• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
All of the swords in my collection that should be metal are, although I've never gone to a convention with any of those. Just like Halloween and costume parties. (so not Luke and Dooku's lightsabers, the Adventure Time or Minecraft swords)

I think the next costume I want to put together is Alice from Madness Returns, although it's been serious long years since I put together a full costume.
you could really pull a good alice off imo

zeemumu

Found it, Lilith. This is my favorite of her dress variations.

s-l1000.jpg

I have the Dark Souls one! I should get this. I've always been absolutely amazed by the art of this game.

Gameplay wise it's kind of mediocre, but it was worth playing through just to see the various costumes and stuff! It's so great to look at.

Oh, I did like the air hopping mechanics, though, I always thought that was more interesting than a standard double jump. It's actually inspiration for my game having multijump as opposed to double jump.

Yeah, I actually completely agree with you, but stale mechanics don't really grate on me if I'm enjoying the story or world enough.

The multi-jump works well for that game's environment, although I generally prefer platformers to have much tighter platforming. Did you have to think about scale when translating that to 2D? Because obviously in 3D you can see a lot further off than you can in 2D, so making really long jumps and knowing where you're going to land is less of a problem there.

Doesn't her outfit change depending on the zone that you're in? I remember liking the one in the mad hatter tea zone.

It does, so I'd either go with the main blue/white one or the red/black heart card one. I actually like the dollhouse one the most, but it feels a little off brand if you haven't played the game.

you could really pull a good alice off imo

Thanks! :)

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I actually completely agree with you, but stale mechanics don't really grate on me if I'm enjoying the story or world enough.

The multi-jump works well for that game's environment, although I generally prefer platformers to have much tighter platforming. Did you have to think about scale when translating that to 2D? Because obviously in 3D you can see a lot further off than you can in 2D, so making really long jumps and knowing where you're going to land is less of a problem there.

I'm really happy with how the multijump worked out in my game. You get 3 hops while in the air, standard, and each hop is shorter than a traditional jump or double jump. Since releasing the directionals causes you to fall straight down it's possible to be very precise. I've noticed new players sometimes struggling with it, but after a little practice it's easy.

There's extra depth, though, because you can effectively get 5 air hops as opposed to 3 in a given jump. The 4th is by timing some button presses perfectly (it shows a different color trail if you did the "free" one) and the 5th is by having the charge blast and releasing it straight down. There are places that can only be accessed by doing the full five jump jones.

Misha

Banned
Someone should cosplay as Bloody Mary from The Wolf Among Us

only issue is that most of the distinctive things about her is her rather than what she wears. her non-glamored form would make more sense as a cosplay unless you look like her

I haven't played The Wolf Among Us, but those costumes are cool.

I'm really happy with how the multijump worked out in my game. You get 3 hops while in the air, standard, and each hop is shorter than a traditional jump or double jump. Since releasing the directionals causes you to fall straight down it's possible to be very precise. I've noticed new players sometimes struggling with it, but after a little practice it's easy.

There's extra depth, though, because you can effectively get 5 air hops as opposed to 3 in a given jump. The 4th is by timing some button presses perfectly (it shows a different color trail if you did the "free" one) and the 5th is by having the charge blast and releasing it straight down. There are places that can only be accessed by doing the full five jump jones.

Are there a lot of bottomless pits or similarly instant-fail conditions you could fall into? Or is the usual failure condition just spending a few seconds to go back and try again? From my impressions so far, it's mostly the latter, which I think alleviates a lot of the pain in complex jump schemes. So you should be fine.

Misha

Banned
Eh, maybe.

not really a fan of the that effect when cosplaying telletale characters. but overall the look is just someone with a red streak in their hair and with an axe/revolver. its the kind of thing where you couldn't even tell the person is cosplaying

I guess if you're in a group with other people doing TWAS characters then i'd be more for it. still though it just doens't feel right

Jobbs

Banned
Worse than childbirth?

I'll have you know that I only use that expression to convey true pain.

So yes

Are there a lot of bottomless pits or similarly instant-fail conditions you could fall into? Or is the usual failure condition just spending a few seconds to go back and try again? From my impressions so far, it's mostly the latter, which I think alleviates a lot of the pain in complex jump schemes. So you should be fine.

There's no such thing as a bottomless pit in my game. It doesn't think that way. There are things you can fall into that are thorny but you can typically get back out if you have enough health.

I'll make a gif today that demonstrates meta play

I think so. Can you hear this?

nah, because I turned the volume back down to 60% where I normally have it and I can hear this Twitch stream I'm watching perfectly fine.

although to be fair I do have earbuds in for six to seven hours a day up loud enough to drown everything else out, so that can't be great for me long-term.

The volume was a little low but I ended up putting earbuds on so it wasn't a problem.

I have this problem with Game of Thrones too. They always mix the audio too low. It's probably better for dynamic range or whatever, but it means I need to watch with captions on and that's annoying.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Received results from medical check-up... everything normal, only I need to ramp up aerobic exercise to reduce my body weight. Looks like she misheard when I told her that I went from 127 kgs to 98 kgs and my weight is stable for the last year.

zeemumu

I have too much vocal fry apparently, lol.

I had to google this. I used to have an high voice at the beginning of high school then this one douche commented on how it apparently gave him the urge to punch me and that set off my irony detector to trigger puberty and deepened it to 94.7 The Wave levels.

TDM what was the name of that space strategy game that you were hyping up for days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom