• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
20min Walk From Nishi-Ogikubo Station, 2 Bedrooms, Living Room, Dining Room, Kitchen, 2mos Deposit, No Pets Allowed

AKA the animator expo thing.
Really nice animation and style (and I mean really, really nice) although NSFW in nature, but not like ME!ME!ME! was. It seems all the good expos this year have nudity in them! Take that Duckroll!
I particularly liked the sound effects, they were very well done.
Definitely worth checking out, at least. The staff list is pretty stuffed with talent and it shows.

Jarmel

Banned
Like half of its synonyms are negative. Melodrama in itself doesn't have to be bad, but it's often a sign of lazy storytelling. Your Lie in April is a heavy example of melodrama fitting a work poorly. The subject matter and world are grounded, but emotionally the show just feels unhinged. It's hard to have peaks and valleys when characters seem to cry multiple times an episode, or always seem to be on edge. Inner turmoil is primarily derived through outrageous examples of trauma, dampening the show's human element. This has repercussions across the show. In terms of presentation, the series is extremely reflective, drowning in thought monologues and flashbacks that span the entire cast. This style slows momentum by limiting cross character interactions, but the show's melodramatic interpretation of trauma truly brings everything to a halt, and viewers are left watching the show try to dissect bizarre caricatures. Trapped inside the character's heads these self conscious nightmares are blown up even further, turning to grating and eventually comical as characters struggle to cope with outrageous events. I think the last episode had almost no dialogue, and when it did that dialogue took place in a flashback.

In short, it fucks up the pacing and everything is so sharply removed from reality; that all you're doing is watching a bunch of cartoons parade as humans.

wonzo

Banned
savinganime45.jpg

first casualty of my wallet in the rightstuf stale

i should get around to posting the stuff i picked up over the past several months…

Prototype

Horo's wittiness and sexiness helps a lot.
S3 never ;__;
Also since you like scifi I would like to recommend Dennou Coil
Adding it to the list.

And to follow up on persona anime, I watched the first episode. I didn't like it that much. Putting it on hold for now. Tonight I'm going to burn thru as much kill la kill as I can.

JCG

And it didn't. when the truth happenned, nobody was happy , but that too was fine because geass , just went into something crazier for a finale nobody was able to top

Maybe Samurai Flamenco?

It's different enough, but there are a few communicating vessels, in how they both reflect the yin and yang of what can make an anime good or not good.

I don't mind the rest of your post but saying "nobody" is kind of disingenuous though, as many were happy with the Geass finale. It's not too unusual here.

Maybe Samurai Flamenco?

It's different enough, but there are a few communicating vessels, in how they both reflect the yin and yang of what can make an anime good or not good.

I don't mind the rest of your post but saying "nobody" is kind of disingenuous though, as many were happy with the Geass finale. It's not too unusual here.

Samurai Flamenco is close to being Geass level I would say. I should've mentioned that was on the series I enjoyed a lot.

Had to double check when the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray would ship to see if I would be able to take it with me for my month long vacation.

Thank god it'd be delivered right before I head out. Well supposedly.

Full Metal Panic! Fumofuu! - 1

Oh my. What have I stumbled upon? The KyoAni animation. The Sousuke antics. The way how nice and CLEAN everything looks.

This, this is going to be a special one.
Yep it's good.

Maybe Samurai Flamenco?

No , you misunderstand me.
When i said "the truth" i'm talking about the truth about nunally
eyes
, and the reveal about the emperor and her wife.
I'm not talking about the finale, that is another can of worms i'm not opening , since i've said that nobody was able to top it ( meaning i liked it ).

Samurai Flamenco is close to being Geass level I would say. I should've mentioned that was on the series I enjoyed a lot.

Close, yeah but , well still not on the same level even if it was enjoyable.

I told you!

Well, I didn't exactly have any doubts, haha.

Accel World - 1

MC is pretty pathetic, but then again, so was Simon from TTGL at the start of his show, so that gives me hope he grows out of it and mans up at some point later on.

For a first episode though, it wasn't that bad. It set up some basic rules about the world and how things worked in it. And I liked how the girl who is obviously the main love interest for this show encouraged him to let him get hit by the bully's attack to effectively get him on a security camera, rather than dodge it just to make him look like a boss.

Still have some doubts about this show, what with it being written by the same guy who wrote SAO and all, but all in all, this first episode was pretty good. I liked it.

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - 10

You don't need Sdburton glasses , you see the SHIPPING between those 2 .
I mean that was common sense before BUT Goddamn , with the flashback that is so obvious !

Yuki%20Yuna%20wa%20Yusha%20de%20Aru%20-%2010_01.jpg
Yuki%20Yuna%20wa%20Yusha%20de%20Aru%20-%2010_02.jpg

And she says :"alright" afterwards !

Just look at that irrefutable proof above. ^^^^

Togo, Well , shit just got real ... You always were a good character, but goddamn , that
suicide scene...
you cannot get "realler" than that ... The truth is out , on all fronts and the alternatives sucks BIG TIME.
GUYS , I want a good ending ..we're getting fruther than it by the minute , how the heck are we supposed to bring a good ending after this ?

As for yuna , well the word "hero" was made for her:
Yuki%20Yuna%20wa%20Yusha%20de%20Aru%20-%2010_03.jpg

You don't say

Those big reveals hide another thing about taisha , and it's obvious now Fu & Itsuki
Parents that misteriously disapeared ? Well i'm not buying it .. It's now obvious that taisha knew who had the aptitude, so it's clear that they tried to rebel and died as a result. I mean i don't hate the taisha... they are basicly in survival mode and one mistake and it's GAME OVER , so every once of firepower need to be used but i don't even know if bringing this to the mind of Fu & itsuki won't break Fu even fruther.

I'm not even sure , who are the bad guys ? the vertexes ? ( that's the default answer but i'm not satisfied. )
I so want to bring "everything will be alright" but i can't convince myself .

JCG

Looks like we're on a similar page then, about both shows.

No , you misunderstand me.
When i said "the truth" i'm talking about the truth about nunally
eyes
, and the reveal about the emperor and her wife.
I'm not talking about the finale, that is another can of worms i'm not opening , since i've said that nobody was able to top it ( meaning i liked it ).

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was looking at that in a slightly more general sense. Some of it could be seen coming but yes, that was kind of disappointing (though not un-amusing).

wonzo

Banned
animator expo

Carnage

this was pretty awesome tho it bums me out the "final confrontation" was never shown

gundam sakuga amv

based itano & yasuhiko

Nishi-Ogikubo

anime metamorphosis. bets one yet

if someone told me not long after lwa came out that studio khara would be pumping out better stuff than trigger i probably would've burst out laughing. how foolish i was…

You can like twintails, lips and legs at the same time - 10

This episode would have been great if the animation was good. unfortunatly it was VERY BAD. Like the only thing that wasn't bad was the stock footage they already used 4 times since the start of the show.*

A total shame since i couldn't witness spider guildy fight at the glory it deserved to be.

Ryuuroden

Psycho-Pass 2 - Ep 10

And Akane joining the magnificent trio that is Kira Yamato, Onii-san, and Kirito (SAO Kirito of course) confirmed.

It is now the magnificent trio + 1 magnificent lady

Heroman - 1

This really kind of doesn't qualify as a mecha anime.

I mean yeah, it's a giant robot. But it's a partner giant robot with an anime human face while the kid stands to the side. I mean yeah, he's pretty much remote controlling it sure.

But to say this a mecha anime is to say that Big Hero 6 was a mecha movie.

Other than that though, I like how "comic-booky" the plot is. I mean, professor tries to make contact with aliens, said aliens then proceed to get ready to invade Earth. Boy finds toy robot in the garbage, fixes it up, robot gets struck by lightning, turning it into a super action hero robot!

This is obviously because of the fact that the writer of the manga this show comes from is the man himself, Stan Lee. Speaking of whom, ANIME STAN LEE EVERYBODY!

c06inXJ.png

Yeah Joey Jones, get back there and give Stan Lee his coffee!

You know, it's a shame this show was apparently never dubbed. Because with it being set in America and all, you'd think it'd benefit from having some English VA's in there no? Oh well.

Crocodile

Nishi-Ogikubo

The framerate seemed to fluctuate from scene to scene. It started out kind of choppy, became super smooth, transitioned into the "freakout" cut and became kind of choppy again. Was the choppiness to represent the daze of just waking up and disorientation? Great short though I was pretty confused why the boyfirend kept seeing her as a roach until the end revealed it was a a dream. Was there an underlying message here? Like "respect life", "be aware of the little things", etc.

if someone told me not long after lwa came out that studio khara would be pumping out better stuff than trigger i probably would've burst out laughing. how foolish i was…

How big are these respective stuides in comparison to each other? My assumption was that Khara is much larger and has a bigger backroll with the Eva movies and merch and whatnot.

Midonin

I mean yeah, it's a giant robot. But it's a partner giant robot with an anime human face while the kid stands to the side. I mean yeah, he's pretty much remote controlling it sure.

Tetsujin 28, widely considered one of the first mecha anime ever, is exactly like that. I'd say it counts.

Narag

Heroman - 1

Next you'll be shitting on Giant Robo.

Heroman - 1

Other than that though, I like how "comic-booky" the plot is. I mean, professor tries to make contact with aliens, said aliens then proceed to get ready to invade Earth. Boy finds toy robot in the garbage, fixes it up, robot gets struck by lightning, turning it into a super action hero robot!

This is obviously because of the fact that the writer of the manga this show comes from is the man himself, Stan Lee. Speaking of whom, ANIME STAN LEE EVERYBODY!

You know, it's a shame this show was apparently never dubbed. Because with it being set in America and all, you'd think it'd benefit from having some English VA's in there no? Oh well.

the show doesn't have many fans, but I loved how hilariously 'MURICA it is for an anime. Also the fact the villains are so simplistic in their archetypes.

"Mr. Alien Commander there is a planet called earth within our vicinity"

"Let's go fuck shit up"

Also
UXsWDHd.jpg

Tetsujin 28, widely considered one of the first mecha anime ever, is exactly like that. I'd say it counts.

Next you'll be shitting on Giant Robo.

Ahahaha. Sorry. I guess I'm just so used to mecha shows involving someone controlling a mecha from the inside, I never really thought about it that way.

Don't take it that I don't like shows that do giant robots that way though. I loved Big Hero 6, and depending on this show's story, I might just end up liking Heroman too!

the show doesn't have many fans, but I loved how hilariously 'MURICA it is for an anime.

The fact that this show never got a dub to compensate for this is pretty depressing, TBH.

Narag

Dog Days' 2

hWMOHFGl.png

Just need Brioche in there and we'd have the top three.

How war is handled in this is so refreshing, just one big game with lunch breaks and shit.

However....

Rebecca's transformation robbed me of the last of my innocence. help

DEATH™

Amagi Brilliant Park 11

Darn it sucks...
252 people short and 3 hours left till deadline.

I seriously expect a bad/bittersweet ending...

Twintails 10

The low budget was especially noticeable in this episode. It's a testament to the show that I still find it fun to watch in spite of that. Still, I have to entertain the idea of a Twintail series with a significantly increased budget.

I finally understand the
"girlyboy"
part now. It confused me last episode but it's clear what they meant with that now.

This episode left on a pretty interesting note.
Did Soji's personal crisis over his new-found appreciation for lips and confliction with twintails cause him to transform? He doesn't have the gear on so I'm assuming he can't simply change back, and he didn't seem to have any issue being in his female form when Aika woke him up.
Can't wait to see what happens next week.

Twintail fans deserve bad things.

No.

Well Ghoda is really good at what he does.
I love the character because you know the guy is not a good guy, it's obvious, heck the anime addresses this in the first meeting, but regardless you can't counter the manipulation.. he is that good and that's what make him interesting, he is competent, even when people are expecting him. The ability of a great character.

I have to agree. When I first saw him, I kinda groaned because the guy looked so blatantly evil that it was almost cringe-worthy but now I'm interested in seeing what he does next.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I didn't exactly have any doubts, haha.

Accel World - 1

MC is pretty pathetic, but then again, so was Simon from TTGL at the start of his show, so that gives me hope he grows out of it and mans up at some point later on.

For a first episode though, it wasn't that bad. It set up some basic rules about the world and how things worked in it. And I liked how the girl who is obviously the main love interest for this show encouraged him to let him get hit by the bully's attack to effectively get him on a security camera, rather than dodge it just to make him look like a boss.

Still have some doubts about this show, what with it being written by the same guy who wrote SAO and all, but all in all, this first episode was pretty good. I liked it.

Haru is reallllly whiny for a lot of the show. He eventually toughens up but lets just say the Kuroyukihime truly loves him because she puts up with a lot of his coward shit. Hes very Shinji-like.

On the Twelfth day of Christmas, my RightStuf gave to me:

.Hack//Quantum: $8
Buy some UMDs bundle (Yes this is a thing): $4
Blue Drop: $12
Darker Than Black: $20 for S1 $24 for S2
Deadman Wonderland $14
Jubei Chan $12
Mecha Masters DVD set (Includes M.D. Geist I & II Collector's Series, Cybernetics Guardian, Genocyber: The Collection, M.D. Geist and Genocyber I Soundtracks and bonus disc in an "ultra cool collector's box"): $10
MIKUNOPOLIS in Los Angeles Blu-ray: $45 (Aniplex)
Rozen Maiden: $17.50
Rozen Maiden Overture: $10.50
Trigun Anime: $16
Trigun Manga: $10
Trigun Maximum: $10.40 each

...And a few other things as well!

Edit: Right at the bottom of the page. Can anyone quote this post for page 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom