• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Hmm. Likability is a learned experience reinforced by social roles, but why can't you be cheery like her?
Actually I seem to be very likable in general (judging by how things normally go) and I can be very friendly. I just like the way she does it better. No one ever said jealousy is rational :p
it's just so off putting to me.

if I'm going to watch a movie or a show for it's story I need to somehow be able to relate to the humanity of it's characters. even if the story is completely fantasy seeing an actual human convey those emotions has way more impact than something that is animated.
How do you deal with any video games that aren't the crappy fmv ones from the 90s?

Also related: Personally acting rarely conveys human behavior and emotions to be believable to me.

I really enjoyed what I played of NMS. Did some dogfighting, met and traded goods with some aliens, and did a shit ton of mining and exploring. Negatives for me are the small amounts of materials/resources you can hold in each slot, and the sentinels. Though, it depends on the planet how annoying and assholeish sentinels can get.

Compared to other survival games I've played, I like this quite a bit more. And apparently there's bounties and shit, but I didn't do any of that.

Fluvian

Banned
it's just so off putting to me.

if I'm going to watch a movie or a show for it's story I need to somehow be able to relate to the humanity of it's characters. even if the story is completely fantasy seeing an actual human convey those emotions has way more impact than something that is animated.

yes

I don't know man, i've been watching cartoons my entire life (and I've been jacking off to them for half of it) and I don't think I've ever had a problem believing a well written character was a person, even a horse person like Bojack, maybe it's a generational thing.

Fluvian

Banned
I really enjoyed what I played of NMS. Did some dogfighting, met and traded goods with some aliens, and did a shit ton of mining and exploring. Negatives for me are the small amounts of materials/resources you can hold in each slot, and the sentinels. Though, it depends on the planet how annoying and assholeish sentinels can get.

Compared to other survival games I've played, I like this quite a bit more. And apparently there's bounties and shit, but I didn't do any of that.

My friend who's been playing since 8 this morning says it really opens up at the 6 hour mark for some reason.

FloatOn

How do you deal with any video games that aren't the crappy fmv ones from the 90s?

Also related: Personally acting rarely conveys human behavior and emotions to be believable to me.

I rarely play video games for their story

to me it's just escapism via fun problem solving.

If the sentinels don't scan you then you're fine. Just move on from a spot you've mined instead of dwelling in the same place and you'll be fine.

The limited inventory bothers me intensely because the game doesn't tell you when you'll need what besides the basics for fuel. There's so much trial and error there.

My friend who's been playing since 8 this morning says it really opens up at the 6 hour mark for some reason.
Cool. I could see a lot of people not be willing give this game that much time to open up, though. NMS is definitely not for everyone.

If the sentinels don't scan you then you're fine. Just move on from a spot you've mined instead of dwelling in the same place and you'll be fine.

The limited inventory bothers me intensely because the game doesn't tell you when you'll need what besides the basics for fuel. There's so much trial and error there.
Ah yeah, that's good to know. Though if you land somewhere where they are aggressive, you're kinda screwed.

Yeah, the inventory management drags the experience down a bit. I've seen some ships with a lot of slots, and I assume once you upgrade your exosuit to have more slots things will get much better, but that could take quite a while.

Edit: I really hope they add co-op at some point in the future, especially after seeing Astroneer.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I will say that I was completely engrossed in the bioshock trilogy story though

Bioshock 1 is okay. 2 is redundant and 3 is retarded and so far up its own ass with misinterpretations of many worlds theory Ken Levine probably still hasn't scrubbed his cum off his fucking face

Fluvian

Banned
Bioshock 1 is okay. 2 is redundant and 3 is retarded and so far up its own ass with misinterpretations of many worlds theory Ken Levine probably still hasn't scrubbed his cum off his fucking face

He doesn't own any mirrors and everyone is to polite to go "Uh ken mate, little cum on your cheek" poor guy.

Bioshock 1 was actually pretty good imo. hard to find an unique atmosphere like this. I agree with the rest though.

FloatOn

disagree completely. each entry added to the last brilliantly.

the gameplay peaked with 2 though.

Misha

Banned
It's really weird how it seemed the people who like bioshock infinite seemed to be more vocal and now it seems to be the ones who dislike it.

FloatOn

It's really weird how it seemed the people who like bioshock infinite seemed to be more vocal and now it seems to be the ones who dislike it.

I played the whole trilogy in quick succession (I think over the span of 3 months). I was lttp on 1 and 2 so the whole thing played out for me like this cohesive masterwork.

However, Infinite was incredibly disappointing with how it handled it's gameplay. It was completely call of duty-ified and I hated it.

Misha

Banned
I always expressed a strong hatred for it.
That seems to be the common sentiment. Maybe a lot of the people who like it were more causal than enthusiast gamers? Idk
I played the whole trilogy in quick succession (I think over the span of 3 months). I was lttp on 1 and 2 so the whole thing played out for me like this cohesive masterwork.

However, Infinite was incredibly disappointing with how it handled it's gameplay. It was completely call of duty-ified and I hated it.
I definitely would like infinite more if it wasn't part of the trilogy. The step down in everything was partially negated by the characters, strong art design, and promise for an interesting plot. Halfway through when the story went off the rails it just lost me. Just sad that it had good things going for it and fell apart

Never played bioshock 2, didn't like the first one, loved the setting of Infinite. Ha

Cool. I could see a lot of people not be willing give this game that much time to open up, though. NMS is definitely not for everyone.

Ah yeah, that's good to know. Though if you land somewhere where they are aggressive, you're kinda screwed.

Yeah, the inventory management drags the experience down a bit. I've seen some ships with a lot of slots, and I assume once you upgrade your exosuit to have more slots things will get much better, but that could take quite a while.

Edit: I really hope they add co-op at some point in the future, especially after seeing Astroneer.

I must not have ever gone somewhere they were hostile. Mostly they seemed to want to make sure I wasn't messing up the planet and otherwise leave me alone.

co-op play would definitely be a boon. The more I think about it though, the more I feel like I want to give the game a second chance. I'm waiting to hear back from my mentor on whether or not she'll be able to meet tonight, so if she doesn't then I'll probably play NMS a bit more

Ceallach

I think it is a combo of the people who were initially caught up ion the hype loving it whereas now it has been deeply discounted a bunch so people who were on the fence gave it a try and realized how moronic it was. It was so paper thin and up its own ass. It was the very definition of sciolistic

there's no great Bioshock series to speak of. there's only Systemshock and Bioshock 1 as far as I'm concerned. take it from someone with a wrist-chain tattoo.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Bioshock was kinda ass at times. Too high on its own farts yet a pathetic attempt at making a training wheels version of the much superior System Shock.

The worst part about it was the senseless hype, though. There was so much noise about having people working full time on the water effects, yet they were pedestrian as hell.

I finally feel like people understand me. everyone I've met is hyping Bioshock 3 beyond belief. now I just have to find someone who doesn't think TLOU is that great and I can die happily.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I finally feel like people understand me. everyone I've met is hyping Bioshock 3 beyond belief. now I just have to find someone who doesn't think TLOU is that great and I can die happily.

I got bored after 2 hours of TLOU and never went back to the game. Is that good enough?

SHODAN appreciates your praise, insect.

giphy.gif

Ceallach

TLOU is OKAY. But I hate the hype it gets as this masterpiece when it wears its influences on its sleeves so fucking hard. Every scene from that game was taken from Children of Men, Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, I am Legend, 28 Days later, The Road, Walking Dead, Romero Movies, Day of the Triffids, etc. And like all of naughty Dogs games it is a pretty game with very fucking mundane gameplay.

TLOU is OKAY. But I hate the hype it gets as this masterpiece when it wears its influences on its sleeves so fucking hard. Every scene from that game was taken from Children of Men, Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, I am Legend, 28 Days later, The Road, Walking Dead, Romero Movies, Day of the Triffids, etc. And like all of naughty Dogs games it is a pretty game with very fucking mundane gameplay.
That's specifically what I like about Naughty Dog. They don't do anything original, they just take other stuff from other people before them and make a really good version of it. YMMV of course, but it works on me.

I must not have ever gone somewhere they were hostile. Mostly they seemed to want to make sure I wasn't messing up the planet and otherwise leave me alone.

co-op play would definitely be a boon. The more I think about it though, the more I feel like I want to give the game a second chance. I'm waiting to hear back from my mentor on whether or not she'll be able to meet tonight, so if she doesn't then I'll probably play NMS a bit more
In the planet descriptions or whatever that give you info about flora/fauna/etc., there's a sentinel listing too. When I played, I saw sentinel presence as minimal on one planet, and average on another.

One of the streams I watched had sentinel presence as aggressive. It might've actually been the guy's starting planet, but I can't remember for sure. Either way, he could barely mine anything on that planet. If I'm remembering correctly, he was attacked just from one scanning him, even though he hadn't done anything in front of it.

edit:

Here's the video. Go to 33:11.

https://youtu.be/LX6gjeewj-k

yes! it's not like I hate it but mundane describes it very well. also the heartstring-tugging felt way too obvious to me, I just couldn't get into it.

Pau

My glasses broke so I'm waiting for an eye exam. Might post pics for second opinions.

My life is so uneventful Im celebrating I'll be home alone for a full week. SMH
Having the house or apartment to yourself is definitely worth celebrating! Loud music and games all day and night! No clothes! No one to tell you not to drink coke!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom