• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I have a launch PS3. The 20GB model actually, which is pretty rare (upgraded the HD tho). I had it reballed and had a new fan put in which is louder but keeps it pretty cool.

Nice, congrats on the full PS2 on a chip. Shame the 20 GB didn't last long outside of Japan, PS3 wi-fi was awful so it's not really a loss that it requires Ethernet, especially since it's a full-speed Gigabit port.

Better a loud fan than weaksauce. I mean, the original fan was big, but something about the initial cooling wasn't good enough. I hope yours lasts.

I'm of the opinion that the move to lead-free solder (which supposedly doesn't have the same "give") contributed to the ball grid array cracking problems too and thus YLOD.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Arent the Wii and GCube component cables interchangeable though?
No. Complety different port
I'm actually more surprised that some people will still buy PS2-compatible PS3's, since those are pretty much guaranteed to die pretty soon if they haven't already and not even a reball is a permanent fix.

As nice as those beasts are, it's too risky.

I'm not quite sure why it is, but the GameCube component cable is far superior to the Wii component cable. Given that it's a digital output port on early GC's as opposed to purely analogue output like on Wii, maybe there's a DAC built into the cable. It would need one if it's really a digital output since component video is analogue.

GCN component is pushing straight off the video out, beautiful and crisp progressive video. Wii is converting.

wouldn't emulating through dolphin yield as good or better results than component cables?

Fuck emulation. I want real games on real hardware.

Is there any difference between the official Nintendo ones and third party? I don't have a GC anymore so there's no reason for me to keep them but I can't seem to pull the trigger and sell them, hmm

I have a launch PS3. The 20GB model actually, which is pretty rare (upgraded the HD tho). I had it reballed and had a new fan put in which is louder than the original but keeps it pretty cool. I had to ship it to Florida and it took a while but I couldn't let it die. A system that can play PS1, 2, and 3 games is too awesome
There are no 3rd party GCN cables

I have a launch PS3. The 20GB model actually, which is pretty rare (upgraded the HD tho). I had it reballed and had a new fan put in which is louder than the original but keeps it pretty cool. I had to ship it to Florida and it took a while but I couldn't let it die. A system that can play PS1, 2, and 3 games is too awesome
Where's a good place to get these reballed? I've got an 80GB, partial hardware back com ps3 and it died from ylod. I fixed it the first time it happened using the thermal paste method, which lasted for three months, but I didn't even bother the second time.

Pancake Mix

No. Complety different port

GCN component is pushing straight off the video out, beautiful and crisp progressive video. Wii is converting.

Fuck emulation. I want real games on real hardware.

There are no 3rd party GCN cables

It seems to be the other way around. Since the GC Digital Out is pushing a digital signal, Nintendo put a DAC into the cable, shown here:
cable-board.jpg

Here's info on that chip: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=MXB012355

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/1aug71/any_idea_why_gamecube_component_cables_so_damn/

The Wii outputs an analogue signal out of it's video out, so it doesn't need any conversion and it's not a 1:1 signal. Technically after the conversion to analogue the GC cable's isn't 1:1 either, but it does a good job and it's far closer.

Agree 100 percent on real hardware.

dralla

Where's a good place to get these reballed? I've got an 80GB, partial hardware back com ps3 and it died from ylod. I fixed it the first time it happened using the thermal paste method, which lasted for three months, but I didn't even bother the second time.

I looked forever to find places near me who did a reball and not a reflow, but none did. I ended up finding a mom and pop type shop in Florida and sending it to them to do it (I'm in NY). It was like a hundred bucks in total. I can't remember the name of the place, unfortunately. Unless you get lucky and have somewhere local that will do the repair, I think you'll most likely have to send it away to a shop.

I looked forever to find places near me who did a reball and not a reflow, but none did. I ended up finding a mom and pop type shop in Florida and sending it to them to do it (I'm in NY). It was like a hundred bucks in total. I can't remember the name of the place, unfortunately. Unless you get lucky and have somewhere local that will do the repair, I think you'll most likely have to send it away to a shop.
Ah ok. Thanks. I remember looking for places back when it died the second time, but everything looked so shady, so I just gave up.

zeemumu

I'm actually more surprised that some people will still buy PS2-compatible PS3's, since those are pretty much guaranteed to die pretty soon if they haven't already and not even a reball is a permanent fix.

As nice as those beasts are, it's too risky.

I've had my backwards compatible PS3 since it came out. It still runs fine.

Pancake Mix

I've had my backwards compatible PS3 since it came out. It still runs fine.

You probably took care of it. On the other hand, there's a risk when buying used stuff that the previous owner has not taken care of it or even that it already YLOD and was "fixed" with a hair dryer for example. There's just too much risk there to buy one in 2016 imo. If nothing else, if it's been used frequently there's almost a decade of wear and tear.

Are you going to play bloodbirthed after?

hm maybe a little Zolda instead. it's a classic.

Jerry would break up with a girl that says dead souls

Are you Seinfeld or not? Answer is you want to be Seinfeld
this blew my mind. I AM SEINFELD
He sounds like a scrub. You need to find yourself a real man

btw did I mention I have ever 300 hours between Souls games

gnrd2dW.gif

haha move to Germany then we can talk

If I met Lea I'd probably say random Seinfeld lines and then run out of stuff to say and run away red faced
;p

Awkward life is best life, I usually run out of stuff if I don't know or find a common interest

I've never met anyone I've only known online so I don't know how that'd go 🤔

dralla

haha move to Germany then we can talk

You guys have Trader Joe's over there? If not, nahhhh

they always suggest Moorio Kart to me for some reason.

I think it's because everyone likes MK. I have MK listed on my profile and I've gotten lots of challenges. I actually ended up playing quite a few people from OKC in MK and everyone of them play as Toad except one, who played as Donkey Kong. You can also do some fun things with it, loser has to do what the winner says..or maybe try and distract them while they're playing..fun stuff, ya know

I will not lie, if I met Lea, I'd probably be awkward as fuck around her.
Maybe I'm a weirdo but I'm most comfortable on dates, around complete strangers.

I'm always awkward with people I've only known online (at least on the first meet up), and it's not even in my nature to be awkward around people. It's a completely different way of being with someone.

Weirdly enough I've never had a problem with meeting people that I first knew online. Not that that have been many.

I even had one guy who became a good friend but lives far from me. Didn't spoke to him for about 6 years and then he suddenly appeared at a game jam I was at. Got talking again like we never stopped. :D

You guys have Trader Joe's over there? If not, nahhhh

I think it's because everyone likes MK. I have MK listed on my profile and I've gotten lots of challenges. I actually ended up playing quite a few people from OKC in MK and everyone of them play as Toad except one, who played as Donkey Kong. You can also do some fun things with it, loser has to do what the winner says..or maybe try and distract them while they're playing..fun stuff, ya know

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I'm most comfortable on dates, around complete strangers.
I don't like it. well I don't dislike it either but I don't really care for MK. plus I'd never play video games on a date. I already do that enough during my home alone-slob life. on dates I just want to get to know the person and talk.

I think I've only ever met one person I only knew from the internet. Me and the guitarist of this hardcore band Cavalcades (they're good) both posted on the Ultimate-Guitar forums and I saw them when they went on tour

I was hella awkward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom