• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up with a family that foisted religion on me. My dad believes in God and that's about the end of it. I doubt he'd even care if I told him I'm an atheist.

I don't think my parents foisted religion on me. Well maybe a little, but they also made it pretty clear that if I was going to be a Christian then it needed to be my choice, not theirs. My main problem with church nowadays—correctness or accuracy notwithstanding—is that it all feels the same. I'm not going to hear something new and enlightening, just more of the same and the preacher talking to people as if they still don't get it or that they've forgotten a lot as time goes on. At a certain point it becomes a bit ridiculous to try to mine more information out of the Bible and even the fresh new ways of interpreting information become old hat.

I don't know. Maybe people actually are just that stupid/forgetful and I have too much faith in them. In any case, Easter morning is a family event so I'll be chided for missing out on family time, not for abandoning the faith.

I'll never understand this. I don't mean church/religion -- I mean, I don't understand that either, but at least I understand having an identity. I understand being the person who does god stuff and goes to church constantly. That's who some people are.

What I don't understand is having an identity.. But only on Easter sunday. The rest of the year? Fuck it.

Those people I don't understand at all. You think God exists and it matters to go, like, worship him -- But it only matters every once in a while. Huh?

(I'm not saying that's who you or your family are -- I have no clue -- But a lot of people are like that and you made me think of it)

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Nor do I understand slavish devotion to church attendance (unless explicitly called for by the religion in question, which protestant Christianity does not). But I think the hypothetical you're putting out is less common than it seems. More likely people who only go on Christmas and Easter are looking for a hook or a spark to finally get them (back) into the game.

I've just seen this and it makes me sad (I was too distracted by Symph's bad Seinfeld opinions)

I mean there's just so much good stuff from before the 90s, hell my favourite film is 10 years older than me

See, I disagree. I think film as a medium is only getting better and better, and I think it's overly cynical to believe or pretend otherwise, that nothing will ever be as good as before. Television especially has improved in the last decade compared to everything it used to be. I also find the terrible fashions of the 80s and 90s super distracting and off-putting.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think my parents foisted religion on me. Well maybe a little, but they also made it pretty clear that if I was going to be a Christian then it needed to be my choice, not theirs. My main problem with church nowadays—correctness or accuracy notwithstanding—is that it all feels the same. I'm not going to hear something new and enlightening, just more of the same and the preacher talking to people as if they still don't get it or that they've forgotten a lot as time goes on. At a certain point it becomes a bit ridiculous to try to mine more information out of the Bible and even the fresh new ways of interpreting information become old hat.

I don't know. Maybe people actually are just that stupid/forgetful and I have too much faith in them. In any case, Easter morning is a family event so I'll be chided for missing out on family time, not for abandoning the faith.

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Nor do I understand slavish devotion to church attendance (unless explicitly called for by the religion in question, which protestant Christianity does not). But I think the hypothetical you're putting out is less common than it seems. More likely people who only go on Christmas and Easter are looking for a hook or a spark to finally get them (back) into the game.

See, I disagree. I think film as a medium is only getting better and better, and I think it's overly cynical to believe or pretend otherwise, that nothing will ever be as good as before. Television especially has improved in the last decade compared to everything it used to be. I also find the terrible fashions of the 80s and 90s super distracting and off-putting.

OH there's no question that a lot of people are like that. I was one of the regular church people growing up, and on Easter Sunday and Christmas Eve there would also be a super duper attendance full of people I never or rarely saw. Tons of strangers.

Re. fashions I think it depends. Some aspects of 80s fashion are awesome, IMO, and indeed have sorta crept into current trends. I'm watching The Americans and I think some of the early 80s stuff is so cute.

People don't seem to have the monster bushes that they would have, though, in the 80s (a lot of virtual nudity). That's one aspect of the past I can't warm up to. I think about monster bushes and I gag.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Ahhh, now, wouldn't you like it if someone dressed in Cobain's threads?

OH there's no question that a lot of people are like that. I was one of the regular church people growing up, and on Easter Sunday and Christmas Eve there would also be a super duper attendance full of people I never or rarely saw. Tons of strangers.

I'm not denying a swell in attendance, I'm questioning the motive. How many of those are "this is as much effort as I need to show to keep ticking the Christian box" and how many are "maybe this time it will be different"? The latter is easier for me to understand than the former.

Re. fashions I think it depends. Some aspects of 80s fashion are awesome, IMO, and indeed have sorta crept into current trends. I'm watching The Americans and I think some of the early 80s stuff is so cute.

People don't seem to have the monster bushes that they would have, though, in the 80s (a lot of virtual nudity). That's one aspect of the past I can't warm up to. I think about monster bushes and I gag.

Ahhh, now, wouldn't you like it if someone dressed in Cobain's threads?

Of course, that's the problem with generalizing. I like how rockstars dress a lot. Some other sects from that era as well. But mostly I think it's gross looking, especially the women's stuff. So much of it was about making women appear less like women, which I can kind of understand from a feminist view but it's ultimately super flawed. Women should be able to maintain equality without dressing like a square-shouldered, flat-butt, straight-legged, short-haired man.

I bet I've seen more old movies than you have. I grew up watching tons of movies. I've seen more black and white movies than you've seen color movies.

Try me

I mean I don't disagree with that at all, anyone who takes a position like "All new stuff is shit" is being narrow-minded and often pretty elitist. However to write off older films as well I feel is a massive shame, especially as there are certain things which have been lost over the years. Especially in comedy, there's very rarely films like The Philadelphia Story were in where so much of the comedy just came from this really fast, witty dialogue. Or slapstick, as I was saying in one of the old threads - there haven't been, that I know of, any films recently where one character will a decent chunk of time trying really hard to do something simple and just slowly fucking it up in increasingly absurd ways.

I dunno. I mean this is just me, I grew up on Laurel & Hardy so I have quite a high tolerance to old stuff I guess

Jobbs

Banned

I mean... I've pretty much seen most notable (and many unnotable) movies between the 30s and 60s.. For example, I've seen this multiple times. I remember some of the characters were played by famous actors but were under heavy makeup. At the end credits we saw them ripping the makeup off for the amazing reveal.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
But God is sooo important, he needs our worship sooo much (which is just fucking creepy when you think about it), so we're going to go to that extreme measure of fucking worshiping somebody... But only like twice a year. Having the mindset that God exists and demands our worship is already requiring that you make a pretty big leap of faith and have some pretty strong feelings about it. It's weird.
This used to get me, too, which is why I left it behind for a while. Somewhere along the way I realized that the concept of "God" is a very human invention based on human understanding. But we do, as humans, desire something inherently good. When we see something that brings us joy, something that reflects beauty, something that saves us from suffering, something that, in some way or another, brings goodness into our lives - we feel good, happy, and fulfilled in some way or another. I personally think that all good things are a reflection of the true God, the source of all goodness, one that is beyond human understanding but one that does definitely exist, not only as an abstract form or deity but as something very real and prevalent in our earthly lives. The Hebrey/Christian God is, IMO, real, but so many people don't understand who he really is. Worship, too, is something much more natural than we're led to believe. It has such a negative connotation these days - people think of things like the worship of Kim Jong or Hitler. But we worship things no matter what - games we love, sports teams we love, celebrities we love, memories we love, people we love. We hang up posters of things we like in our rooms. It's the same as hanging up a Cross, although almost nobody does so with the same genuineness that they do with other things these days. The source of all Goodness, or God, deserves this natural, human worship because it's something we like to and are wired to do.

I'm not trying to preach my religion here, but as long as we're on the topic, I thought I'd share my two cents. To me, God = Love and Goodness, which we're all inherently hardwired to believe in and follow. The Christian church follows this God, although its worship is frequently limited and even subverted by its own followers.

Jobbs

Banned
This used to get me, too, which is why I left it behind for a while. Somewhere along the way I realized that the concept of "God" is a very human invention based on human understanding. But we do, as humans, desire something inherently good. When we see something that brings us joy, something that reflects beauty, something that saves us from suffering, something that, in some way or another, brings goodness into our lives - we feel good, happy, and fulfilled in some way or another. I personally think that all good things are a reflection of the true God, the source of all goodness, one that is beyond human understanding but one that does definitely exist, not only as an abstract form or deity but as something very real and prevalent in our earthly lives. The Hebrey/Christian God is, IMO, real, but so many people don't understand who he really is. Worship, too, is something much more natural than we're led to believe. It has such a negative connotation these days - people think of things like the worship of Kim Jong or Hitler. But we worship things no matter what - games we love, sports teams we love, celebrities we love, memories we love, people we love. We hang up posters of things we like in our rooms. It's the same as hanging up a Cross, although almost nobody does so with the same genuineness that they do with other things these days. The source of all Goodness, or God, deserves this natural, human worship because it's something we like to and are wired to do.

I'm not trying to preach my religion here, but as long as we're on the topic, I thought I'd share my two cents. To me, God = Love and Goodness, which we're all inherently hardwired to believe in and follow. The Christian church follows this God, although its worship is frequently limited and even subverted by its own followers.

I'd rather not debate it either, but at some point critical thinking took over and I couldn't build my life around something without facts or evidence, and I couldn't make holy a book that is full of evil (and contradictions and a lot of other things most christians choose to ignore or very loosely interpret). If I had to be sworn in to testify, I wouldn't put my hand on the bible. They'd have to do whatever it is they do to people who refuse to do so.

I think the idea that morality can't come from us, but must come from religion, is dangerous

Misha

Banned
I grew up going to church at least 3 times a week... Any more and it starts to become impractical. So you can reasonably say -- I have to have a life away from church too.

But God is sooo important, he needs our worship sooo much (which is just fucking creepy when you think about it), so we're going to go to that extreme measure of fucking worshiping somebody... But only like twice a year. Having the mindset that God exists and demands our worship is already requiring that you make a pretty big leap of faith and have some pretty strong feelings about it. It's weird.

Depends on why and how people need to worship. To them it might be more of a celebration of his birth/death and the worship is done at home (if they even believe in that)

I mean most people don't think in those ways and actually do feel guilty or just don't care but believe it should be more often but twice a year could be a valid interpretation depending on how they see it

HOLY SHIT THE MOST EVIL FUCKER IN THE GOVERNMENT HAS RESIGNED WHAT THE FUCK

I mean... I've pretty much seen most notable (and many unnotable) movies between the 30s and 60s.. For example, I've seen this multiple times. I remember some of the characters were played by famous actors but were under heavy makeup. At the end credits we saw them ripping the makeup off for the amazing reveal.

...yeah ok fair enough

Risgroo

I'm sorry, but schlocky horror movies from the 80's and early 90's are. the. best.

Yass
220px-Leprechaunposter.jpg

220px-Wishmaster.jpg

Trashraiser, Trash, The Gates Of Trash, and... Er, Trash Trash.
The Trash The Trash The Trash?
Although Pre-80's horror, House is the fucking best
This is truth

There were some people in Manchester who would do small, 30/40 people screenings of B movies in pubs and stuff, which is when I first saw House. I miss those, the atmosphere was incredible. Also saw Miami Connection, which was also amazing.

Jobbs

Banned
My niece's birthday was on st. patricks, but I won't see her until the weekend.

Here's most the haul (this isn't the gamer niece, this is the other one and she's big into this stuff)

zn6Ffew.png

The MLP boxes are blind boxes, which is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom