• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluvian

Banned
vtth3hc0ov8rzmrit0ojh7lszp.jpg

😍😍

A fire place in front of all that natural lighting? would give me a headache, if you put some curtains over the window I'd be really cozy in there.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ahhh, had two separately politically charged dreams last night. First of which showed Hillary, Trump, and for whatever reason, Jill Stein neck and neck at the polls. The other one had Hillary absolutely demolish Trump at the election, with him dropping to double figures, electorally. And when I see stuff like this...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260000

I think I'm safe in assuming that I can predict the future 50% of the time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One of the things I admire the most about my parents is their ability to build and make, but specially, to do so on a shoestring budget. My father's latest project may be his most ambicious yet: a very cheap rural home built for less than half of what I spent renovating my own apartment. Sure, it may not be the prettiest thing ever, but that was never the intent.

Although my parents are retired, they decided to make use of some inherited land in the boonies by starting a small agri business. The issue here is that while my father's ancestral home is in tip top condition -as it served the whole family as a summer retreat for decades-, my mother's is damaged beyond repair and its future status is kind of muddy given that it will probably have to be either shared with her three siblings or bought from them. With that in mind and having invested most of their cash in the fields, my father decided that it would make much more sense to build a new home for cheap than renovating the old one.

After plenty of consideration, I convinced my father not to build a conventional home from the ground but to use shipping containers instead. He thought I was crazy, until we found that a bankrupt real estate developer was about to enter liquidation, which meant their employees were desperate to raise some cash before everything was auctioned. Determined to build their home for the smallest amount of money, he scored a fully furnished office at a construction site (composed by two containers with large windows and motorised awning) and an additional fully isolated container used by the engineers and architects to store their blueprints for a grand total of €4,000. Shipping them to their current location and setting them was about €3,000. I designed the layout and my plans were revised by an architect in order to comply with all regulations.

The thing that impresses me the most is how little my father spent on it. And I'm not just talking about the containers, which were cheap enough (I mean, building the structure for less than €10,000 is already crazy as it is). Since the office was fully furnished, it came with several large tables and a lower one used in the living room, over a dozen chairs (you can spot some of those in the pictures), a large, modular waiting couch and three small AC units. The wood panelling came from my pre-reno apartment (he even repurposed a radiator cover as a TV stand), so did the bidet (they may be farmers, but they are not savages), the sink, the WC, the faucets (all of them well kept if a bit dated Jacob Delafon models) and much of the cabinetry, all of them for free. The kitchen was also stupid cheap, despite being relatively high grade and coming with a Compac (quartz) countertop. The same firm that built mine defaulted on the tax man, which resulted in a mass mailing aimed at their customers in order to get their pound of flesh before any creditors. Armed with that knowledge, we were able to negotiate a silly, silly price for one of the kitchens they already had on display.

In order to reduce costs, my father did all the tiling, roofing and built the garage for the tractor, which even has its own wash basin (taken from the engineer's container) so he can clean himself up before getting inside. He even crafted the large sliding door at the main gate (not shown) from one of the scrap containers walls, which is so ridiculously smart and smooth it deserves an article over Instructables. He would have happily done the electricity and the plumbing too, but that's where he had to contact the professionals due to safety regulations. He also covered the exterior walls with rock (which he personally picked and broke into pieces), since municipal ordinances require homeowners to either paint their walls white or use local rock in order to maintain uniformity.

Not to be taken as lazy, my mother got busy with crafts. He repurposed the cabinets from the engineering container used to store the blueprints as wardrobes for the two bedrooms (not shown), created a funky coat hanger from scrap materials, and even made some cushions from the fabric that used to cover the walls of my apartment before I renovated it. The somewhat beaten down leather couch in those pictures was already paid for since it was in storage (it came from their previous apartment in the city) and it's currently being reupholstered by her. The ugly blue modules will remain for now.

Although you can't tell from the pictures, the walls are now fully painted, there's a cast iron stove near the TV for heating, exterior rock tiling is done (that includes the dog house) and the yard is landscaped, complete with plum trees, an olive one and a back garden with tomatoes, onions and other vegetables. Their salads come for free. The only purchases they made besides the containers and the kitchen were the water heater, the shower stall (which was something hilariously cheap, like €75 at Brico Depot), the washing machine and the fridge, all of them deals scored during special sales. Everything else came for free or was fabricated at the spot.

I'm a bit of a design snob, so I won't claim it's a looker, but that was never the aim. They just wanted a comfortable shelter for a pittance so they can rest after working at the farm. And since it's relatively small, you can clean it in under an hour and heats/cools down with no effort. I know my dad will probably go full mad the day Tesla releases its home batteries.

Looking at all the stuff they've done over the years I feel like a lazy underachieving dipshit. It still blows my mind that my father was able to build a complete home for about €30,000 at the ripe old age of 65 over a period of two years, with his own hands, mostly during weekends, while I've needed over an entire year to get the design of a fucking arcade cabinet right. I can only wish to be as much of a handyman as him when I'm his age.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just woke up from a nightmare where everything was going wrong. There wasn't anything to do at work so I went out errand running, but two stores in a row didn't have what we needed. Then as we're walking down the street I notice a tire yard with most of its tires on fire. I can hear the blaring sirens of a fire truck but when that rolls onto the scene that too was on fire, about to explode. We barely get in the car to drive away when out of nowhere an airplane that's also on fire careens into the street in a harsh landing that scuffs up and blocks the road, so now we're back on foot. There's a thick cloud of dust that it's hard to see through, and phone service/internet isn't working so we can't call any lifelines. About a block later we walk through a park where there are dead people and broken furniture lying around everywhere like some kind of huge brawl broke out, and the few remaining fighters are tucked away in corners sniping at each other. Finally we get internet reception again and the news is going crazy with reports of bomb threats, earthquakes, robberies and looting. Somehow we eventually get back home but it's not my house. When we enter there's some sort of domestic violence hostage situation where one of the people is threatening to shoot her gun at an exposed gas main. The authorities on the scene are trying to make sure she doesn't do that because if it blows then some sort of chain reaction will unleash a lethal miasma of some sort to plague the city and beyond. So to help out we have to shut off the gas main but someone is falsely accusing me of being the one to install it so poorly and dangerously, so I'm the one of the ones who have to go fix it. We get into the basement and it's like a Bloodborne dungeon, traps and monsters everywhere. We sneak past using a guide my girlfriend is looking up but it's pretty far to the point we're trying to go. I take one wrong turn and accidentally aggro a huge boss who starts chasing us back to the house, mission as yet unaccomplished. Somehow in the chase, I think when I re-entered the house, the Bloodborne boss transformed into a hideous claymation form of a protagonist from a game I worked on ten years ago, and it was still chasing us. At this point the house was like a castle and we kept climbing higher and higher to escape the boss's wrath, but ultimately at the top of a tall tower I was grabbed by it and dragged back down to the depths.

Good morning. I'm late for work.
tl;dr

Edit:

One of the things I admire the most about my parents is their ability to build and make, but specially, to do so on a shoestring budget. My father's latest project may be his most ambicious yet: a very cheap rural home built for less than half of what I spent renovating my own apartment. Sure, it may not be the prettiest thing ever, but that was never the intent.

Although my parents are retired, they decided to make use of some inherited land in the boonies by starting a small agri business. The issue here is that while my father's ancestral home is in tip top condition -as it served the whole family as a summer retreat for decades-, my mother's is damaged beyond repair and its future status is kind of muddy given that it will probably have to be either shared with her three siblings or bought from them. With that in mind and having invested most of their cash in the fields, my father decided that it would make much more sense to build a new home for cheap than renovating the old one.

After plenty of consideration, I convinced my father not to build a conventional home from the ground but to use shipping containers instead. He thought I was crazy, until we found that a bankrupt real estate developer was about to enter liquidation, which meant their employees were desperate to raise some cash before everything was auctioned. Determined to build their home for the smallest amount of money, he scored a fully furnished office at a construction site (composed by two containers with large windows and motorised awning) and an additional fully isolated container used by the engineers and architects to store their blueprints for a grand total of €4,000. Shipping them to their current location and setting them was about €3,000. I designed the layout and my plans were revised by an architect in order to comply with all regulations.

The thing that impresses me the most is how little my father spent on it. And I'm not just talking about the containers, which were cheap enough (I mean, building the structure for less than €10,000 is already crazy as it is). Since the office was fully furnished, it came with several large tables and a lower one used in the living room, over a dozen chairs (you can spot some of those in the pictures), a large, modular waiting couch and three small AC units. The wood panelling came from my pre-reno apartment (he even repurposed a radiator cover as a TV stand), so did the bidet (they may be farmers, but they are not savages), the sink, the WC, the faucets (all of them well kept if a bit dated Jacob Delafon models) and much of the cabinetry, all of them for free. The kitchen was also stupid cheap, despite being relatively high grade and coming with a Compac (quartz) countertop. The same firm that built mine defaulted on the tax man, which resulted in a mass mailing aimed at their customers in order to get their pound of flesh before any creditors. Armed with that knowledge, we were able to negotiate a silly, silly price for one of the kitchens they already had on display.

In order to reduce costs, my father did all the tiling, roofing and built the garage for the tractor, which even has its own wash basin (taken from the engineer's container) so he can clean himself up before getting inside. He even crafted the large sliding door at the main gate (not shown) from one of the scrap containers walls, which is so ridiculously smart and smooth it deserves an article over Instructables. He would have happily done the electricity and the plumbing too, but that's where he had to contact the professionals due to safety regulations. He also covered the exterior walls with rock (which he personally picked and broke into pieces), since municipal ordinances require homeowners to either paint their walls white or use local rock in order to maintain uniformity.

Not to be taken as lazy, my mother got busy with crafts. He repurposed the cabinets from the engineering container used to store the blueprints as wardrobes for the two bedrooms (not shown), created a funky coat hanger from scrap materials, and even made some cushions from the fabric that used to cover the walls of my apartment before I renovated it. The somewhat beaten down leather couch in those pictures was already paid for since it was in storage (it came from their previous apartment in the city) and it's currently being reupholstered by her. The ugly blue modules will remain for now.

Although you can't tell from the pictures, the walls are now fully painted, there's a cast iron stove near the TV for heating, exterior rock tiling is done (that includes the dog house) and the yard is landscaped, complete with plum trees, an olive one and a back garden with tomatoes, onions and other vegetables. Their salads come for free. The only purchases they made besides the containers and the kitchen were the water heater, the shower stall (which was something hilariously cheap, like €75 at Brico Depot), the washing machine and the fridge, all of them deals scored during special sales. Everything else came for free or was fabricated at the spot.

I'm a bit of a design snob, so I won't claim it's a looker, but that was never the aim. They just wanted a comfortable shelter for a pittance so they can rest after working at the farm. And since it's relatively small, you can clean it in under an hour and heats/cools down with no effort. I know my dad will probably go full mad the day Tesla releases its home batteries.

Looking at all the stuff they've done over the years I feel like a lazy underachieving dipshit. It still blows my mind that my father was able to build a complete home for about €30,000 at the ripe old age of 65 over a period of two years, with his own hands, mostly during weekends, while I've needed over an entire year to get the design of a fucking arcade cabinet right. I can only wish to be as much of a handyman as him when I'm his age.
tl;dr redux the sequel

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was just kidding btw, I read both of your posts

Lilith, that sounds like a childhood nightmare on steroids.

Funky, I envy your parent's thrifty housemaking skills.

I was just kidding btw, I read both of your posts

Lilith, that sounds like a childhood nightmare on steroids.

Funky, I envy your parent's thrifty housemaking skills.
No, that's alright. I just always think it's interesting when I have a nightmare because they happen so infrequently. I didn't realize how long the post was when I made it (on mobile) and then I had to run out the door for work.

I got a couple Facebook messages today with concerns and complaints and I'm trying to decide if they're even worth responding to. Obviously the answer is no, but I'm usually really good at getting back to people so it weighs on my conscience when I don't.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just keep negative folks out of your life altogether. There's no reason in sacrificing your wellbeing for their misery.

Let terrible people asphyxiate in their miasmas.

Fluvian

Banned
Just keep negative folks out of your life altogether. There's no reason in sacrificing your wellbeing for their misery.

Is that in response to something? or just general life advice? because it's good advice, I had to cut myself off from an entire circle of toxic friends this year.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is that in response to something? or just general life advice? because it's good advice, I had to cut myself off from an entire circle of toxic friends this year.
Lilith's Facebook remarks.

No point in getting bothered over people who don't care about you in the first place.

Edit: I may have misread her post. I thought she was talking about people being bothered by her seeing a girl.

I'll do it but you'll have to get on my level. I go every morning at 6 am and I don't leave until I'm completely maxed out. I expect you to lift as heavy as me and run 15 miles like myself.
I'm 15st 10lbs, used to smoke and only quit last year, am possibly asthmatic and oversleep every day

None of that is happening

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
TBH I learned this a bit hard. Doesnt help I sometimes worry too much about people instead of myself to the point I would lose sleep giving support and suggestions that were never actually followed and kept going into that circle of bullshit that ended up me going really late at sleep and as soon as they get emotionally well they forget about you until they have another episode of "Oh poor me". Im mostly not too attached to people lately because of that and as soon as I see the same thing happening of people trying to use me as an emotional blanket I pretty much change conversation or say I got other things to do. Its definitely better not to deal with that kind of people and people who say everything is fucked all the time.

I jokingly asked a guy I was hitting on that once and he said "no", got up and left. Saw him hooking up with a huge black guy like ten minutes later, good for him.

Size queens will have a loose butthole. #BookmarkMe

Also 6 inches are average size from what I gather so yeah...

Clydefrog

btw

lemon cucumber Voss artesianal water is so good

Weird coincidence. Last week, I just found out lemon cucumbers exist whilst I was at a market. Didn't buy any but I know they're real now!

What other food do I not know of? The possibilities are endless

Fluvian

Banned
I'm 15st 10lbs, used to smoke and only quit last year, am possibly asthmatic and oversleep every day

None of that is happening

Yes it is, I've got your address, I'm moving in with you, I'm your new life coach, heres our daily routine for the next six months.
WAKE UP! I will scream into your face every morning at 5:15 am, we will each eat 3 fried eggs, two venison sausages and 3 pieces of turkey bacon.
at 5:30 am we will take our morning shower together and brush our teeth. 6:00 am we will be in the gym lifting weights and running, 8:30 am we will stumble out of the gym, go home and take a nap, we will wake up in time for brunch and then we will watch some Brooklyn Nine nine, then lunch, then we will play Overwatch and hearthstone till I grow tired and ah I'm fucking bored of writing this schedule now.....WORKOUT OR I'LL FIND YOU!.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yes it is, I've got your address, I'm moving in with you, I'm your new life coach, heres our daily routine for the next six months.
WAKE UP! I will scream into your face every morning at 5:15 am, we will each eat 3 fried eggs, two venison sausages and 3 pieces of turkey bacon.
at 5:30 am we will take our morning shower together and brush our teeth. 6:00 am we will be in the gym lifting weights and running, 8:30 am we will stumble out of the gym, go home and take a nap, we will wake up in time for brunch and then we will watch some Brooklyn Nine nine, then lunch, then we will play Overwatch and hearthstone till I grow tired and ah I'm fucking bored of writing this schedule now.....WORKOUT OR I'LL FIND YOU!.

If he doesnt feel like taking the shower with you I can step in for him. Just saying.
clock-eyebrow.gif

Lilith's Facebook remarks.

No point in getting bothered over people who don't care about you in the first place.

Edit: I may have misread her post. I thought she was talking about people being bothered by her seeing a girl.
Your first read was correct. These are people who are more interested in telling themselves that they know what's best for everyone than in actually helping people. I'd tersely thank them for their concern before telling them to buzz off but I can't even be sure that they actually do care. They just see an opportunity to reinforce their current worldview and are jumping on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom