• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Berserk - 24

02BBeDf.jpg

Oh shit its the aliens from Mars Attacks!

This shit went bananas. Griffith please don't do this you greedy bastard, I thought we had something you and I.
Surerly you wouldn't let your friends who've been with you since the beginning perish for your own hatred. This all came out of nowhere, we were just saving your skinny ass from the dungeons. Griffith please.

Quasar

So with the new season starting/started, I guess I've now had to decide on what to try (if available). Which is looking like:

Log Horizon 2
Your Lie in April
Donten ni Warau
Wolf Girl and the Black Prince
Yona of the Dawn
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Denki-Gai no Honya-san
Orenchi no Furo Jijou
Shirobako

+ SAO 2 and Akame Ga Kill

Guess there's some stuff to try after all.

Question about the Hunter x Hunter adaptation -- I'm up to the start of the Chimera Ant arc, but I've heard the beginning of the arc is rather slow. I'd be willing to read the manga up to wherever the arc hits its stride. Any opinions on this method?

Explaining what some people may find entertaining in it is almost like explaining a joke, so I won't do that. It's not going to help.
2contextual4me

Edit: Even if you spoil the "joke" you can still help me understand what someone else sees in it.
My favorite episode(s) happen(s) much later, but if you don't find anything entertaining at all by the end of episode 5 or 6, I'd advise quitting.
I'll stick with it for at least a few more episodes.

Question about the Hunter x Hunter adaptation -- I'm up to the start of the Chimera Ant arc, but I've heard the beginning of the arc is rather slow. I'd be willing to read the manga up to wherever the arc hits its stride. Any opinions on this method?

You could do that, but you may have trouble linking the manga chapter you end on to the anime episode you want to start on and avoiding spoilers.

And it's also very speedbumpy, it slows down and speeds up a lot. You can just do whatever you prefer.

Berserk - 24

Oh shit its the aliens from Mars Attacks!

This shit went bananas. Griffith please don't do this you greedy bastard, I thought we had something you and I.
Surerly you wouldn't let your friends who've been with you since the beginning perish for your own hatred. This all came out of nowhere, we were just saving your skinny ass from the dungeons. Griffith please.

The past few screenshots have looked absolutely nuts. I must know a lot less about Berserk than I thought.

As someone who made a point of not watching any of this series past episode 1, I can't make my own judgments. But it's interesting to contrast your impressions with this other post. It reminds me of the difference between people who watch an adaptation because they want to see the original work move, and people who watch the adaptation because they just want to see a good story.

In a visual medium, you need a lot less explanation for things because you can see them happen in front of you. This is often true for explanatory lore, and it can be true for inner monologue as well, when handled properly. You can show, and not tell, and let the audience draw their own conclusions.

It seems like Mahouka wound up in an unhappy medium where it explained more than it needed for people who didn't care, without explaining enough for people who were already fans of the property
That's it mostly ONLY because i'm loving the books and even then i liked it i know it's really flawed.

i enjoyed mahouka anime , but
I can't hate it but i can't really like it.
WIXOSS is getting another season? How was the first? I heard it was straight up ridiculous
WIXOSS wasn't bad. it had a nice balance of DESPAIR , CRAZY , SUFFERING and just a tiny amount of HOPE so you can keep going.
This was a meal that you could eat only if you can accept the incest sauce that comes with the meal.

High School DxD

Wow.

Just wow.

Rias though <3
Dxd is a franchise that know what it wants and isn't afraid.
I like it.. it's perverted and sometimes it's ok for it to be.
I can't hate a anime where his MC actually work his ass of to get his harem ( i'm looking at you blade dance )

Regardless of what you choose , you're not escape from a very impressive wfritting device in this chapter .. so my guess is to keep what you were doing

Mr.Jeff

Yes, Yamato 2199 9 was a really good, really well directed, sensitive and meditative episode about the subject of AI. It conjured up a feeling of bittersweetness which is perhaps the best emotional response to that question.
I must be really dead inside. That was the last episode I watched of Yamato before putting on indefinite hold but I remember thinking that the type of emotional climax they were aiming for in the episode was totally disproportionate to how much time had been spent with the ship's robot thus far.

Probably another case of my bad opinions though.

Quasar

Dxd is a franchise that know what it wants and isn't afraid.
I like it.. it's perverted and sometimes it's ok for it to be.
I can't hate a anime where his MC actually work his ass of to get his harem ( i'm looking at you blade dance )

Unwanted harems are a burden aren't they.

I like DxD, more the books than the anime though.

wonzo

Banned
Tribe Cool Crew ep1

Sunrise-produced kids' show about an amateur hip-hop dancer named Haneru who discovers the secret identity of a girl moonlighting as a masked viral dancing sensation and teams up with her to take on the world of dance. It's well-produced and energetic with imaginative, diverse, cartoony character design, a vivid color palette, and a ton of visual flair in general with quirks that emphasize the "hip" atmosphere like freeze frames and bold patterns. Dances are CG--and not even Aikatsu-level CG--but it's easy to ignore when the rest of the show looks so good. It's a fun and refreshing counterpoint to kid idol shows like Aikatsu and Pripara.
Sounds good, will watch once I've cleared out some of the backlog.

Berserk - 25

sygxbl.gif

Honestly, im at a loss for words right now. I.. what? how? WHAT. (Not sure if Im allowed to post certain images)

First of all, why hasnt there been a followup series, this was made 17 goddamn years ago.
Second, where can I get the continued story? Manga only? I've never read a manga but this is pushing me over the edge
-
Alright, this show is pretty amazing. Great characters, designs, art and I cant complain at the soundtrack either. It went pretty dark and gory sometimes and I absolutely love it. I went into this expecting (through osmosis) edgy MC killing big ass monsters in a demon realm. Only that was waiting in the end.
Instead I got a buildup, seeing the journey to this crazy end. Filled with plotting, battles and some bromance. Getting attached to the three main characters, and now I feel betrayed by one of them. It hurts.
I would lie if I said I wouldnt have wanted some more monster slaying in between. First meeting with Zodd is probably one of the things I will remember the most. But I'm not disappointed in what I got instead. Sure sometimes it went a little slow and stupid, like that returning general, but I can't say I was ever bored.
It's nearly 3 in the morning and I'm going to bed. See you later Guts.

9/10

cajunator

Banned
Usagi Drop 3

Still a sweet and heartfelt tale of a man trying to raise his adopted daughter :) A pretty obvious call out on how utterly shitty parental leave is in Japan. It's no wonder their birth rates are dropping :/

From the New World 1

I'm still a bit in the dark even though I've got the general premise down - people start developing psychic powers a millienium ago and we now live in a world somewhat used to them but things are not as they seem. Good sense of atmosphere & mystery. I look forward to seeing more.

Girls und Panzer 2

I'm sure the character designs, interactions and personalities were big selling points back in Japan but they are a pretty big turn off for me. Still waiting till things "get good" which I've heard is soon.

From the new world is really really good.
one of the most well written shows in a while. Very solid story and so many great little details. One of my recent favorites and a great recommendation any time.

zulux21

The arc never really hits its stride ever...
it's slow to start, then some interesting things happen and then it slows to crawl again... and then some interesting things happen... and then you listen to the narrator for like 20 hours (which would be a lot faster in manga form)... and then some interesting things happen with the narrator blabbing on and on and on and on and on... then it kind of ends. I haven't read the manga but I have heard the arc was a fairly faithful adaption just with a few events moved around.

It's not a bad arc, but it's by far my least favorite in the series, though it likely doesn't help that I was able to binge watch most of the series before that arc and had to watch that arc weekly. It was better when I stopped watching for a few months and came back and watched the arc, but even then it still wasn't that well paced.

Mature

Space Dandy 10

A sweet episode. I liked how the time loop matched Meow being stuck in his past on his home planet. It's always nice to see these kind of sci-fi tropes being done not just for the hell of it but also to underline the characters and themes going on. To quote Jexhius from his above finale review, there was an "emotional core" to this episode, particularly in the relationship between Meow and his dad, that made it resonate for me. A couple jokes didn't work (that
lesbian
thing was so random), but it wasn't an episode that relied on its humor so it wasn't really a problem.
This episode really stuck with me long after all the other ones and I'm not sure I can say why. The soft colors and gentle tone of the Betelgeusian planet is a stark contrast to the rest of Dandy.

Tribe Cool Crew ep1

Sunrise-produced kids' show about an amateur hip-hop dancer named Haneru who discovers the secret identity of a girl moonlighting as a masked viral dancing sensation and teams up with her to take on the world of dance. It's well-produced and energetic with imaginative, diverse, cartoony character design, a vivid color palette, and a ton of visual flair in general with quirks that emphasize the "hip" atmosphere like freeze frames and bold patterns. Dances are CG--and not even Aikatsu-level CG--but it's easy to ignore when the rest of the show looks so good. It's a fun and refreshing counterpoint to kid idol shows like Aikatsu and Pripara.
Looks visually interesting at the very least. I'll give it a look.

i will watch the first few episodes of............

Ai Tenchi Muyo (no hope)
Amagi Brilliant Park (i will probably regret this)
Cross Ange (i have to know dammit)
Fate/stay night
Garo
Gundam: Reconguista in G
That Trigger Show (i'm confident i will regret this)
Parasyte
Psycho-Pass 2 (i will definitely regret this)
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis
That Ghibli Show (maybe it'll be good under the horrific CGI?)
Seven Deadly Sins
Shirobako
Terraformars
World Trigger
Your Lie in April

i'll try to catch up with Chaika, Mushishi, and Log Horizon

Thoraxes

Mahouka - 26

S2 when!? I need more onii-sama and dat aunt.
Also praise be to Onii-sama. Truly the Jesus Christ of our times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For anyone who cares, the Again!! jdrama adaptation ended after the first baseball game with a pretty conclusive ending.

I still admire the fact that Jdrama writers don't give one single fuck about the source material in terms of trying not to upset the balance. Their shows need to end in 10 episodes and they'll find a way to end it, even if it means "ruining" the manga ending in some way. That's the way anime writers should operate!

That feeling when you decide to go back to a show in your back log to finish, rewatch the episode you last watch and don't remember a damn thing about the episode after the first 2-3 minutes :X

Quasar

Found this in a ANN article about Your Lie in April.

An advance screening of the anime's first two episodes was held at United Cinema Toyosu in Tokyo on Sunday. The event announced that the manga will conclude in spring 2015, and the anime will run for two cours and adapt the manga through the last chapter.

Sad the manga is ending so soon, but its nice that the anime version is the whole thing rather than just the first act as a way to sell manga/LNs.

Found this is a ANN article about Your Lie in April.

Sad the manga is ending so soon, but its nice that the anime version is the whole thing rather than just the first act as a way to sell manga/LNs.

It's good news for the anime at least. I undecided on whether I would read the manga instead of the anime, but I guess I don't strictly need to now.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate - 5

Yeesh, so these SERN people are
doing human experiments that cause people to turn into a gelatinous green-like substance like those microwaved bananas?

This is getting more and more ominous.

And what the hell was up with pigtails girl near the beginning? Never mind Kurisu, I bet she's
the real SERN agent!

the details are so important. It will definitely keep you on your toes!

I really want to watch Bebop on blu ray now.

I think most people are impatiently waiting.
this year has been just amazing for releases.

Quasar

It's good news for the anime at least. I undecided on whether I would read the manga instead of the anime, but I guess I don't strictly need to now.

Yeah. Especially given its based on a manga and not a novel. So you don't lose all the material you normally lose going from prose to a visual medium.

Narag

For anyone who cares, the Again!! jdrama adaptation ended after the first baseball game with a pretty conclusive ending.

I still admire the fact that Jdrama writers don't give one single fuck about the source material in terms of trying not to upset the balance. Their shows need to end in 10 episodes and they'll find a way to end it, even if it means "ruining" the manga ending in some way. That's the way anime writers should operate!

Get an avatar, you bum.

Overman King Gainer Ep. 3

This was an improvement in some ways but...

iC1CzF74BW4oX.gif

ibiU1PzmZmsRUV.gif

Jesus Christ. This is going to be worse than I had anticipated. There's a term for this, it's called enlightened sexism.

Out of context this might be acceptable but the build up to it was handled in a really poor manner.

Should mention that I have full faith in UBW after hearing the Archer vs. Lancer fight was 10+ minutes.

I remember that fight in the VN.

They tried so hard to tell me about how good it was but the same still image shaking along the screen with sound effects and blue/red colors flashing don't really do it for me.

Man feels like the calm before the storm, I'm actually caught up on everything and none of the new fall shows I plan to watch start until Friday or next week. Guess I can use this week to kill off a back log show or two or put extra time into Persona 3 FES

cajunator

Banned
How dandy is this space guy? Is he as dandy as the Irresponsible Captain Tylor per se?

hes pretty neat , but Justy Ueki Tylor is REALLY special. Its hard to compare anything to him. His level of sloth and woman wooing skills are incomparable.

Sign me up for:

GBF 2
Log Horizon 2
Chaika
Amagi Brilliant Park
Fate Stay/Night

Where is In&#333;-Battle wa Nichij&#333;-kei no Naka de?

The Studio Trigger generic looking show.

Very strong lineup. This will be a solid season even if just those are good.

Man feels like the calm before the storm, I'm actually caught up on everything and none of the new fall shows I plan to watch start until Friday or next week. Guess I can use this week to kill off a back log show or two or put extra time into Persona 3 FES

Persona 3 FES son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom