• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Simulcast Schedule (Thanks Midonin!)

Times are UTC/EDT/PDT

Sunday
CR - Celestial Method -14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - Cross Ange - 9:00/5:00/2:00
CR - Gugure! Kokkuri-san 19:05/15:05/12:05
CR - The Fruit of Grisaia - 17:00/13:00/10:00
CR - Tribe Cool Crew - 22:00/18:00/15:00
CR - Wolf Girl and Black Prince - 15:30/11:30/8:30

Monday
CR - Inou Battle wa Nichijou kei no Naka de - 18:05/14:05/11:05
CR - Kaitou Joker - 11:30/8:30/4:30
FN - Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - 15:30/11:30/8:30
CR- Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road - 17:30/13:30/10:30

Tuesday
CR - Akatsuki no Yona - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Trinity Seven - 20:40/16:40/13:40

Wednesday
CR -Chaika -The Coffin Princess- AVENGING BATTLE - 17:05/13:05/10:05
YT - Gundam Build Fighters TRY - 11:00 7:00/4:00- link
CR - Hi-sCool! Seha Girls - 14:00/10:00/7:00
CR - Parasyte -the maxim- - 17:29/13:29/10:29

Thursday
CR - Denki-gai no Honya-san - 14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying - 15:30/11:30/8:30
FN - Ore Twintail ni Narimasu - 18:46/14:46/11:46
FN - Psycho-Pass 2 - 16:50/12:50/9:50
CR - SHIROBAKO - 15:30/11:30/8:30
CR - Your lie in April - 19:00/15:00/12:00
CR - Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - 18:19/14:19/11:19

Friday
FN - Donten ni Warau - 18:28/14:28/11:28
FN- GARO THE ANIMATION - 17:23/13:23/10:23
FN - selector spread WIXOSS - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Terraformars - 16:30/12:30/9:30

Saturday
CR - Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Karen Senki - 15:00/11:00/8:00
CR - Log Horizon 2 - 11:30/7:30/4:30
FN - Madan no Ou to Vanadis - 14:00/10:00/7:00
FN - Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete - 17:30/13:30/11:30
CR - World Trigger - 22:30/18:30/15:30

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki
HL = Hulu
YT = YouTube (direct link to channel next to show)

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Show OTs:
Akame ga Kill! |OT|
Amagi Brilliant Park |OT|
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works |OT|
Gundam Build Fighters TRY |OT|
Gundam Reconguista in G |OT|
Log Horizon S2 |OT|
Parasyte -the maxim- |OT|
Rage of Bahamut Genesis |OT|
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT|
Shirobako |OT|
Sword Art Online II |OT|
When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace |OT|
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914689"]Your Lie in April |OT|

[/URL]

Also this really should be included in OPs going forward as it’s a really great resource, especially for those new to the community.

Please find below a potential resource post for future threads. If I was better at design, I'd make something far less ugly.

Online Resources

GAF's very own anime recommendation threads!

So you're probably wondering: what anime should I watch? We aim to point you in the right direction with these general threads but if you ever want specific recommendations tailored to your personal preferences just ask away in the thread.

NeoGAF Top Anime List --RESULTS--
- While this poll is from 2007 this is still a damn fine list, especially the top 20.
The retro, classic, nostalgic, unmissable anime list thread - A great resource for those looking for classic anime. Titles covered here range from the 60's to the early 90's.
Lesser known Anime from the 2000's: Because they still make great anime
- For those who haven't watched that much anime you may wish to start you journey elsewhere as this thread largely covers titles non-mainstream titles that haven't received enough attention.
The Metalist - A giant and unwieldy list of lists. I can't vouch that all, or any, of the threads listed here contain any useful information whatsoever!

Reviews, comment and insight about anime from Gaffers

Dirty Pair - Project Eden by Instro
Elfin Lied by phoenix296
Giant Robo -by Jexhius
Giovanni's Island bu Branduil
Ghost in the Shell (1995) vs Innocence (2004) by Duckroll
Gundam Build Fighters: Episode 21: Amid the Glittering Particles- by CorvoSol
Hells - by cosmicblizzard
Hunter x Hunter Narag
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade Typographenia
Log Horizon by Jexhius
Ninja Scroll by Typographenia
Patlabor by Jexhius
Pupipo! - by hosannainexcelsis
The Big O: Thoughts and analysis by CorvoSol
The Mystical Laws BGBW
The Snow Queen by Instro
The History of AnimeGAF - Nafe

NeoGAF Anime of the Year Lists - Because popularity matters

While popularity isn't a guarantor of quality, it's certainly a useful indicator. These threads aren't worth reading simply to see what anime ranked where, but to read the thoughtful reviews written by Gaffers.

Sakuga - Resources that focus on the art of animation (sakuga)

List of Sakuga Anime - Self explanatory. Remember, the focus here is on the quality of the animation, not necessarily the story.
Sakuga: The Animation of Anime Panel - A 16 part series of videos that serves as an introduction to the concept of Sakuga. This involves a general overview of the subject, an overview of different styles a detailed look at specific animators. A must watch for anyone interested in animation.
BlueSakuga's page features an excellent collection of MAD's, videos that focus on hihglighting particular animators or techniques.
Sakugabooru - A collection of sakuga, in gif and webm form.
Sakuga Spreadsheet

Anime Blogs

There's a million and one anime blogs on the internet, but most of them aren't worth your time. Here's a snapshot of blogs that you should check out.
Anipages - Easily the best blog for those looking for discussion about the actual art of animation. The author of this blog, Ben Ettinger, has a such a comprehensive knowledge of the field that can generally recognise who animated a scene simply by watching it.
anime year by year - A rather ambition project by ex-gaffer Tamerlane. To use his own words: "This blog is a history of anime, year by year, combining historical background and aesthetic interpretation. There will be a post for each year discussing the merits of specific anime as well as general trends of the industry in depth. This is a constant work in progress, meaning old posts will still be updated as I watch new shows, learn new pieces of contextual info, and change my mind on shows I’ve already seen."
Golden Ani-Versary 1963-2012 - Another year by year history of anime, except that in this case each year is written up by a different writer. As you'd imagine, this means that the quality of the content here is fairly uneven. It's still useful in so much as it gives a general introduction to what came out in a given year and why it mattered.

The Business of Making Anime

Posts and features which focus on how anime is made.
The anime production line - A really great post by Ben Ettinger which gives an overview of how an anime is actually produced.
The Anime Economy
- A series of ANN features about the business reality of producing and distributing an anime.
Anime Sales - An up to date guide for about sales figures for anime DVD's/BD's actually mean.

Generic Anime Resources

Anichart - See when the next episode of a show will air in Japan.
Catsuka - A French language animation resource.
ANN - The most well known English language anime resource. While their coverage is truly extensive the quality of their reviews is questionable and their encyclopaedia is not always accurate.
What is moe http://www.japanesestudies.org.uk/articles/2009/Galbraith.html

Anime List/User Review Sites

MyAnimeList
Hummingbird

Podcasts

ANNcast featuring Chad Kime (Genenon/Pioneer) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03 and the ANNcast featuring Robert Napton (Bandai Entertainment) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-02-27 - These podcasts provide a perspective of how the NA market used to be from the 1980s (Napton) until the crash where Geneon went out and then when Bandai left the market in 2012. They're good resources to see the past of the NA anime market.
Bravo Whiskey Cast - Featuring AnimeGAF's own firehawk12!
Anime World Order - While this isn't updated particularly regular it has a great back catalogue of shows, especially for older anime.
Aya Suzuki Interview - The Pegbar and Grill podcast (a podcast that focuses on interviewing people who work in animation) where they talk to Aya Suzuki, a English/Japanese animator who worked on The Illusionist, Wolf's Children, The Dream Machine and The Wind Rises, among other things. This is probably one of the more informative interviews I've had on what it's like to work in the anime industry as it covers stuff like working hours, pay, working conditions, work flow, staffing, skill expectations etc etc.

Narag

So this season is coming to an end and there’s little else to be done but wrap up this season and begin looking forward to the next. That said, I’d like to ask everyone to indulge me in a little diversion that the Anime-gaf twitter and irc community is already involved in. I’d be remiss to not offer the same opportunity to those that frequent this thread and none of the extra avenues the community maintains.

The long and short of it is our very own Sabre made a terrible bet with me that was going to result in me choosing his avatar for a month. Given I’m not really all that involved in that matter but everyone else is looking forward to it, I settled on five dog girl avatars for the community to choose from ranging from something merciful to something more traditional yet devoid of mercy. And before you ask, yes, I did scour the net for dog girl Saber stuff and it was mostly bad aside from the tiny dog sized Saber pic and maybe that terrible art one celebrating the birthday of the North American F-86D Sabre. So there's that.

That’s not to say this is a set deal because it’s still possible he wins the bet and this is all for naught but I’d like to be prepared and, who knows, maybe get some people in his corner since he’s standing alone at the moment.

Sports-bros explanation
Sabre bet that his NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, would make the playoffs and it’s looking increasingly unlikely that it’d happen. He was so confident in this decision that he made the above bet without asking any penalty from me in return and while it’s possible he’ll still win, the odds are increasingly unlikely given who they have yet to play and their dependence on other teams to fail so that they might sneak into the post-season.

Non-sports-bros explanation
Sabre has terrible judgement skills and made a losing bet.

In addition to wearing the avatar for a month, he also upped the ante by saying he’d end everyone post in -wan or ,wan or some variation of such for maximum moe.

Here are the candidates ranging from least cruel to most. Please consider the pros and cons of each:

jRQBrbR.png

Caster from Fate/Extra
Pros:
  • The most merciful option for Sabre as he’d probably enjoy this one.
  • Popularized by the song “Everyone want to be a Caster” from Disney’s 1970 movie The Aristocasters
Cons:
  • Technically not a dog girl.
  • A tiny hat.
  • Animegaf suffers a -3 saving throw vs tiny hats
  • Mercy is for the weak.

upfz3dO.png

Yukari Akiyama from Girls und Panzer
Pros:
  • Yukari looking more fuwa fuwa than ever.
  • dem floppy ears
Cons:
  • This avatar’s pretty good and best saved for someone to use by choice rather than as any sort of penalty.

e0xr7tI.png

Kyouko Kasodani from Touhou
Pros:
  • Ideal playmate for MrJeff.
  • Shipping possibilities with MrJeff are limitless.
Cons:
  • Technically not anime since it’s a Touhou.

pkGlTHI.png

Bismarck from Kantai Collection
Pros:
  • Topical since Kancolle is airing next season.
Cons:
  • Kancolle is airing next season.

hrkf6SY.png

Milhiore Firianno Biscotti from Dog Days
Pros:
  • Traditional anime avatar of choice for NFL-GAF losers to wear so there’s a storied history behind it.
  • We’re getting more Dog Days next season!!
  • Moe as fuck
  • Avatar complements a post ending with -wan most.
Cons:
  • None.

Click here to vote! after considering which avatar is most fitting for Sabre to wan wan with.
Once his team is mathematically eliminated from the post-season, we’ll go with whatever’s the current #1 vote getter. Campaign away, ask your friends to vote if you want, and perhaps have a little fun with this.

Jarmel

Banned
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animated-short-film-ochibi#home
I am posting this project today to ask help from the Indiegogo community, on a film I am making in collaboration with a renowned manga-artist Moyoco Anno. We are creating a short film version of her book “The Diary of Ochibi”. I’m thrilled for this opportunity as I’ve been a fan of Moyoco Anno’s work for a long time.

Why, of all the projects, is the one done with Anno's wife underfunded?

Best thread title, sasuga Narag.
So this season is coming to an end and there’s little else to be done but wrap up this season and begin looking forward to the next. That said, I’d like to ask everyone to indulge me in a little diversion that the Anime-gaf twitter and irc community is already involved in. I’d be remiss to not offer the same opportunity to those that frequent this thread and none of the extra avenues the community maintains.

The long and short of it is our very own Sabre made a terrible bet with me that was going to result in me choosing his avatar for a month. Given I’m not really all that involved in that matter but everyone else is looking forward to it, I settled on five dog girl avatars for the community to choose from ranging from something merciful to something more traditional yet devoid of mercy. And before you ask, yes, I did scour the net for dog girl Saber stuff and it was mostly bad aside from the tiny dog sized Saber pic and maybe that terrible art one celebrating the birthday of the North American F-86D Sabre. So there's that.

That’s not to say this is a set deal because it’s still possible he wins the bet and this is all for naught but I’d like to be prepared and, who knows, maybe get some people in his corner since he’s standing alone at the moment.

Sports-bros explanation
Sabre bet that his NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, would make the playoffs and it’s looking increasingly unlikely that it’d happen. He was so confident in this decision that he made the above bet without asking any penalty from me in return and while it’s possible he’ll still win, the odds are increasingly unlikely given who they have yet to play and their dependence on other teams to fail so that they might sneak into the post-season.

In addition to wearing the avatar for a month, he also upped the ante by saying he’d end everyone post in -wan or ,wan or some variation of such for maximum moe.

Here are the candidates ranging from least cruel to most. Please consider the pros and cons of each:
Click here to vote! after considering which avatar is most fitting for Sabre to wan wan with.
Once his team is mathematically eliminated from the post-season, we’ll go with whatever’s the current #1 vote getter. Campaign away, ask your friends to vote if you want, and perhaps have a little fun with this.
All for dangerously mofu Milhi, as I plan on using the Yukari one later!

Enron

Banned
There is only wan choice, my friends. The traditional wan. Sometimes, the old ways are best.

Wan man, Wan vote.

I guess this is an awful time to mention that I am in fact re-watching the previous season of Dog Days because I've completely forgotten most of what happened that season and want to 'prepare' myself for the new season.

Midonin

I'm secretly waiting for the moment when Sora no Method or Yuyuyu comes out as a surprise hit of the season.

That moment is in the now.

Though my favorite of the season is Twintails. I'll allow it and Yuyuyu to tie for that position.

Also, the animal of the next season is not dogs, but bears.

New thread already ?
Who will post the hall of shame ?

That would be me.

Code:
cajunator	837
MikeHattsu	659
Jarmel	609
TUSR	532
R_thanatos	515
Midonin	490
fertygo	429
Narag	420
Admiral Woofington	356
Jexhius	347
MetroidPrimeRib	342
Branduil	322
duckroll	316
KuwabaraTheMan	296
Clov	282
Dedication Through Light	280
[B]nintendoman58	273[/B]
wonzo	272
BassForever	271
mankoto	265
Shard	250
Syrinx	232
Turin Turambar	226
June	224
CheapJuice	219
phoenix296	213
NaDannMaGoGo	207
UltraGunner	206
jgminto	201
Mature	199
phaze	193
SliceSabre	190
Quasar	179
Dresden	170
Basileus777	166
Link Man	164
AquaWateria	163
jbug617	161
effingvic	149
Femmeworth	146
BGBW	144
dimb	139
ShinRPGamer	136
ZachDeKoromaru	136
Thoraxes	133
hosannainexcelsis	126
Sibersk Esto	125
Save 'N Quit	119
CorvoSol	118
Haly	118
KirbYuuYuu	113
Envelope	112
jman2050	109
Psycho_Mantis	109
firehawk12	108
strangedopamine	106
Defuser	104

That would be me.

Code:
cajunator	837
MikeHattsu	659
Jarmel	609
TUSR	532
[B]R_thanatos	515[/B]

I'm in Top 5 ?
What the heck ? Is this real life.

-----------
Since that bullying post about Pool is set i'll just say that FATE/EXTRA Caster is BEST CASTER, don't mistake her for FATE/CC Caster that is roughly the same but i make a distinction.FATE EXTRA > FATE CC >>> Other casters that don't matter in the fate Multiverse.

cajunator

Banned

Sports-bros explanation

jRQBrbR.png

Caster from Fate/Extra
Pros:
  • The most merciful option for Sabre as he’d probably enjoy this one.
  • Popularized by the song “Everyone want to be a Caster” from Disney’s 1970 movie The Aristocasters
Cons:
  • Technically not a dog girl.
  • A tiny hat.
  • Animegaf suffers a -3 saving throw vs tiny hats
  • Mercy is for the weak.

upfz3dO.png

Yukari Akiyama from Girls und Panzer
Pros:
  • Yukari looking more fuwa fuwa than ever.
  • dem floppy ears
Cons:
  • This avatar’s pretty good and best saved for someone to use by choice rather than as any sort of penalty.

e0xr7tI.png

Kyouko Kasodani from Touhou
Pros:
  • Ideal playmate for MrJeff.
  • Shipping possibilities with MrJeff are limitless.
Cons:
  • Technically not anime since it’s a Touhou.

pkGlTHI.png

Bismarck from Kantai Collection
Pros:
  • Topical since Kancolle is airing next season.
Cons:
  • Kancolle is airing next season.

hrkf6SY.png

Milhiore Firianno Biscotti from Dog Days
Pros:
  • Traditional anime avatar of choice for NFL-GAF losers to wear so there’s a storied history behind it.
  • We’re getting more Dog Days next season!!
  • Moe as fuck
  • Avatar complements a post ending with -wan most.
Cons:
  • None.

These avatars are BEAUTIFUL
I want to cry

The last one was already given to someone by Hito. Maybe you give him that one as a tribute.
Otherwise, Yukari wan is the TRUTH

Narag

Well the old thread is almost three months old so if you posted even just two to three posts a day in it you'd be up there because of how many posts the wall went to.

I dream of a world where we only need one anime OT instead of these unnecessary second ones.

HI scool Seha girls - 10

A very good JET SET RADIO episode , complete with sega saturn bullying .... stupid references in sound effects and old stuff.

Surprised they didn't make fun AGAIn of the dreamcast internet access.

READY for the phantasy star episode next week.

Woo, I'm done with finals! That means I can finally catch up on all the shows I've been missing. Starting with

Parasyte 10

Izumi clearly is still human, judging by his response to all that bloodshed. I was a bit bummed that we didn't get a sick hand to hand fight and Izumi
took out that dude with a rock from far away.

Clov

I made it in the top 20. I feel like I posted more in the last thread, for some reason.

Anyway, did my part and voted. Went with the Touhou one. Hopefully Sabre will like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom