• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Ugh, I haven't been this fired up in my goobergate hate since Sept 2014.

Need a palate cleanser.

Oh wait, FFXV! Yes! What a shit show!

I can't wait to not like this game.

Man, that Kingsglaive trailer looks dumb af

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Cute CG. The rest seems dumb af. Like the general outline of a story a grade schooler would write.

My literary snobbishness is coming out. I must refrain.

Nah, it's all warranted. It's seemed to me like they used words from a hat to plaster up in between the scenes.

Cute CG. The rest seems dumb af. Like the general outline of a story a grade schooler would write.

My literary snobbishness is coming out. I must refrain.

But dude, they must fight.

For a kingdom.

OF MACHINES.

or something.

<brb gotta pick up my smart watch for the summons maybe>

Final Fantasy XV&#8482; - September 30 (I know it's for Kingsglaive but I'm treating is as being under the XV umbrella marketing campaign)

I'm sick to death of trailers separating one small sentence into 5-6 supers. It's fucking dumb and it makes the entire sentence sound stupid

Edit : Grenadier, you understand me at a spiritual level.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The blatant, obscene and senseless Audi product placement made me groan IRL.

I wish I could read Audi and Squeenix's marketing docs regarding their target.

Granadier

Do

The thing

For them

To save

Them

From that

Thing over there

Or

The whole world

Will be dead

The blatant, obscene and senseless Audi product placement made me groan IRL.

I wish I could read Audi and Squeenix's marketing docs regarding their target.

Vorsprung durch Technik™

It was so out of place. I thought it was just going to be a car modeled after the R8, but once I saw the four rings I groaned too. Ugh.

FloatOn

I don't know exactly when it happened but I cannot abide turn based JRPG anymore.

I used to love games like this but I just can't do it anymore

I don't want to say I've outgrown them because that would make me sound even more like a judgmental bastard but there was certainly a cutoff point where that gameplay stopped appealing to me.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't know exactly when it happened but I cannot abide turn based JRPG anymore.

I don't want to say I've outgrown them because that would make me sound even more like a judgmental bastard but there was certainly a cutoff point where that gameplay stopped appealing to me.

I take turn based RPGs over what FF15 is doing. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Taking bets on when Lightning's cameo in XV is.
Maybe plush form in a random area.

Halcyon

I'm trying to think of how many jrpg's I've ever even played.

Evolution for Dreamcast was my first
Grandia II
Skies of Arcadia
Tales of Symphonia for Gamecube
Chrono Trigger for DS and mostly while I was in the bathroom at my old job.

That's about it. I've played maybe 2 hours of FF7 on ps3, but the resolution made that fairly difficult to get into.

I don't really like japanese things.

Granadier

Post Credits

Final Fantasy XV-2 - Finish the fight

Edit : oh shit, I don't know how I missed that post FloatOn. Happy birthday! Hope you have a swell day, man

giphy.gif

JRPGs still appeal to me mechanics wise.

But writing wise they're mostly all complete juvenile trash even by video game writing standards. They're all mainly simple and trite stories encapsulated by ~mature~ and ~adult~ trappings to lend them any shred of legitimacy. This was all great when I was 15. Now it's mostly annoying. And I'm not even saying that a simple or mindless story is always a bad thing. I'm just saying that they can't even pull that off well for the most part. Save us Persona 5.

marrec

Banned
I'm trying to think of the jRPGs I've played recently besides the Kiseki games...

And I'm coming up blank.

I play a ton of Dungeon Crawlers though, do those count?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
JRPGs still appeal to me mechanics wise.

But writing wise they're mostly all complete juvenile trash even by video game writing standards. They're all mainly simple and trite stories encapsulated by ~mature~ and ~adult~ trappings to lend them any shred of legitimacy. This was all great when I was 15. Now it's mostly annoying. And I'm not even saying that a simple or mindless story is always a bad thing. I'm just saying that they can't even pull that off well for the most part. Save us Persona 5.

Are you saying that JRPGs are the YA gaming equivalent? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

Are you saying that JRPGs are the YA gaming equivalent? ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

#NotAllYA #JustMostOfIt

The Magicians is an example of good YA. Although I wouldn't really consider it YA. And ultimately YA is nothing more than a marketing label anyway. Got a teenage protagonist? Congrats, your book is now YA.

zeemumu

My little brother is 22 today. It's freaking me out.

Your little brother is older than I am. By a few months but still older.

Those indie games where you do nothing but walk around and Telltale games are the YA equivalent. They were interesting at first but now everyone's doing them and they're starting to lose their charm.

I still need to buy Persona 3 and 4 on the PSN store before I even look at 5.

Those indie games where you do nothing but walk around and Telltale games are the YA equivalent. They were interesting at first but now everyone's doing them and they're starting to lose their charm.

Until occasionally one comes along and outdoes the progenitor of the trend.

The Red Rising trilogy wouldn't exist were it not for The Hunger Games making YA dystopian sci-fi modish, and yet the RR trilogy utterly surpasses THG in every conceivable way from world building, to characters, to plot, to prose, to general level of entertainment. Thanks, Hunger Games. You were good for something after all.

Misha

Banned
I think labeling "walking simulators" as a distinct genre is dumb. its a subset of adventure games (only semi related to current discussion)

you got:
ones with convoluted puzzles
ones that the actual gameplay is primarily through dialogue
ones where you're mostly interacting with the environment
QTE fests

though a lot of adventure games fit two of those categories (firewatch = dialogue + environment, until dawn = dialogue + QTE)

What is "YA"?

Young Adult I'd presume

zeemumu

Until occasionally one comes along and outdoes the progenitor of the trend.

The Red Rising trilogy wouldn't exist were it not for The Hunger Games making YA dystopian sci-fi modish, and yet the RR trilogy utterly surpasses THG in every conceivable way from world building, to characters, to plot, to prose, to general level of entertainment. Thanks, Hunger Games. You were good for something after all.

That's how it goes. Someone brings the genre to light, then someone else makes a better one, then people make several clones of that better one and the genre implodes, then it happens all over again. It's a pretty accurate description of the FPS genre.

WW II era to Modern era, and now we're in future era. Eventually we'll have to go to space.

YA has gone from paranormal romance to dystopian future.

Misha

Banned
okay someone explain to me why not saying "hi" to someone is rude. (or good morning etc etc)

to me its awkward af. I only do it because some people get weirdly mad at me if i don't.

the only situation where it makes sense to me is if you're trying to start a conversation

https://twitter.com/dystopianya

Still great.

That's how it goes. Someone brings the genre to light, then someone else makes a better one, then people make several clones of that better one and the genre implodes, then it happens all over again. It's a pretty accurate description of the FPS genre.

WW II era to Modern era, and now we're in future era. Eventually we'll have to go to space.

YA has gone from paranormal romance to dystopian future.

Well, I have heard rumblings the next CoD will be set in space. It's happening.

And the next YA trend is going to be paranormal romance in a dystopian sci-fi setting.

zeemumu

okay someone explain to me why not saying "hi" to someone is rude.

to me its awkward af. I only do it because some people get weirdly mad at me if i don't

It's just the way our culture is set up. If you're from a small town you say hi to everyone you see. Otherwise you mostly just reserve it for people you know or people you're stuck in a room with/have to talk to. When you don't say hi, people take it as you dismissing their presence. If you want, you can do what I do and wear earbuds virtually everywhere you go regardless of whether or not they're actually playing any music. That way when you don't say hi you can play it off and say "sorry I had my earbuds in" but most people will see that you have them in and leave you alone initially.

https://twitter.com/dystopianya

Still great.

Well, I have heard rumblings the next CoD will be set in space. It's happening.

And the next YA trend is going to be paranormal romance in a dystopian sci-fi setting.

I'd rather have a dystopian romance in a paranormal setting. Actually no, I don't. I take that back.

Halcyon

okay someone explain to me why not saying "hi" to someone is rude. (or good morning etc etc)

to me its awkward af. I only do it because some people get weirdly mad at me if i don't.

the only situation where it makes sense to me is if you're trying to start a conversation

Sometimes if it's right when I get in to work, the act of opening my mouth to say hi seems like so much of an annoying task that I get ornery about it. I see you fuckers every day. I don't particularly care about you which is why I don't have drinks with you after work. I just want coffee. Leave me be you trollish twat.

I don't have any friends.

Misha

Banned
It's just the way our culture is set up. If you're from a small town you say hi to everyone you see. Otherwise you mostly just reserve it for people you know or people you're stuck in a room with/have to talk to. When you don't say hi, people take it as you dismissing their presence. If you want, you can do what I do and wear earbuds virtually everywhere you go regardless of whether or not they're actually playing any music. That way when you don't say hi you can play it off and say "sorry I had my earbuds in" but most people will see that you have them in and leave you alone initially.
the primary offender for me is family members. I see them often enough that its abnormal to not see them so why do I need to acknowledge their presence multiple times a day?

oh and the really weird one is needing to go find them just to greet them.
Sometimes if it's right when I get in, the act of opening my mouth to say hi seems like so much of an annoying task that I get annoyed by it. I see you fuckers every day. I don't particularly care about you which is why I don't have drinks with you after work. I just want coffee. Leave me be you trollish twat.

I don't have any friends.

thats exactly how i feel

zeemumu

the primary offender for me is family members. I see them often enough that its abnormal to not see them so why do I need to acknowledge their presence multiple times a day?

Then just give a small "hey"

#Team Anti-Social

*doesn't offer hi five because that's weird*

Misha

Banned
Then just give a small "hey"

#Team Anti-Social

*doesn't offer hi five because that's weird*

I already do that. I just don't remember to do that all the time though because I don't think of it because it makes zero sense. If I could understand it then maybe I would be compelled to

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I'm really looking forward to FF XV.

But hey, I ADORE the XIII trilogy and Lightning is one of my favorite protags. I have multiple Lightning figs:p So eff the haters.

I say 'hi' to people I make eye-contact with on my way to my desk in the morning.

Only the first one is awkward because my mouth is dry from not talking since being left alone in the house and me arriving at work to croak at the person at the front desk.

Ribbit.

I enjoyed FFIII on the GameBoy, but found the plot very non-sensical along with many of the mechanics. Don't think I've played one since, though I remember friends having FF7 on whatever console that came out on and then seeing whatever one first had the stupid sword/revolver combo with flower petals fucking everywhere.

Granadier

I'm really looking forward to FF XV.

But hey, I ADORE the XIII trilogy and Lightning is one of my favorite protags. I have multiple Lightning figs:p So eff the haters.

Are/were you a fan of FF before XIII though?

I don't think there is anything blatantly wrong with the XIII trilogy unless you bring the story writing into it, but it's a direct departure from traditional Final Fantasy games.

Misha

Banned
One really annoying thing. on another forum I post on theres this guy who says hi to me when I start posting. he gets all mad if i dont' respond to him but if i do respond to him he doesn't continue talking to me. its really weird. (he does it to everyone that he doesn't hate btw)

One really annoying thing. on another forum I post on theres this guy who says hi to me when I start posting. he gets all mad if i dont' respond to him but if i do respond to him he doesn't continue talking to me. its really weird. (he does it to everyone that he doesn't hate btw)

Hi.

Turin

Banned
Just sell Square Enix to Disney already.

I expect I'll be able to enjoy XV for what it is but Square's been in arrested development for a long time. It's a bit frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom