• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombless

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-3

I like the subtle uneasiness present throughout these first episodes, going crescendo until the end of ep 3.

Higurash no Naku Koro ni Kai - 07

Semi-fluff/plot episode here (mainly plot).

Go Team Screw-Fate!
Yeah I made the name up but as Rika said things are progressing differently in positive ways, hell we have manly Akasaka back, has to mean something! However with this show I have to agree with Hanyu in that Rika is becoming too arrogant and shit will hit the fan and Rika will be struck harder than ever.

Anyways as for the new OP and ED. I find the new OP to be better while the new ED is alright. I didn't find the previous season's ED all that exciting either but whatevs.

cajunator

Banned
That was a Shaft co-production; you know what yo expect from Shaft.

Shaft produces some amazing stuff. Kono minikuku mo utsukushii sekai was lazy and uninspired in every way. the only good thing about it was Hikari and Akari were Mahoro/Minawa clones.

CorvoSol

Coppelion - 9

Very bad, filler episode. To think I thought Aoi won't ever come back again :((

your face after you watch gohands anime.
1385585053-2.gif

you can safely skip this episode, it's entirely pointless.

looking at the preview... not all hope is lost.
1385584905-1.jpg

Looks like it could be a self contained little story in 12 episodes if they stop there, it's obvious now where/how it will end, could be decent.

So this episode focuses more on Aoi than Naruse/Taeko/Haruto? So not sure if I want to see it now.

Articalys

I'm honestly tired of the hype cycle so I'm just going to ignore speculation and wait until they officially reveal (or have it get leaked early, as seems to be constantly the case with Precure) more info on the new series.

cajunator

Banned
I'm honestly tired of the hype cycle so I'm just going to ignore speculation and wait until they officially reveal (or have it get leaked early, as seems to be constantly the case with Precure) more info on the new series.

I hardly ever get hyped for anything anymore. Anime, games, whatever. I just see things I want and I work towards getting them. I still get a bit excited for certain anime and stuff but largely its all gone.

Theonik

Super YoYo 10-12
Because VR YoYo battles are the only sensible thing to have.
Also: Fucking cliffhangers.
Also Also: Sunichi's competitor makes me moist.

Meganebu! is Megane: The Anime. It's also a better show.
Opinion !!

I know everyone can speak of his opinions but i have to disagree here.

tumblr_mwxyo9T5dl1r7c87xo1_1280.png

HappinessCharge confirmed for ANNIVERSARY series; I can already feel the Umakoshi.
Damn it's been 10 years already since i've started this anime.

But why is there excitement over a logo? I do not understand.
Potential , this one probably won't be a half assed effort.

It's officially the tenth anniversary series; those tend to get a bit more effort than usual.
Yeah that too.

Potential is a beautiful thing.

Actually everyone hype can go down quickly once we have the character design or the members of the staff.

Or it can go up.

My dream is something like an all star season over 50 episodes but that won't happen.

I'm pretty sure the real reason is "It's Precure that isn't DokiDoki".

Dokidoki isn't a bad season , it's only problem is that it's NOT a great season.
Dokidoki had potential , but they never used it fully , unless they go all out for the final arc it'll be a season of missed opportunities.

Pooya

KnK - 9

Please change the thread title, it's no longer valid. KYOANI RISES

all them lights *_*

This show might end up not so bad in the end!

------------------------------

So this episode focuses more on Aoi than Naruse/Taeko/Haruto? So not sure if I want to see it now.

It's like 60% Aoi, 20% Taeko, 20% everyone else combined.

The episode is like 'it's the last night before the big thing, we gotta prepare!' and there is quite a bit of drama and a little bit of comedy if you can call it that. It's not important imo in bigger scheme of things and it's not a fun episode either, waste of time.

cajunator

Banned
Actually everyone hype can go down quickly once we have the character design or the members of the staff.

Or it can go up.

My dream is something like an all star season over 50 episodes but that won't happen.

Dokidoki isn't a bad season , it's only problem is that it's NOT a great season.
Dokidoki had potential , but they never used it fully , unless they go all out for the final arc it'll be a season of missed opportunities.

It probably didnt have enough Regina in it.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 10

At this point in the series, I feel that the villains and now these side-characters have had more character development than the people I assumed were the main characters (the mech pilots). It'd be nice to see Kouji and more importantly Sayaka (who is a staple of my teams in SRW games) get more spot light. I won't be pissed if they don't, but it'd be nice.

Coppelion Episode 9
tumblr_mwxw6eyNGR1qzpumyo1_500.gif
tumblr_mwxu8a6eOk1qzpumyo2_500.gif

This episode was hilarious, like the Haruto Kurosawa comedy half hour or something, poor guy and wanting to understand humans. I laughed. It was kind of enjoyable too. I think its finally managed to make it a little enjoyable niche anime this season and more power to the people working on this.
I too will miss our time at planet and am cheering Haruto on as he continues to understand things in their short and brief life

Welcome to the NHK ep 1-24

After sitting on my hard drive for well over a year unwatched I finally got round to watching this show.

I was not impressed.

There are certain things about it that it does well, the main character Sato Tatsuhiro is very lifelike, and the fact that we often get to hear his internal monologue helps us to relate to this character. I also liked his otaku neighbour for being very no-holds barred otaku but also with all the realistic problems that come with it. I did not like Misaki at all, for reason's which I will go into later. The show talks very well about people, humanity and relationships in a way that is interesting and poses serious questions about the way one lives out their life. It can sometimes be laugh out loud funny, and a good segment will leave you with a smile on your face.

The show has arcs of varying length and is generally not episodic but there are clear parts which could/should be taken out to increase the general quality of the show. The MMO&Pyramid Scheme arc is trash, and runs way too long. Maybe it's because I am burnt out of MMO based anime due to half a season of SAO, but I felt it was a useless waste of time that didn't move the plot at all. The pyramid scheme part was just the main trio holding a massive idiot ball which wasn't funny and would obviously force a return to status quo making the whole thing meaningless. It would've been fine if it was 1 episode, but they decided to stretch it out which was to the show's own demise. In general the first quarter of the show is better as they start to introduce the characters and the story stays low key. The story takes a turn for the worse, getting all melodramatic and much, much dumber and less relatable. That's not to say the show doesn't have useful snippets about the human condition, but I certainly wasn't expecting the Anohana type nonsense it started producing.

To be frank really, my main issue is that the show is "part of the problem". It's the same wish-fulfilment, get things because I am the main character crap that has polluted anime. It all comes down to Misaki and her place in the show. She's completely devoted to the main character and constantly throws herself at him. Yes, they give a half assed reason in the last arc, but it feels like a "women in this alien planet don't wear clothes" type excuse. In any case we have a young, pretty and
mentally unstable (moe)
girl who takes a sudden interest in our jobless, loser, hikikomori main character. And the show never really redeems itself from that poor starting position.

6.5/10

Jex

Shin Mazinger Z 10

At this point in the series, I feel that the villains and now these side-characters have had more character development than the people I assumed were the main characters (the mech pilots). It'd be nice to see Kouji and more importantly Sayaka (who is a staple of my teams in SRW games) get more spot light. I won't be pissed if they don't, but it'd be nice.
I think it's pretty clear that Imagawa is far more interested in the villains, especially Baron Ashura, than the "protagonists".

Kansoku

Kyoukai no Kanata - 9

igkZZNt38gg2B.gif

Mirai was supposedly about to be executed until Izumi stepped in so I guess Mirai owed Izumi and decided to take on this assassination job. She tried to kill him initially but that obviously didn't work so she continually tried to kill him the first week. After giving up, she decided to get closer to him until she had another chance or something. She had seemingly planned for the possibility as she had the glasses on during the initial meeting. So she was testing him at the very beginning and went with the backup plan when she confirmed that he wouldn't die.

So chances are Mirai doesn't even need glasses and was only wearing for them for Akky's benefit. It looks like that at the end when she takes them off. Izumi probably told Mirai about Akky's glasses fetish and Mirai used that to get close to Akky. Not to mention all those stupid bouts of moe were to get Akky's attention. She was acting all along, pretending to be this innocent stupid girl.

tumblr_lhxhwn0Idz1qehh3bo1_500.gif

This is almost Blood-C levels of trolling if true. Hanada seemingly redeemed I guess. What the fuck.

That was my takeway as well.

wonzo

Banned
Sounds like KnK actually did something interesting again… goddamnit.

Now, the animation in the television series really is above average but I don't think that's quite fair. The OVA's look crazy hot even when there's no action going on.

More importantly, the OVA's feature scenes with undisputed best girl:

yozquarg3kjm.jpg
close but her
sisters better!

Jex

Mirai was supposedly about to be executed until Izumi stepped in so I guess Mirai owed Izumi and decided to take on this assassination job. She tried to kill him initially but that obviously didn't work so she continually tried to kill him the first week. After giving up, she decided to get closer to him until she had another chance or something. She had seemingly planned for the possibility as she had the glasses on during the initial meeting. So she was testing him at the very beginning and went with the backup plan when she confirmed that he wouldn't die.

So chances are Mirai doesn't even need glasses and was only wearing for them for Akky's benefit. It looks like that at the end when she takes them off. Izumi probably told Mirai about Akky's glasses fetish and Mirai used that to get close to Akky. Not to mention all those stupid bouts of moe were to get Akky's attention. She was acting all along, pretending to be this innocent stupid girl.
This is complete and utter madness. I think the second paragraph to be particularly unlikely.

cajunator

Banned

After sitting on my hard drive for well over a year unwatched I finally got round to watching this show.

I was not impressed.

There are certain things about it that it does well, the main character Sato Tatsuhiro is very lifelike, and the fact that we often get to hear his internal monologue helps us to relate to this character. I also liked his otaku neighbour for being very no-holds barred otaku but also with all the realistic problems that come with it. I did not like Misaki at all, for reason's which I will go into later. The show talks very well about people, humanity and relationships in a way that is interesting and poses serious questions about the way one lives out their life. It can sometimes be laugh out loud funny, and a good segment will leave you with a smile on your face.

The show has arcs of varying length and is generally not episodic but there are clear parts which could/should be taken out to increase the general quality of the show. The MMO&Pyramid Scheme arc is trash, and runs way too long. Maybe it's because I am burnt out of MMO based anime due to half a season of SAO, but I felt it was a useless waste of time that didn't move the plot at all. The pyramid scheme part was just the main trio holding a massive idiot ball which wasn't funny and would obviously force a return to status quo making the whole thing meaningless. It would've been fine if it was 1 episode, but they decided to stretch it out which was to the show's own demise. In general the first quarter of the show is better as they start to introduce the characters and the story stays low key. The story takes a turn for the worse, getting all melodramatic and much, much dumber and less relatable. That's not to say the show doesn't have useful snippets about the human condition, but I certainly wasn't expecting the Anohana type nonsense it started producing.

To be frank really, my main issue is that the show is "part of the problem". It's the same wish-fulfilment, get things because I am the main character crap that has polluted anime. It all comes down to Misaki and her place in the show. She's completely devoted to the main character and constantly throws herself at him. Yes, they give a half assed reason in the last arc, but it feels like a "women in this alien planet don't wear clothes" type excuse. In any case we have a young, pretty and
mentally unstable (moe)
girl who takes a sudden interest in our jobless, loser, hikikomori main character. And the show never really redeems itself from that poor starting position.

6.5/10

Hmmm. I really disagree with a lot of that. Misaki you have a point cause she just shows up on Sato's doorstep willing to help him, but she has osme legit issues that could lead to the way she behaves. I think people said the manga dealt with her character better. Shes still adorable.

The MMO was just one episode and not a big deal. It probably hit home for people.
The Pyramid scheme was a pretty interesting diversion as well. The show had a lot of real life interesting things to talk about that most anime overlooks. I think it handled the subject matter extremely well all things considered. Ive marathoned this series several times and its one of my favorites.

CorvoSol

I think it's pretty clear that Imagawa is far more interested in the villains, especially Baron Ashura, than the "protagonists".

Well it has definitely worked for Baron Asura. Character is as sympathetic as they come in this show.

Getter Robo 9

So Ryo spares the life of a dinosaur man after beating him, and this dino man later repays the favor after being moved by the intense honor of Ryo's actions. In the episode's beginning, Emperor Gore gives him a choice between glory or death, and at the end of the episode, as Emperor Gore blows his Mechasaur to bits, the dinosaur remarks that in saving Ryoma and the Getter Robo and sparing the town, death has become but a step on his path to glory.

Manly tears are shed at the end, and the question of "what is the real difference between Dinosaur and Human?" is hinted at.

Pooya

This is complete and utter madness. I think the second paragraph to be particularly unlikely.

don't know, looks like to be the case after this episode. There are strong hints in this episode.

All them foreshadowing over the past episodes DAMN >.<

bow to our LN overlords etc etc

cnet128

Banned
NouCome 8

THAT WASN'T AN ALTERNATE CHOICE TIMELINE AFTER THE CREDITS. I feel cheated.

In other news,
Chocolat should never regain her memories ever.

In other other news,
POOL EPISODE NEXT WEEK!

I was not impressed.

mentally unstable (moe)

6.5/10

Never watched the anime adaptation or the read the manga adaptation, so I cannot state that I agree or disagree with your review. All I can state is the original novel focuses more on Sato and leaves out a lot of filler the anime (and manga?) had added in. I seem to have a thing about appreciating the original story in a series, whether it be a novel, movie, or game.

jbug617

Banned
Kyoukai No Kanata 9

ChHNZ.gif

Man I want
Akhito to body all of them especially Izumi
. I know it's not going to happen though

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kyoukai no Kanata 9

Damn. DAMN.

Now I don't even know what to think, especially after reading Jarmel's post. Can't believe how hype I am for next week's episode now. I DEMAND ANSWERS.

EDIT: Jbug's Kramer gif is extremely appropriate in this situation.

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 9

So a bunch of giant space alien men get boners looking at Hikaru's under-age not actually girlfriend as she falls down in her swimsuit, and Hikaru blows their ship up for it. A significant portion of military personnel and civilians vote a sixteen year old girl as being sexier than a movie star and Hikaru feels sad because he has the hots for a girl who is unwilling to say he is her boyfriend on interplanetary television.

And people get upset over Lacus Cline being a popstar in Gundam SEED?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom