• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't care about the Star Wars universe (except for the KOTOR games) but I have made the decision to watch TFA (sometime) to see if I'd actually enjoy it. I'll let everyone know whenever I do this.

(And then I'll proceed to ream it as low tier sci-fi trash. 😈)

Misha

Banned
I haven't seen the non-Raimi spidermens. Are they worth seeing?

I didn't particularly like Raimi 1 or 3. I mostly just liked 2. I thought Dock Ock was great, and the whole thing just worked really well. 3 was pretty awful, and by that point it became apparent Raimi just wanted to make a big joke of it and see if he could get away with it.

I feel hesitant to see the Andrew Garfield ones because they're already defunct. They're starting over with Spiderman yet again. The hell is that?

1 Is a somewhat straight forward origin story where he acts more like spiderman acts than macguire ever did.

2 is just plain silly but depending on what you're looking for that could be a good thing. I found it fun personally

I ain't complaining about the pace of Star Wars movies. We need more Space Opera movies in theaters pls.

agreed on the space operas. GotG was a start, now lets see other ones that aren't star wars/trek

The Star Wars film universe is one of my favourite film universes ever, like just how everything feels and the design and stuff

Weirdly though, I have never been able to bring myself to care about anything outside of the films. EU stuff, comics, Clone Wars etc.? Really don't give a toss. Might as well not exist to me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
jBkFfNH.jpg
Groce.

So groce.

Halcyon

I grew up loving Star Wars. We had an ESB VHS that I literally wore out from watching so much. Star Wars was friggin everything.

There aren't words bad enough in the tongues of men or elves or anything else to describe the prequels. They get almost everything wrong that can be gotten wrong. I've never seen a film maker more profoundly miss the mark. I have to imagine that whatever was good about the original trilogy was the result of other people around George Lucas.

The only two SW movies that I actually think are good films are The Empire Strikes Back and The Force Awakens. ANH doesn't hold up very well and ROTJ suffered pretty badly from time constraints (the fuckin horrible matte paintings...) and George being apparently given too much control (ewoks). That said, it did feature a very strong space battle sequence and the story resolution between Luke and Vader and the Emperor was all pretty good.

I became self-aware probably around the time Jedi came out on Beta-Max so I had that movie and all the toys as the introduction to Star Wars. I grew up watching and loving all of them equally for their own reasons.

I have very fond memories of this thing specifically:

533e7d1d97331e91b067c4e283849aed.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
What's wrong with me that I didn't like GOTG very much? It felt too cramped. Still better than The Avengers, though, which I really just don't like.

I really do like TFA, as I said I htink it's the second best SW film behind Empire -- And I liked it more after my second viewing at home.

I became self-aware probably around the time Jedi came out on Beta-Max so I had that movie and all the toys as the introduction to Star Wars. I grew up watching and loving all of them equally for their own reasons.

I have very fond memories of this thing specifically:

533e7d1d97331e91b067c4e283849aed.jpg

I've never known anyone with a beta max player.

1 Is a somewhat straight forward origin story where he acts more like spiderman acts than macguire ever did.

2 is just plain silly but depending on what you're looking for that could be a good thing. I found it fun personally

do I need to see yet another origin story.. hmm.. especially since there'll be another origin story just around the corner because they fuckin changed him again

zeemumu

What's wrong with me that I didn't like GOTG very much? It felt too cramped. Still better than The Avengers, though, which I really just don't like.

I really do like TFA, as I said I htink it's the second best SW film behind Empire -- And I liked it more after my second viewing at home.

Maybe galactic Marvel isn't your thing?

marrec

Banned
The Star Wars film universe is one of my favourite film universes ever, like just how everything feels and the design and stuff

Weirdly though, I have never been able to bring myself to care about anything outside of the films. EU stuff, comics, Clone Wars etc.? Really don't give a toss. Might as well not exist to me.
Probably don't wanna hear this, but Star Wars Rebels is pretty boss.

Halcyon

I just saw this post from the Rogue One thread and I almost shit myself considering the posts I made a few minutes ago:

I wonder if the "I Rebel" line is some sort of homage to "I Jedi". Corran Horn was a member of Rouge Sqaudron.

Me from 1997 is posting again.

Misha

Banned
I saw ANH and ESB in theaters when they were re-released.

90% of the stuff I had in my room were star wars stuff when I was little. star wars sheets, two movie posters, legos, figures, a height chart, a few other posters, and then later some promotional stuff from clone wars. I currently have the record from ANH in my room

I loved GotG but I'm a Marvel whore. But yeah, the pacing's a bit weird. Especially at the beginning, it does a load of jumping around until they escape the Kiln, but I think it normalises a bit after that.

I'm probably the same on the Star Wars ranking there though

Jobbs

Banned
I just saw this post from the Rogue One thread and I almost shit myself considering the posts I made a few minutes ago:

Me from 1997 is posting again.

didja ever read the Zahn novels? The badguy in those had these animals he took around with him that caused an anti force bubble around them, making him immune to jediz.

I loved GotG but I'm a Marvel whore. But yeah, the pacing's a bit weird. Especially at the beginning, it does a load of jumping around until they escape the Kiln, but I think it normalises a bit after that.

I'm probably the same on the Star Wars ranking there though

My favorite comic stuff growing up was X-Men.. And while the 2000 era X-Men movies weren't completely terrible, I still feel like I've never gotten the X-Men movie I wanted

zeemumu

I saw ANH and ESB in theaters when they were re-released.

90% of the stuff I had in my room were star wars stuff when I was little. star wars sheets, two movie posters, legos, figures, a height chart, a few other posters, and then later some promotional stuff from clone wars. I currently have the record from ANH in my room

I was that way with Disney stuff. Saw The Lion King when it was re-released (and possibly when it was first in theaters but I'd be too young to remember), had Lion King bed sheets, Disney pictures hanging on my walls, etc.

I remember getting hype about Kit Fisto when Clone Wars came out. I was the kid running around with a Kit Fisto action figure while people would ask "Who?" and I'd be like "B-but Kit Fisto though!"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The Star Wars universe is one of the most complex yet consistent you could probably find in terms of visuals. I hated the sequels and the way everything looked, but most designs were stunning. Star Wars art books are such a joy to read.

Probably don't wanna hear this, but Star Wars Rebels is pretty boss.

I tried watching it, but...eehhh. I really don't like how it looks, and it's got the same problem as everything else where it feels like it's just latching on and it's really part of the same universe, if that makes sense?

Misha

Banned
do I need to see yet another origin story.. hmm.. especially since there'll be another origin story just around the corner because they fuckin changed him again
well if you have any interest in the lizard or gwen stacy it would probably be worth it cause I doubt we'll be seeing them again for awhile
GotG was riotous and the best superhero movie not called Deadpool.

I know this is a pointless distinction to make, but aside from being in the same universe and being based on comics, I don't really think GotG should be considered a super hero movie on its own

I tried watching it, but...eehhh. I really don't like how it looks, and it's got the same problem as everything else where it feels like it's just latching on and it's really part of the same universe, if that makes sense?

the voice directing in both of those shows is really weird and don't help with that feeling.

Halcyon

didja ever read the Zahn novels? The badguy in those had these animals he took around with him that caused an anti force bubble around them, making him immune to jediz.

I played and designed MUD's with the username Thrawn for quite some time. I've read most of the good earlier EU stuff, but I kept up mostly just with Zahn and Stackpole.

My favorite comic stuff growing up was X-Men.. And while the 2000 era X-Men movies weren't completely terrible, I still feel like I've never gotten the X-Men movie I wanted

In the 90's I was in love with Wolverine and Spawn. I just loved the art. I also really loved Batman/Superman.

Imagine my delight when this happened:

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I know this is a pointless distinction to make, but aside from being in the same universe and being based on comics, I don't really think GotG should be considered a super hero movie on its own
I'd argue that half of the team is pretty super.

zeemumu

Male. The Jedi Exile is canonically female. I follow the KOTOR 2 Scorchy LP canon of it being the other way around though. Long live Jedi Jesus!

Ah okay. I always got mixed up because of that dialogue option at the beginning of KOTOR 2 where you can claim that Revan was female.

Fisto IS a great name. I mean, even Bethesda knows as much.

He's the only one of the 3 jedi who went with Mace Windu who didn't get immediately murdered in the 1st second

Ah okay. I always got mixed up because of that dialogue option at the beginning of KOTOR 2 where you can claim that Revan was female.

That's something KOTOR 2 does - your character is not an amnesiac, so much exposition takes the form of dialogue options for the player - the character of the Jedi Exile knows much more than the player does. There are moments where rather than "remember" the story, your dialogue options decide what history is. You can choose whether Revan was male or female. The other main one off the top of my head is when you're describing your Jedi Lightsaber, you have a choice to describe it as blue, green, purple etc, and what you describe it as in that dialogue controls what it ends up being in cut-scenes and after you retrieve your saber crystal.

Halcyon

Kit Fisto is the third shittiest jedi of all time, just behind these two

FlamboyantAdorableEarwig.gif

Dedicate lives to jedi arts and swordsmanship.. Can't block or dodge even one slow ass swing

eh hem

*pushes up glasses*

Actually sir, I'll have you know the Kit Fist Force-FX Removable Blade Lightsaber released in 2012 by the Hasbro company is one of their highest quality LED lightsabers. The pommel feels good in the hand, it is their brightest green LED string blade, and the speakers are very loud and crisp.

The hilt has an eye-pleasing machined aluminum appearance and feels great. There's no plastic. The black rubber rings recessed within the grooves are a nice touch, and I am glad they didn't cheap out there and paint them on. It's classy and not overly "fat" like the Mace or Dooku editions. I'd say it's on a par with the Obi TPM. The removable blade is one of the more easier of this line and lends to the innovative overall design of this saber.

And it totally doesn't look like a giant metal penis dildo.

02.jpg

zeemumu

That's something KOTOR 2 does - your character is not an amnesiac, so much exposition takes the form of dialogue options for the player - the character of the Jedi Exile knows much more than the player does. There are moments where rather than "remember" the story, your dialogue options decide what history is. You can choose whether Revan was male or female. The other main one off the top of my head is when you're describing your Jedi Lightsaber, you have a choice to describe it as blue, green, purple etc, and what you describe it as in that dialogue controls what it ends up being in cut-scenes and after you retrieve your saber crystal.

I'm starting to realize that my Revan looked suspiciously like Finn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom