• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUME5

Both women. You just keep diggin'!

The point is they aren't asking to be judged on their sexiness, it should be irrelevant, and even if they were it's kind of rude to publicly roast them for what you feel is their non attractiveness and all this can come across as hostile to some observers

I stand by my point that not every elite athlete is smoking hot, I have previously claimed that I can be a judgemental areshole and I doubt either of those people give a fuck what I think of their looks as they are Olympic athletes with the opportunity to reach their dreams.

But if you want to try to police my tone, go right ahead.

AcridMeat

Banned
13662162_10209824302021091_8995693466117235620_o.jpg
I love this but it's fucking huge.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Good morning

My knee hurts a bit less, but it is still hard to walk. These ibuprufen pills (1000 mg) are strong stuff, still feeling the effects after 13 hours

Jobbs

Banned
I stand by my point that not every elite athlete is smoking hot, I have previously claimed that I can be a judgemental areshole and I doubt either of those people give a fuck what I think of their looks as they are Olympic athletes with the opportunity to reach their dreams.

But if you want to try to police my tone, go right ahead.

Not the tone police unless we're talking guitars and amps :)

Just saying my piece

FUME5

Good morning

My knee hurts a bit less, but it is still hard to walk. These ibuprufen pills (1000 mg) are strong stuff, still feeling the effects after 13 hours

From the way you were talking about your back and then leg, I was willing to bet a cortisone shot or two was in your future.

Not the tone police unless we're talking guitars and amps :)

Just saying my piece

Moving right along then, initial impressions of NMS?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From the way you were talking about your back and then leg, I was willing to bet a cortisone shot or two was in your future.
?

Well, I am on the medical leave for whole week or even longer - I have additional check scheduled for Thursday. Current diagnosis is tendon inflammation on the inner side of the knee.

You should see coworkers faces when I announced that I won't be at work this week :D

FUME5

Well, I am on the medical leave for whole week or even longer - I have additional check scheduled for Thursday. Current diagnosis is tendon inflammation on the inner side of the knee.

You should see coworkers faces when I announced that I won't be at work this week :D

I assume you guys are still understaffed huh?

Jobbs

Banned
Moving right along then, initial impressions of NMS?

Very stylish but also kind of confusing and overwhelming at first. Right off the bat I'm getting warnings about heat damage and my suit's breaking and all my stuff's broken and I don't know how to contextualize any of it. I don't know why I'm taking heat damage or how to fix it or why to fix it or what the implications of that are.

It also spams me every two seconds with "unclaimed items in my inventory" and I can't figure out what the fuck they're talking about.

I'm probably just stupid though

FUME5

Very stylish but also kind of confusing and overwhelming at first. Right off the bat I'm getting warnings about heat damage and my suit's breaking and all my stuff's broken and I don't know how to contextualize any of it. I don't know why I'm taking heat damage or how to fix it or why to fix it or what the implications of that are.

It also spams me every two seconds with "unclaimed items in my inventory" and I can't figure out what the fuck they're talking about.

I'm probably just stupid though

How long did it take you to figure out what was needed for survival at the start of Don't Starve?

"Unclaimed items" notifications are often pre-order bonuses?

Jobbs

Banned
How long did it take you to figure out what was needed fro survival at the start of Don't Starve?

"Unclaimed items" notifications are often pre-order bonuses?

In don't starve, you started out with a simple inventory and a couple basic items and you go learn as you pick things up and see what they do. This starts out already feeling cluttered somehow. It's too much information.. And as you're taking your first steps trying to see what does what, you're already (or at least I am) taking bunches of heat damage and watching my suit wear down and I'm not sure why. Did it just happen to start me on an overheated planet that's killing me and that's the luck of the draw? If so I guess that's kinda cool.

Your point is taken, though, and I get that this is the type of game that it is. It's just a little frustrating at the outset.

As far as preorder bonuses, yeah, probably, but I can't figure out what they mean. I can't find any items to "redeem" or whatever.

FUME5

In don't starve, you started out with a simple inventory and a couple basic items and you go learn as you pick things up and see what they do. This starts out already feeling cluttered somehow. It's too much information.. And as you're taking your first steps trying to see what does what, you're already (or at least I am) taking bunches of heat damage and watching my suit wear down and I'm not sure why. Did it just happen to start me on an overheated planet that's killing me and that's the luck of the draw? If so I guess that's kinda cool.

Your point is taken, though, and I get that this is the type of game that it is. It's just a little frustrating at the outset.

As far as preorder bonuses, yeah, probably, but I can't figure out what they mean. I can't find any items to "redeem" or whatever.

Yeah, it's starting to look like they marketed this wrong, and a lot of people are going to be put off by the fact it's a survival game first and foremost, not a galactic walking sim.

Swamping the player with unexplained systems right from the outset doesn't seem like the best decision though.

And yes, starting planets are randomized and shit.

Man I'm itching to play this tonight, but PC over PS will probably work out better for me in the long run.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, it's starting to look like they marketed this wrong, and a lot of people are going to be put off by the fact it's a survival game first and foremost, not a galactic walking sim.

Swamping the player with unexplained systems right from the outset doesn't seem like the best decision though.

And yes, starting planets are randomized and shit.

Man I'm itching to play this tonight, but PC over PS will probably work out better for me in the long run.

For what it's worth it looks pretty nice on PS4 and I have no complaints about the performance of it so far.

I named my starting system Binso Banso. If any of you see it, consider it destiny. (If I'm correct though there are a quadtrillion systems and the chances of anyone seeing it are miniscule)

FUME5

For what it's worth it looks pretty nice on PS4 and I have no complaints about the performance of it so far.

I named my starting system Binso Banso. If any of you see it, consider it destiny. (If I'm correct though there are a quadtrillion systems and the chances of anyone seeing it are miniscule)

Already bought it on PC before the release date fuckery.

Jobbs

Banned
That it's a survival game makes it more likely I'll buy it.

I basically knew almost nothing about it and still don't. I just knew it was something with spaceships and planets and procedurally generated stuff.

It's full of materials and items and components and equipment and notifications and information and while I'm sure this'll all seem simple later it feels overwhelming initially. Definitely not a walking sim. Feels oppressive and uncaring.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Morning, fakers.

1) it's DC

2) there cannot have been that much wine in that cheese
I'm tempted to PM Pau just to see if I trigger her batsensibilities.

I don't think there's a TV show I despise more than Big Brother, and it's been like that since the first season many, many moons ago. But maybe I could change my opinion on of it the show revolved about publicly flogging the cretins that take part in it.

Really bitter about the way Nintendo is handling the Metroid 2 remake situation. If they gave a shit about Metroid, maybe they'd start actually making games in that franchise people want to play.
I'm not sure if I can blame Nintendo. Back at a previous life I worked at a huge American corporation which had an army of lawyers ready to go feral as soon as somebody uttered the words "copyright infringement". The reason being that copyrights, like sovereignty, are only yours if you exercise them 24/7/365. Otherwise it turns into a mess and opens the doors for a lot of cheeky folks with cheeky ideas whom you may not be able to fight off if things go bad.

I'd google for pictures of sexy powerlifters, wrestlers, and long distance runners, but then i'd have nothing to do tonight.

Australia's Charlotte Caslick (rugby) is snu-snu material.

NSFW-ish.

I'd let her turn my pelvic bone into dust.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maaan fit chicks are the beeeesssstttt

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My mate's fiance is a women's MMA gym junkie.

Life is cruel.

EatChildren

she said, never

I know a couple who ultimately broke up because their sexual incompatibility was unfortunately poor mostly due to the dude's gigantor knob.

True story.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My mate's fiance is a women's MMA gym junkie.

Life is cruel.

Offseason fitness girls (read: when they are not cut to hell and veiny like an RPG ironsmith) make me weak on my knees.

On that account, I've been struggling to help my girlfriend get back into shape. She was a karate competitor until she busted her knee and had retire after many years of practice, which left her with dem Chun Li thighs and the flattest stomach. Alas, she still has the cravings of someone who's been strenuously training since she was a child and she's been blessed/damned with a tall and curvy body, which means she tends to gain weight very, very quickly, leading to lots of frustration. Sundresses look good on her, but she can forget about jeans or pretty much any kind of clothes not bought at shops with an eye on wide-waisted ladies like Guess, which is not cheap. And of course, she will look at old pictures of herself back when she was at her prime and despair.

I know she'll get there, but it's not being easy.

Try finding a girl who rides motorcycles. It's even more rare.

Watch Torque for some authentic biker lady action.

jb1234

I'm not sure if I can blame Nintendo. Back at a previous life I worked at a huge American corporation which had an army of lawyers ready to go feral as soon as somebody uttered the words "copyright infringement". The reason being that copyrights, like sovereignty, are only yours if you exercise them 24/7/365. Otherwise it turns into a mess and opens the doors for a lot of cheeky folks with cheeky ideas whom you may not be able to fight off if things go bad.

Oh, they're perfectly within their rights to protect their property. They also had like a decade to shut this down and they left it alone until after its release. I refuse to believe they were completely oblivious to its existence. It's just really weird.

Started Uncharted 4 over from the beginning (only made it to Chapter 9) and played to Chapter 8 tonight. I guess I'm in a better mindset because I'm having a blast with it now.

EatChildren

Unironically listening to Poppy and enjoying it thoroughly.

Offseason fitness girls (read: when they are not cut to hell and veiny like an RPG ironsmith) make me weak on my knees.

On that account, I've been struggling to help my girlfriend get back into shape. She was a karate competitor until she busted her knee and had retire after many years of practice, which left her with dem Chun Li thighs and the flattest stomach. Alas, she still has the cravings of someone who's been strenuously training since she was a child and she's been blessed/damned with a tall and curvy body, which means she tends to gain weight very, very quickly, leading to lots of frustration. Sundresses look good on her, but she can forget about jeans or pretty much any kind of clothes not bought at shops with an eye on wide-waisted ladies like Guess, which is not cheap. And of course, she will look at old pictures of herself back when she was at her prime and despair.

I know she'll get there, but it's not being easy.

Curse of the fitness junkie; physical injuries are a guaranteed descent into madness and frustration. Good luck though, because now I envy you.

And that's the census done with for another five years.

Oh yeah, that. Better dig up the form.

Started Uncharted 4 over from the beginning (only made it to Chapter 9) and played to Chapter 8 tonight. I guess I'm in a better mindset because I'm having a blast with it now.

Hmmmmmm maybe I should do the same. I got to Madagasca and kept being told by friends this is when it hits the ground running and becomes legit gud, but maaan it's a boring, overdrawn slog up to that point. Like not without highs but seriously Druckmann need someone to kick him up the arse when it comes to pacing. A slow burn is fine but his work is too self indulgent and the impact is lost IMO. The Last of Us had the same problem.

Jobbs

Banned
I just fixed my ship and went into space. There are certain things about it that seem admirable but I get the feeling I just walked around looking for goodies just so I can go somewhere else and do the same thing. I'm not sure it's actually fun.

Kinda not finding myself caring

fyG3fJc.png

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I like sexy women and most fit women are sexy.

I just fixed my ship and went into space. There are certain things about it that seem admirable but I get the feeling I just walked around looking for goodies just so I can go somewhere else and do the same thing. I'm not sure it's actually fun.

fyG3fJc.png

Did you find any rocks yet?

jb1234

Hmmmmmm maybe I should do the same. I got to Madagasca and kept being told by friends this is when it hits the ground running and becomes legit gud, but maaan it's a boring, overdrawn slog up to that point. Like not without highs but seriously Druckmann need someone to kick him up the arse when it comes to pacing. A slow burn is fine but his work is too self indulgent and the impact is lost IMO. The Last of Us had the same problem.

A replay of the first three hours has made me appreciate its pacing a little more, I think. I definitely didn't feel as bored and the entire heist sequence was as good as ever.

(That said, I'm dreading the Scotland sequence. I never got past it the first time because I found jumping from ledge to ledge mindnumbing.)

fyG3fJc.png

Yeah. I went to five different planets, two space stations, and a half dozen outposts. It's copy/paste the game, so if you don't enjoy the primary gameplay loop then it's not for you.

EatChildren

A replay of the first three hours has made me appreciate its pacing a little more, I think. I definitely didn't feel as bored and the entire heist sequence was as good as ever.

(That said, I'm dreading the Scotland sequence. I never got past it the first time because I found jumping from ledge to ledge mindnumbing.)

The Heist sequence was my tipping point of "holy shit i do not care". Outside of the visually impressive setting I didn't like it at all.

I find though with some games like this I'm just not in the right mood, and if I restart all the pieces come together much more elegantly and I find myself far more engaged than the initial try.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah. I went to five different planets, two space stations, and a half dozen outposts. It's copy/paste the game, so if you don't enjoy the primary gameplay loop then it's not for you.

I don't know if this was just luck of the draw, but to get hte heredium or whatever to fix my thrusters I had to make a 10 minute journey across a vast neverending landscape that has nothing interesting in it. Then.. I had to make the same journey back. It was so boring. THe only thing htat broke up the tedium was being attacked by little flying robots that are hard to target and have way too many hitpoints.

I'm not sure I get it. Maybe I'm too cynical because I kinda see behind the curtain a bit -- I understand that it's just a bunch of garbage being vomited up by an algorithm. I don't feel like I'm a dot in a vast universe, I feel like I'm a dot in a boring computer equation

jb1234

The Heist sequence was my tipping point of "holy shit i do not care". Outside of the visually impressive setting I didn't like it at all.

I find though with some games like this I'm just not in the right mood, and if I restart all the pieces come together much more elegantly and I find myself far more engaged than the initial try.

I think it's worth a try, at least. I've found that taking my time and admiring the environments has done wonders for my appreciation of the game.

There was also a cutscene (
Nadine and Rafe interrogating Sully)
that I found more compelling than pretty much all of Star Trek: Beyond. Naughty Dog has the best motion capture in the business, for sure.

I'm not sure I get it. Maybe I'm too cynical because I kinda see behind the curtain a bit -- I understand that it's just a bunch of garbage being vomited up by an algorithm. I don't feel like I'm a dot in a vast universe, I feel like I'm a dot in a boring computer equation

And that's why I hate procedural generated elements in games.

EatChildren

Some people like algorithms vomiting up garbage as the illusion of freedom and scope remains intact and emotionally resonates with particular virtual desires. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find No Man's Sky boring and disengaging, but I loved Mass Effect's barren uncharted worlds for what I can assume are similar reason to why some will love No Man's Sky galactic breadth, so I can appreciate the appeal.

I think it's worth a try, at least. I've found that taking my time and admiring the environments has done wonders for my appreciation of the game.

There was also a cutscene (
Nadine and Rafe interrogating Sully)
that I found more compelling than pretty much all of Star Trek: Beyond. Naughty Dog has the best motion capture in the business, for sure.

Yeah you've given me oomf; I'll restart tomorrow when I get home from work and need a wind down. The cutscenes are great though yeah. The actual script is very convincing and the character performances / coaching spot on, so I have no issue there, it's more the smoke-and-mirrors gameplay junk that bothers me. Kind of like Jobbs and No Man's Sky right now, it's the little things in the Uncharted series that make me go uuuuugggghhhhhh booooooring. Like in that same chapter the
Nadine fist fight[/i]. No matter how gorgeous and beautifully animated it is I just don't give a shit because the fight is so simple and dull and so obviously trying to hide the fact behind fancy production that there's no real substance. Same goes for a lot of encounters in the Uncharted games; I just don't care and don't feel them to be particularly inventive, dynamic, or thrilling.

But then I remember really enjoying Uncharted 2 so *shrug*

Jobbs

Banned
And that's why I hate procedural generated elements in games.

It works very well in some games -- Like don't starve, where you have to build a base and stuff. All I seem to do in NMS is look for minerals and shit so I can find things so I can make and fix more things. I feel like I can kinda see what the game is going to be.

The landscapes are endless but it's all just the same stuff. There's nothing to it. It feels pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom