and will still do so sometimes, but it tends to make the trip feel much longer than podcasts.

I'm assuming part of this is because I'm more familiar with the material and so spend less brain power processing it (and distracted), but also because music is pretty quantifiable. It's pretty easy to think "well I've listened to five songs, so it's been about sixteen minutes" or whatever. Whereas the metric is much less apparent in a continuous media.

Yeah. I go pretty much every year. A lot of my friends live right next to it.

yep, gonna try the peter holmes thing you suggested before :D I wrote it all down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom