• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon

I just watched sound of music again a week ago, its even better than I remembered it

I saw it for the first time a few years ago. I took my grandma to a digitally remastered version at the theater.

My lord, that movie has beautiful cinematography. A little long and convoluted but the music is great, and it's about Nazis and stuff so I actually enjoyed it(edit: not because it has nazis, but because it's about ww2 which I find interesting)

So things like Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, Christmas Movies, Disney classics. None of those either?

No, not anymore, mostly no, and only a couple, respectively. I can recognize their significance and craftsmanship, so I'm not meaning to put them down, I just don't like the musty flavor. Maybe I'm a casualty of there being too much new media produced today.

Somnia

No, not anymore, mostly no, and only a couple, respectively. I can recognize their significance and craftsmanship, so I'm not meaning to put them down, I just don't like the musty flavor. Maybe I'm a casualty of there being too much new media produced today.

Hey you like what you like!

Plus as you said there is a ton of media being produced now and a lot of good media (and bad) too.

Are you into horror movies? I've noticed fans of those typically are able to go back and watch old horror movies even if they don't like watching other older movies.

Misha

Banned
I saw it for the first time a few years ago. I took my grandma to a digitally remastered version at the theater.

My lord, that movie has beautiful cinematography. A little long and convoluted but the music is great, and it's about Nazis and stuff so I actually enjoyed it(edit: not because it has nazis, but because it's about ww2 which I find interesting)

well it is a true story so the whole nun marries admiral with a bunch of kids and they sing and stuff and run away from nazis is real life(though yeah the specifics were very much changed. in a way they're a bit more believable since they don't have them meeting hitler)

I actually went to school with the granddaughter of one of the children for a year. they still do concerts and stuff all over the place as a family

Hey you like what you like!

Plus as you said there is a ton of media being produced now and a lot of good media (and bad) too.

Are you into horror movies? I've noticed fans of those typically are able to go back and watch old horror movies even if they don't like watching other older movies.

If it has more of a psychological framing, yes! If it's just trying to shock you with how gross it can be with blood, guts and dismemberment, then no I stay far away.

And to add some dimension to my earlier angst, I don't hate all old things. I love reading plays, reading old literature, and listening to classic/hard rock.

Somnia

If it has more of a psychological framing, yes! If it's just trying to shock you with how gross it can be with blood, guts and dismemberment, then no I stay far away.

And to add some dimension to my earlier angst, I don't hate all old things. I love reading plays, reading old literature, and listening to classic/hard rock.

*high fives* (for the bolded)

If you haven't seen them give The Shining, Flatliners and It Follows a watch... first two are older, but really good.

I'll never tire of The Wizard of Oz.

Very important question.... what kind?

Shiraz.

shiraz.jpg

I don't like scratchy old recordings— I love acoustic blues, but I was raised on CDs and just don't like listening to recordings from the 20s or 30s. Some of the remastered/restored stuff is OK, but there's not enough of it.

Would anyone be up for making a FakeGAF Steam group?

Don't we have one? Or is that a RealPicGAF group?

I'm honestly trying to sneak out but all my supervisors are here

Just tell them you're going up to the mountains and waggle your eyebrows.

zeemumu

I'm gonna try my hand at making puttanesca sometime in the next few days. If A Series of Unfortunate Events is to be believed, that doesn't require that many ingredients to make, and I've never tried it before. Should be fun.

Does anyone have any other cool recipes for me to try?

I got no plans for Easter tbh.

I only had plans for the beginning and end of my spring break. yesterday was technically the beginning with Universal Studios after my last final and at the end of next week I'm going to Wondercon. Doing that last one on my own, though.

Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up with a family that foisted religion on me. My dad believes in God and that's about the end of it. I doubt he'd even care if I told him I'm an atheist.

Misha

Banned
Man, I'm glad I didn't grow up with a family that foisted religion on me. My dad believes in God and that's about the end of it. I doubt he'd even care if I told him I'm an atheist.

My mom essentially admitted to be an agnostic theist/spiritualist and my dad's only in it for the tradition yet they both follow the standard christian interpretations of things. I'll never understand

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

My parents are like that too. I only went to church with a cousin just to eat after the service.
invoker-laugh.gif

I don't know what it's a metric of except that I hold an intrinsic distaste for movies that are older than me. Basically my taste is so formed on modern sensibilities that the only old movies I can enjoy in full are Star Wars. There might be a handful of others but if so I'm forgetting them.

I liked Silence of the Lambs. Except for a few parts, it doesn't wear its age on its sleeve, and it was obviously a brilliant movie to begin with. Plus I love lore about psychopathy and insane asylums.

I've just seen this and it makes me sad (I was too distracted by Symph's bad Seinfeld opinions)

I mean there's just so much good stuff from before the 90s, hell my favourite film is 10 years older than me

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I grew up VERY strongly Catholic, wanting to enter the priesthood. I gave it up in college (priests can't get married? WTF ABORT ABORT)

I went back to it after an extremely traumatic experience. Choosing it of your own accord is so liberating. My parents were really liberal about it, and always said I could believe whatever I wanted. Turns out it was Catholicism all along.

A lot of people I know hate religion because of how their parents and society framed it for them, which is a shame.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Interview went well!

I got semi offered the internship. I'm gonna wait a bit and see if any other oppurtunities come through.
Congrats!

Jobbs

Banned
Watching old stuff is creepy. Wizard of Oz blows.

Nope. Gonna wake up super early and go sit in the horrible sun for a church service with my family so they don't castigate me. I'm putting that out of sight and out of mind for as long as I can, thank you very much.

I'll never understand this. I don't mean church/religion -- I mean, I don't understand that either, but at least I understand having an identity. I understand being the person who does god stuff and goes to church constantly. That's who some people are.

What I don't understand is having an identity.. But only on Easter sunday. The rest of the year? Fuck it.

Those people I don't understand at all. You think God exists and it matters to go, like, worship him -- But it only matters every once in a while. Huh?

(I'm not saying that's who you or your family are -- I have no clue -- But a lot of people are like that and you made me think of it)

Misha

Banned
Watching old stuff is creepy. Wizard of Oz blows.

I'll never understand this. I don't mean church/religion -- I mean, I don't understand that either, but at least I understand having an identity. I understand being the person who does god stuff and goes to church constantly. That's who some people are.

What I don't understand is having an identity.. But only on Easter sunday. The rest of the year? Fuck it.

Those people I don't understand at all. You think God exists and it matters to go, like, worship him -- But it only matters every once in a while. Huh?

(I'm not saying that's who you or your family are -- I have no clue -- But a lot of people are like that and you made me think of it)
Who says they don't worship? Once a week is an arbitrary time period anyway, he only matters every once in awhile too if you do it that way. Why not go to church every day?

Jobbs

Banned
Who says they don't worship? Once a week is an arbitrary time period anyway, he only matters every once in awhile too if you do it that way. Why not go to church every day?

I grew up going to church at least 3 times a week... Any more and it starts to become impractical. So you can reasonably say -- I have to have a life away from church too.

But God is sooo important, he needs our worship sooo much (which is just fucking creepy when you think about it), so we're going to go to that extreme measure of fucking worshiping somebody... But only like twice a year. Having the mindset that God exists and demands our worship is already requiring that you make a pretty big leap of faith and have some pretty strong feelings about it. It's weird.

You're creepy

This conversation is making me think that I need to rewatch the Pink Panther films because god they're great. Peter Sellers was so good

I bet I've seen more old movies than you have. I grew up watching tons of movies. I've seen more black and white movies than you've seen color movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom