• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also France is, of course, the largest anime market in the world outside of Japan. Those lucky devils.

Well we do have some problems on some releases quality. Too many anime don't have blu-ray releases , except the "big ones" , their languages options are also lacking ee if it get better each year but we do have some work to do

cajunator

Banned
I think you could connect it to a social issue, namely the continuing extension of adolescence, but this isn't the right place to get into a discussion on that.

I will say I often prefer straightforward, innocent children's stories to the exaggerated testosterone-fueled teenage fantasies that sometimes pass for "mature". Why is being "adult" associated with being darker and edgier? That's a pretty twisted way of looking at things.

I agree. I might love to squee and have fun all the itme, but I can also be very mature when it involves serious issues. At work Im trusted to manage 8 million dollars worth of equipment and close to 40 drivers not including the fuel on the trucks, so I have a lot of adult responsibility, yet I will never EVER stop enjoying the lighter side of things. I dont need dark grittiness in my entertainment all the time to consider it mature entertainment.

I just had the sudden urge to play Catherine just by looking at this.

Same. I think it just has the same kind of whimsical feeling as the Catherine disc.

Jarmel

Banned
So either 4chan or I misunderstood something in the recent KNK episode.
When Mirai responds positively that was her plan all along, I thought it was referencing her decision after crying in the tub. Some people on 4chan seem to understand it that from the very beginning of the anime, she was hired/brought in to kill Akky.

duckroll

So either 4chan or I misunderstood something in the recent KNK episode.
When Mirai responds positively that was her plan all along, I thought it was referencing her decision after crying in the tub. Some people on 4chan seem to understand it that from the very beginning of the anime, she was hired/brought in to kill Akky.

There are two sides gunning for Beyond the Boundary. Izumi is likely working for the head of her family, the old man is probably the Nase patriarch. Maybe he's immortal too. Fujima works for the Society and they might be under control of another super Youmu, judging from what he takes orders from. Izumi saved Kuriyama a long time ago, and she owes her a favor.

After Izumi finally determined that Akky is Beyond the Boundary, she contacted Kuriyama, and she transferred over to get close to him and kill him when the calm arrives. Fujima got wind of the plan at some point, and gave Sakura the weapon to encourage her to take revenge on Kuriyama, as a means of getting in the way of Izumi's plan.

jediyoshi

Kyoanus no Kanata - Episode 9

lDV5OHc.gif

duck plz

Some people on 4chan seem to understand it that from the very beginning of the anime, she was hired/brought in to kill Akky.

That was my takeaway. Would explain the scene further in beween her and hiroomi on the roof when she indirectly explains she already knew akkey was a youmu.

Bombless

Log Horizon 5-8 aka Megane : The Anime

Xbtb8Tl.gif

Shiroe getting all Jim Profit in there. Love it. Also now I feel badass pushing my glasses back up. Every. Single. Time.

Well, I kind of agree with him. I never particularly liked the superhero comics, and more importantly, never understood how it got so big in first place. It seems a weird anomaly to me.

I'm not saying they shouldn't exist. But it's something incredibly specific right, if you think about it. It's not a genre like "adventure" or "drama" or "romance" are genres, but (in very general terms, of course there are exceptions) a very specific sub-genre: about good heroes that dress on costumes and have fake names that evil fight villains with some kind of super powers .
Something that specific should be a 10% of less of a entire medium like American Comics, but somehow it expanded to be the 90% and the rest of genres is the 10%.

No genre dominates like that other mediums like fiction books or films, and much less something that sounds so niche, but in western comic they get away with it.

A good time ago, I read an article about Stan Lee creating 3 novel comics, totally new. And the three descriptions were about superheroes. It's like in his mind the possibility of doing a story that didn't involve people with superheroes didn't even occur.

edit: BTW, I doubt the Alan Moore's audience in the last 15 years is the same public he is looking down here.

IIRC, a lot of the dominance of superheroes can be blamed on the introduction of the Comics Code. Which nobody has even followed for a few years now, and it was getting extremely loose anyway, so it's not much of an excuse.

Superheroes were really big up from their introduction through WWII, but after that, the market really diversified as superheroes fell out of fashion temporarily. Everyone went back to superheroes after the Comics Code was introduced because stuff like crime and horror comics couldn't be published anymore. Although that doesn't explain where Westerns and sci-fi went.

duckroll

Mods already endorse Banderas, hope was lost before then.

Let's set something straight. It's only Y2Kev who endorses Banderas. And I hate doge too, it's fucking dumb. I think Aeana is a fan though. It just felt like a fitting usage considering the nature of the show.

Jex

Yozakura Quartet- Hoshi no Umi

If you really don't want to watch this, you seemingly could get away with it. It's not bad though so I don't see why you would skip it. Yea there isn't really a reason for them to go over this twice. Also they don't seem so squeamish about killing in the TV show(Hana no Uta). I'm really hoping this doesn't become a big issue in the TV series proper as I was already getting somewhat annoyed in the OVAs about it. The animation quality is about on par with Hana no Uta which is to say the combat is pretty good.

Now, the animation in the television series really is above average but I don't think that's quite fair. The OVA's look crazy hot even when there's no action going on.

More importantly, the OVA's feature scenes with undisputed best girl:

yozquarg3kjm.jpg

Doge > Banderas. At least doge is actually finny.

More like Banderas being associated with a console is what makes it worse

Let's set something straight. It's only Y2Kev who endorses Banderas. And I hate doge too, it's fucking dumb. I think Aeana is a fan though. It just felt like a fitting usage considering the nature of the show.

I know, you don't remember our IRC chats? I'm well aware Kagari hates it as well, and constantly shakes fists at Y2Kev's action over it.

fertygo

Now, the animation in the television series really is above average but I don't think that's quite fair. The OVA's look crazy hot even when there's no action going on.

More importantly, the OVA's feature scenes with undisputed best girl:

yozquarg3kjm.jpg

What the hell, Jex also have good taste in waifu!

Jarmel

Banned
There are two sides gunning for Beyond the Boundary. Izumi is likely working for the head of her family, the old man is probably the Nase patriarch. Maybe he's immortal too. Fujima works for the Society and they might be under control of another super Youmu, judging from what he takes orders from. Izumi saved Kuriyama a long time ago, and she owes her a favor.

After Izumi finally determined that Akky is Beyond the Boundary, she contacted Kuriyama, and she transferred over to get close to him and kill him when the calm arrives. Fujima got wind of the plan at some point, and gave Sakura the weapon to encourage her to take revenge on Kuriyama, as a means of getting in the way of Izumi's plan.

Mirai was supposedly about to be executed until Izumi stepped in so I guess Mirai owed Izumi and decided to take on this assassination job. She tried to kill him initially but that obviously didn't work so she continually tried to kill him the first week. After giving up, she decided to get closer to him until she had another chance or something. She had seemingly planned for the possibility as she had the glasses on during the initial meeting. So she was testing him at the very beginning and went with the backup plan when she confirmed that he wouldn't die.

So chances are Mirai doesn't even need glasses and was only wearing for them for Akky's benefit. It looks like that at the end when she takes them off. Izumi probably told Mirai about Akky's glasses fetish and Mirai used that to get close to Akky. Not to mention all those stupid bouts of moe were to get Akky's attention. She was acting all along, pretending to be this innocent stupid girl.

tumblr_lhxhwn0Idz1qehh3bo1_500.gif

This is almost Blood-C levels of trolling if true. Hanada seemingly redeemed I guess. What the fuck.

Gazoinks

FYI they stop introducing people for a bit, but then they introduce a couple more throughout the show, though the main group of girls stays the same.

Also don't know if you read when I was watching, but season 2 gets REALLY abstract with its humor. Like Shaft on acid. And Shaft is already the guy tripping balls between the anime studios.

Then the next season is back to norm following manga. Don't forget to watch OVA seasons in between each season.

Don't know if you've noticed yet since you haven't seen Shirokuma Cafe in a while, but Zetsubou Sensei is Penguin-san

Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to getting to that point. I want to see exactly how weird it gets. :p

Polar Bear Cafe's cast is great. I should go back to that show at some point. I like it a lot, but I reached a similar point to Nichijou where after a while I just got tired of the episodic comedy antics. We'll see if that's a problem with Zetsubou, but it seems weird and dark enough that it'll probably avoid that.

I burst out laughing when this happened. I think my tally in this episode came up to around 16 push-ups?

Well that would just make Touka even more Kannaesque than she already is.

Araragi is the greatest harem protagonist of all time. He chooses his girl within the first five episodes (admittedly she's not even close to best girl, but props for actually making a choice) but the harem refuses to ever let him go. And he gets away with it despite the fact that the girl he chose is borderline yandere. Araragi for ultibro.

Also I'm pretty sure Kanbaru is bisexual (though she definitely prefers girls). She seems to identify more as a "pervert" in general than just as a lesbian. After all, she's also very into reading BL.

A word of warning - this first arc of Kai is probably the most underwhelming in the anime because it's a quasi-filler arc of sorts. There was never such an arc in the original VNs, so it's being used as more of a sort of recap to ease people into the new series, and to fill in a number of little things that were left out of the earlier arcs' adaptations.

This arc is just four episodes, though, and then it's classy stuff all the way for the final two arcs. The next arc is one of my favourite in the whole series (though I may be biased because I love Satoko so much).

...also it's Higurashi not Hirugashi =p

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 04 //Thanks for the spelling tip

Looks like shit is about to hit the fan with Rika soon
to die.
I feel the ED slide showing the preview kind of ruins the tension with its chibi/moe like presentation, might just be me.

cajunator

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata - 9

No way they had the balls to do that. But that line in the preview...

It's not spectacular. It's about on par with the TV series which doesn't even have the best action this season. Actually the action in the TV series has been better now that I think about it. That said, 90% of anime is garbage.

KNK is not THAT bad. But I am of the opinion that a lot of anime is actually pretty fun even some of the bad stuff. I find myself enjoying quite a few shows each season and having more than enough to watch.

Log Horizon 5-8 aka Megane : The Anime

Xbtb8Tl.gif

Shiroe getting all Jim Profit in there. Love it. Also now I feel badass pushing my glasses back up. Every. Single. Time.

I have to push my glasses up a lot because of my narrow bridge. Its annoying and not at all badass. but youre right they make it look that way.

Beats

Has any company picked up the Perfect Blue Blu-ray for a NA release? I'm wondering if I should wait or just import.

Pooya

Coppelion - 9

Very bad, filler episode. To think I thought Aoi won't ever come back again :((

your face after you watch gohands anime.
1385585053-2.gif

you can safely skip this episode, it's entirely pointless.

looking at the preview... not all hope is lost.
1385584905-1.jpg

Looks like it could be a self contained little story in 12 episodes if they stop there, it's obvious now where/how it will end, could be decent.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 05

Shit hit the fan.

Looks like this arc gave some more hints regarding the volcanic eruptions to which was hinted back in season one with Keichii instead being the sole survivor when he went psycho trying to save Satako. I wonder if the wishing-for-people-deaths-coming-true mini plot will ever resurface.

Well from this arc it is shown that a mysterious third group is behind the murders, and the great disaster, instead of the Three Families/Sonazaki family. Going back to the Shion/Mion arc from the first season I wonder if the Sonozaki grandma is connected to this third group in anyway. Or perhaps Rena/Tamoko's belief of religious fanatics was indeed true, cutting out the alien nonsense anyway.

All these thoughts! Definitely getting back the season one vibes here. And Rena's
death shriek
was gut-wrenching, best character
dies
again...

Jex

Coppelion - 9

GoHands have truly never done anything worthwhile. All they've brought to the medium is god off filters :(

Coppelion - 9

you can safely skip this episode, it's entirely pointless.

Looks like it could be a self contained little story in 12 episodes if they stop there, it's obvious now where/how it will end, could be decent.

Man, Coppelion looks like a waste of bandwidth. Why watch that when I can just go to tumblr?

Tenumi

Banned
So, my desktop PC hard drive officially died on me today (Mostly). So, uh, small anime hiatus for me. Gonna be getting a new PC sooner than I expected, then salvaging what I can from the old drive via Linux (Computer cannot find boot device, hoping I can at least salvage my wallpapers and avatars and games and stuff still on there, got some of it moved already, but not all).

Higurash no Naka Koro ni Kai - 06

Fluff episode but with meaning this time!

The beginning of the episode was kind of jarring with limbo-Rika talking directly with the audience but it did give a good exposition to which I question the purpose of the first arc... which was just dramatized exposition...

Anyways looks like this time loop/arc is going to be its own as Keichii has just changed a pivotal, though minuscule, moment in the progression of things. I'm betting that the reason Rika is going through the multiple time loops with Hanyu is due to Keichii's wish when he died back to the very first arc of the first season where he wanted 'someone' to find out why the murders are happening. In addition I'm still holding on to that the mysterious third group are religious fanatics but we'll see.

As for Hanyu I wonder where she actually came from. Was she always with Rika or did she appear when Rika started going through the repeated time loops?

Jarmel

Banned
The twist comes straight from the LN but Hanada did come up with the best thing about the show so far.

I really don't want to give Hanada credit but if they go all in on this...

It's almost meta levels of trolling. Like KyoAni knew what the audience would expect of them and played on those expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom