• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned

NAk6C.gif

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 5

So basically I've determined that Ichigo is going to become huge and that Aoi is not (she only really got into the academy because she's such an idol fangirl anyway), and they'll have to deal with that in order for them to remain friends.

And I'm pretty sure that there's no way Ichigo and Ran could pull that off together when they didn't practice together at all.

This show's pretty enjoyable, but it can get pretty tacky with all the talk about "give it our all" and "convey the feelings of everybody else when you're on stage" and such. It's hardly the only offender in that regard, and it's no deal-breaker (at least not yet), but I wish the show would ease up on that kinda thing just a little.

Edit: I also wonder how there are so many episodes of this show. If you'd asked me how many I thought there were after watching the first five, I'd have probably guessed that it'd IM@S length, tops. Ichigo seems to be making progress very quickly.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
As a person who watched chunni way after everyone else, without any real expectations other than some people love it and some dont like it, I enjoyed it, cept when it got to the last 2 or 3 episodes, too much drama, not enough the first 9 episodes which I loved.

Non Non Biyori - 07

I underestimated him ! I thought it was just a dumb rabbit

I can't believe it planned this from the start ..

he really got us .

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Non%20Non%20Biyori%20-%2007_02.jpg

The small grin before the act was priceless.

i was on the floor after this happenned ... what a scene ... magnificent .

The small grin just before the jump was some superb scene

Code:
You can't fool me !

The outrageous act of destroying this master piece mustn't be forgotten

Non%20Non%20Biyori%20-%2007_01.jpg

Clay masterpiece

10/10 episode ! no doubt

Summer Wars

Throughout the movie, we juggle two aspects; Real Life, and OZ, the former gets far more screen time in order to establish everyone and their relationships. Grandma is clearly the best character here. Really dug that phone scene. Romance angle.... Not sure how I feel on that part.

One thing that grabs me is how I take a few scenes, and apply Our War Game onto it. there's just similar scenes about that tickled that bone of nostalgia.

Animation and soundtrack were rather top notch
probably moreso than Wolf Children, but I think this and that were for their respective movies, so whatever.

That cousin/police dude..
glad he got socked in the face. Dude has a boner for his cousin and ruined things. Now he's a real asshole, even if that ice moving was to keep Grandma's body cool.

This movie was pretty nice. 2 for 2 with the movies, Hosoda! Pleased me with both Christmas gifts.

Aikatsu! 5

So basically I've determined that Ichigo is going to become huge and that Aoi is not (she only really got into the academy because she's such an idol fangirl anyway), and they'll have to deal with that in order for them to remain friends.

And I'm pretty sure that there's no way Ichigo and Ran could pull that off together when they didn't practice together at all.

This show's pretty enjoyable, but it can get pretty tacky with all the talk about "give it our all" and "convey the feelings of everybody else when you're on stage" and such. It's hardly the only offender in that regard, and it's no deal-breaker (at least not yet), but I wish the show would ease up on that kinda thing just a little.

Edit: I also wonder how there are so many episodes of this show. If you'd asked me how many I thought there were after watching the first five, I'd have probably guessed that it'd IM@S length, tops. Ichigo seems to be making progress very quickly.

Well there are a lot of girls in the cast from what I noticed, so there's that.

PuPiPo! 02

liRXx4vl.jpg

The famous ( ´ 3 ` ) ( ´ 3 ` ) attack.

Still enjoying this. Everything feels light hearted and definitely has a nice feeling to all of this.

Andrew J.

The lyrics of "Before my body is dry" grew on me after a couple listens.

And it's not as if the whole song isn't a fairly literal explication of the show's basic plot points, either.

Gintama: The Final Chapter

This was about as good as I could expect a Gintama movie to be. Which is pretty damn good! Hilarious, heartwarming, and badass in turns, it sums up why I love this franchise, delivering on the affection I've built up for the franchise's characters in just the right ways. Bravo.

Anti-piracy ads have now justified their existence.

Non Non Biyori - 08

Non%20Non%20Biyori%20-%2008.jpg

I guess she underestimated love stories !

i've heard people say "I have no words", but i guess you had a "nuh"

And here i am , on the floor , laughing again .

Man this anime is trully excellent , i had a little time to get in the groove but damn if this doesn't make you feel so great after an episode .

Tokyo ravens - 12

So Bakatora finally used his brain and overcome his dense feeligns !

But it's a cliffanger ! Argh

But the real star of this episode was Still Kon as fluttered and embarrassed as she was !

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
SaiKano 13 END

Well, that puts an end to this Shakespeare-esque tragedy.

Such a bizarre and tragic show and it ends with a equally bizarre and tragic end. I'm really not sure what to think. The series hasn't been the prettiest nor really the most heart-wrenching nor really most well explained, but it certainly is probably one of the more tragic and tense affairs out there. There's no right moves for the our starcross'd lovers to be found but simply love.

Valvrave the Liberator S2 12 END

HE DEAD!!! Q-ViER IS DEAD!!! THANK FUCKING GOODNESS

So it that it? Is it all over? I'm kinda torn over it.
I felt like the end of Haruto's story was good and I felt it wrapped things up okay prior to the very end/credits, but how L-Elf's plan got back on track felt super forced and the whole "future" thing felt rushed and shoehorned in like crazy. Like, who's the kid? Shoko's Immortal now too? What happened to L-Elf? Why did we just glaze over a future you've been building since season one? Rather disappointed, slightly satisfied, idk.

It could probably be called a Poor Man's Geass, but I'm not sure if it should be allowed to wear that moniker.

DokiDoki Precure 45

Well there's not much plot details that I didn't comment on, but here's the thing. Apparently, the 5 minute time limit was still actually a thing on Cure Ace, but apparently, it wasn't worth bringing up after Leva and Gula got killed off. But hey, now we know it's off for good. I'm not even sure why they tacked that feature on.

To bring back the plot details I mentioned...

-Popsicle Queen is a lie
-Regina/Aguri are the Shadow/Light of Anne.

Now here's something I find interesting about one of the details, and it makes me feel sorry for Johnathon Klondike Bar
in that since Regina/Aguri are the light and shadow of Anne, and they both love Mana, he's been NTR'd without even realizing it.

In any case, to capitalize on Aguri's bitchness
"Yo, Makoto, Here's the truth of what went down. Now I'm gonna make you watch your world fall apart because I want you to see it.

Now, my biggest gripe, is that this episode captilizes on just how far Cure Sword has fallen, and how she really hasn't lived up to what she was given. I mean for a surviving warrior of the Trump Kingdom, she isn't particularly strong. In fact.... does she really matter at this point? I mean we have Ai, Johnathan Klondike Bar,
Regina, and Aguri.... the latter we could remove since she's culmination of hack writing
to go with the whole Trump Kingdom survivor thing. For someone called Cure Sword, all she does is shoot.... daggers, and not use a sword. Why would you do this? I mean... going back to the first point, her strength pretty much fell through the floor once she became a regular on the team, and any quirks about her are pretty underused. Then again, what character flaws does Makoto
or anyone else on the team has, besides maybe Aguri.

Makoto, like a few others (namely Alice, and debatebly Rikka) were pretty much uninteresting, since their character flaws pretty much went away before we even reached the halfway point, so what we have is basically one of the most uninteresting purples ever. I don't really like her... not at the start, and definitely not now. Don't think that will change in the next 4 episodes.

NEXT TIME, expect flashbacks and then shit getting real

Shergal

Space Dandy preview thingy
I thought it was pretty zzz then they cut it off when it started getting good. I'll come back when the actual full episode airs.

zeroshiki

Summer Wars

Throughout the movie, we juggle two aspects; Real Life, and OZ, the former gets far more screen time in order to establish everyone and their relationships. Grandma is clearly the best character here. Really dug that phone scene. Romance angle.... Not sure how I feel on that part.

One thing that grabs me is how I take a few scenes, and apply Our War Game onto it. there's just similar scenes about that tickled that bone of nostalgia.

Animation and soundtrack were rather top notch
probably moreso than Wolf Children, but I think this and that were for their respective movies, so whatever.

That cousin/police dude..
glad he got socked in the face. Dude has a boner for his cousin and ruined things. Now he's a real asshole, even if that ice moving was to keep Grandma's body cool.

This movie was pretty nice. 2 for 2 with the movies, Hosoda! Pleased me with both Christmas gifts.

Onwards to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time!

Arpeggio of blue steel - Ars nova - 12 (end)

Well i certainly wasn't expecting this.

Arpeggio anime is similar to the manga yet has small changes that overall make it different than the manga .
I think it's the tone of the battles that change things the most..in the manga things are deadlier and more on a thin line ..regardless with a limited cast and a limited amount of time , arpeggio managed to be very enjoyable thanks to the core cast being well Strong

Arpeggio%20of%20Blue%20Steel%20-%20Ars%20Nova%20-%2012.jpg

So many mental models to look forward to when they make more.

The finale was very action focused rather than naval focused ..that's a shame but they focused more of the "will" rather than tactics , because you do need to end on a high note. Action was alright . Kongou strugle to accept her new status was pretty nice , and all things said they did leave the door open should they try to make more.
Iona part in this fight was much more straight forward but it was still well done as Iona learned to accept herself and she did grew across those 12 eps.

Conclusion:
I want more.

Iona :(8/10)

Main heroine , most screen time , some powerfull moments on screen.
Her attitude after 400 & 402 battle, her struggle toward kongou, it was trully magnificent

Takao : ( 8/10)

Great character , most tsundere of the cast .. powerfull maiden in love.
I did enjoy that she got her body back , it's a nice way to fix thing for the manga , she do need to meet gunzo mother after all :)

Hyuga : (7/10)

Good character , most lesbian , most obscessed.
her switch between her serious self and her crazy self was a nice and refreshing change , never change hyuga.

Haruna : (7/10)

Alright character , most coated . Her desire to learn was welcome and her affection toward her first friend was a so welcome change
1386294184785.gif

Kirishima : (7/10)

Alright character , most welcome change.
I liked her human form , but when she became a stuffed animal , she trully became a "character". i'm still wondering why they didn't make her back into a Mental model if they could bring takao, but hey ..

Maya : ( 6/10 )
Ok character , most painfull revelation , most carnival time.
Maya wanting to play was great , maya sticking to kongo was great, then the reveal happenned. it's a shame... I do hope they manage to find a way to bring her back

400&402 : ( 7/10 )
Great characters ..at first i was not enjoyed , but i have to admit that they played most of their cards right . It's no wonder they are spies under "yamato" , they are quite competent , unfortunatly , they learned the sad way all the main character have luck and they also earned a sad fate.

Kongo : ( 9/10 )
Excellent character , coldest moment , most time on her chair drinking tea , best use of a gravity cannon.
As a final boss , she did well she really shined on screen , you could like see her moments of doubt , you could see the confusion. i think she worked almost perfectly.
In the anime she is quite different than in the manga but this new version isn't bad.

---------------
Special mention to the soundtrack and the songs across the 12 episodes those are great stuff.
Arpeggio was a big surprise, in the end the 3D CG work pretty well and the story is there backed by powerful characters.

Final verdict ( excellent surprise ) : 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom