• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has Rivers Cuomo remembered how to write good songs?

Like The White Album and EWBAITE aren't perfect albums, but they're both good to great and so much better than anything they've done in years

I don't understand

Misha

Banned

Like The White Album and EWBAITE aren't perfect albums, but they're both good to great and so much better than anything they've done in years

I don't understand

I think he always knew how to write them but he didn't think people would like them.

also the https version of this site isn't working for me

FloatOn

I don't understand

I used to be a huge weezer fan. My theory is that he has been fucking with us for the past couple of decades due to the poor initial reception of Pinkerton.

Him and the band are legitimately great musicians but I think they are huge trolls and they want to see how far they can push fans with intentionally bad songs.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Still never gonna top Fallout Boy. Why bother? (ˇヘˇ)
i kid

Misha

Banned
I am really excited for Rogue One. I'm probably overhyped at this point but I'm feeling like it will be the star wars movie I've wanted for 15+ years

Halcyon

Throwback Thursday!

ZMsIoLcl.jpg

Even my Samsung Stratosphere was trembling at what it was seeing.

Granadier

What a fucking change Halcyon. God damn.
You went from Seth Rogan to Ryan Reynolds.

👏👏👏👏👏

zeemumu

Throwback Thursday!

ZMsIoLcl.jpg

Even my Samsung Stratosphere was trembling at what it was seeing.

Looks like you've lost a lot of weight since then. Nice

I've been awake since 3AM. On the bright side, I've been using the time to reestablish a working knowledge of philosophy, because what else would you do whe. You can't sleep, right? *laughs hysterically*

Halcyon

they're unable to admit that Star Wars TFA is a few cool characters wrapped up in "HEY DID YOU REMEMBER STAR WARS?"

I just called it a letdown

I think Rogue One looks like Star Wars's attempt at a Hunger Games-ish YA movie.

Granadier

also the https version of this site isn't working for me

Same here.

they're unable to admit that Star Wars TFA is a few cool characters wrapped up in "HEY DID YOU REMEMBER STAR WARS?"

I think this is the wrong approach. Everyone is open to have their own opinions, so trying to force them to admit your interpretation is right is just as bad as them saying your opinion is wrong.

Misha

Banned
Did he lie?

(I feel this is apposite to the overly defensive nerds discussion.)
its not just defensive, its tribal. If you say you enjoy the original trilogy then people hate on you. If you say TFA was disappointing then people hate on you. Its like the entire culture coalesces around an opinion and repeats it to eachother till its all they know (which yes is what he said :p)
I think Rogue One looks like Star Wars's attempt at a Hunger Games-ish YA movie.

It very much reminds me of a lot of EU stuff I read when I was a kid.

I think this is the wrong approach. Everyone is open to have their own opinions, so trying to force them to admit your interpretation is right is just as bad as them saying your opinion is wrong.

that was a joke. the spoiler text is reality and actually what I think. I didn't mind the movie but was hoping it would have been much better written

Halcyon

It very much reminds me of a lot of EU stuff I read when I was a kid.

I'm fine with it. Halcyon comes from Keiran Halcyon, Corran Horn's Jedi name that he used when he was training with Luke in I,Jedi. The Rogue Squadron books are my jam.

My aol online username at one point was Rouge_Nine because I didn't know how to spell Rogue.

Jobbs

Banned
I think the "A Star Wars Story" nonsense added onto the title is so fucking stupid...

I strongly approve of Felicity Jones, though, and Donnie Yen is cool too.

That's some next level lazy there Jobbs. How difficult is it to close your browser when you start to get sleepy?

TV on the... fuckin kids watch shows on their PC? come on. Couch, man. Couch! Once you're my age, couches are traps you may not get back out of

Granadier

that was a joke. the spoiler text is reality and actually what I think. I didn't mind the movie but was hoping it would have been much better written

My bad. It's still pretty early here.

Misha

Banned
I think the "A Star Wars Story" nonsense added onto the title is so fucking stupid...

I strongly approve of Felicity Jones, though, and Donnie Yen is cool too.

wasn't it previously going to be something like:
Star Wars Anthologies: Rogue One?

but yeah the casting is a large part of why I'm excited.
I'm fine with it. Halcyon comes from Keiran Halcyon, Corran Horn's Jedi name that he used when he was training with Luke in I,Jedi. The Rogue Squadron books are my jam.

My aol online username at one point was Rouge_Nine because I didn't know how to spell Rogue.
I probably read a lot more prequel EU stuff than you :p I can't remember half the books and stuff I've read but I did like the stuff with obi wan being an apprentice and anakin and the boba fett books (even though I still don't think boba fett should have been in the prequels)
My bad. It's still pretty early here.
yeah it was the whole pretend to be more upset than you actually are gag :p

zeemumu

To be fair, it didn't have to be amazing. They just had to prove that they could do the job, which they did, for the most part. We've gone so long without a good Star Wars film that it was a welcome sight.

Misha

Banned
To be fair, it didn't have to be amazing. They just had to prove that they could do the job, which they did, for the most part. We've gone so long without a good Star Wars film that it was a welcome sight.

I think revenge of the sith was better and that TFA is comparable to phantom menace so I REALLY don't share that sentiment :p

Jobbs

Banned
wasn't it previously going to be something like:
Star Wars Anthologies: Rogue One?

I dunno, but as long as a movie is at least semi-competent, I'll gladly watch it just for having castmembers I personally like. I'm like, friggin in love with Felicity Jones, and Donnie Yen pretty much always manages to be entertaining.
(Yes, Donnie's running the Ocarina Of Time scripting that causes the enemies to wait their turn to be killed, but whatever, just go with it)

Have any of you guys seen No Escape? It's so good. It's the best zombie movie ever and there are no actual zombies in it. + Lake Bell.

I'm going to be sick of star wars movies by the end of next year.

The least they could do is throw us a bone with a big budget KOTOR netflix series. Season 1: KOTOR, Season 2: KOTOR 2, Season 3: The Quest To Ignore TOR And Do Something Else

Basically my view, it was exactly what it needed to be. Perhaps overly safe, but a "look, it's like the OT and not the PT, we get it" statement kind of thing

I think revenge of the sith was better and that TFA is comparable to phantom menace so I REALLY don't share that sentiment :p

Let's all say our opinions that make nerds angry

I think the Amazing Spider-Man films (both of them) are better than the Raimi Spider-Man films

Also Lord of the Rings is unbearable dull. Just so boring.

Granadier

The least they could do is throw us a bone with a big budget KOTOR netflix series. Season 1: KOTOR, Season 2: KOTOR 2, Season 3: The Quest To Ignore TOR And Do Something Else

This would be amazing.

Misha

Banned

KOTOR would be amazing.
Let's all say our opinions that make nerds angry

I think the Amazing Spider-Man films (both of them) are better than the Raimi Spider-Man films
I also share that opinion I think.

Jobbs

Banned
I think Attack of the Clones is easily the worst Star Wars thing.

I grew up loving Star Wars. We had an ESB VHS that I literally wore out from watching so much. Star Wars was friggin everything.

There aren't words bad enough in the tongues of men or elves or anything else to describe the prequels. They get almost everything wrong that can be gotten wrong. I've never seen a film maker more profoundly miss the mark. I have to imagine that whatever was good about the original trilogy was the result of other people around George Lucas.

The only two SW movies that I actually think are good films are The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens. ANH doesn't hold up very well and ROTJ suffered pretty badly from time constraints (the fuckin horrible matte paintings...) and George being apparently given too much control (ewoks). That said, it did feature a very strong space battle sequence and the story resolution between Luke and Vader and the Emperor was all pretty good.

Jobbs

Banned
*high five*

I haven't seen the non-Raimi spidermens. Are they worth seeing?

I didn't particularly like Raimi 1 or 3. I mostly just liked 2. I thought Dock Ock was great, and the whole thing just worked really well. 3 was pretty awful, and by that point it became apparent Raimi just wanted to make a big joke of it and see if he could get away with it.

I feel hesitant to see the Andrew Garfield ones because they're already defunct. They're starting over with Spiderman yet again. The hell is that?

marrec

Banned
I ain't complaining about the pace of Star Wars movies. We need more Space Opera movies in theaters pls.

Also TFA was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom