• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New OT! Still haven't watched shit! Yay!

So this season is coming to an end and there’s little else to be done but wrap up this season and begin looking forward to the next. That said, I’d like to ask everyone to indulge me in a little diversion that the Anime-gaf twitter and irc community is already involved in. I’d be remiss to not offer the same opportunity to those that frequent this thread and none of the extra avenues the community maintains.

The long and short of it is our very own Sabre made a terrible bet with me that was going to result in me choosing his avatar for a month. Given I’m not really all that involved in that matter but everyone else is looking forward to it, I settled on five dog girl avatars for the community to choose from ranging from something merciful to something more traditional yet devoid of mercy. And before you ask, yes, I did scour the net for dog girl Saber stuff and it was mostly bad aside from the tiny dog sized Saber pic and maybe that terrible art one celebrating the birthday of the North American F-86D Sabre. So there's that.

That’s not to say this is a set deal because it’s still possible he wins the bet and this is all for naught but I’d like to be prepared and, who knows, maybe get some people in his corner since he’s standing alone at the moment.

Sports-bros explanation
Sabre bet that his NFL team, the Cleveland Browns, would make the playoffs and it’s looking increasingly unlikely that it’d happen. He was so confident in this decision that he made the above bet without asking any penalty from me in return and while it’s possible he’ll still win, the odds are increasingly unlikely given who they have yet to play and their dependence on other teams to fail so that they might sneak into the post-season.

Non-sports-bros explanation
Sabre has terrible judgement skills and made a losing bet.

In addition to wearing the avatar for a month, he also upped the ante by saying he’d end everyone post in -wan or ,wan or some variation of such for maximum moe.

Here are the candidates ranging from least cruel to most. Please consider the pros and cons of each:

jRQBrbR.png

Caster from Fate/Extra
Pros:
  • The most merciful option for Sabre as he’d probably enjoy this one.
  • Popularized by the song “Everyone want to be a Caster” from Disney’s 1970 movie The Aristocasters
Cons:
  • Technically not a dog girl.
  • A tiny hat.
  • Animegaf suffers a -3 saving throw vs tiny hats
  • Mercy is for the weak.

upfz3dO.png

Yukari Akiyama from Girls und Panzer
Pros:
  • Yukari looking more fuwa fuwa than ever.
  • dem floppy ears
Cons:
  • This avatar’s pretty good and best saved for someone to use by choice rather than as any sort of penalty.

e0xr7tI.png

Kyouko Kasodani from Touhou
Pros:
  • Ideal playmate for MrJeff.
  • Shipping possibilities with MrJeff are limitless.
Cons:
  • Technically not anime since it’s a Touhou.

pkGlTHI.png

Bismarck from Kantai Collection
Pros:
  • Topical since Kancolle is airing next season.
Cons:
  • Kancolle is airing next season.

hrkf6SY.png

Milhiore Firianno Biscotti from Dog Days
Pros:
  • Traditional anime avatar of choice for NFL-GAF losers to wear so there’s a storied history behind it.
  • We’re getting more Dog Days next season!!
  • Moe as fuck
  • Avatar complements a post ending with -wan most.
Cons:
  • None.

Click here to vote! after considering which avatar is most fitting for Sabre to wan wan with.
Once his team is mathematically eliminated from the post-season, we’ll go with whatever’s the current #1 vote getter. Campaign away, ask your friends to vote if you want, and perhaps have a little fun with this.

I'm a bully. It's a hard job, but it must be done. I bullied that Sabre like a MiG-15.

animegaf.... is now bullygaf

RIP sabre

This is what bully culture looks like.

attachment.php

"What's a wan?"

A miserable pile of mofu

Code Geass : Lelouch of the Rebellion

This is going to be awful. Where do I even begin.

I think the last series I enjoyed this much was probably Kaiji or Gundam Build Fighters, which wasn't too long ago I guess. But unlike those two shows, I feel like Geass is special. Special in the way that it's the perfect kind of stupid. The stupid where it makes me shake my head or laugh but also kind of makes sense, in a stupid crazy Sunrise way. After watching the big bro, I can see why Valvrave or Cross Ange are considered lesser. It seems to me to be like the Evangelion clones, where they take bits of pieces in trying to replicate it, but they never can. It's not possible.

Going into Geass (Beyond what I originally watched only the first 10 episodes sometime in 2008 around when R2 was starting) I knew only some of the base things about the series - Pizza Hut, Emperor Wakamoto, Spinzaku. But as I went along, I found myself saying "Oh, that's where that's from" a lot. Like I somehow never made the connection about the Euphynator PARTY HARD .gif or that picture of Suzaku holding Lelouch holding Shirley making a 20 foot long people chain, or Suzaku's fish he will now proceed to pleasure himself with. This is by far in my favor, as all the stupid bullshit presented to my face was raw.

Now I say stupid bullshit, but it's not bad stupid bullshit. It's the kind of stupid bullshit that people (i.e.) me want to see. The kind of stupid bullshit you get in an episode were everyone wears giant heart hats on their head and Not-Lelouch performs amazing gymnastics to avoid girls who want him to be their boyfriend. Now of course others (read:most) people will think it's just the regular 'ol stupid bullshit, but understand I'm coming from a place where there was a series I loved but didn't know it for 8 years.

Of course there's a lot of things I thought were really neat. Lelouch having a girl mark a wall every day to see how long Geass could last, Mao going insane because his Geass developed too well so he became obsessed with C.C. who he could not read, and later the same thing happening to Lelouch at the best possible timing, just small details like that really made me more into it.

I actually feel like Lelouch is one of the better protagonists I've seen, and that the cast of Geass is pretty good. Except for Nina. And Rolo. And Ohgi. And Suzaku half of the time. And it's a pretty big cast, even people who weren't that important or weren't the focus like Tohdoh, Rakshata or Milly I liked. There's at least some complexity to most characters.

Another of the things I knew about the show beforehand was how R2 was apparently the worst thing ever and where the show jumped the shark. But that's bullshit, because it jumped the shark way before that. Twice even, once when Mao kidnaps Nunnally and twice when the Euhpanator rises. R2 is definitely more ridiculous, even from the very first scene of the first episode, but I don't think there was a moment where I thought "Yep, this is it. The shark has officially been jumped." There were times when I thought it was getting a little contrived (how many people knew Zero was Lelouch by the time it didn't matter anymore? Like, 9?) or the increasing silliness of Geass powers like Rolo's and that one experiment kid who could force people into doing things (isn't that just Lelouch's but worse since they know what's happening), and by the last arc I was confused who was on who's side and why (Suzaku, Kallen, especially Nina) but I never thought it was out of the ordinary or marked a decline in quality.

I think I'm rambling now so I'll just list my favorite parts of the series -
  • Emperor Wakamoto
  • Lloyd's entire character
  • C.C.
  • Pizza Hut
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
  • The OST
  • "Elevens"
  • Tamaki thinking he and Zero are besties
  • Lelouch being Chuuni as fuck at every opportunity
  • Cornelia
  • The ending of R1
  • The troll ending of R2

TL;DR Geass is dumb, but the kind of dumb I can appreciate, and I liked it a lot. I don't know if this says more about me or about the series. My only regret is not being able to watch it while it aired.
Also fuck Nina, and LELOUCH WAS RIGHT

You've done it. You've completed the greatest show of our time. The mighty hand of Geass has blessed us, and now you know why.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH

Nina is truly a legend.

table-kun ;_;

Geass is still in a class of its own

I remember when Valvrave was happening last year and everyone was like "OMG!!1! it's like Code Geass b-b-b-but in space!!!!" and it really wasn't even in the same universe as Geass.

You

You reading this.

Watch Doremi.

No!

Forgive me Ghost of Hito...

Twintail is AOTY, there are no contest.

I want to be an Eremerian.

PuPiPo though.

Everyone who doesn't watch PuPiPo before AotY voting is a thought criminal.

Gonna start Shin Sekai Yori for the second time after seeing you guys go though it. I dropped it the first time after like 2 eps from lack of interest, but I'm pumped for round 2.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 10:

So this week the motif is about following your dreams, a battle between the idyllic and the pragmatic and the beginning of the consequences of that path followed. WIth each passing episode I find this show coming closer and closer to reaching AOTY status.

Gonna start Shin Sekai Yori for the second time after seeing you guys go though it. I dropped it the first time after like 2 eps from lack of interest, but I'm pumped for round 2.

Watch at least until like ep05 and if you think what is revealed by then is even remotely interesting, keep going. Because the world building in that show is out of the world.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG 8

So the reason Yoko Kayabuki got appointed the first female PM in Japan was because major scandals forced the ruling party's leadership to resign. In other words she's the Japanese answer to Kim Campbell.

And Ghoda continues to manipulate everyone like child's play.

Midonin

Yuyuyu 10

Now I know what the Vertexes remind me of. The Larva from 11eyes. Of course, 11eyes holds a great sentimental value to me (the VN, and maybe the anime too), so I try to find elements of it in everything. Once again, episode 10 is the major expository one, and some of the guesses are coming true.
Sumi Washio is a Hero. Sumi Washio is also Mimorin, and always has been. Why she has more fairies than everyone else at the "outset" makes sense now, and her plan to destroy the holy tree itself is a gutsy one.

This feels like a lot of visual novels I've played. Some hints of Soranica Ele in there, obviously 11eyes, it's a story I know all too well. Which is why I'm enjoying watching it. Magical girl anime really is the best genre.

jgminto

Is the persona golden Anime any good?

I'm torn on watching it. I haven't played the game and not sure if I will. I did really like persona 3 tho.

You should just play the PS2 (also downloadable on US PSN) version. From what I've heard most of the new content of Golden isn't very good.

phaze

Dropped it at the same point at my first try. Episode 4 is where things start to happen.

Shin Sekai Yori 20

airplaney4jmn.gif

Bastards are dragging this out.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Holy shit there's seriously only 2 episodes still? I forgot about that completely. How do they justify such a slow release schedule? Why would you not wait and release them weekly? or at least monthly?

I can't remember anything from the first 2 eps.

I thought it might have to do with them releasing them theatrically and at 50 min a pop, but yeah, the delay time is still really long. Though aside from the big gulf of time between Episodes 1 and 2, the last three have/will be released at a similar pace to something like Broken Blade's theatrical run, right?

Jarmel

Banned
Idolm@ster-10
iubZBtEQ0vNu1.jpg

Apparently not as shown by 765 Production's (that's not Ryūgū Komachi) work schedule
I found much of this episode intolerable. The snipping bitches from the other production group, the stupid infighting, the other Producer trying to get Producer-san to make the girls give up, and then the Yayoi self-confidence drama. One of these (maybe two) of those elements would have been enough. Problem is that it all snowballed into a drama mess that really felt unsatisfactory on a few levels.

This really just felt like a mess of an episode. This episode also made me really start to dislike Iori, mainly because she doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and her attitude is extremely grating at times.

You should just play the PS2 (also downloadable on US PSN) version. From what I've heard most of the new content of Golden isn't very good.

I actually liked Marie, even if throughout the majority of the game she's a cliched tsundere character. There's an additional dungeon near the end of the game and an extra cutscene that makes it all worth playing though.

Narag

78 Responses in 3 days. There's a geographical map on the poll too and it's weird how there are like no voters west of the mississippi until you hit cali or texas

Jarmel

Banned
This fucking drama in Your Lie in April is so goddamn heavy handed that this is making it painful to watch.

Jesus Christ.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Idolm@ster-10
This episode also made me really start to dislike Iori, mainly because she doesn't know when to shut the fuck up and her attitude is extremely grating at times.
I need a voice clip of Rie Kugimiya laughing.

Noragami - 05

Hiyori is a really kind and thoughtful girl, saving Yukine from Yato's poor living standards and offering to buy him stuff. Perhaps too kind.
I liked that it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns, as the more darker tones emerged with what can happen with the Ayakashi. And we're also reminded about what Yato is capable of.
Daaamn, police woman with whips and guns riding on a lion? this just got 100% more rad

cajunator

Banned

You have to watch several more episodes. You literally havent started the show yet. Everything will hinge on a certain event then its a thrill ride.

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!

Don't read the spoiler Phaze.
He's already too good at speculating. Being rather wrong in this particularly case will make for a deliciously dire realization! And no, that's not vague!

Well thats true. I think even my vague wording might be too much.

Dropped it at the same point at my first try. Episode 4 is where things start to happen.

Shin Sekai Yori 20

airplaney4jmn.gif

Bastards are dragging this out.

Yeah its cruel. This is why I marathoned it. I cant imagine having to watch week to week.

78 Responses in 3 days. There's a geographical map on the poll too and it's weird how there are like no voters west of the mississippi until you hit cali or texas

uhmm....dude?

Suzuka 1-12ish I think - Well, at the very least this show has become at least watchable after the first 8 or so episodes. Ultimately its like a not as good version of Baby Steps, but with a much lesser emphasis on the sport and a greater emphasis on its "by-the-numbers" romance story. Fortunately, the MC has become less of a "plz respond" character and his friend no longer seems like the kind of guy who would molest people. So that's a positive change since the start of the show.

Hattori

Banned
[Seven Deadly Sins] - Ep. 1-4
I really like it so far. The character designs have a certain old school charm to them that I can't explain, but I like it. Hawk is the best though, he's a great tsukkomi/straight man(pig).

Firemind

Your Lie In April #10

Okay, first time I'm getting Nodame vibes from this show. That performance and scenery imagination were quite excellent. Now start the shounen battles. Shine on, Arima, shine on.

Shigatsu - 10

So, Bobduh from wrongeverytime.com whose opinion I still value or at least consider even if some of his stuff is questionable, in particularly his weirdly positive outlook on SAO S2, has mentioned several times that Shigatsu is (purposely) staged like a theater play and that the melodrama and generally heavy handed writing is kinda justified in that regard.

In this episode's direction, I can certainly see that and it's an interesting perspective, one which does kinda offset a bunch of the issues I do have with the show.

However, even so. I'm afraid the writing for the dialogues and monologues (is there some summarizing term for this? Or can you just mention dialogues at times despite referring to both) is still simply shit. So it's not just extremely melodramatic but reading the subs is also cringe inducing a lot of the time.

The physical comedy bits also still just don't seem to work. Not because those wouldn't fit into s.th. similar to a theater play but rather the execution is once again lacking and the whiplash too severe. They feel out of the general atmosphere/mood of the entire show.

No matter what I also still cannot give a shit about the characters. If I got characters I could empathize with instead of this (potential attempt at) staging some grandiose theater play in anime form, I'd personally probably prefer that any day of the week.

But yeh, otherwise this episode 10 on its own really does shine when seen in that light.

edit:
Also, I kinda like that Copin Etude so I looked it up on Youtube. Unsurprisingly I'm not the first looking at the comments.

Thank you Black Zetsu and Madara for once again saving the day.

I remember the exact moment when this happened in the manga, I could only help but cheer as they prevented another Nagato mass resurrection.

No need to screw up the War Arc even more by using the same plot device that ruined the ending to the Pain Arc.

I'm loving it though.

Could people in this thread recommend similar shows? I absolutely love all the dramatic moments of Your Lie in April.

Hmm... Not watched Your Lie in April yet, but if you want romantic melodrama:
Clannad+After Story - On Hulu
Kanon 2006 - On Funimation site
AnoHana - On Crunchyroll Less romance here though
Toradora - On Crunchyroll
Ef - A Tale of Memories - On Crunchyroll
Rumbling Hearts - On Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom